ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old September 27th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[visordown.com] - Emmett remains trapped in Dubai

AN e-petition has been created to try and return former 500cc Grand Prix and British Superbike rider Sean Emmett back home to the UK from Dubai after the authorities took his passport following the death of his wife in February this year.

No charges have been made against Emmett regarding the tragic loss of his wife after she fell from a hotel balcony whilst they were on their honeymoon.

The Dubai Police said they did not believe there were any suspicious circumstances. However, the Surrey man was arrested after police said he smelt of alcohol. Emmett was charged for consuming alcohol without a licence and had his passport taken off him, meaning he is still not allowed to leave the country which has now resulted in him using up his life savings.

Emmett explained to the BBC that the British consulate was helping as much as they could. “Because whilst the authorities over here just come back with ‘we’re still continuing our investigation’, any other country can’t really interfere with that process.

“I said to them ‘tell me what you’re investigating, I’m under no charge, under no bail, you’re just holding my passport and keep saying ‘we still have an investigation to do’.

“I’ve got three children that I want to see and they want to see their Dad. It’s hugely frustrating.”

The 43-year-old added: “For me, having done nothing wrong and then having to go through the stress that I’ve gone through and then having to sit here in Dubai knowing that my wife’s funeral was going on with me… it’s so unfair.”

The Foreign Office have released a statement regarding the situation: “We are providing consular assistance at the difficult time to the individual concerned and family.

“We cannot interfere in the judicial process of another country, and must respect their systems just as we expect them to respect the UK’s laws and legal processes.”

There are now over 8,000 signatures on the e-petition which will hopefully help to bring Emmett back to the UK. The e-petition can be found here. You can also follow Sean Emmett’s updates via his personal Twitter account: @seany555

Related Content

Racer death sparks energy drink warning
Jamie Whitham Column - Feb 2007
Rainy BSB tests are nothing new
Deep Purple set to rock Dubai Bike Week
Swiss racer killed in two-bike pile-up in Dubai

Click here for full story...