ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old February 21st, 2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
So apparently I'm competing with Jiggles

Got nailed today, I'll be shocked if Hotaru isn't totalled out.

What I learned (important part first): You can never 'just cruise' while on a bike; I let my guard down and it bit me. More to the specific incident: always be wary around slow cars/traffic. I will say I think I would've had the same accident in a cage; but that's irrelevant.

What happened: was heading down the road from my hotel to work. In the far right lane. Farther up this road the right lane and the two left lanes 'split' to two different roads, so lots of traffic in one but not the other isn't uncommon. Light ahead of me was red, lots of traffic in the left lanes, I didn't think anything of it. Anyway, there was a gap at one point I didn't see until I was on top of it with a car turning left (I assumed it was solid cars all the way to the red light ahead). By the time I saw him it was too late.

Contributing Factor: I had moved to the far left of my lane from a van that was trying to pull out to make sure he saw me/give myself more time. I was working my way back to the right when this happened. If I were farther to the right sooner I might've seen him earlier. Probably not enough to stop the accident but every bit helps.

And the video:

Link to original page on YouTube.
Also: Not an excuse but remember this is a wide angle lens -- the distances are shorter than they look.

*sniffle* Poor baby bike. I was fine though. Ironically if I had been a bit slower this could've gone way worse by having me hit the cabin instead of the hood.

Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old February 21st, 2013, 07:27 PM   #2
outasight20
ninjette.org member

Name: Weezy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Got nailed today, I'll be shocked if Hotaru isn't totalled out.

What I learned (important part first): You can never 'just cruise' while on a bike; I let my guard down and it bit me. More to the specific incident: always be wary around slow cars/traffic. I will say I think I would've had the same accident in a cage; but that's irrelevant.

What happened: was heading down the road from my hotel to work. In the far right lane. Farther up this road the right lane and the two left lanes 'split' to two different roads, so lots of traffic in one but not the other isn't uncommon. Light ahead of me was red, lots of traffic in the left lanes, I didn't think anything of it. Anyway, there was a gap at one point I didn't see until I was on top of it with a car turning left (I assumed it was solid cars all the way to the red light ahead). By the time I saw him it was too late.

Contributing Factor: I had moved to the far left of my lane from a van that was trying to pull out to make sure he saw me/give myself more time. I was working my way back to the right when this happened. If I were farther to the right sooner I might've seen him earlier. Probably not enough to stop the accident but every bit helps.

And the video:

Link to original page on YouTube.
Also: Not an excuse but remember this is a wide angle lens -- the distances are shorter than they look.

*sniffle* Poor baby bike. I was fine though. Ironically if I had been a bit slower this could've gone way worse by having me hit the cabin instead of the hood.

Glad to hear you're ok. Sorry to say that the accident was 100% avoidable by simply slowing down when driving past stopped traffic in busy city situations.

Any injuries? Looks like you were going at least 30MPH when you hit that Benz.
outasight20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 07:30 PM   #3
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Oof! And nice roll across the hood! Glad you're okay! Let's not turn this into a competition with Jigs, though.

Old February 21st, 2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
I'm pretty sure I was going dead on 30 MPH when it happened, actually (speed limit was 35, I was easing off a bit since I saw the light ahead but not on the brakes or anything). Yeah, in retrospect seeing that traffic to my side should've told me to slow down but the stupid "it's always like that" part of my mind didn't give any risk to it and so I didn't. Lesson learned >.<

But I'm fine: a couple of light bruises, and a bit of adrenaline-come-down headache is all I suffered.

Assuming she's totalled I can either look for a new 2012 250 or maybe a 300 (I prefer the 250, but with the amount of highway driving I do the 300 is tempting). Wondering how much leverage I'll have -- they're probably going to try and offer me only enough for a used bike I suspect.

Old February 21st, 2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHairSar View Post
Oof! And nice roll across the hood! Glad you're okay! Let's not turn this into a competition with Jigs, though.
I know better than that. First, it's not a fun competition. Second, I'm sure Jigs would wipe the floor with me (especially if there's extra points for injury).

Love ya Sean. Stop crashing. That goes for me too.

Old February 21st, 2013, 07:37 PM   #6
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Hope you made it out alright, and sorry to hear about the accident.

Reiterating what he said, whenever I see traffic like that stopped and there is a turning lane, I always slow down and look for cars stopped letting them turn from either direction. Can never be too cautious.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Hope you made it out alright, and sorry to hear about the accident.

Reiterating what he said, whenever I see traffic like that stopped and there is a turning lane, I always slow down and look for cars stopped letting them turn from either direction. Can never be too cautious.
Yep, if there had been a street I might've (though who knows) paid it more attention but he was turning into taco bell which meant my guard was WAY further down than it should've been; that driveway wasn't even there to my mind.

As previous people had said, I should've slowed down -- if I hadn't seen this traffic pattern one hundred times I probably would've, but retrospect is always 20/20. I'm so used to those lanes having solid cars I barely registered them as a blind spot until I was making sense of what happened on the ground. Dumb of me . never again.

Old February 21st, 2013, 07:45 PM   #8
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I know better than that. First, it's not a fun competition. Second, I'm sure Jigs would wipe the floor with me (especially if there's extra points for injury).

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:12 PM   #9
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Glad you're ok! Sorry to hear about the bike though. I'll have to keep this in mind when I start using the 250 in southern California 4o5 traffic.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:15 PM   #10
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

the only clue was the gap with stopped cars, otherwise there was no indication of any car making a left turn.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:16 PM   #11
lgk

when my bike got totalled they offered $4200 for it.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:20 PM   #12
outasight20
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
the only clue was the gap with stopped cars, otherwise there was no indication of any car making a left turn.
Wrong. There is always an indication of all cars making a left turn. This is the only way to ride.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 21st, 2013, 08:22 PM   #13
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

god dayum glad you are ok
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:24 PM   #14
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNewb View Post
Glad you're ok! Sorry to hear about the bike though. I'll have to keep this in mind when I start using the 250 in southern California 4o5 traffic.
405 is actually pretty 'easy' traffic wise (people expect bikes in the HoV split, exits are all on the right); I10 (no HoV) and 'major surface streets' like where this occured are the bigger hazards in my experience because there's more intersections/directions you have to be concerned with.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:27 PM   #15
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
god dayum glad you are ok
Me too!

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:27 PM   #16
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by outasight20 View Post
Wrong. There is always an indication of all cars making a left turn. This is the only way to ride.
Exactly this. lgk's mentality was my mistake -- this is what I should've been doing.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:28 PM   #17
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Very painful to watch.

So simple and so irreversible !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:30 PM   #18
EternalNewb

Quote:
405 is actually pretty 'easy' traffic wise (people expect bikes in the HoV split, exits are all on the right); I10 (no HoV) and 'major surface streets' like where this occured are the bigger hazards in my experience because there's more intersections/directions you have to be concerned with.
Hahaha, that's what I keep telling my concerned family. But they insist that I stick to surface streets.
Anyway, thanks for the advice. I hope your bike situation gets resolved quickly and competently, so you can be back on two wheels again soon.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:31 PM   #19
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Very painful to watch.

So simple and so irreversible !!!
Ah, see -- there's my problem. My 250's tranmission didn't come with reverse, so I can't just undo this whole thing. I'm going to Kawasaki about this obvious oversight!

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:33 PM   #20
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by outasight20 View Post
an indication or an assumption?
one plays off your mindset, the other plays off visual cues.

i agree that you should always assume a car is going to turn in front of you. this way you can plan and have time to escape.

whether visual indicators give time to react is a different story.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:35 PM   #21
EternalNewb

Quote:
Ah, see -- there's my problem. My 250's tranmission didn't come with reverse, so I can't just undo this whole thing. I'm going to Kawasaki about this obvious oversight!

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:37 PM   #22
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNewb View Post
Hahaha, that's what I keep telling my concerned family. But they insist that I stick to surface streets.
Anyway, thanks for the advice. I hope your bike situation gets resolved quickly and competently, so you can be back on two wheels again soon.
Yep, me too. I'm trying to figure out what I should expect if she's totalled -- I'm not about to buy a used bike (I babied Hotaru and don't trust someone who's selling a low mileage 250 to have done the same) plus all my mods plus my gear. Aside: according to the State Farm claims rep my own gear isn't covered -- the helmet they'll pay for but not the jacket/gloves/pants/boots. I've asked them to confirm that and try to get a rider for future incidents. Since this is (I assume) the other party's fault though those should all fall under their liability, correct?

Regardless of the payout, if she's totalled I'm getting a new bike -- the only question is should I grab a 2012 250 or a 2013 300. I would love the extra power of the 300, given the amount of traveling I do, but I think the 250 is way cuter (at least once you get the flush mounts on) and more fun to tweak than a FI bike would be.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:39 PM   #23
outasight20
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
an indication or an assumption?
one plays off your mindset, the other plays off visual cues.

i agree that you should always assume a car is going to turn in front of you. this way you can plan and have time to escape.

whether visual indicators give time to react is a different story.
Very well said.

You should always assume and prepare for cars to do the worst thing they can do in any particular situation. Whether you have time to react when they actually do these things is a different story.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:44 PM   #24
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Glad you're OK! You were fortunate to be able to fly over the hood rather than absorb all of that energy up front if you were completely stopped by the car. The video shows both that you may have been able to avoid it if going a bit slower around stopped traffic, but it also shows that the car driver made a clear mistake by pulling across an open lane of traffic before confirming it was clear.

The hit was solid enough that I have no doubt the bike will be considered totalled. My vote is for the 300. Heal up!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:49 PM   #25
EternalNewb

Maybe one of the other guys on the forum (like Jiggles), could chime in and be of more help on what you may be able to expect insurance-wise.
It would be nice to have a little extra power for the freeways (my daily commute is over 80 miles, sometimes more), but I can kind of relate to what you're saying about the 250 from a mechanical and aesthetic standpoint. I haven't sat on a 300 yet, let alone test ride one, so I can't say too much though.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:49 PM   #26
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Glad you're OK! You were fortunate to be able to fly over the hood rather than absorb all of that energy up front if you were completely stopped by the car. The video shows both that you may have been able to avoid it if going a bit slower around stopped traffic, but it also shows that the car driver made a clear mistake by pulling across an open lane of traffic before confirming it was clear.

The hit was solid enough that I have no doubt the bike will be considered totalled. My vote is for the 300. Heal up!
Thanks Alex; can you give some justification for the 300? Just curious as you are someone who's ridden both I'd love to hear it. Why can't they just put the 300 in the 250s body? :P She's just so UGLY!

Yeah, I was talking with some friends on the phone about it -- it's almost good that I didn't have the reaction speed to brake because if I had I likely would've hit the cabin instead of the hood, which could've been MUCH worse.

Still, that road will forever scare the shizzles out of me now and I'll be more aware. Condition white is bad on a bike, and I was in it. Bad Yakaru.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:56 PM   #27
xSean13

Hmmm...so new thread on your next bike options? R6 or GSXR-600 are the only logical options. I myself prefer the cbr 600rr

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:58 PM   #28
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Hmmm...so new thread on your next bike options? R6 or GSXR-600 are the only logical options. I myself prefer the cbr 600rr
hahaha, Dennis at BeachMoto (my fav gear shop) was pushing me to replace her with a 2013 636 -- I told him Ninjette would never forgive me.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:59 PM   #29
xSean13

Quote:
hahaha, Dennis at BeachMoto (my fav gear shop) was pushing me to replace her with a 2013 636 -- I told him Ninjette would never forgive me.
I'd forgive you...that's a sick bike

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:05 PM   #30
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Thanks Alex; can you give some justification for the 300? Just curious as you are someone who's ridden both I'd love to hear it.
Here's my initial review of our new bike.

Quote:
Why can't they just put the 300 in the 250s body? :P She's just so UGLY
Really? I find the new bike a bit more attractive. It definitely looks more modern, with more sharpness / less gentle curves, so I can understand how it might not be universally liked. But I'm hard-pressed to call it ugly!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:07 PM   #31
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Really? I find the new bike a bit more attractive. It definitely looks more modern, with more sharpness / less gentle curves, so I can understand how it might not be universally liked. But I'm hard-pressed to call it ugly!
From the side she doesn't look bad, from the front though I just detest the look of her. Especially the turn signals -- I think my Protons looked way sharper on Hotaru than those blocky things. I'll take it under advisement though; and read that review. Thanks.

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:13 PM   #32
beren
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

The new gens are ugly enough, but but the 300s are fuuuuuugly

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:15 PM   #33
EternalNewb

I actually like the lines on the 250. The 300 is nice, but for some reason the 250 has really grown on me.

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:19 PM   #34
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
From the side she doesn't look bad, from the front though I just detest the look of her. Especially the turn signals -- I think my Protons looked way sharper on Hotaru than those blocky things. I'll take it under advisement though; and read that review. Thanks.
aw, really? I like that cute lil' winky face and stubby turn signals

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:25 PM   #35
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:

And way to fail, you are supposed to break a leg and get paid 250k, duh.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:29 PM   #36
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Yeah that sucks and your luck to be alright from hitting that hard. Chalk it up to experience and add it to your things to look out for. I've had this almost happen a few times but we both get it stop just in time luckily.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:32 PM   #37
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
And way to fail, you are supposed to break a leg and get paid 250k, duh.
I'm shocked -- it took you 2 hours to reply! I expected around 2 minutes :P

Yeah, I totally blow at this destroying my bike and body thing. :P How are you doing, by the by? Recovered from your 1k hit yet?

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:41 PM   #38
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
I'm shocked -- it took you 2 hours to reply! I expected around 2 minutes :P

Quote:
Yeah, I totally blow at this destroying my bike and body thing. :P How are you doing, by the by? Recovered from your 1k hit yet?
Oddly enough my shin still hurts when I touch it, it feels like the day after you ran full speed into a coffee table because you are an uncoordinated ****tard. My pinky still hurts a bit and my wrist still hurts a bit.

Oh and my insurance just paid out the remaining 150k*

Oh and my disability payments just got reinstated

Oh and the check for my N1K is coming next week

Oh and I'm getting my BMW next week

Oh and my insurance is going down $600/yr

Subtract 50k for lawyer fees, subtract doctor bills, MRI's, Xrays, physical therapy, medication, etc. Receive whatevers left, hopefully enough to pay off ALL my student loans.

How about you? Broken at all? Are those held gloves in your vid? You'll probably get over 4k for you bike btw, you should probably get a K1300S, anything smaller will just make you look like a pansy
AFM #676

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:48 PM   #39
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
[How about you? Broken at all? Are those held gloves in your vid? You'll probably get over 4k for you bike btw, you should probably get a K1300S, anything smaller will just make you look like a pansy
No, just a dime sized bruise and a thumb that aches if I move it too much (a fist is 0 pain but it kind of smarts to do the 'four' count post). Yep, those are my Phantoms.

So what should I expect regarding gear and my mods? e.g. Let's say I decide to get a 300 -- should I/can I demand they buy me an AreaP for it? Any 'value' I should demand from the work done to the bike (e.g. tuning carbs and such)? And what about gear? My pants and jacket have some hits, probably servicable but I'd rather be safe.

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:52 PM   #40
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
No, just a dime sized bruise and a thumb that aches if I move it too much (a fist is 0 pain but it kind of smarts to do the 'four' count post). Yep, those are my Phantoms.

So what should I expect regarding gear and my mods? e.g. Let's say I decide to get a 300 -- should I/can I demand they buy me an AreaP for it? Any 'value' I should demand from the work done to the bike (e.g. tuning carbs and such)? And what about gear? My pants and jacket have some hits, probably servicable but I'd rather be safe.
If you have receipts you can claim it. Scratch on your gear? Claim it. Physical therapy/chiropracter/w/e you need, claim it. They must pay to make you (and your situation) whole again. You might have to play hardball but they will replace everything
AFM #676