Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:45 PM   #41
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
that is literally a quote directly from wikipedia, so lets quote that same page:
Let me preface this with I am from CA and I do lane-split in traffic. I wonder if the 0.4% accident rate in the Hurt report is partially due to the fact that even though lane splitting is legal in CA, not all riders split lanes.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:49 PM   #42
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

http://www.ots.ca.gov/Media_and_Rese...ing_Survey.pdf

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/po...150197075.html

Why research was done in California....... Drum roll..... Because it's legal aka controlled environment.
Reason 2: more riders do it there because of reason number one and thus you have a big pool of diverse riders to give you a big picture all all types of scenarios which in hand give you very reliable research statistics.

If you do not understand statistics or the concept of research, please read up and come back with questions regarding it so you can better understand.

And if you have read any of the links I posted, you will notice a decrease in moto accidents due to awareness because of education. Motorcycle awareness month ring a bell?

http://www.trafficsafetymarketing.gov/ShareTheRoad
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Safety/Motorcycles

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 24th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #43
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
It was the driver's fault. I hate drivers who immediately change lanes the second they put on their blinker.
Me too. I also find it funny that they are called "indicators" over here; as-in, you "indicate what you're going to do". Despite the very clear term and definition people seem to use them to indicate what they are doing right now... which is kind of pointless... because you're turning right now... and I can see that... so I don't need to see your indicators on. I need to see your indicators on before you start turning.

I guess some people can't think that far ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
You must be a pro.. Tell me how the cop in OP's post could have avoided being cut off like that, other than braking, imagine him going 10mph faster than he was. Were wings going to come out of his exhaust pipe and lift him to safety?
Errr... the cop avoided the accident... he wasn't going 10mph faster... he was safely filtering... which isn't even that odd. I safely filter almost every single ride.

There are no dedicated motorcycle lanes where I live. Bicycles, trucks, cars and motorcycles are all squeezed onto very old, very thin roads, up in each others faces. Filtering still works. I don't think many drivers notice me on my bike despite my loud exhaust and obnoxious, solid-green colour scheme. It makes no difference to me though. I ride like no one sees me, adjust my speed for the road conditions, traffic density and perceivable dangers.

FYI: cagers aren't taught about safe driving around filtering motorcycles over here for their compulsory tests. Motorcyclists (even with a full license) are not taught safe filtering technique. You have to take a non-compulsory, advanced motorcycle riding courses to formally learn about it.

For me; I learnt how to filter by taking baby steps. I didn't do it at first. Then I did it a little bit (to pass cars queued behind traffic lights). I observed others doing it, thought about how to do it safely and discovered a few tips on this forum. Now I do it all the time and filtering feels completely natural and safe.

There are people over here that filter badly. These same people ride badly in general though. Whether they filtered or not, I consider their days to be numbered.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 24th, 2014, 05:16 AM   #44
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14

/chone out!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2014, 05:32 AM   #45
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
^ evil contemplative dinosaur!

Old June 24th, 2014, 08:29 AM   #46
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
philosoraptor*

Old June 24th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #47
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
You'd definitely need a public education campaign to let drivers know that, yes, motorcycles are allowed to lane-split.
Yeah, I lived in Japan for a few years, and it's pretty amazing to see. All the drivers are so accustomed to it, it's just the way things work.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2014, 08:15 AM   #48
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
hah! it happens on the other side of the pond too!

Link to original page on YouTube.

look twice!.... for cops!

Old October 21st, 2014, 09:14 AM   #49
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
That was an awesome vid! At least the driver caught himself before he fully cut off the motorcycle.

Does anyone know why lane splitting is illegal in the US (except CA)? Like....What's the reasoning behind the law? Were there studies done that showed it was too dangerous?

I wonder why most of the world allows it (which I think makes most drivers MORE aware of bikes), yet the US frowns upon it.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2014, 09:40 AM   #50
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
That was an awesome vid! At least the driver caught himself before he fully cut off the motorcycle.

Does anyone know why lane splitting is illegal in the US (except CA)? Like....What's the reasoning behind the law? Where there studies done that showed it was too dangerous?

I wonder why most of the world allows it (which I think makes most drivers MORE aware of bikes), yet the US frowns upon it.
most of the US outside of california is very open and typically only 2 lane roads everywhere. the majority of the country simply doesn't need it. only in major cities does it make any sense TBH. but because most of america has 90% low-density with big cities in a relatively confined space, it doesn't make sense to use the big-city rules that apply to only ~10% for the other 90%. so the big cities suffer in that sense to keep the rules simpler for those 90% who don't deal with that sort of density regularly. california is different though because the majority is high density 2 to 4 lane roads each way. very conducive to splitting. and because the commuting rate is so much higher in california due to the high prices and density, much more traffic is in place which further encourages lane splitting.

many other places that allow it have less of an abrupt transition between subburb and downtown

Old October 21st, 2014, 12:18 PM   #51
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
That makes perfect sense. Never thought of it that way since I've only lived in decent sized metropolitan areas all my life.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2014, 12:36 PM   #52
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

There are plenty of cities where it would make sense to allow lane splitting. A lot of them now have car pool lanes where motorcycles are allowed, which is almost as good. It would be nice if filtering in traffic at lights were also allowed.

The problem is it would take a long time for our rather oblivious and very self centered driving culture to become aware and lot of motorcyclists would be injured/killed (more than normal, I'd bet), so it may be that it's not really worth it at this point.

My first foray on a motorcycle (as a passenger, then a rider) was in Okinawa, where filtering is pretty much a way of life, and if a car driver does something stupid, they are likely to get piled on by a bunch of scooter/motorcycle riders before the cops show up. I saw it happen once while I was there. They didn't hurt they driver, but 5-6 scooter riders blocked his car, forced him to the curb, and proceeded to yell at him, presumably until the police showed up.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #53
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
I don't see the major complication with having exceptions to rules in particular areas. In London it's legal to ride your motorcycle in the bus lanes. Everywhere else in the UK (as far as I know) it's illegal. I don't find it hard to remember to stay out of the bus lanes when I leave London.

Also: regarding lane splitting. There are times when it makes sense to lane split in rural settings. Maybe you're coming up to some traffic lights. Maybe there is some traffic backed up going into a town. I can definitely appreciate how much more important it is to be able to lane split in a congested, heavily populated city, but I still think it's a useful tool even when out in the Styx. Makes sense to me to let riders use their judgement. After-all; no amount of rule-making can protect a riders from themselves.