ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:33 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Maaaaan... I felt sooo cool the other day..

I was pulling out of my shop on the way into town to get some things for the racecar.. and there was a sunday biker gang group ride just pulling out of the park down the hill.

So there's little old me on my two-fiddy, cruising down the street -- and 150+ big cruiser bikes go roaring up the road in the opposite direction -- and every single damn rider drops a hand to wave as they pass me.

Feels nice when you pass another rider or a group of 3, and they all wave. But that was something else.

This post has no purpose, and you can commence bashing on me now and telling me that there was probably something wrong with my bike and they were all pointing at a nail in my tire or something like that... I don't care, I'm still so damn cool and I will still ride a bike for the rest of my life.

Maaaan, I'm so coooool. You ain't NEVER gon be as cool as me.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old April 23rd, 2014, 02:21 AM   #2
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Hahaha, that does sound good

Old April 23rd, 2014, 04:30 AM   #3
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

I rode past a huge group of cruisers last summer, and they all waved as well.

it is nice when cruiser bikes, that while on their own typically won't wave to sportbikes, do so in a large group.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 05:18 AM   #4
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
We get that a lot around my town. Its more uncommon for the lone cruiser rider to wave. Still feels good when it a bunch of cruisers though.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:37 AM   #5
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Name: Garrett

Motorcycle(s): ZX-3R (ok, ex300)

most cruiser riders wave around here.. except the grungy dirtbag "harley in their blood" types (you know, the ones that look like they haven't showered in a month).. pretty much everyone makes an attempt to wave if they see you regardless of what you or they ride, and most of the typical harley folks are pretty friendly to sportbike riders as well.. but nobody waves to scooters.. ever.. I'll drop a couple fingers at a bicycle rider before a scooter rider....
GHill762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 07:19 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 07:34 AM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
they make this fake arm you put on the back of your bike to handle situations like this

Old April 23rd, 2014, 07:59 AM   #8
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHill762 View Post
most cruiser riders wave around here.. except the grungy dirtbag "harley in their blood" types (you know, the ones that look like they haven't showered in a month).. pretty much everyone makes an attempt to wave if they see you regardless of what you or they ride, and most of the typical harley folks are pretty friendly to sportbike riders as well.. but nobody waves to scooters.. ever.. I'll drop a couple fingers at a bicycle rider before a scooter rider.... :rotflmao:
LMAO!!

Old April 23rd, 2014, 08:11 AM   #9
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
I've always gotten most riders to wave back at me but lately they just seem to stare at me and completely turn their head toward me as I go by. It's almost like they are distracted by something that prevents their brain from activating the wave sequence.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 08:14 AM   #10
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Cool

I once had that happen when it was a group of about 20 motorcycle cops going the other direction. They all waved back.

Old April 23rd, 2014, 08:22 AM   #11
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
I was pulling out of my shop on the way into town to get a hooker.. and there was a sunday choir group just pulling out of the Church down the hill.

This post has no purpose

Nice!

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; April 23rd, 2014 at 05:42 PM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 05:31 PM   #12
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Yeah I can tell that cruisers don't wave on the mainland because none of the tourists on rental harleys wave when they come here.

The locals all wave regardless of bike. Feels nice when an entire gang of 150 riders all drop a hand in unison. Felt like a commanding officer going to war and all of my troops saluting as I rode past. I'm so damn cool ya'll homos are never gonna be as cool as me. Think I'm going to go putter around on my 39 horsepower now.

Old April 24th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #13
SonOfTheFonz
ninjette.org member

Name: Fonzy

Motorcycle(s): Janky Ninja 250 2008

if somebody doesn't wave to me, i treat it like that old urban legend....

1. Wave at every rider and wait for somebody not to wave back
2. Immediately bust a U-turn
3. Follow them home
4. ...kill...them...
SonOfTheFonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #14
Sargent
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfTheFonz View Post
if somebody doesn't wave to me, i treat it like that old urban legend....

1. Wave at every rider and wait for somebody not to wave back
2. Immediately bust a U-turn
3. Follow them home
4. ...kill...them...
I'm sitting at work and just busted out laughing as people walked by, I got strange looks.

In my area it seems like the Harley types don't wave, but everyone else does. Especially this one scooter guy. EVERY. DAMN. TIME. And it's some weird electric thing for around town. I just can't bring myself to wave back.
Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #15
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I give a thumbs up to road cyclists, even gave one a bottle of water once since she had run out and was pretty far out from home. However, I couldn't wave to a scooter. I've done it but that's because I was waving to my friend who happened to be on a scooter and not because she was riding a scooter.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #16
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2013 600RR, 2009 250r

Almost everyone around here waves, even the "chopper guys." Really not meaning to stereotype. The motorcycle community around me is pretty awesome in that nobody really cares much what you ride as long as you ride. That being said everyone around here, including sportbikes, are squids. I don't pass judgement, but I wish that they knew the risk they were taking...
Dredgshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #17
evidens83
bike noob

Name: ev

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r(sold) 04 Yamaha R6

Thats awesome OP. Most cruisers wave back to me. I've had maybe 2 snobby sportbike riders not wave back to me though. Whatever. I give the wave to any 2 wheeled rider(no bicycles) including scooters
evidens83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2014, 03:00 AM   #18
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Is seems like the non-wavers are becoming more of a minority.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old April 25th, 2014, 05:56 AM   #19
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Name: Garrett

Motorcycle(s): ZX-3R (ok, ex300)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredgshadow View Post
Almost everyone around here waves, even the "chopper guys." Really not meaning to stereotype. The motorcycle community around me is pretty awesome in that nobody really cares much what you ride as long as you ride. That being said everyone around here, including sportbikes, are squids. I don't pass judgement, but I wish that they knew the risk they were taking...
you just summed up my area as well.. everyone is pretty friendly, they don't really care what you ride, and nobody wears any gear (helmet included) unless it's cold out..
GHill762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2014, 06:12 AM   #20
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Shared a moment w/a stunt rider this morning on my way to class. Dude was in a stanced & stickered out beater truck hauling an absolutely trashed cbr600rr with full stunt modifications. It was obviously set up as a parking lot stunt competition only bike, no lights or anything necessary for it to be street legal. Pretty legit bike for it's intended purpose (stunting obviously) Riders of all kinds are awesome.

Funniest part is that I accidentally left an hour early
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2014, 12:28 PM   #21
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250r

I give the downlow to every rider I see when I am on my Wideglide. When I am on my little 250 I give them the finger. Just kiddin..
jgcable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #22
sonny4472
ninjette.org member

Name: Sonny

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r, 09 1125r, 95 Virago

I wave at everything on two wheels... ...Even scooters, I love scooters!...
sonny4472 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #23
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

That's do damn cool.

I waved to a scooter recently by accident because he was in the oncoming traffic and I couldn't tell it was a scooter by the time he was close to me. It was a very bittersweet feeling...

The only thing I hate about 250's is that their tire width is about the size of a scooters, the only reasonable option for me to get a bigger bike in the future is for the sexy thick tires.

Last futzed with by Brian; April 29th, 2014 at 03:46 PM.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #24
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
What's with the hate on scooters? You know there are scooters around that can out run our ninjettes, right?

Some people choose to ride scooters because they love the feeling of 2 wheels, but need the extra cargo space. Or perhaps a medical reason.

I wave to everyone on a motor bike. Most wave back.

So if I am a veteran who served in 2 Gulf wars, and my left foot was damaged enough to prevent me from shifting without pain, and I choose to ride a scooter.....if I wave to you, you don't wave back?

If so, get off your high horse.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #25
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
What's with the hate on scooters? You know there are scooters around that can out run our ninjettes, right?

Some people choose to ride scooters because they love the feeling of 2 wheels, but need the extra cargo space. Or perhaps a medical reason.

I wave to everyone on a motor bike. Most wave back.

So if I am a veteran who served in 2 Gulf wars, and my left foot was damaged enough to prevent me from shifting without pain, and I choose to ride a scooter.....if I wave to you, you don't wave back?

If so, get off your high horse.
Hmm. I must have been mistaken, I thought the "motorcycle-friendly wave" was motorcycle to motorcycle. I personally dislike scooters. It's not you. I wouldn't know if you have a medical condition or not; it's not something I would know about you when you're riding down the street.. Also, I was referring to 'Mopeds'.

Old April 29th, 2014, 02:29 PM   #26
sonny4472
ninjette.org member

I used to have 3 scooters, they were a lot of fun to ride.
I feel that if everyone rode scooters, it would be a lot safer on the streets.

Old April 29th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #27
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Moto riders? Awesome. Friendly people? Kick ass. Friendly moto riders? Priceless!
Just wait until you pull up beside a stopped school bus. Talk about feeling cool!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2014, 02:57 PM   #28
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
What annoys me about the scooter/moped hate is that a good buddy of mine served 10+ yrs in the military. He was injured in combat and doesn't have the flexibility in his left ankle to shift.

He loves riding. Been riding since he was a kid (dirt, road, track). He is now limited to scooters. From the way he's dressed ATGATT, you'd think he's on a R6.

He's the one that got me back riding.

I know these guys are professionals, but they would probably hand our asses back to us on a track like this

Link to original page on YouTube.

Do me a favor. If a dude on a moped/scooter (is there a difference?) drops 2 fingers as he passes by, have a little respect and do the same if it is safe to do so. You don't know his/her story.

If you want respect from big Harleys and complain they don't wave back because you are on a bike that's 1/8th the size of his motor, aren't you doing the same to guys on scooters?

We all ride. We all put ourselves in the same dangerous environment. We all enjoy the lean angles and vibrations from the machine under us. Shouldn't we all respect and acknowledge each other? Especially when "they" say "hey what's up" first?

In the city (NYC), I normally don't initiate the wave to scooters because most are hipsters on Vespas who ride for the status and don't fully understand the riding culture. They're usually riding in skinny jeans and a flannel button up. Heck, I don't even initiate waves to any motorcycles in NYC. People like the "Hollywood Block Party" riders have no idea wtf I'm doing when I wave. I don't want any of those guys to chase me down for a beat down if they think I'm throwing gang signs.

But, other times I'm pleasantly surprised when I get 2 fingers down low from guys on Piaggios and Vespas. I always return the wave when they wave. Always.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 29th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #29
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post

In the city (NYC), I normally don't initiate the wave to scooters because most are hipsters on Vespas who ride for the status and don't fully understand the riding culture. They're usually riding in skinny jeans and a flannel button up. Heck, I don't even initiate waves to any motorcycles in NYC. People like the "Hollywood Block Party" riders have no idea wtf I'm doing when I wave. I don't want any of those guys to chase me down for a beat down if they think I'm throwing gang signs.

But, other times I'm pleasantly surprised when I get 2 fingers down low from guys on Piaggios and Vespas. I always return the wave when they wave. Always.
You're yelling at me for not initiating the wave for the mopeds you like so much but you have an awful stereotype about some of them. Seriously..

Why wouldn't I wave back if I'm waved at? I'm not arrogant like that?!

Old April 29th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #30
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Sorry. Perhaps I read the posts too quickly. I thought you guys don't wave BACK when a scooter waves at you.

Old April 29th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #31
Brian
ninjette.org sage

That would just be mean.

Old April 30th, 2014, 01:44 AM   #32
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

I knowingly and happily waved at a scooter rider the other day. His face was priceless! I thought he was going to fall over. I am a brand new rider and made this guys day lol. Bicycles are fun too. I have a 10.5 mile mountain road near me that I used to round off my tires and saw a lady on a bicycle going up the mountain as I was coming back down. Gave her a thumbs up just because I know that I would never do that lol props to crazy bike lady

Old April 30th, 2014, 08:51 AM   #33
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

I even wave at the little moped trucking along the side of the road because they cant to the speed limit (yes, we have 1 or 2 that buzz around town).

You want to talk about making someones day??

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old April 30th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #34
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250r

I don't waive to scooters because I don't believe unlicensed unregistered and uninsured powered vehicles should be on the road. I don't waive at scooters because they aren't motorcycle enthusiasts. More likely.. they are in the 12 step program and lost their license and its the only way to get to the bar or... they just stole it from little johnny down the street. You have to draw the line somewhere. Reserve your downlow waive to a fellow motorcycle rider.. not some scooter wannabee or never will be.
jgcable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #35
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

I think thats a very narrow minded way of looking at it.

Maybe that all they can afford right now? Who are you, or anyone else for that matter, to judge?

They are taking the same risks as we are being on the road. Who is to say they aren't enjoying the ride as much as any of us do?

I think you should take a breath and not be so judgmental when you don't know what the story is.

I will wave extra at all scooter and moped riders to make up for you!

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old April 30th, 2014, 12:04 PM   #36
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcable View Post
I don't waive to scooters because I don't believe unlicensed unregistered and uninsured powered vehicles should be on the road. I don't waive at scooters because they aren't motorcycle enthusiasts. More likely.. they are in the 12 step program and lost their license and its the only way to get to the bar or... they just stole it from little johnny down the street. You have to draw the line somewhere. Reserve your downlow waive to a fellow motorcycle rider.. not some scooter wannabee or never will be.
i'm licensed, my scoots are registered and insured. would you know the difference between me and a "non-enthusiast"?

btw scoots fall under the same laws as motorcycles which means its illegal to ride them without a permit or license and valid reg and insurance. only difference is 50cc and under or if it has pedals. at least here in cali.

Old April 30th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #37
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

^^ I think its the same in NJ...

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old April 30th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #38
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Mass: http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/mcmanual/3_Definitions.pdf

NJ: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/Motorcycle.htm

Cali: http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/motors.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i'm licensed, my scoots are registered and insured. would you know the difference between me and a "non-enthusiast"?

btw scoots fall under the same laws as motorcycles which means its illegal to ride them without a permit or license and valid reg and insurance. only difference is 50cc and under or if it has pedals. at least here in cali.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
^^ I think its the same in NJ...

Old April 30th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #39
sonny4472
ninjette.org member

Passed 3 Harley/crusier bikers today, none of them waved...

Old April 30th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #40
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny4472 View Post
Passed 3 Harley/crusier bikers today, none of them waved...
typical. try living where I do and you will learn that Harley riders, around here, are stuck up bitches.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote