ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 22nd, 2011, 07:39 PM   #1
AeroXtasy
New 2-Wheel Addict

Name: Reece

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2009 250r Kawasaki Ninja

Cool Newbie ?'s

Alright, just got my bike today. I have to admit, it's the first time I've really ever even drove a bike besides a bicycle.

Took me a bit to get to where I wasn't crazily giving throttle and just letting go of the clutch to get going, but I finally got it down. Although I do have some questions that I hope can be answered. I've actually tried searching but have found no clear answers:
  1. Can you start out going from N to 1st and taking off without using the clutch and by shifting + letting off the gas alone? I think I heard that on YouTube sometime but I didn't try it today.
  2. As for RPM's, about when should I be shifting? I'm fine with learning somewhat of a chart like "1st gear = *** Rpms" and then learning how it sounds and going from there. I want to know what is optimal for speed as far as shifting. Yes, I'm new, but it'd be good IMO to go on and have it as a habbit for when I get better.
  3. Wheelies. I'm not trying this for a LONG time, but how exactly do people acheive them on 250's? Haha.
  4. How often should I change the oil? Any specific high-grade oil you would recommend?
  5. If I have some scratches in my paint, is there an easy way to get them out. I was thinking of lightly trying to buff them out or by touching them up with some touch-up paint.
  6. Must I run high-grade gas in my 250r? I did today and will continue to, I'm really just curious if I must. This is a question that probably shows my ignorance to bikes. But it's better to ask and know!
  7. No wax or tire cleaner will in any way hurt my bike will it? Obviously I know not to leave the wax on.. Lol.

Thanks for any help! If you could answer in the format I used, that'd be great!

Obviously, I'm new. I'm 16 and a 4.7 GPA student, but not with a Kawasaki Ninja. I'll ask a lot, search a lot, and try to learn as much as I can. That's just how I am.
AeroXtasy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Reece -

Split them into separate threads within individual questions/discussions, and you'll get more useful feedback. This isn't a tech thread if it has 7 unrelated questions whose only similarity is that one person is asking 'em.

Oh - before even that, don't use *any* tire cleaner on a motorcycle. Ever.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2011, 07:58 PM   #3
AeroXtasy
New 2-Wheel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Reece -

Split them into separate threads within individual questions/discussions, and you'll get more useful feedback. This isn't a tech thread if it has 7 unrelated questions whose only similarity is that one person is asking 'em.

Oh - before even that, don't use *any* tire cleaner on a motorcycle. Ever.
Sorry about that! I just didn't want to seem spammy. Lol. Asking that many questions that are simply answered. Felt it was best to ask all of my beginner questions in one place.

I don't have time to make the threads, I will tomorrow. Could you answer in short why to not use tire cleaner? Slicken the tires? I'm guessing I can clean the rims and wax the bike, but it'd be best to just soap/water the tires to clean them up. I had some to black them out like cars..

*Feel stupid

Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Soap and water is on the rims is OK, but it's not a good idea to apply much of anything to the tires. Never put on any tire conditioner or cleaner (armor-all, tire shine, etc.). New riders do that exactly once, and realize why they shouldn't have after their bike goes sliding down the road at the first significant bend in the road.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:03 PM   #5
AeroXtasy
New 2-Wheel Addict

Quote:
Soap and water is on the rims is OK, but it's not a good idea to apply much of anything to the tires. Never put on any tire conditioner or cleaner (armor-all, tire shine, etc.). New riders do that exactly once, and realize why they shouldn't have after their bike goes sliding down the road at the first significant bend in the road.
Yes, tire shine is what I was going to use..

So, could I use some rim cleaner I have if I make sure it doesn't get on the tires?

Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:09 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Yup.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:16 PM   #7
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I'm just gonna make a quick brief response to help you search for better answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroXtasy View Post
Can you start out going from N to 1st and taking off without using the clutch and by shifting + letting off the gas alone? I think I heard that on YouTube sometime but I didn't try it today.
It's called clutchless shifting. You'll get more info if you search with those terms.

Quote:
As for RPM's, about when should I be shifting? I'm fine with learning somewhat of a chart like "1st gear = *** Rpms" and then learning how it sounds and going from there. I want to know what is optimal for speed as far as shifting. Yes, I'm new, but it'd be good IMO to go on and have it as a habbit for when I get better.
Shift whenever you feel like it. Powerband on ninjette is around 8-10k rpms. Adjust your shifting accordingly.
Quote:
Wheelies. I'm not trying this for a LONG time, but how exactly do people acheive them on 250's? Haha.
It's difficult because it doesnt have a whole lot of power but it can be done by shifting the bike's weight and 1st gear's throttle control. Other people can answer this better.

Quote:
How often should I change the oil? Any specific high-grade oil you would recommend?
New bike changed around 3-4 times before it hit's 1000miles. After that it's up to you. People change oil anywhere between 2k-5k. I usually change around 3k miles or before a long trip (over 800miles).

Quote:
If I have some scratches in my paint, is there an easy way to get them out. I was thinking of lightly trying to buff them out or by touching them up with some touch-up paint.
Fairings are plastic. It wont be easy to get scratches out. Be creative. When bikes get scratches, it's usually because of a crash so you'll probably have more to worry about than just a few scratches. Get a tank protector for those pesky zippers.

Quote:
Must I run high-grade gas in my 250r? I did today and will continue to, I'm really just curious if I must. This is a question that probably shows my ignorance to bikes. But it's better to ask and know!
High grade gas? you mean anything higher than 87? Read your manual. Our bikes dont need anything over 87 unless you've messed with the ignition timing.

Quote:
No wax or tire cleaner will in any way hurt my bike will it? Obviously I know not to leave the wax on.. Lol.
Wax on bike ok. Wax on tires NOT OK.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:20 PM   #8
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

majority of your questions are answered in the forum. my answers/ opinions in red

Quote:
Alright, just got my bike today. I have to admit, it's the first time I've really ever even drove a bike besides a bicycle.

Took me a bit to get to where I wasn't crazily giving throttle and just letting go of the clutch to get going, but I finally got it down. Although I do have some questions that I hope can be answered. I've actually tried searching but have found no clear answers:
  1. Can you start out going from N to 1st and taking off without using the clutch and by shifting + letting off the gas alone? I think I heard that on YouTube sometime but I didn't try it today.
    clutchless shifting?...can be done...but i dont recommend it to beginners
  2. As for RPM's, about when should I be shifting? I'm fine with learning somewhat of a chart like "1st gear = *** Rpms" and then learning how it sounds and going from there. I want to know what is optimal for speed as far as shifting. Yes, I'm new, but it'd be good IMO to go on and have it as a habbit for when I get better.for me, just cruzing, i usually shift around 4-6k
  3. Wheelies. I'm not trying this for a LONG time, but how exactly do people acheive them on 250's? Haha.again, you are a new rider. DONT even think about it...yet...concentrate on learning basic and good riding techniques 1st....u go through MSF yet? if not, i highly recommend it.
  4. How often should I change the oil? Any specific high-grade oil you would recommend?can be found in owners manual..as for oil, rotella t-6 is what a lot of people use
  5. If I have some scratches in my paint, is there an easy way to get them out. I was thinking of lightly trying to buff them out or by touching them up with some touch-up paint.not sure. depends on how deep the scratches are
  6. Must I run high-grade gas in my 250r? I did today and will continue to, I'm really just curious if I must. This is a question that probably shows my ignorance to bikes. But it's better to ask and know!you dont need super or supreme. regular 87 is what is called for and thats that. you can find that in the manual and on a sticker on the bike as well
  7. No wax or tire cleaner will in any way hurt my bike will it? Obviously I know not to leave the wax on.. Lol.the posts above covered it already

Obviously, I'm new. I'm 16 and a 4.7 GPA student, but not with a Kawasaki Ninja. I'll ask a lot, search a lot, and try to learn as much as I can. That's just how I am.

ATGATT and ride safe.
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:23 PM   #9
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

this is the only thing youll need to clean your bike.. rims, body, anything.. stuff is awesome! cycle gear carries it for sure.. http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/...Cleaner-Polish
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:13 AM   #10
squaregamer476
learning stages

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): black 09 kawasaki ninja 250

what does ATGATT mean?
squaregamer476 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:17 AM   #11
Toper
ninjette.org member

Name: Toper

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaregamer476 View Post
what does ATGATT mean?
All The Gear, All The Time
Toper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2011, 03:53 AM   #12
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Actually, a lot of these questions are related to each other. For example, from a standstill in neutral, attempting a clutchless shift at a high enough rpm to get you going without stalling out will answer your question about how to wheelie. Also, since your bike has a rev limiter, if you just wring it full throttle to 14k with the shifter preloaded, it will shift automatically againt without the clutch or throttle blips. It has an spark kill in the ignition, exactly the same way racebikes have quickshiters, so it works great (except downshifts where it WILL destroy an engine in less than one revolution)...but please, please, please don't do anything I've mentioned here. Learn to ride, learn to use your clutch, and then in a few months we'll tell you about life-threatening techniques like pneumatic shifters, wheelies, and waxing tires.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:03 AM   #13
stealth250
Gearhead

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
  1. Can you start out going from N to 1st and taking off without using the clutch and by shifting + letting off the gas alone? I think I heard that on YouTube sometime but I didn't try it today. Learn how to use the clutch properly.
  2. As for RPM's, about when should I be shifting? I'm fine with learning somewhat of a chart like "1st gear = *** Rpms" and then learning how it sounds and going from there. I want to know what is optimal for speed as far as shifting. Yes, I'm new, but it'd be good IMO to go on and have it as a habbit for when I get better. I shift anywhere from 5k to 10k depending on circumstances.
  3. Wheelies. I'm not trying this for a LONG time, but how exactly do people acheive them on 250's? Haha. How often do you want to replace fairings and fork seals?
  4. How often should I change the oil? Any specific high-grade oil you would recommend? I did mine 3 times in the first 1500 miles, then every 1500 miles from then on. Slightly overkill, but I have 8900 miles on it now and no issues. Don't skimp on oil changes. I use 20w50 Mobil 1 motorcycle oil and Wix filters.
  5. If I have some scratches in my paint, is there an easy way to get them out. I was thinking of lightly trying to buff them out or by touching them up with some touch-up paint. It really depends on how bad they are. Some may be able to be rubbed out with compound, some may have to be wet sanded/buffed, and some may require repainting.
  6. Must I run high-grade gas in my 250r? I did today and will continue to, I'm really just curious if I must. This is a question that probably shows my ignorance to bikes. But it's better to ask and know! I run premium in mine which most will say is a waste. But the premium fuel usually has better cleaning agents. I have never had any issues getting mine going in the spring either.
  7. No wax or tire cleaner will in any way hurt my bike will it? Obviously I know not to leave the wax on.. Lol. Use polish and wax only on painted surfaces such as fairings, wheels, fender, tank. Stay away from any of the flat black plastic parts with anything except soap/water or quick detailer. Nothing on tires except soap/water.
Don't spend your money on mods until you buy the proper gear. Helmet, jacket, gloves, boots at a minimum. ATGATT!

Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:24 AM   #14
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Just an FYI, premium gas being cleaner is just a marketing ploy. EPA already requires that all levels of gas have cleaning agents in them and anythig extra they put in premium won't have any significant effect and may actually hurt mpg.

Also, premium gas won't make it easier to start in the spring. Ethanol is what causes all the trouble in our carbs and premium gas definitely has it. A good storage process is the your best bet.

While premium gas won't hurt any, it's completely unneccessary unless your engine is knocking/pinging for some reason. Regular gas does have the advantage for cold starts since the ignition point will be lower.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...tos/aut12.shtm

The government recommending spending less money
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:38 AM   #15
stealth250
Gearhead

Not trying to start a debate here, but I've always run Shell premium in my bike and have never had any of the carb gumming issues that several others have talked about. Also, I usually get around 60 mpg and I don't baby it. My plugs were nice and clean when I changed them last year, and it runs good all the time. Maybe it is a waste (like I said in my original post that most would say that), but I'm happy with the results I have gotten from it and have no intention of switching. I guess I like spending the extra $.80 per tank. Not a big deal when you're talking 4 gallons to fill up. Now my Suburban with the 42 gallon tank? That's a different story!

Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:43 AM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Reference thread here on Octane / premium fuel:

Octane, Money and You??? What do you run in your 250 and why?

Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:45 AM   #17
Cuongism

It definitely doesn't hurt the wallet too much since it's a small tank, but you're crediting premium gas for something that it may not necessarily deserve. If you look at the mpg poll, that's also what most people average. My bike sat from May 4th to last week without any storage prep, so I thought my jets would be gummed and they actually were clean.

Just google about it and you'll find tons of info. I'll also stop here.

/end hijack

Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:00 AM   #18
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Doesn't running high grade gas lower horsepower on our bikes? lol
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:00 AM   #19
stealth250
Gearhead

Like I said, not trying to start a debate...
My reference to mpg was merely stating that I'm not getting worse mileage than those who use 87. Run what you want, I was not suggesting that it has to have 92. I was only saying that it is what I use. Quite frankly, this thread should be about educating a new 16 year old rider on the proper gear and technique. Not on how to debate about what kind of fuel one person prefers over another. Lets get back on topic here....

Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:02 AM   #20
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

I like to run my tires at 3psi over recommended pressue, and I've also never had any problems with my carbs gumming up, and I the spark plugs look good as new. I can't prove it's related, but I have no intention of changing it. Of course, this isn't costing me hundreds of dollars a year like running premium gas would. I'm not trying to change your mind or anything--run whatever you like. I'm mearly pointing that starting a post with "I'm not trying to start a debate, but here's a list of debateable reasons I think it's good to ignore the manufacturer's recommendations" isn't the best way to avoid a debate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:22 AM   #21
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:

2. As for RPM's, about when should I be shifting? I'm fine with learning somewhat of a chart like "1st gear = *** Rpms" and then learning how it sounds and going from there. I want to know what is optimal for speed as far as shifting. Yes, I'm new, but it'd be good IMO to go on and have it as a habbit for when I get better.
  3. Wheelies. I'm not trying this for a LONG time, but how exactly do people acheive them on 250's? Haha.
  4. How often should I change the oil? Any specific high-grade oil you would recommend?
  5. If I have some scratches in my paint, is there an easy way to get them out. I was thinking of lightly trying to buff them out or by touching them up with some touch-up paint.
  6. Must I run high-grade gas in my 250r? I did today and will continue to, I'm really just curious if I must. This is a question that probably shows my ignorance to bikes. But it's better to ask and know!
  7. No wax or tire cleaner will in any way hurt my bike will it? Obviously I know not to leave the wax on.. Lol.

Dearest Reece cup, with a 4.7 GPA you must be book smart. I suggest you read the book (manual) along with each and every other book you can about riding. There is a lot of information that will help you with your questions. Frankly, with a 4.7 GPA, I'm surprised you didn't read up on all these questions before you got your bike.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:32 AM   #22
stealth250
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
I like to run my tires at 3psi over recommended pressue, and I've also never had any problems with my carbs gumming up, and I the spark plugs look good as new. I can't prove it's related, but I have no intention of changing it. Of course, this isn't costing me hundreds of dollars a year like running premium gas would. I'm not trying to change your mind or anything--run whatever you like. I'm mearly pointing that starting a post with "I'm not trying to start a debate, but here's a list of debateable reasons I think it's good to ignore the manufacturer's recommendations" isn't the best way to avoid a debate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hundreds of dollars a year? I hardly think so. When did I say to ignore manufacturer's recommendations? I was just trying to help out a new rider with his questions by telling him what I have had success with. Now it's become an argument about what kind of fuel you should run? Like I said, RUN WHAT YOU WANT! If you want to run more air pressure and ignore the manufacturer's recommendations, then by all means, go ahead! And thank you for your smart-assed input, it's much appreciated and really contributes to this thread...

Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:42 AM   #23
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
in first, ride forward at 2.5krpm, pull the clutch in and hit the throttle up to 10krpm, drop clutch and hold on.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:58 AM   #24
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
in first, ride forward at 2.5krpm, pull the clutch in and hit the throttle up to 10krpm, drop clutch and hold on.
Was that the answer to how to touch-up the paint, or which grade of gas to use?

Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:04 PM   #25
Cuongism

Slightly off topic, but I thought 4.0 was the highest gpa? Maybe I haven't been in school in awhile...

Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:15 PM   #26
Gorilla25
Dakine...

AP classes allow your GPA to go over 4.0

Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:17 PM   #27
Cuongism

Really? Times have changed then, it didn't work like that when I was in high school. Good to know

Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:22 PM   #28
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Was that the answer to how to touch-up the paint, or which grade of gas to use?
how often to change the oil

("when the oil starts coming out of your forks")

Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:35 PM   #29
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
how often to change the oil

("when the oil starts coming out of your forks")

Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM   #30
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

I'm surprised no one's asked if he's taken his MSF course. Some of his questions could be answered during that class easily.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:04 PM   #31
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
I'm surprised no one's asked if he's taken his MSF course. Some of his questions could be answered during that class easily.
Maybe we didn't ask, because were able to conclude, from his questions, that he hadn't taken it?

Old August 24th, 2011, 02:14 AM   #32
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
i did ...i asked in my 1st reply ..and recommended he do it if he has not

Old August 24th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #33
AeroXtasy
New 2-Wheel Addict

On my phone now. Thanks everyone that has posted!
I just have a lot of work and barely have time besides the weekends to get on.

Anyway, waxed the bike last night and it looks great, pictures coming soon.

Will fully reply soon, hopefully today if I get time.
No, I have not taken a safety course and I'm new to bikes.

Drive yesterday though and I believe I'm getting that clutch down! Also worked on leaning around turns. Just messed me up that you don't turn the handlebars when you turn. Lol.

Old August 24th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #34
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Do yourself and everyone around you a favor and go take an MSF class asap.

Old August 24th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #35
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Drive yesterday though and I believe I'm getting that clutch down! Also worked on leaning around turns. Just messed me up that you don't turn the handlebars when you turn. Lol.
Definitely take the course because, yes, you do turn the handle bars when you turn. You turn them the opposite direction but you're probably just doing it instinctively.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #36
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

+a million. Go take that MSF course. Honestly, I'd recommend that you don't ride until you take it.
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote