ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 17th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Name: Solon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

Best 3 season glove for street

As the title states I'm looking for some input as to which pair of gloves I should invest in next. I have Alpinestars Sp-1s from late 2012, and although I find them comfortable after break-in stitching is starting to come apart at the seams and I don't feel safe riding with them anyore. I paid $160 for them and I expected more especially since this glove was made for the track.

I ride during spring, summer, fall and into early winter so I'm looking for the best 3 season glove out there as once it gets too cold to ride it snows here anyway. I'm mostly a commuter where I travel frequently on freeways but go on spirited rides with friends a couple times a month

So my question to all the gear gurus is, which is the best all-around 3 season glove that's functionally sound, built with outstanding quality, and offers great protection? I'm willing to spend anywhere from $100-$300 (USD). If you really have a strong opinion on a more expensive recommendation however, I am open to all suggestions.
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I'm a big fan of the Dainese Full Metal Pros.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Helimot Buffalo Pro.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #4
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

my sp-2's stitching came apart after 3 months....and they were sitting my closet unused. returned that crap and vowed to never buy aps again. the rev'it stellar and jerez caught my eye, but im not currently in the market for a new glove.
ADoMinGu3z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
If you're interested in a touring-type glove (not a lot of kinky S&M evil-looking plastic and metal bits), I have used and liked the Lee Parks gauntlets. Very simple, made of deerskin. Very few seams... I think the whole glove is something like four pieces of leather, on the premise that the stitching is the weak point.

Mine did wear out, but it wasn't the seam. A hole appeared in the leather itself, in a non-critical area (side of the middle finger). I suspect this was due to sweat over time.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Held phantoms, the built in kangaroo and stingray provide protection against both hot and cold climates
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
They make you swim faster and jump higher, too.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Helimot Buffalo Pro.
Interesting glove, I've never heard of this company either. What are some reasons as to why you would recommend this glove for my application? What is your experience with these?

Old June 17th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #9
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Held phantoms, the built in kangaroo and stingray provide protection against both hot and cold climates
I'm highly considering these because they make me jump higher and swim faster, but all the reviews say they vent really well. Wouldn't that mean they're not suitable for lower temps?

Old June 17th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slono View Post
Interesting glove, I've never heard of this company either. What are some reasons as to why you would recommend this glove for my application? What is your experience with these?
Helmut makes them just a few miles from here. Truly hand-made, with great materials. Comfortable all-weather touring gloves, with top notch quality and protection. I just bought another new pair for my upcoming USA fun tour next week.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slono View Post
I'm highly considering these because they make me jump higher and swim faster, but all the reviews say they vent really well. Wouldn't that mean they're not suitable for lower temps?
Well, I wear them when it's raining at night which is like 40 degrees + cold + highway winds. I have heated grips on my bike, the kangaroo is on the palms so it's very thin and absorbs heat very well. If you get heated grips as well they they make great all climate gloves. In summer I'm very happy to have these gloves
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #12
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Held Air and Dry? Perked my interest a while back...dual compartment gloves are a bit of a rarity.

Currently alternating between Pro Carbons/Carbon Cover STs, oddly the Carbon Cover redesign seems more substantial than the Pro Carbons (minus the SS knuckles) imo
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #13
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Well, I wear them when it's raining at night which is like 40 degrees + cold + highway winds. I have heated grips on my bike, the kangaroo is on the palms so it's very thin and absorbs heat very well. If you get heated grips as well they they make great all climate gloves. In summer I'm very happy to have these gloves
What if one didn't have heated grips? Would the Held Phantoms still perform alright in the cold? How many miles or kilometres have you put through them so far?

Old June 18th, 2013, 06:04 AM   #14
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakkotai View Post
Held Air and Dry? Perked my interest a while back...dual compartment gloves are a bit of a rarity.

Currently alternating between Pro Carbons/Carbon Cover STs, oddly the Carbon Cover redesign seems more substantial than the Pro Carbons (minus the SS knuckles) imo
I looked up the Held Air and Dry gloves and they got raving reviews. With that being said a couple people raised the issue of the thumb not having ANY protection. I studied the pictures and couldn't find a difference between the thumb protection on those versus the Dainese Carbon Cover STs or the Pro Carbons. If anybody actually has a pair of these gloves it would be interesting to report on the thumb protection. From my understanding most of the damage usually occurs on the backside or palm of the hand so perhaps thumb protection doesn't really matter. Who knows? I hope somebody can answer this!

Old June 18th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #15
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 650r

My held phantoms are great, but I don't enjoy them below about 55 degrees when I'm on the freeway. As jiggles said, heated grips will cure this due to the thin palms. They vent great in the heat and they're super comfortable. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test if they make me swim faster, but they definitely make me jump higher!
Reyno2ac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #16
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

I like my Cortech Latigo gloves. Quite a bit cheaper than what else has been mentioned, but they are doing great for me. I've ridden between 50's and 90's so far and they don't vent as much as I'd like, which is good for cooler days especially.

What about Teknic Violator? I dig the white... And they are on Closeout since Teknic closed up shop...
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...iolator-gloves

Old June 19th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #17
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
I like my Cortech Latigo gloves. Quite a bit cheaper than what else has been mentioned, but they are doing great for me. I've ridden between 50's and 90's so far and they don't vent as much as I'd like, which is good for cooler days especially.

What about Teknic Violator? I dig the white... And they are on Closeout since Teknic closed up shop...
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...iolator-gloves
The more I browse, the more these gloves look alike. It's a serious first world problem... I don't know which motorcycle gloves to buy!

Old June 19th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #18
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

I have Dainese gloves. Love them.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 09:19 AM   #19
Slono
ninjette.org guru

After thinking about all my options I put in an order for the new Held Phantom ii gloves a few days ago. I should have them by Wednesday or so. I can't wait to see if the gloves live up to the hype. I'll be VERY disappointed if they don't because spending $300 on a pair of gloves was terrible on my wallet.

Old June 24th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #20
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Just thinking about it hurts MY wallet too...

Old June 24th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #21
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Just thinking about it hurts MY wallet too...
Yup. With that sort of money I could have done some suspension upgrades to my SV650. To justify the price though, you can't put a price on your hands.

Old June 24th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #22
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

True dat. #insertobligatorygirlfriendjokehere

Old June 25th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #23
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Just got back from a 400km ride with the Phantom IIs. All I have to say is they absolutely live up to the hype. I'm done spending my hard earned money on gloves that aren't worth their price tag. If you're on the fence about spending money on these gloves be confident that you are getting a top quality product.

My past gloves:
- Joe rocket sonic
- Alpinestars sp-2
- Alpinestars sp-1

Surprisingly the sonics were the best quality; the cheapest too at $60CAN. I paid $100CAN for the sp2s and $180CAN for the Sp1s and both had running threads after a handful of rides. Disappointing to say the least since A*s is probably the biggest name out of them all.

HELD is my new favourite. They've earned it.

Old June 25th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #24
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2008 Daytona 675

Titan Helds. No sweat in summer, very well ventilated. I don't think it'll be a problem in colder temps, you'll probably get cold before your hands go numb

I still have a pair of A* SP2 gloves. I gave up on them after my hands were soaking wet after every 20 minute session on track. Couldn't even grip properly, hands were sliding inside a normally fitting glove.
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #25
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Truthfully I would have a regular set of gloves and then a winter set.

I have Cortech Scarabs for winter and Heroic SPR Pro's for everything else! And an old pair of SP2's for mucky spring/fall weather (warm humid rains).

In my experience it has worked better that way!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote