ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 8th, 2015, 03:58 PM   #1
//z
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): ZX11, Ninja 250, DRZ400sm, V65 Sabre

Please help with my new bike

So I got a decent deal on a 2007 ninja I bought online. it said it ran so that was good enough for me. It was an auction website so it clearly had some kind of issue. It had minor scratches on it so it looks like it was dropped in a parking lot or garage.

So anyways the bike ran like total garbage. I pulled the carb & cleaned it and barley manage to get the airbox back on and it ran pretty good. A few hours later I took it for a spin and it ran horrible. It was extremely sluggish and felt like a 50cc scooter. I did notice a loud induction noise so could this be that the airbox popped off and it's giving me very, very poor performance? Can't I save the trouble and do pod filters? Someone said not too because it would be difficult to tune.

I am extremely fed up with the airbox at this point. so it would feel very good to remove for good.
//z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2015, 04:01 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Jake!

You can choose the lesser of two evils that best suits you. The stock airbox is pretty easy to tune but a pain in the arse to get on and off/out. Pod filters are a bit more trouble to tune but can be pretty easy to remove as needed.

Tuning pods is not really hard per say... just normally takes multiple attempts where many riders don't have that level of patience.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2015, 04:13 PM   #3
//z
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Welcome Jake!

You can choose the lesser of two evils that best suits you. The stock airbox is pretty easy to tune but a pain in the arse to get on and off/out. Pod filters are a bit more trouble to tune but can be pretty easy to remove as needed.

Tuning pods is not really hard per say... just normally takes multiple attempts where many riders don't have that level of patience.
thanks!

Yea I still haven't put the bike back together yet fully lol. I had to take off the fender liner (or what ever you call it) to move the airbox back to get the carbs in. I honestly don't know why they won't make a seal. I had to use a heat gun and heat it up to get it on to the carbs. The spring is pretty stretched out since I had to stretch it to get it on.

Would hose clamps work to get a better seal??? I just want this bike running right lol.

So there isn't a general jet setup that works for everyone? I personally don't care about power at the moment. I just want the bike to run right as easy as possible.

Oh I also noticed that this hose popped off, would you happen to know what it was for? I was going to guess coolant but the reserve tank was full

Old February 9th, 2015, 11:35 AM   #4
ninjunk
Lostcause enthusiast

Name: Graham

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250F

ohhhhh woah

that is not good, yeah that is your coolant line and your reserve tank might be full but the entire cooling system is completely, or nearly, empty.

the temp sensor goes into the water so it won't register if you don't have anything in the cooling system.

you can try filling it up with coolant, but chances are pretty good you smoked it, especially if you ran it like that for very long.

the airbox boots can be frustrating, but they aren't impossible. Try boiling them in hot water for a minute to soften them up, then work as quickly as possible to put them both on the carbs, then slide the airbox into place and pop them into the airbox. When you boil them you'll have about 5 minutes to do the job before they go back to being hard again, so work fast but carefully.
ninjunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2015, 11:41 AM   #5
//z
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjunk View Post
ohhhhh woah

that is not good, yeah that is your coolant line and your reserve tank might be full but the entire cooling system is completely, or nearly, empty.

the temp sensor goes into the water so it won't register if you don't have anything in the cooling system.

you can try filling it up with coolant, but chances are pretty good you smoked it, especially if you ran it like that for very long.

the airbox boots can be frustrating, but they aren't impossible. Try boiling them in hot water for a minute to soften them up, then work as quickly as possible to put them both on the carbs, then slide the airbox into place and pop them into the airbox. When you boil them you'll have about 5 minutes to do the job before they go back to being hard again, so work fast but carefully.
I ran it kinda hard before realizing. Not sure if i did permeant damage or not. Wait the groments come off the airbox? I boiled rubber pieces that connect to the head and that worked great. I may pull it apart again today. They seem like they're connected though but theres a slight gap

Old February 9th, 2015, 12:56 PM   #6
ninjunk
Lostcause enthusiast

Name: Graham

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250F

yeah you gotta fill the cooling system through the radiator cap, the overfill tank is just to hold and replace coolant that is lost when the cap blows.

The boots come out of the airbox, the way i just did it last weekend (through some trial and error) was to pull the boots out of the airbox, unbolt the inner fender and pull the airbox back. Boil the boots and put them on the carbs first, seat the springs in place, then push the airbox onto the boots and reach inside the airbox with my hand to fully seat the seals inside the airbox.

i've fought with some pretty frustrating 2 and 4 carb motos over the years, this one was up there just for the fact that the boots don't stay on the carbs real well, and when you go to put the airbox on, they tend to pull off. using hose clamps instead of the stupid springs might make things quite a bit easier
ninjunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #7
//z
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjunk View Post
yeah you gotta fill the cooling system through the radiator cap, the overfill tank is just to hold and replace coolant that is lost when the cap blows.

The boots come out of the airbox, the way i just did it last weekend (through some trial and error) was to pull the boots out of the airbox, unbolt the inner fender and pull the airbox back. Boil the boots and put them on the carbs first, seat the springs in place, then push the airbox onto the boots and reach inside the airbox with my hand to fully seat the seals inside the airbox.

i've fought with some pretty frustrating 2 and 4 carb motos over the years, this one was up there just for the fact that the boots don't stay on the carbs real well, and when you go to put the airbox on, they tend to pull off. using hose clamps instead of the stupid springs might make things quite a bit easier
I tired putting the boots on the carbs first then attaching it to the airbox but it was just sooooo much harder that way. I think I got them fully seated. It's really hard to see.

Now I have an issue with the throttle cable. It clicks when I twist the throttle and it sticks. not sure why that is

Old February 10th, 2015, 06:09 AM   #8
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Quote:
Originally Posted by //z View Post
Now I have an issue with the throttle cable. It clicks when I twist the throttle and it sticks.
Sounds like the cable may be frayed. Usually this happens close to where the cable goes into the cable sheath. If it's frayed, replace it.

Old February 10th, 2015, 05:41 PM   #9
//z
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Sounds like the cable may be frayed. Usually this happens close to where the cable goes into the cable sheath. If it's frayed, replace it.
Turns out it was getting caught up on a hose clamp. How the hell do you adjust the throttle cables so it snaps back? I tried adjusting the setting on the handlebar and on the carb. Right now it closes really slowly

Old February 10th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
I tired putting the boots on the carbs first then attaching it to the airbox but it was just sooooo much harder that way. I think I got them fully seated. It's really hard to see.

Now I have an issue with the throttle cable. It clicks when I twist the throttle and it sticks. not sure why that is
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Battery...r_carb_removal

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Throttl...is/re-assembly

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Lubing_the_cables

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Adjusti...hrottle_cables

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Riders

Welcome !!!

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 10th, 2015, 06:23 PM   #11
//z
ninjette.org newbie

Ah so that's how you lube the cables.. I'll defiantly try that and hopefully that's my issue. Thanks for those convenient links!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 10th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
........Thanks for those convenient links!
You are welcome
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2015, 01:21 PM   #13
//z
ninjette.org newbie

I've literally tried everything in order to get the throttle to snap back. I had both cables soak upside down in motor oil and that didn't do anything. When I let go of the throttle, the return line has a ton of slack. I tried making an adustment on the return line but that didn't do much. Could there be too much tension on the pull?

Old February 11th, 2015, 01:40 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
this is like the greatest idea in the history of lubricating cables.

Old February 11th, 2015, 02:17 PM   #15
//z
ninjette.org newbie

^^^ make sure the bag is really tight because when I did it, it made a mess lol

all the slack when the throttle is wide open

Old February 11th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Hint:

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.