ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old March 18th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Basic clip-on questions

First and most important, here's what I want to accomplish:

I don't ride on the track and comfort is important to me. When I tuck (which I do pretty much as a matter of course any time I exceed 60 mph), with the stock bars my hands feel like they're up around my ears. So I'm looking for a hand/arm position that is a little better from that standpoint.

Did I mention that comfort is important to me? I'm all about the ergos. Appearances are not particularly important. Actually, appearances don't matter one tiny bit. If it's no comfortable, I'm not interested.

I'm well aware that there's going to be some kind of tradeoff here, because there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

The stock bars are okay for me except when in the full tuck. I can stiff-arm them or relax my arms as I please, which is important to prevent cramping/soreness/etc. I'm never forced to do anything. This concerns me re clip-ons. It seems as if I might have to have my arms straight when I'm not actually tucking, which is not good for long-term comfort.

So: I've got this idea in my head that I want bars that are not quite as high and flat as stock, but not at-the-limit sportbike-racy, because the latter would be uncomfortable over time, forcing me to put too much weight on my hands.

Am I nuts?

If I'm not nuts, then which clip-ons are "milder?"

I know of two clip-ons, Woodcraft and Kitaco. Woodcraft mount below the triple, Kitaco mount above. Seems to me Kitaco would be closer to stock. Or would the different configuration of the Woodcrafts make them pretty much the same?

I assume that installation is pretty much a wash either way.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I guess it depends on your arm length . I used universal 37mm woodcraft clip-ons . I bolted them to the top of the tree. I had to lower the front 13mm so I had the fork all the way inside the clamp of the bars.I used this setup to commute for over a year.

I feel they are more comfortable than stock . But I have long arms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clip ons.jpg (106.7 KB, 31 views)
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I'm short (5'7") and normally proportioned. So my arms are relatively short.

Put it this way... I'm not at all cramped on the bike.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #4
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
the clip on above the tree puts the bars down just a little and forward some. I am 5'11 and it is my legs that have the problem not my arms.

To me the bike feels bigger without feeling bulky.I am thinking about getting a new ninja .(Since my 08 is a race bike now). The clip ons are the first thing I will do . I rode a customers stock 09 ninja and did not like the stock bars.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #5
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducducgooseit View Post
having a secret location indicates a need for restraint. unless you are riding "tucked" 51% or more of the time, leave the handlebars alone.
I disagree. I have clipons, mounted just under my triple, and my bike is quite comfortable. I am 5'7" also.