ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 4th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #1
yewtin
ninjette.org newbie

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

06 ninja 250r help!

hey everyone, i recently got my first motorcycle and it's a 06 250r and i love it! great bike, my size(i'm vertically challenged), it packs tons of power and also uses less gas than your average car. i love it. just learned how to ride as well. unfortunately as a newbie, i have also dropped the bike as well. twice.
the first time, nothing too bad happened - misaligned the steering and a few scratches and cosmetic damage.

the second time however i wasn't so lucky, where i dropped it, there was gasoline spilled out from the bike. when i checked under, there were 3 lines, one was a clear(i think that's the battery acid line?) another was connected to the fuel tank under the seat, and i wasn't sure about the 3rd.

not only that but two days later i started up the bike and when i engaged the bike into first gear, i stalled out! the wheel doesn't want to move. i mean, it moves a little but other than that it's locked. it can't be the brakes cause it doesn't lock completely so the only other culprit can be the transmission.
after kicking it around and trying it again it starts working again! just fine. but then when i shut it off it, the problem starts again. anyone can help me with this? i plan to take it to the shop tomorrow but i would like to have some of ya'lls input on this. thanks!
yewtin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #2
dreamzboy
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Honda 600RR

Did you hook back up all of the hoses? Is the bike still leaking gas? A picture would help us see what's going on.
dreamzboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #3
yewtin
ninjette.org newbie

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

no it's not leaking gas anymore. i brought it over to the shop today and they said they were overflow tubes. i'll post up a picture as soon as i get my bike back
yewtin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #4
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

What you describe sounds like a clutch sticking issue. I'm not sure why it just now started doing it after being dropped. Mine has always had a sticky clutch. Just let the bike warm up a minute or two before you put it in gear. It helps to pump the clutch a few times while in neutral. Then bring the RPM up to about 2K - 2.5K, pull the clutch, let go of the brake and pop it in 1st. See if that helps.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #5
Timon
ninjette.org member

Name: Timon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250R

I had the exact same problems with my bike earlier today. As mentioned the easiest way around it is to either let it idle a bit longer before putting it into gear, pumping the clutch, and most of all, holding the revs a little bit high when popping it into gear for the first time.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #6
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Cold clutch could be a problem - it is really grabby when cold. I doubt that the transmission is botched up.

Can you get the bike into neutral?

However, I have to ask: Is your kickstand up? There is a kickstand safety switch that interacts with the clutch safety switch. This switch will not allow the bike to run if the kickstand is down and the bike is in gear. As soon as you let out the clutch, the bike will stall.

Quote:
A bike can be started:
  • in neutral with the side stand down and the clutch out
  • in neutral, with the side stand up and the clutch out
  • in gear, with the side stand down and the clutch in
  • in gear, with the side stand up and the clutch in
Read all about it here: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Underst...afety_switches