ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 12th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #1
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

So there's this little voice nagging at me...

Its saying... MORE POWER.
The 250 is an excellent bike and I dont have a single complaint, however when my buds on 600's/650's jump on the throttle uphill or on a straight and just disappear... it leaves me (haha pun) wanting more power.
A year (6mo maybe? ) from now if I haven't totaled the bike/killed myself Im thinking I might move up to a ZX6R.

Also, not one person has guessed its a 250 yet.
Everyone instantly assumes its a 6'er.

In other news I went for an awesome ride with my brother today up into some mountains and back.
Lesson learned: clean bike after the trip, not before lol.
My brothers visor was at least 2cm thick in bugs in some spots, i kept trying to wipe mine off haha
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #2
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

11 days and you want more already :S
rusninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #3
wtfh4xx

Desire, indeed.
Ready for it? Not yet.
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!

Old June 12th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #4
rusninja

just remember riding to fast is never good :S going up a hill to fast you may not know whats in way until its to late and going to fast in the straights on the street things can pop out, faster you go harder to control.

Just be safe, going faster doesnt always get you places faster. Buddys going to fast tell the to slow down and enjoy the ride, thats why you got a motorcycle right to enjoy more then you can in a cage not to speed on public streets. >.>

Old June 12th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #5
wtfh4xx

I agree with your remarks 100%.
Im not comfortable/dont see any point in doing over 80 on the bike, its just that the acceleration/power would be usefull at times.
Not necessarily for doing 200mph in a straight line :P

It was a gorgeous ride today, saw bunch of deer and an amazing sunset on the way back down into the valley while following some nice twisties.
2010 SE 250R!

Old June 12th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #6
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Hold on to the little ninja for a little longer. I am certain there is much more she can teach you.

Desire for something better... Heh, it's a known feeling, but sometimes it is better to just have the feeling than having the actual thing that you want. I don't know if you play any games, but ... Somehow one always thinks the grass is greener at the next level. That is not very true.

Maybe it is my personality only, but life usually just makes things even more harder on the next level.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #7
wtfh4xx

I hear ya and know what you mean.
This 250 isnt leaving my garage any time soon, just felt like sharing my days events and thoughts.
I look forward to everything she and I are gonna learn together
2010 SE 250R!

Old June 12th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #8
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Anybody can go fast in a straight line on a superbike.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #9
wtfh4xx

See previous post.
"Not necessarily for doing 200mph in a straight line :P"

And I share your sentiments, auto-x and tracks are where its at.
2010 SE 250R!

Old June 13th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #10
rusninja

you can try to regear so your redline comes earlyer if you want acceleration over topspeed :S -1 up front or add to rear. I have no experience but there is a post on regearing on ninjettewiki.;] So maybe someone will chime in a bit more and maybe you can make the little ninja faster at the bottom. :]

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #11
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Change your desire temporarily to become the best rider you can rather than simply desiring more speed. Master U-turns, quick flicks, practice riding in heavy traffic, rainy conditions, etc. Get all you can out of Lil' Ninja before trading her in.
I, too, ride with people on 600s/636s, and I understand your frustration at times. Sometimes I get more joy out of my solo rides because I don't have to worry about anyone up ahead. Log some hours/miles on the 250 for a few months. Consider buying bigger during the off-season (fall/winter). Not only will you be an even better rider by then, but you can save a few hundred $$ !

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #12
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
But the glory of keeping up with or beating your buddies in the twisties is hard to beat. Take joy in improving your riding skill, know that your bike is as good as the lot in the corners, and pick technical rides for your group trips.

Also take joy in knowing that if you sneeze while on the throttle, you aren't going to be pointing at a ditch at 100 mph when you're finished.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #13
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

I love my Ninja. I paid $4000 for it and it does what i paid for it to do. For my commute, riding in an upright position is perfect.

However, when I'm out riding for fun, I find myself wanting better ergos for an aggressive position. I will buy a faster bike when I can afford the extra costs, but at this time my Ninja is a money-saving/learning tool first and a toy second.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #14
rusninja

The few extra seconds up to your disired speed doesnt seems worth the extra money, Because the the speed limit is not higher then 70 anywhere i think. Unless you really consider trying to track your bike. S:

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #15
rusninja

liber you can get clip-ons and rear sets. S:

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #16
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Everybody obeys the speed limit Even the 250 should be governed to a maximum speed of 69mph. That's more than any man could ever need.

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #17
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I say finish out this year with your bike and then go getcha that 6

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #18
speedgsx98
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja 2002, 2008 ZX10-R

I've currently only got (2) 250 ninjas in my fleet...but these were the good old days a year ago when I had a 2008 Zx-10R, 2002 GSXR 1000, and my 2002 ninja 250. Now I've got a couple different 250's for commuting my 51 mile daily round trip commute. Believe me, the power was nice, but not necessary. Frankly, you get bored of a cool bike, even like the one's I had. And I've had plenty more than these. It's just the worry of getting ticketed or jailed for triple digit speeds, the anxiety over getting in over your head in a hurry...none of that is an issue with my 250's. It's like getting blue-balled all the time riding such a capable bike that you can't really use. On the flipside, it's VERY cost effective to own a pre-gen 250 ninja. I used to get 3k miles on a set of tires on my 1000's. I get 15k+ out of my 250 ninja sets that cost only $100 a set =) Yeah, I still miss the power and find myself combing craigslist for a 1000 from time to time, but I don't really need another one.

Here's my old toys. Had a 2010 WRX and 2008 Civic Si at the time. Now just have the WRX and the (2) ninja 250's.

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #19
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Everybody obeys the speed limit Even the 250 should be governed to a maximum speed of 69mph. That's more than any man could ever need.
Except for those few streteches of open Interstate were the limit is now 85MPH.

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #20
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Go track ride a bit. You will find that any and all street riding is lame after you learn how to ride at speed on the track.
Of the group that I trackride with there are 2 250's and 2 enduros and a supermoto as street bikes. NONE of us feel a 600 is a good street bike. There is no need for 120 horse on the street.
You want to go fast on the street?? See ya in the hospital if you survive.
Good luck and to each his own.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #21
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
Go track ride a bit. You will find that any and all street riding is lame after you learn how to ride at speed on the track.
Hell, I've gotten to the point where all I can think about is track riding because what's "fun and enjoyable" to me now is far beyond legal speed limits for the street.

Yesterday I was out riding with my wife, brother, and a friend. My friend was up front and I was right behind him. We hit a set of twisties on one of our favorite (and fastest) roads. He decided to pick up the pace. After about 15 seconds of hauling ass, I wonder how fast I'm actually going. I look down to see I'm doing 75 and still accelerating out of the corner. This is in a 45. What scared me was that I could have easily gone another 10-15 mph faster and still been well within my comfort zone.

I slowed down. I don't ride like that. Not on the street anyway. I made sure to watch myself for the remainder of the day. At this point the street is already boring unless I'm with friends, or on my wife's TU. The 600 is overkill. I am going to make the ZX a track-only bike (which was the plan to begin with). I plan to get the Ryca kit for an S40 at some point down the road for street riding. Unless Suzuki comes out with a TU400 or a TU650 that I could make a cafe' racer. They could beat Ryca at their own game.

Quote:
Of the group that I trackride with there are 2 250's and 2 enduros and a supermoto as street bikes. NONE of us feel a 600 is a good street bike.
I wouldn't say it isn't a good street bike. I think if someone wants a 600 or 1000 sportbike, then so be it. But damn, if you don't have self control, and you are even a half-decent rider, it is too easy to go fast on it. Granted it should be since it was designed specifically for going fast around corners. Even so, with the exception of the decidely snail-stuck-in-molasses-in-the-winter acceleration, my wife's TU250 is a damn blast. And I really don't have to worry too much about speeding tickets on it, because it barely gets to 70 going down a hill.

I think a supermoto would make a great commuter bike if high-speed travel isn't involved.

Quote:
There is no need for 120 horse on the street./
Like I said, if someone wants it, what the hell. The problem I have with statements like these is that we could say that bikes don't belong on the road, period. They are very unsafe after all. Even forgetting all the stupid squids on bikes they don't have the skills to ride, bikes are more dangerous than cars. For that matter, no one needs anything more than something like a basic Smart car or Geo Metro hatchback. Trucks can be rented, unless you need them for business. I could go on, but I think I made my point.

Quote:
You want to go fast on the street?? See ya in the hospital if you survive.
Good luck and to each his own.
Agreed.

Old June 13th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #22
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
keep the 250. you'll be back on it in no time after buying the new bike. there's nothing like trying to pull out every bit of juice from a bike. you can't do that on supersports unless you're rossi. and you're not going to be rossi any time soon.

Old June 13th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #23
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Let me clarify here. There is no need for 120 horse on the street but I would defend anyones right to own one. Im not into the "you must but this light bulb because we say"." You must have this low flow toilet because we say its better". I hate that kind of BS. Choice is what its all about.

Back on point.

If you trackride you know what I mean.

Triple digits is no problem on the track. BIG problem on the street.
Ride your 600 on the track at speed and then hit the street. You will find yourself in jailable territory in short order without even trying on your favorite road. Believe it or not you get used to 140 MPH.

Old June 13th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #24
almost40

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
keep the 250. you'll be back on it in no time after buying the new bike. there's nothing like trying to pull out every bit of juice from a bike. you can't do that on supersports unless you're rossi. and you're not going to be rossi any time soon.
I think Im Rossi every now and again. I get/got a rude awakening while sliding on the asphalt behind my bike. lol
I did turn a 1:44 at Gingerman this weekend. Which is respectable on a real sportbike and downright impressive on an stock FZ6 (according to the APEX racing team riders)
Did I mention in my search for another 1/2 second I laid it down in turn 3 going 60mph or so?
Not a scratch on me. (thanks to my Joe Rocket leathers)
AGATT.

Old June 13th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #25
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
I think Im Rossi every now and again. I get/got a rude awakening while sliding on the asphalt behind my bike. lol
I did turn a 1:44 at Gingerman this weekend. Which is respectable on a real sportbike and downright impressive on an stock FZ6 (according to the APEX racing team riders)
Did I mention in my search for another 1/2 second I laid it down in turn 3 going 60mph or so?
AGATT.
Hahaha. ok. i guess you can TRY. but you might not do so well. especially off the track

Old June 13th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #26
almost40

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Hahaha. ok. i guess you can TRY. but you might not do so well. especially off the track
or sliding on it lol
BTW the FZ6 crashes great. Had to push it over as it was wheels up not down when it came to a stop.
Fixed her in 15 min and hit the track for the next session. New clip-on bar and a peg and she was good to go.
Learned that when a yammi is upside down there is an internal kill switch that can only be disabled by removing the key for 5 seconds. Then she fired right up.

Old June 13th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #27
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
AGATT.
Nice. Not the slide, obviously, but everything else.

Old June 14th, 2011, 05:48 AM   #28
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Believe it or not you get used to 140 MPH.
Yeah, like you can get off and walk

Quote:
Learned that when a yammi is upside down there is an internal kill switch that can only be disabled by removing the key for 5 seconds. Then she fired right up.
Piece of foam will disable that. if your rippin on the track, you better disable it now....... one day that LAS might just put you on your ass.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #29
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

I am also wanting the 636, lots of controversy, but hell.

It's the reviews that get you the egde. I prefer to do the high speeds on the track tho