ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old August 8th, 2017, 09:46 PM   #1
gitter
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 20' Speed Triple RS - 95 ex250

Question 2010 only running on one cylinder

hey guys,
been a long time lurker on the site, haven't posted much. Ive bought and fixed a few pre-gens with various issues over the years but this is my first newer model 250 and I'm a bit stumped.

I bought it as a non running project and finally have it narrowed down to the left cylinder isn't getting spark.
so far this is what I've checked:

I swapped out the coils and both coils seem to be working on the right cylinder

Fresh plugs are in it, still no spark

One cylinder is firing so I'm thinking its not the crank position sensor

so I'm guessing my issue is lying somewhere within the wiring harness or the cdi is malfunctioning. Any help would be appreciated as to where I should start looking.

Thanks in advance
Gitter
gitter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2017, 12:19 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Do you have oscilloscope or access to one? This is literally a 5-minute job with one.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2017, 06:07 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I guess I would start tracing power back with a meter or test light, starting at the coils, into the wiring harness to see if you can isolate where it stops.
jkv45 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2017, 08:12 AM   #4
gitter
ninjette.org member

Sadly I don't have access to one. Is there any way to do it without an oscilloscope?

If I'm looking at the wiring diagram right it looks like the only wiring runnng in and out of the left coil is a black wire to the cdi and the red wire up to the kill switch on the right clip on?

Old August 9th, 2017, 10:24 AM   #5
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitter View Post
Sadly I don't have access to one. Is there any way to do it without an oscilloscope?

If I'm looking at the wiring diagram right it looks like the only wiring runnng in and out of the left coil is a black wire to the cdi and the red wire up to the kill switch on the right clip on?
This looks like inductive ignition, not CDI then. Oscilloscope needed to troubleshoot output signal from CDI to coil.

1. Test for +12v power to coil on red wire on both coils.

2. Then test for momentary grounding of black wire when running. A 'noid light can be used.

3. Have you tried swapping plugs and coil-output wires between sides? Could just be bad coil output wire

Old August 9th, 2017, 11:45 AM   #6
gitter
ninjette.org member

I swapped the coils and the left cylinder still doesn't get spark so I'm assuming the coils are good.

As far as checking for 12v at the red wire on the coils, I'm assuming key in the on position but bike not running?

Old August 9th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #7
DannoXYZ

Quote:
I swapped the coils and the left cylinder still doesn't get spark so I'm assuming the coils are good.
We want to leave the coils and swap just the output-wire. We are testing the hi-ten plug wire to spark-plug. If you swapped left output wire along with coil to right side and it sparked there, then that should be good enough to rule out spark wire.

Quote:
As far as checking for 12v at the red wire on the coils, I'm assuming key in the on position but bike not running?
Yep.

1. Here's solenoid test-light. It has duration-extending circuitry so that light stays on long enough for human eye to see. Otherwise flashes are too quick. Connect to each side of ignition-coil and should show flashing.
Solenoid test light

2. If coil not getting grounding signal from ECU, test continuity of black-wire from ECU to coil. Should be zero-resistance end-to-end on each side.

3. Connect solenoid test-light directly to ECU's output to coils. Use +12v power to ECU for one side. Should have flashing at ECU outputs on each side. Otherwise ECU's bad.

Old August 9th, 2017, 01:32 PM   #8
gitter
ninjette.org member

Yup I swapped the coil and wire as one unit and they both fired off on the right cylinder. I'll check for voltage hopefully Friday on my day off

Old August 9th, 2017, 02:41 PM   #9
gitter
ninjette.org member

Also, as far as the plugs, they're fresh plugs.

Old August 9th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #10
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:

Buy a Kawasaki Service Manual and a DVOM. You'll save yourself a-lot of time.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2017, 08:50 PM   #11
gitter
ninjette.org member

Just tested the red wires at the coils and have 11.5v @ each coil and 11.75 at the battery

Old August 9th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #12
gitter
ninjette.org member

Also I talked to the previous owner and he said it ran fine until one night the left cylinder stopped getting spark, the tach stopped working and the gas gauge stopped working all at once

Old August 9th, 2017, 10:59 PM   #13
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

I had a similar problem and am inclined to say its a problem with the wiring harness. Is the neutral light working?
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2017, 11:16 PM   #14
gitter
ninjette.org member

As far as lights, neutral, oil, temp, blinker and the back lighting to all the gauges works. The needles on the tach and gas gauge don't seem to be working. (Also the no spark thing)

Old August 10th, 2017, 09:13 AM   #15
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying View Post
I had a similar problem and am inclined to say its a problem with the wiring harness. Is the neutral light working?
Quote:
As far as lights, neutral, oil, temp, blinker and the back lighting to all the gauges works. The needles on the tach and gas gauge don't seem to be working. (Also the no spark thing)
Gauges dying at same time is clue, I bet black signal wire between ECU and coil is shorting out with some of gauge wires. The tach gets its RPM signal from left-coil black wire. They all share common power and ground wires. Let's test black signal wire between ECU and coil.

1. Unplug connector from ECU and black wire from coil. Measure resistance of black wire from end-to-end.

2. Measure resistance of black wire from either end to chassis ground.

These tests will at least tell us health of signal wire to left coil. Now, signal on that wire should look like this:

Unlike popular misconception, ECU/ignitor does not send power to coil to fire plugs. Coil is powered fulltime directly from battery through ignition/kill-switch, and ECU/ignitor grounds coil to fire plugs. So oscilloscope trace you see is signal on green (right) or black (left) wire between ECU and coils. During spark OFF time, coil is charged from other side by red +12v wire. Since signal side is open (disconnected), there's no current-flow and no voltage-drop; we see battery voltage on both sides of coil. Then during spark ON time, ignitor grounds green and black signal wire to dump coil and fires plugs.Those are momentary dips to zero you see on trace.

With oscilloscope, we just test for this signal at ECU-ignitor socket. Then work forwards on green|black wire towards coils to see if it stops somewhere due to broken wire or bad connector. Where signal disappears is your problem. Without oscilloscope, you can use 'noid-light. Gives you binary ON/OFF data instead of nice 'scope trace, but serves same function.

So test resistance of black signal wire for now. And get 'noid-light. I'll look up how to test gauge and fuel-level wires; I suspect these failures are all connected...

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; August 10th, 2017 at 09:51 PM.

Old August 10th, 2017, 09:20 AM   #16
DannoXYZ

Hmmm.... Looks like there's no cam-sensor. So ignitor is doing wasted-spark. We might be able to fire left-coil using right-coil's trigger-signal. But that's just workaround, doesn't actually find and fix problem...

Old August 10th, 2017, 09:50 AM   #17
DannoXYZ

Ok, here's how to test power & ground for fuel & tach:

1. with key ON, test for power at harness-side connector brown/black wire

2. with key ON, test for power at gauge-side connector brown wire

3. measure resistance between chassis-ground and harness-side connector black/yellow wire

4. measure resistance between chassis-ground and gauge-side connector black/yellow wire

unplug ECU connector

5. measure resistance between ECU-connector black wire and harness-side connector black wire

6. measure resistance between ECU-connector black wire and guage-side connector black wire

7. measure resistance between ECU-connector black wire and chassis-ground

Old August 11th, 2017, 07:58 AM   #18
gitter
ninjette.org member

Thanks, gonna get started on this after morning coffee. picked up the 'noid light last night, or rather a set of them. does it matter which one i use ( theres a few in there for different types of injectors)

Old August 11th, 2017, 08:55 AM   #19
DannoXYZ

Shouldn't matter which light you use.
I would use test leads with alligator-clips to make them easier to connect.
Use it on the working side first (green wire) to get an idea of what a good signal looks like.

Good luck!

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; August 11th, 2017 at 11:54 AM.

Old August 11th, 2017, 12:43 PM   #20
gitter
ninjette.org member

Ok here's what I have so far:

12.6V

12.3V

3. measure resistance between chassis-ground and harness-side connector black/yellow wire

4. measure resistance between chassis-ground and gauge-side connector black/yellow wire

unplug ECU connector

5. measure resistance between ECU-connector black wire and harness-side connector black wire

6. measure resistance between ECU-connector black wire and guage-side connector black wire

Old August 11th, 2017, 01:28 PM   #21
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Ok here's what I have so far:

12.6V

12.3V

This is good, means we're getting power to the gauges across the connector. They also have good grounds to chassis

Quote:
unplug ECU connector

Good that black signal wire is intact to tach. NOT GOOD that it's shorted to ground somewhere between ECU-connector and coil/tach.

I guess you'll have to unwrap the loom starting at the ECU-connector and work your way forwards inspecting black coil wire along the way. At some point, it's frayed with a bare-spot and connecting to ground. Or where it splits off to tach may be shorted as well. Hmmm, maybe a short inside the tach?

Try this final test before unwrapping:

8. disconnect black signal-wire from coil
9. unplug gauge-connector from harness connectors
10. measure resistance of black-wire between ECU-connector and coil spade-connector
11. measure resistance of either end of black signal-wire to chassis-ground

If it has infinite-resistance (open), then we know there's short between tach and gauge-connector.
Otherwise, there's still short along way from ECU to coil, and we'll need to open up loom and inspect entire length of that black wire.

You can use the 'noid-light to test signal as well. Start at ECU-connector's green coil-wire as control to confirm light works. Then switch to black-wire terminal and verify ECU's sending out correct grounding signal (use any +12v for other terminal of 'noid-light). Then work your way up black wire and see where signal stops.

Old August 11th, 2017, 02:05 PM   #22
gitter
ninjette.org member

connevting at both ends of the signal wire I get .3
Gauge plug to spade connector on coil I get .3
Spade connector to ground I can't get a reading

Old August 11th, 2017, 02:15 PM   #23
DannoXYZ

Hmm, sounds like there's short between gauge-connector and tach.

Leave gauges disconnected from harness
Plug ECU-connector back in
Plug spade-connector/black-wire into coil
Start bike, does it in run on both cylinders now?

Old August 11th, 2017, 02:54 PM   #24
gitter
ninjette.org member

Used 'noid light, worked fine on right cylinder, left cylinder nothing lit up.

Unplugged gauge cluster from harness, still no spark on left cylinder

Old August 11th, 2017, 03:53 PM   #25
gitter
ninjette.org member

Just pulled the gauge cluster harness apart didn't see any damaged wires. Time to start pulling the main harness apart?

Old August 11th, 2017, 06:42 PM   #26
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Used 'noid light, worked fine on right cylinder, left cylinder nothing lit up.

Unplugged gauge cluster from harness, still no spark on left cylinder
Quote:
Just pulled the gauge cluster harness apart didn't see any damaged wires. Time to start pulling the main harness apart?
Odd... testing showed there's no short on black wire between ECU/igniter and gauge-connector though.

Where did you hook up 'noid-light? At the coils? Or at the ECU connector? If at ECU connector, then we have bad ECU with no output on one side

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; August 11th, 2017 at 08:38 PM.

Old August 11th, 2017, 08:19 PM   #27
gitter
ninjette.org member

I hooked it up at the coil wires. The wires were disconnected from the coil at the time

Old August 11th, 2017, 08:19 PM   #28
gitter
ninjette.org member

Should I pull the wiring harness and go through it? Or try finding an ecu on eBay / CL?

Old August 11th, 2017, 08:38 PM   #29
DannoXYZ

Quote:
I hooked it up at the coil wires. The wires were disconnected from the coil at the time
OK, that's good. Was the gauges unplugged from harness too?
If so, that pretty much means the ECU/ignitor is bad since we've tested the black wire as good.

That explains why tach doesn't work. However, doesn't explain the fuel gauge.

Old August 11th, 2017, 09:01 PM   #30
gitter
ninjette.org member

i dont remember if they were plugged in or not. I'll re-test tomorrow with them plugged in. would a bad ecu cause the grounding issue that we thought i had though?

Old August 12th, 2017, 09:55 AM   #31
DannoXYZ

Gauges and coil should be unplug unplugged for test at ECU connector.
No signal on black wire with signal on green shows bad ECU

Old August 12th, 2017, 06:55 PM   #32
gitter
ninjette.org member

ok so i unplugged the gauge cluster.

left coil still plugged in, unplugged right coil ( green/red) cranked it over, 'noid light lit up.

Right coil plugged in, left coil (black/red) unplugged, cranked it over, 'noid light didnt light up.

does that point to a faulty ecu? if so, how does that point to a faulty ecu?

Old August 12th, 2017, 07:36 PM   #33
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
The red wires on the coils are connected to ground and constantly supply the coils with power.

The black/green wires coming from the ECU signal each coil to cause a spark. If there is no continuity from the black/green wires coming from the ECU, then there might be a problem within the ECU that prevents the signal from going out to black/green.

In your case, I'm assuming black is lighting up, but green isn't?
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #34
gitter
ninjette.org member

Green is lighting up, black isn't lighting up

Old August 12th, 2017, 09:17 PM   #35
DannoXYZ

Quote:
ok so i unplugged the gauge cluster.

left coil still plugged in, unplugged right coil ( green/red) cranked it over, 'noid light lit up.

Right coil plugged in, left coil (black/red) unplugged, cranked it over, 'noid light didnt light up.

• Testing grounds seems to indicate some sort of short on black-wire.
  • Disconnecting gauge-connectors removes short on black-wire
  • You've verified that the black-wire is intact from ECU-connector up to space-connector @ coil.
  • Noid-light shows signal on green wire at coil and at ECU connector
  • Noid-light shows NO signal on black at coil and at ECU connector.
I think this process of elimination and boolean-logic narrows down problem to no signal coming out of black terminal at ECU.

Here's final test & confirmation of bad ECU:

1. unplug both spark-plug wires from plugs
2. disconnect gauges
3. disconnect black wire spade-connector from left-coil
4. connect empty left-coil signal terminal to right-coil signal terminal (green). You can use a test-lead with alligator clips and back out green spade-connector slightly.
5. use 'noid-light and test right-coil when cranking
6. use 'noid-light and test left-coil when cranking

Do you get flashing at both coils now? If yes, plug spark-wires back in and run bike. Does it run on both cylinders? Only do this short-term, 10-15sec. max.

Now, you still have wiring issue, and it very well could be that short damaged ECU driver on left side. So we want to track down that short and fix it otherwise new ECU will be damaged as well.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; August 13th, 2017 at 09:12 AM.

Old August 12th, 2017, 09:22 PM   #36
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying View Post
The red wires on the coils are connected to ground and constantly supply the coils with power.
Red wires are actually connected to battery to constantly supply the coils with power. Then ECU grounds green & black wires on other side of coil to fire spark.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 18th, 2017, 12:59 PM   #37
gitter
ninjette.org member

hey guys, its been a few days, finally had time to pull the harness and split it open.

Found that the black (signal wire for the tach) and the brown/black (im assuming ground for tach, gas gauge, and temp light) were worn through and touching, close to where the black wire splits into two wires ( to go to tach and left coil, respectively)

I dont want to jinx it but I'm pretty sure that was my problem. At this point do i just wrap the bare spots with tape and then wrap the harness back up?

Old August 18th, 2017, 01:03 PM   #38
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I like repair methods like splicing in new sections of wire, using solder and heat-shrink tubing on the joints.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #39
gitter
ninjette.org member

in a prefect work yes. but will wrapping it in electrical tape suffice?

Old August 18th, 2017, 01:10 PM   #40
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
hey guys, its been a few days, finally had time to pull the harness and split it open.

Found that the black (signal wire for the tach) and the brown/black (im assuming ground for tach, gas gauge, and temp light) were worn through and touching, close to where the black wire splits into two wires ( to go to tach and left coil, respectively)

I dont want to jinx it but I'm pretty sure that was my problem. At this point do i just wrap the bare spots with tape and then wrap the harness back up?
To test that it fixes the problem yes. But you will eventually get problems there again. Best bet is solder and shrink wrap.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote