ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 28th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Darkshadow4ya
Dusty

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 green ninja 250

hey guys...i have a 2008 ninja 250... help with questions

it has a -3t rear sprocket and +1t front sprocket on there. it has a gsxr exhaust. this is how it came when i bought it. anyway ...i put in 2 gallons the other day and i just put 2.5 gallons in today.. its not leaking or anything. when im riding..the gauge drops down like i used alot of gas already. why is it burning so much gas so quickly?? me and my wife have been practicing around our neighborhood at most. a lot of start and stopping. also with sprocket change does that affect your actual speed limit?? the tires are still stock just the sprocket change i mentioned has been done. any advise will be greatly appreciated!!
Darkshadow4ya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #2
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

You'll want to get your actual miles per gallon (or liters), for this discussion.

55 to 65 would probably be average, with out flogging the engine too hard. Anything more than that, would be doing really well.

Sprocket changes will effect mileage some, but have less effect on top speed, which is a result of the horsepower the engine produces.
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Darkshadow4ya
Dusty

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 green ninja 250

hey can you give me some advise??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT View Post
You'll want to get your actual miles per gallon (or liters), for this discussion.

55 to 65 would probably be average, with out flogging the engine too hard. Anything more than that, would be doing really well.

Sprocket changes will effect mileage some, but have less effect on top speed, which is a result of the horsepower the engine produces.
ty i wrote down my mileage on a full tank..gonna try and gauge it.
Darkshadow4ya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #4
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

The gauge is also notorious for being useless. My ninjette never shows full even when filling the whole tank upright to the brim. 3/4's is the highest it'll go. That sprocket change actually should help your mpg a little.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #5
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

To get the ACTUAL MPG for what it would be for an average ride, pick up one of those cheap 1lt fuel bottles: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...-Aluminum.html

fill up both the bottle and your gas tank. reset your oddometer. drive around as you would. streets, roads, highways, etc till you run out of gas. check your oddo. fill up using your fuel bottle and make it to the nearest gas station.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

That method would in fact let you know how much usable fuel is in a full tank, but it isn't necessary to go to that extent just to find out actual mpg. Just fill tank to standard level, reset odometer, and the next time you fill up your tank fill it to the same exact level; divide number of miles on trip odometer by amount of fuel to fill it back up, and voila.

More info in this thread about the mileage people are getting on their own machines.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2010, 03:16 AM   #7
Robbo81
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 250r

When I first got my bike license I was chewing through the fuel. I'd say it was because of the way I was riding, stop start, high revs, etc. A sprocket change shouldn't change your speedo because the speed sensor picks up off the front wheel.
Robbo81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #8
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

My first two tanks were about 54mpg because I was going very easy on it. A few tanks later and I was consistently down to 45mpg every time.

And yes, my gearing will not effect the speedo / odo.