ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 14th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #81
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

I think the bottom line is that you are not currently independent of her. You aren't in your own place, and your aren't supporting yourself. Should you become horribly maimed, I'm guessing it is she that will have to deal with it both emotionally and financially.

If you have to ask, the answer is no.
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #82
zev42
ninjette.org member

Name: Michelle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

My mom doesn't know about my bike... and I've had it for a year now. However, I'm financially independent and live under my own roof.

Whenever she comes over to visit, my bike is in plain sight, but she just assumes it belongs to my boyfriend. So really, I never lied to her... I just haven't mentioned the topic, and she's never asked any questions
zev42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #83
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by zev42 View Post
My mom doesn't know about my bike... and I've had it for a year now. However, I'm financially independent and live under my own roof.

Whenever she comes over to visit, my bike is in plain sight, but she just assumes it belongs to my boyfriend. So really, I never lied to her... I just haven't mentioned the topic, and she's never asked any questions
And you really think she doesn't know? IMO, if she's not asking, it's because she knows, but doesn't want to know...
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #84
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I can't tell *you* what to do, because I doubt we have all the information about the situation...

But, here's what *I* would do.

While under her roof, I wouldn't by the bike. But, I'd start shopping around for my own place and make sure she's knows I'm shopping around.

Also, I'd start buying gear. She said no bike, but she didn't say no gear, right?

I'd also make it clear that I'm shopping around for my own place and buying gear because I respect her rules, but I am getting a bike...

Honestly, it sounds like having your own place would be a good growing experience for both of you.

Also, I'm spoiled. I didn't get a bike until I was 30. I told my wife I wanted a bike and she said "NO!... Unless I get one too!"

My Dad just started riding, so that's been a lot of fun helping him pick out and work on his bike.
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #85
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Quote:
dating a liberal, whatever. Just something that would really, really set you off.

(Given your avatar, I figured the last one would really get you going. )
Hahahahahaha

I understand what you mean. It would be pretty harsh I would be pissed and I bet can see how you wouldnt look at someone the same way.

Old September 14th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #86
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
It will have to do with trust.
It's ultimately your decision of course, but I think that most people would take hiding something like that from them as a sign of a huge amount of disrespect -- the kind that would seriously damage a relationship for some people.
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #87
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Name: JaeL

Motorcycle(s): 2008 EX250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavid2002 View Post
Not really, When I was a kid we went through some stuff and got really close. I haven't really had a father-figure around so when I want to hunt-shoot-ride-fish-etc....Im on my own. Thats about the only problem. Again we bump heads on this one so much primarily (IMO) Because she worked in an ER for years and years so she has seen everyone who comes in there mangled, crunched, smashed, and ripped apart. Its like asking a member of PETA to hunt....

(People Eating Tasty Animals LOL!)
I like how you didn't answer why you haven't moved out......

Old September 15th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #88
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I like how you didn't answer why you haven't moved out......
A buddy of mine moved out, found a nice place for a reasonably rate...it was like 300/Mo. or something like that not including electric. It was 1200 but they split it 4 ways. Him, his gf, and these two lesbians they lived with. Turns out after a few months the lesbians were crazy, one was bi-polar and the other was pissy all the time. They would bitch about everything and since abes gf wasnt on the contract they threatened to kick her out. When he wanted to leave they offered to take him to small claims court for signing the contract for a year and leaving 3 months later. He got away legit but he had to pay them about 1k extra to leave. Thats bullshit im not going to get into that. Besides college costs 23k a year (Not now im at community for a semester about 1.8k) and I couldnt work a part time job while im at college. For now at community college I can handle a full time job + this but not at a regular college.

Theres the answer : )

Old September 15th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #89
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Besides college costs 23k a year (Not now im at community for a semester about 1.8k) and I couldnt work a part time job while im at college. For now at community college I can handle a full time job + this but not at a regular college.
Sooo.... I'm curious... If you can't afford to move out, how are you going to afford a bike? And no one said you have to get room mates. Or the same room mates your friend had.

Honestly, I think your answer about moving out also answered your question about getting the bike. Maybe you need to re-evaluate your priorities... I know I have to from time to time...

Old September 15th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #90
killerkay3
=°°=

Name: Imran

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha R6 / 2008 Green Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
A buddy of mine moved out, found a nice place for a reasonably rate...it was like 300/Mo. or something like that not including electric. It was 1200 but they split it 4 ways. Him, his gf, and these two lesbians they lived with. Turns out after a few months the lesbians were crazy, one was bi-polar and the other was pissy all the time. They would bitch about everything and since abes gf wasnt on the contract they threatened to kick her out. When he wanted to leave they offered to take him to small claims court for signing the contract for a year and leaving 3 months later. He got away legit but he had to pay them about 1k extra to leave. Thats bullshit im not going to get into that. Besides college costs 23k a year (Not now im at community for a semester about 1.8k) and I couldnt work a part time job while im at college. For now at community college I can handle a full time job + this but not at a regular college.

with all the stuff going on in your life, i say hold off on the bike...at least until you've got a steady income
killerkay3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #91
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:

crazy bipolar lesbians - great name for a band - however this is useless w/o pics
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #92
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zev42 View Post

sounds like a don't ask, don't tell situation. i can understand parents being concerned/cautious.

Old September 15th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #93
backinthesaddleagain

as a kid i always wanted a bb gun. my mother wouldn't let me have one, but she did by me a bow and arrow. man that thing would shoot right throught the metal trashcans and side of the shed. not to mention me and my friends shooting that thing straight up in the air. maybe that bb gun would have been a better choice.

Old September 15th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #94
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowuff View Post
Sooo.... I'm curious... If you can't afford to move out, how are you going to afford a bike? And no one said you have to get room mates. Or the same room mates your friend had.

Honestly, I think your answer about moving out also answered your question about getting the bike. Maybe you need to re-evaluate your priorities... I know I have to from time to time...
His buddy has nothing to do with him moving out. He has just set his mind on the bike and not being a big boy and moving out.

Old September 15th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #95
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeL View Post
His buddy has nothing to do with him moving out. He has just set his mind on the bike and not being a big boy and moving out.
Yeah, that was the point I was trying to get across. His buddy should have nothing to do with him moving out. But he is clearly using his buddies experience as an excuse not to move.

Many people move out of their parents house when they are 18. I would venture to say that most of them survive. And many of them are probably better people for the experience. I certainly am. Man I was such a dick when I was 18.

Old September 15th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #96
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
crazy bipolar lesbians - great name for a band - however this is useless w/o pics
no trust me dude, these girls were raunchy...they were both huge and the fridge was stacked with ice cream all the time be glad there are no pix

Old September 15th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #97
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Quote:
lol

Old September 15th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #98
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yeah, that was the point I was trying to get across. His buddy should have nothing to do with him moving out. But he is clearly using his buddies experience as an excuse not to move.

Many people move out of their parents house when they are 18. I would venture to say that most of them survive. And many of them are probably better people for the experience. I certainly am. Man I was such a dick when I was 18.
So tell me how you did it : )

Using my buddes experience as a reason not to move....Yeah because I didnt say **** about money or anything, How much did you pay for an apartment? You didnt have roomates? How did you afford college and a appartment at the same time? Did you go to college?

Old September 15th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #99
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Let me refer to something you said in the past "I Like how"

You didn't bother to address my financial aspects of moving out.

Old September 15th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #100
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

What is there to address? What you've said is that you can't survive without someone else paying for you. Nothing wrong with that, as many teenagers, even those 18+, are certainly in the same boat and hope their parental units will continue to provide a tremendous amount of support. Including picking up a chunk of that $23K/year you list as college expenses.

What you don't seem to be grasping, is that you have no inalienable right to force her to pay for you to do just about anything at this point. Either you can be self-sufficient, or you can't. Binary. If you can't be self-sufficient, then you pretty much have to agree to her conditions for that financial support. Either explicitly or implicitly. Trying to game the system just isn't going to work. You don't have a right to a bike. You don't have a right to college. You don't have a right to much more than life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness like the rest of us. I think you're going to look back at this thread in a few years and feel a bit differently than you seem to be expressing so far.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #101
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Using my buddes experience as a reason not to move....Yeah because I didnt say **** about money or anything, How much did you pay for an apartment? You didnt have roomates? How did you afford college and a appartment at the same time? Did you go to college?
I moved in with two friends who were a couple. We got an apartment and split the bills. We didn't always get along, but it was a good growing experience for all of us. We all ended up going our separate ways, but we are all still friends. I had enough trouble keeping a car going at the time. There was no way I could afford a bike. But, I couldn't have afforded a bike if I had stayed home.

If you can afford a bike at home, you can afford to move out and live by your own rules. Maybe that includes getting a bike. Maybe not. I think the bigger issue here then the bike is you wanting to break your mom's rules.

When I finally decided I wanted I bike, I had to save up for 3 years, just to get a 250. It's hard. But I think I appreciate it more. And, I was living with my wife (then girlfriend). It's not much more expensive to live WITH someone then to live alone. That's why people have room mates. It gives you more money to play with while getting started on your own.

But, you seem like you've already decided that all room mates are bad. So, I guess that's not an option for you. Too bad, because you could probably have the bike and not break your Mom's rules.

Old September 16th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #102
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Quote:

Using my buddes experience as a reason not to move....Yeah because I didnt say **** about money or anything, 1. How much did you pay for an apartment? 2. You didnt have roomates? 3. How did you afford college and a appartment at the same time? 4. Did you go to college?
I know this doesn't apply to me but I feel like hijacking. Let's play Did You Know with JaeL!

1. $400 a month. Two Bed Rooms Full Kitchen and Bathroom big enough for a wash n dryer.

2. One, my wife but she didn't contribute financially. Only in the bed room.

3. Football Scholarship

4. Yes

Old September 16th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #103
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I'm highjacking too, since I'm sick of people who don't work through college, because Mommy and Daddy pay for it. I never received a single cent towards college from my folks. I managed to work a full-time job and even an occational additional part-time job the entire time I have been at school. I payed my own rent now have my own home with mortgage and my own tuition. I bought my own cars/bike. I have a wife and daughter and I will be finishing my BA in December this year.

Throughout my time at University, I have grown sick an tired of people in my classes who have absolutely no responsibility because Mom and Dad pay, and they still can't seem to get to class on time or turn in their work on time. Become indipendent and apply for a Grant for help.

So I'm answering the Damn questions too.

1. Apartment = $600/month... House $1,150 first and $300 second mortgage.

2. In the Apartment=No. I have a Family now. Been married 4.5 years and my daughter is 2.

3. Worked my ass off. Pell grants for tuition.

4. Yes.

Old September 16th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #104
lunerkid
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

So I don't have much time to read the whole thread but here is my story.

Since I was young, I have always wanted to ride a motorcycle. No one in my family and extended family have ever ridden one. I confronted my parents I wanted to ride a motorcycle just about the time I already had my drivers license (16). When I asked them, it would always just be the answer of:

"It is to dangerous even if you are safe, other people are not."

I wouldn't bring the question up until I was 18, 20 and now 21. I am a full time student at a uni and just recently brought the question back up (since I still live under their roof with their rules, but I do work to pay my own tuition/books and can buy my own bike). I told them I do intend to buy a bike the moment I move out and really tried to educate my parents of the precautions I am taking to become a safe rider.
My parents finally agreed saying I did handle the entire thing maturely and knew I was going to get one eventually regardless.

I would say hold out on the bike whether you move out or stay living with your mom till you, yourself, are fully independent, then your mom has really nothing else to say.
lunerkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #105
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunerkid View Post
So I don't have much time to read the whole thread but here is my story.

Since I was young, I have always wanted to ride a motorcycle. No one in my family and extended family have ever ridden one. I confronted my parents I wanted to ride a motorcycle just about the time I already had my drivers license (16). When I asked them, it would always just be the answer of:

"It is to dangerous even if you are safe, other people are not."

I wouldn't bring the question up until I was 18, 20 and now 21. I am a full time student at a uni and just recently brought the question back up (since I still live under their roof with their rules, but I do work to pay my own tuition/books and can buy my own bike). I told them I do intend to buy a bike the moment I move out and really tried to educate my parents of the precautions I am taking to become a safe rider.
My parents finally agreed saying I did handle the entire thing maturely and knew I was going to get one eventually regardless.

I would say hold out on the bike whether you move out or stay living with your mom till you, yourself, are fully independent, then your mom has really nothing else to say.
+1

preety much the same thing i have done
2005 CBR600RR - 2:19 Calabogie Motorsports Park, Ontario, Canada
binlagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #106
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Quote:
But, you seem like you've already decided that all room mates are bad
Never said there all bad...who do I live with in college? I had roommates at the academy, and I will have roommates this spring.

Old September 18th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #107
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I had roommates at the academy, and I will have roommates this spring.
So, if you'll have roommates this spring, that means you won't be living with your Mom, right? Why not get a bike then? Problem solved...

Old September 18th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #108
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Why not get a bike then? Problem solved...
I'm guessing it might be because, based on what I've read in this thread, patience is not a big part of the picture here.

It's funny. I know I was impatient at that age, though I don't recall being THAT impatient.

Now that I'm on the wrong side of the half-century mark waiting for things is simply not a problem. With age comes the long view, I suppose.

Over time I've become increasingly aware that many people seem to be unable to think beyond the end of the week. Some can't seem to think beyond the end of the day.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #109
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I'm guessing it might be because, based on what I've read in this thread, patience is not a big part of the picture here.

It's funny. I know I was impatient at that age, though I don't recall being THAT impatient.

Now that I'm on the wrong side of the half-century mark waiting for things is simply not a problem. With age comes the long view, I suppose.

Over time I've become increasingly aware that many people seem to be unable to think beyond the end of the week. Some can't seem to think beyond the end of the day.
I can't think beyond the end of my nose.

Old September 18th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #110
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Left home at 17 and worked as a mechanic`s assistant for a year--no car--took a bus to work. At 18, I changed jobs--worked at an MC Shop as a mechanic/trainee. Enrolled at a Community College and attended night classes with some very motivated adults. Got a two year degree. Decided to play "Draft roulette"--classified 1-A, and work full time at the bike shop--got a good raise, save for college. My apartment cost $25 a week (a real dump). Went to the university for one year (got a 2-S deferrment). During that time you HAD to maintain a 3.0 GPA or better--or be drafted. I got a 3.7 going to college full time and working 20 hours a week at the bike shop. I did buy a very used 250 for transportation. The next year I again played draft roulette and worked full time at the bike shop. College year four was a repeat--going to school full time, and working part time. I graduated with a degree in English Lit. Summa Cum Laude. That fall, I made good on my obligation, and joined the Army. Did four years in the Army--one year recouperating from being on the wrong side of an AK-47. When I got out. it was Deja-vu. The GI bill paid 1/4 of the tuition--including living expenses--so I had to work. The GI Bill also only paid if you attended full time. I had an 80 Credit Hour degree ahead of me for $400 a credit hour--a lot of money then. Got a job as an orderly at a State Mental Hospital working from midnight to eight. I again lived in a dump and drove a 12 year old Dodge Dart rust bucket. Three years later I graduated second in my class with an MSW, specializing in Gerontology. When I got my degree, I got promoted to an entry level Social Worker and spent the next 20 years working at the hospital. I also worked at the ER three evenings a week and weekends. Trust me, going to college, living on your own, and working, is not a "piece of cake", but does require some maturity and some belt tightening. No,you won`t be driving a Corvette, live in a luxury town house, have your Ninja, and have your tuition and books paid for. In order to do that, you will have to win the Lottery. There ain`t such a thing as a free lunch. I saved my money and bought into the motorcycle shop. We did very well and I "graduated" into the middle class. It took a while, but I was patient. I also became very resiliant.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #111
devinjc
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 205 Black

Did I miss the correct answer, which is "Yeah, you can totally pull it off, just don't let her see the bike. Everything will be cool at home, AND you can have the motorcycle." Which is obviously the only answer the OP was looking for.
devinjc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #112
Sailariel

James, I don`t know how many people are on this forum....but if EVERYBODY weighs in on this thread, we might have a shot for a Guiness record for the longest thread.

Old September 18th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #113
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinjc View Post
Did I miss the correct answer, which is "Yeah, you can totally pull it off, just don't let her see the bike. Everything will be cool at home, AND you can have the motorcycle." Which is obviously the only answer the OP was looking for.

Sounds like one of these about to happen.

Old September 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #114
devinjc
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 205 Black

About to happen? Apologies, I thought the train jumped the tracks somewhere around the bend of page 3.
devinjc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #115
adouglas
Cat herder

The thread may have, but he hasn't bought the bike or moved out yet, right?

He's going to do what he's going to do. He asked for opinions and has gotten plenty of them. If he's like most of us, he'll give the ones that say what he wants to hear greater weight and discount the rest. That's just human nature.

What would be really interesting is to hear back from him in a year or so with a follow-up so we can see what came of all this.

Old September 18th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #116
backinthesaddleagain

Its like the line in the Rush song "he's old enough to know whats right and young enough not to choose it"

Old September 18th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #117
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I think this is really an issue of character, not motorcycles.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #118
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I think this is really an issue of character, not motorcycles.
Doc, That`s definitely a Home Run. A one sentence summary--spot on!

Old September 19th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #119
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Doc, That`s definitely a Home Run. A one sentence summary--spot on!
Well natch. Look at his user name!

Old September 19th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #120
tiburonsita
ninjette.org member

Name: m

Motorcycle(s): 2009 black Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Oh my Dave - so many questions, so many issues and I'm afraid you wont' like the answer most of us give you.

First as many have already said as long as you are living in your mom's house with her support you have a responsibility to honor her wishes regardless if you agree with her or not. Same rules applied to our kids when they were still living with us long after 18.

Second, do not think you can get a bike, and all the gear you need to safely ride, and not have your mom find out about it. She will find out some time or some how.

Consider this one situation though; what if despite all your MSF course work, reading, practice, protective gear, and defensive riding, she finds out that you did get a bike by having you wheeled into her ER on a gurney and the only thing the ER doctor could do was officially pronounce the time of death. Think what that would do to her.

Trust me, until you have children of your own you can not begin to imagine the love she has for you and the fear that something will take you away from her. It sounds like you guys have enough issues to deal with.

I'm not saying you shouldn't continue to have open and honest discussions with her about a bike but for now, show her how much of a man you are by honoring her wishes.
Ditto that.

I'll also add that your family friend that is willing to store the bike for you, should really stay out of it. When your mom finds out... and believe me she will... they will be toast. Then YOU'LL be toast Really, you think you can't wait... you have all the excitement and anticipation built up... but you can wait
tiburonsita is offline   Reply With Quote