ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 9th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #1
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250, Kawasaki 650

Headlight Retrofit Question

Hey guys, I'm new to this so sorry if I am doing something wrong with posting. I am doing a DIY retrofit for my 2011 Ninja. I ordered projectors and 6000k HIDS. My question is... I am in the process of doing this and I know some people spray paint the reflective housing black to make it look cooler since they are putting projectors in. I just wanna make sure I'm being safe, so spray painting the reflective housing is ok right? Since I am putting projectors in and the reflective housing isn't needed..or is it. Thanks in advance
2fidyswag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome to the site, Jake !!!

Please, post all you want !

Sorry, I cannot help you with your question, but somebody soon will.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #3
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

ok thanks

Old March 9th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #4
nickdeveau
ninjette.org newbie

Name: nick

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

helppp

i have a 1988 ninja 250 and a 85 ninja 600 my 250 needs new rear brake pads is there any way the rears off of the 600 would fit ??
nickdeveau is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #5
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Your safe if you are indeed installing projectors(heavy solid glass half domes) and not just HID bulbs. Honestly most of us that have gone the route of projectors couldn't use the reflector housing a d had to ditch it and use a whole new mounting plate. How this help don't hesitate to ask a question. And good luck with the project because when don't right its a ****ing nightmare if your a perfectionist like myself.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #6
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

Thanks Jason. yes I got projectors along with the hids. As we speak I am trying to seperate the headlight from the reflector. It's a bitch but Im getting there..hope this turns out well. I purchased Matte black spray paint ( high heat tolerance..meant for BBQ's) so I think that should work.

Old March 9th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #7
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
What brand of projector did you get? I know they vary in size quite a bit.

If you haven't already read this http://www.audiotether.com/250RHID/250RHIDretrofit.htm I used most of tri's ideas and few of my own to get the results I wanted.

Old March 9th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #8
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

I went through bkmoto. The guy sells kits for lots of bikes, and they have a step by step with picture instruction set so you can do it yourself. I am not sure the projector size

Old March 9th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #9
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

The link you gave me has a great idea with creating your own mounting plate. But it seems like a lot of work, is there really any advantage to that? I was just gonna use the one I have now from stock and paint it, because I know the projectors I have will fit in there.

Old March 9th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #10
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Bks stuff is much small I believe I have my doubts of the output compared to what I have but I can almost garentee their stuff is much easier to install and quite bright as well.

Old March 9th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #11
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

Now you kind of have me worried. I am trying to be safe and be very noticeable, you say yours might be brighter which may be true, but would you agree that even though bk's may be smaller, they are going to be brighter than your typical stock halogen lights that come on the ninja? All I am aiming for is to be better than stock, I just want an improvement.

Old March 9th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #12
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

Also, I just measured the projector itself, and it looks to be 2.5 inches across, including the angel eye rim.

Old March 9th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #13
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
The bk guy swears his stuff is good but I've never seen it in person but I recall there being a thread by him about his stuff and there was supposed to be some lighting shots but after a week or so I gave up wait for the picks so I don't know him he ever got them posted.

My dad tried to go the plug and play $250-300 route with his F-250 after seeing the results of my bike(yes their that impressive ) but when we plugged the kit in it was so laughably weak that I swore he plugged it in wrong. After confirming the kit was crap and the zero customer support we sent the stuff back and he ordered what I had. My dad originally ask me if he ordered what I got would I help him install it, I said NO so fast his head spun in the end after lots of F-bombs and many late nights he light look and function great. I happened to be around when a coworker asked if he'd help her do the same thing he did to her car and without hesitation a resounding NO was his answer

Sounds like your already comitted to what you have but if your having any doubts then plug the stuff in before I stalling it and check their output. It should be fairly obvious if thier brighter then stock.

I'm not trying to knock the BK stuff at all Im just saying what I have is great and I've never seen the BK stuff in person.

Old March 9th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #14
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
The bk guy swears his stuff is good but I've never seen it in person but I recall there being a thread by him about his stuff and there was supposed to be some lighting shots but after a week or so I gave up wait for the picks so I don't know him he ever got them posted.
These? Unless you're referring to some other ones.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ght=projectors

xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #15
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

Ok, I will keep posted on how it turns out. hopefully I will have this done by tomorrow. I think it should be somewhat of an improvement from stock because when driving at night only one bulb is on because I dont drive at night with brights, and this kit will let me have both running on at low beam. I will try and do pictures to show how it turns out.

Old March 9th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #16
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

Yes I do believe those are bk moto lights. That is what is posted on their website under installation for the lights I got. Those look like they have turned out very well.

Old March 9th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #17
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

Even if Jason's are brighter than those, i think we can all agree those seem to have a really nice output, at least compared to stock.

Old March 9th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #18
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Yeah see his pics prove his stuff is bright I never doubted their stuff for a moment

Here's one pic of how mine turned out

Old March 9th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #19
xSean13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fidyswag View Post
Even if Jason's are brighter than those, i think we can all agree those seem to have a really nice output, at least compared to stock.
Yep. As much interstate riding as I do/have done on my 250, I think this upgrade would have been well worth it early on. The low beam hardly reaches the edges of the road, but I don't want to blind people with my high beams so...yeah, precarious situation. Not to mention the interstate I ride is edged with woods, so deer would be a problem.

Old March 9th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #20
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

I just live in a city, my main reason for the hid projector upgrade was to be more safe and make it look cool. Where I am, drivers are bad, there was a kid just killed the other week. People just don't look. I am trying to light my bike up like a ****ing christmas tree so people can see me easily. I have put blue leds all over it as well, If I have to pay a ticket, so be it. At least I'll live to pay it.

Old March 9th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #21
xSean13

Get as much reflective stuff as possible too. Wheel strips are a good start if you haven't already, I've also thought about getting some reflective tape from cyclegear to put on my helmet and anywhere else.

Old March 9th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #22
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

Already got stuff on my wheels. If you don't care about the risk of getting pulled over, check out ebay. They have little blue led clips you can purchase for a few bucks. They take watch batteries and you can put them anywhere on your bike. From behind I look like a cop ( at least here in arizona) because I have a blue led near my brake light and when people see blue and red it catches there eye. And if you want some good reflective stuff, check out white high viz grade reflective tape. I got some and holy **** it reflective, At night time with a light on it is super bright so i put some of that on my backpack. Also my helmet and bike is white. I try to avoid black gear because it's harder to see plus here in az, it gets deathly hot in black.

Old March 9th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #23
xSean13

Yeah this reflective tape I'm referring to is high vis. I already have blue LEDs for my plate lights, and they're legal here. I know some states require a white or amber colored plate light but not here :P

Old March 9th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #24
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

Nice man, that looks dope. do you have any other advice for lighting? I saw on ebay they have little mini xenon lights you can wire and have them on the front part of your bike to add additional light to oncoming traffic. Not sure if I should do it yet or if it'll even make a difference.

Old March 9th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #25
xSean13

I have no idea, I'm not an electrical (or mechanical) guru. Maybe some of those LED strips to give your bike the audi-style headlight look. Or just literally wrap your bike in Christmas tree lights :P

Old March 9th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #26
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

ok well thanks, ride safe

Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:21 PM   #27
drknes
ninjette.org member

Name: Adrian

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninjette (Black(and some blue))

I used Vinyl

I had some carbon fibre look Vinyl lying around at home, and used that to cover the reflector.
So far, after 3 months of heavy use, the Vinyl is still working, and hasn't bubbled or anything.
I figured it would be easier to remove than paint if I ever needed to return the headlight to stock
drknes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:23 PM   #28
drknes
ninjette.org member

Name: Adrian

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninjette (Black(and some blue))

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fidyswag View Post
Now you kind of have me worried. I am trying to be safe and be very noticeable, you say yours might be brighter which may be true, but would you agree that even though bk's may be smaller, they are going to be brighter than your typical stock halogen lights that come on the ninja? All I am aiming for is to be better than stock, I just want an improvement.
With the BK Moto kit installed on my bike, my cousing and I went for a ride in the twisties at night. I was following him, and my low beam was outshining his hi beam, there are no issues with the brightness
drknes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #29
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

UPDATE: After installing the kit a few weeks ago everything was perfect. Until today while washing my bike I look at the headlight and notice the two Angel eye rings have literally popped off the headlight projectors and are sitting in my headlight. I don't know why this would have happened, I don't ride my bike rough and I slow down at speed bumps. Nothing out of the ordinary...

So I'm pretty pissed because I would have to take my bike all apart again and RE-SEPERATE the headlight from lens all over again in order to get the rings out. Any ideas why this would have happened?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0399.jpg (41.3 KB, 4 views)

Old April 4th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #30
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

They are molting.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #31
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Use epoxy this time.

I'm not sold on BKmoto projectors. I've never used them, so I don't mean to slam them, but they seem awfully involved. Simpler is better when it comes to taking your headlight apart for a retrofit.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #32
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

I didn't use anything to hold them on. When I purchased the projectors the rings were already connected to the projectors itself. ****. I really don't want to re-do this whole separating lens from headlight **** again.

Old April 4th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #33
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Haha welcome to the world of retro-retro-retrofitting

Old April 4th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #34
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
If it's any consolation, I need to take mine apart and use some butyl tape on the lens so it seals and doesn't steam up. I also plan on making a foreground limiter while I'm in there.

I feel like I'm never done with my bike between the fuel tuning, and the random parts I have on there
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #35
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

Ug alright. Well it won't be bad if I leave it be for now right?I'm gonna be busy for a week or two before I can do this so they're just gonna sit in there. I kind rocked my bike back and forth and they didn't seem to budge too easily. Just looks dumb..

Old April 4th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #36
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Play it off like a BOSS and before you know it all the cool kids will be doing it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 4th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #37
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Just like the tire cord threads.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote