ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 25th, 2016, 10:17 AM   #1
waynemc
ninjette.org member

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): None yet

How long do bikes last?

I understand this is a ninja forum and all, I was planning on buying a brand new 2016 300... but I found another bike.

It's a susuki gsxr 600. 2003. 10,000 miles.

Now about the owner: He bought it from someone and it was a little scratched up so he repainted it, replaced the mirror, changed the oil, spark plugs, air filter, put new hand grips on it and handlebar weights. He is also married, with two kids... so that could be a good sign.

I doubt all of that was needed, but I'm sure he did it just as general maintenance... But. 10,000 miles and it's a 2003. I plan on taking it to a local motorparts store near me and having them inspect it (pretty much the only one around me) and see what they say.

He wants $3000 for it. What do you guys think? Could the year and mileage be an issue? Could it be a decent bike that'll last a while?
waynemc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2016, 10:26 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
How much experience do you have?

Because you were looking at a Ninja 300, it would appear that possibly you are a new or newer rider. The 300 is a forgiving cycle that is well mannered and fun to ride.

A GSXR 600 is a different animal. It's a full-on Super Sport, and when the power comes on you better be ready because there's a bunch of it.

The one you described sounds like a bike that was crashed and the guy got it cheap (see if it's a "Salvage Title"). He did a few things to get it back on the road, and is planning to cash in. Completely repainting a cycle is a big project, and not usually something that people do unless it's been pretty rashed-up.

If it's been crashed and repaired, there will be a ton of things that you need to look at to be sure that it's safe to ride and hasn't been hacked together.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old August 25th, 2016, 10:30 AM   #3
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
A very similar question is, how long do cars last?

it's 10,000 miles. it's barely broken in.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 25th, 2016, 10:33 AM   #4
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
How long do bikes last?

@NevadaWolf is getting close to 100K miles on her Ninja 250. I have a 1988 Ninja 250 with 139,000 miles on it, but the motor was replaced a couple times according to the previous owner.

10,000 miles wouldn't bother me. But as JKV45 says above, there are a lot of other concerns with you buying that bike.

FWIW, I'm married with kids, have some very abused Ninja 250's that I am resurrecting. Just because I take care of my bikes doesn't mean that they haven't had a rough life before they got to me.

You really liked that Ninja 300, wait until Sunday.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2016, 10:34 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
A very similar question is, how long do cars last?it's 10,000 miles. it's barely broken in.
Right. If you ride it for daily transportation, you can easily put 10,000 miles on it in a year.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2016, 10:34 AM   #6
waynemc
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
How much experience do you have?

Because you were looking at a Ninja 300, it would appear that possibly you are a new or newer rider. The 300 is a forgiving cycle that is well mannered and fun to ride.

A GSXR 600 is a different animal. It's a full-on Super Sport, and when the power comes on you better be ready because there's a bunch of it.

The one you described sounds like a bike that was crashed and the guy got it cheap (see if it's a "Salvage Title"). He did a few things to get it back on the road, and is planning to cash in. Completely repainting a cycle is a big project, and not usually something that people do unless it's been pretty rashed-up.

If it's been crashed and repaired, there will be a ton of things that you need to look at to be sure that it's safe to ride and hasn't been hacked together.
I've never ridden anything over 125 (it was also a dirtbike). It says its a clean title. He might of just had a lot of time on his hands. This is the main reason why I'm taking it to a motorparts store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
How long do bikes last?

@NevadaWolf is getting close to 100K miles on her Ninja 300. I have a 1988 Ninja 250 with 139,000 miles on it, but the motor was replaced a couple times according to the previous owner.

10,000 miles wouldn't bother me. But as JKV45 says above, there are a lot of other concerns with you buying that bike.

FWIW, I'm married with kids, have some very abused Ninja 250's that I am resurrecting. Just because I take care of my bikes doesn't mean that they haven't had a rough life before they got to me.

You really liked that Ninja 300, wait until Sunday.
But I also kind of want something stronger, but budget is an issue. I'm 18 and in college.

Old August 25th, 2016, 10:37 AM   #7
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
There are a Harley and BMW guy or two that have put over a million miles on their bikes. They're each on their second engine, but what the heck...
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2016, 10:40 AM   #8
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemc View Post
I've never ridden anything over 125 (it was also a dirtbike). It says its a clean title. He might of just had a lot of time on his hands. This is the main reason why I'm taking it to a motorparts store.

But I also kind of want something stronger, but budget is an issue. I'm 18 and in college.
I'm 52 and I have 4 kids around your age (17-25). 3 of them ride with me. They all are still riding Ninja 250's.

Take my fatherly advice as you will, but skip the 600 for a first bike. Get the Ninja 300, learn to master it before you go to a bigger bike. You may think you want a bigger bike, but you really don't need a bigger bike. I've done 500 mile trips on my 250, gone camping, kept up with much bigger bikes just fine.

A Ninja 300 is plenty fast enough to get you in trouble. A GSXR 600 will kill you fast.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old August 25th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Dude, trust me, don't start street riding on a GSXR600.

Another tip - don't buy a new cycle for your first. Find a good used 250 (we discussed a couple in another thread) and take a MSF course. Riding on the street is serious, and you need to be prepared. Make sure you have money left for good gear and insurance.

I'm telling you this based on over 35 years of street riding, and more on the dirt before that. I've owned over 30 cycles (currently have a dozen), and some were Super Sports. I've taught 2 boys to ride cycles, starting when they were about 3. I still insisted that they not start street riding on Super Sports and that they take a MSF course.

EDIT: Va beat me to the fatherly advice...

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 25th, 2016, 10:43 AM   #10
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Spoiler for topic:
It depends on how well Unregistered maintains your vehicle, some bikes get crashed not even 100 miles in

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2016, 10:45 AM   #11
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
@NevadaWolf is getting close to 100K miles on her Ninja 300.
Mine's a 2012 250, the last year before the 300's came out.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2016, 10:46 AM   #12
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Funny, I've had faster bikes all my life, and am really enjoying the light weight and handling of my 250 now. It's funny to ride with my neighbor on his Hayabusa. With him behind me, I once took a turn at near knee-dragging speed and he tried to follow. He gave up and rode off into a farm driveway. I wasn't trying to make him crash, but it almost happened. His bike was dynoed at something like 185 rear wheel HP, and he couldn't keep up.

Old August 25th, 2016, 10:47 AM   #13
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Funny, I've had faster bikes all my life, and am really enjoying the light weight and handling of my 250 now. It's funny to ride with my neighbor on his Hayabusa. With him behind me, I once took a turn at near knee-dragging speed and he tried to follow. He gave up and rode off into a farm driveway. I wasn't trying to make him crash, but it almost happened. His bike was dynoed at something like 185 rear wheel HP, and he couldn't keep up.
It's the Wizard, not the wand...

Old August 25th, 2016, 11:06 AM   #14
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
My last bike before my Ninja 250 was a 1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird.

It's a lot funner riding a slow bike fast than it is riding a fast bike slow.

Old August 25th, 2016, 11:06 AM   #15
waynemc
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'm 52 and I have 4 kids around your age (17-25). 3 of them ride with me. They all are still riding Ninja 250's.

Take my fatherly advice as you will, but skip the 600 for a first bike. Get the Ninja 300, learn to master it before you go to a bigger bike. You may think you want a bigger bike, but you really don't need a bigger bike. I've done 500 mile trips on my 250, gone camping, kept up with much bigger bikes just fine.

A Ninja 300 is plenty fast enough to get you in trouble. A GSXR 600 will kill you fast.
That bike is gone, the guy said hes showing it to two people tomorrow. He said he'd do it for 2400 that day and that day only, but he didn't have the title there so I walked.

Now he's 2 hours away with the bike and he said it's "first come first serve"

Old August 25th, 2016, 11:09 AM   #16
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Mine's a 2012 250, the last year before the 300's came out.
My bad , fixed it.

You've still put a lot of miles on a little bike. They last a long time if you take care of them.

Old August 25th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #17
waynemc
ninjette.org member

Quote:
My last bike before my Ninja 250 was a 1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird.

It's a lot funner riding a slow bike fast than it is riding a fast bike slow.
I just can't really find much.

I'm on the Omaha/Council Bluffs craigslist.

Old August 25th, 2016, 11:27 AM   #18
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
I searched for about 3 months before I found a Ninja 250 for my daughter. Then I found another one within a couple days. Then two months later I found two more of them.

I know what it's like to be 18 and in a hurry to get what I want. I also know how much it can cost in the long run to rush into things.

I've been patient looking for my bikes. I have 5 running Ninja 250's for less than you are looking to pay for one of them. (I also have some basic mechanical skills)

You are in Nebraska, you have about a month and a half of good riding weather, then the bike will sit all winter. Shortly people will be wanting to sell their bikes instead of store them. or they will want a snowmobile instead of a bike, or will need to pay bills after Christmas. Prices always drop in the fall/winter.

Old August 25th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #19
waynemc
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I searched for about 3 months before I found a Ninja 250 for my daughter. Then I found another one within a couple days. Then two months later I found two more of them.

I know what it's like to be 18 and in a hurry to get what I want. I also know how much it can cost in the long run to rush into things.

I've been patient looking for my bikes. I have 5 running Ninja 250's for less than you are looking to pay for one of them. (I also have some basic mechanical skills)

You are in Nebraska, you have about a month and a half of good riding weather, then the bike will sit all winter. Shortly people will be wanting to sell their bikes instead of store them. or they will want a snowmobile instead of a bike, or will need to pay bills after Christmas. Prices always drop in the fall/winter.
The thing is...

I know no bike mechanical things besides simple stuff. I also have little experience so I don't want to test drive their bikes, which is another issue.

The smart thing would be to take the safety course, get my license, learn to ride there, and then buy a bike.

But that would take too long of course and I'm 18 and impatient and I want something now that may potentially kill me, like every other teenager.

I'm leaving now to go to a motorparts store to have that bike checked.

Old August 25th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #20
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:

You aren't looking too hard then.

https://omaha.craigslist.org/search/mca?query=250

I see seven Ninja 250's In the first 100 listings.

There are a bunch of Nighthawk, Rebel, and V-Star 250's. Maybe not as sexy as a GSXR-600, but good reliable starter bikes that won't break the bank or kill you with insurance costs.

You know the right thing to do. If you are too impatient, well...

I'm done here.

To become old and wise, first you have to survive being young and stupid. Good Luck.

Old August 25th, 2016, 11:40 AM   #21
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:

Be patient - they are out there. Don't settle.

I think I wrote in another of your threads about finding the same bike, but 5 years newer with 1/3 the miles and in great shape, for the same price that everyone wanted for a beat/neglected example. The difference in maintenance costs alone was hundreds of dollars - and that's just the parts as I do all my own work.

The guy you were dealing with sounds like a jerk. "Showing it to 2 people tomorrow" isn't "gone". They may never show up. Not having the Title ready to go is a big problem also, and another reason to keep looking. Good to pass IMO.

Old August 25th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #22
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
The smart thing would be to take the safety course, get my license, learn to ride there, and then buy a bike.
Yes, very smart in fact, to take the course ASAP. If you pass the course, all you need to get a license is to pass the written test at the DMV. (at least in most states, maybe all)

Old August 25th, 2016, 12:03 PM   #23
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Yes, very smart in fact, to take the course ASAP. If you pass the course, all you need to get a license is to pass the written test at the DMV. (at least in most states, maybe all)
PA you need to take the writen to get a learners, then you can take the course. Free

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2016, 12:07 PM   #24
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
That question is relative to how the bike was maintained. The older bike will probably need new brake lines, and other rubber parts. I'd probably get the ninja 300, don't buy new though.

Old August 25th, 2016, 12:30 PM   #25
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
The thing is...

I know no bike mechanical things besides simple stuff. I also have little experience so I don't want to test drive their bikes, which is another issue.

But that would take too long of course and I'm 18 and impatient and I want something now that may potentially kill me, like every other teenager.
Spoiler for Might hurt your feelings:
You know, guns are cheaper and arguably safer when handled properly if you just want something to satisfy that mall-ninja "I'm-so-dangerous-and-badass," attitude. They're also usually easier to maintain and fix than motorcycles. Scrap the whole bike idea, buy the shittiest AR-15 you can, and put $1000 in flashlights, laser sights, etc into it. I think that's really what you're looking for.

However, if you like the idea of eventually becoming an incredibly skilled motorcycle rider like most of us aim to, we've got plenty of resources on doing that, and a 250-300cc motorcycle is arguably the very best platform for this if you live in the United States. If you just wanna look cool and feel dangerous, there's a dillion ways to do that in a more efficient manner.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old August 25th, 2016, 12:38 PM   #26
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

this
https://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/5748974052.html

or this
https://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/5739059149.html
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2016, 01:25 PM   #27
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Wayne, do you have any plans to commute on the bike?

Many people with a 600-1000cc inline-4 bike in my local university's motorcycle club (many of whom started w/ smaller bikes) agrees that twin-cylinders (250s/FZ07s) are the way to go when it comes to actual driveability on the street.
If you're still listening, wait for a used 250/300 if you can. It's the ideal commuter bike at the moment and it tips nicely into the corners just like any bike.

I was in a similar position as you about three years ago, waiting was worth it.

Also, consider the insurance $$$ for a 600. If you're really on a budget, that's what's gonna get you.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2016, 02:44 PM   #28
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Teenager. On a budget. Insurance? State minimum! Holla!

Old August 25th, 2016, 04:27 PM   #29
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
This all reminds me of things I've seen all too often...
Has anyone posted any of the wrecked in the dealership videos / picsto this thread yet? hahahahaha

Old August 25th, 2016, 04:29 PM   #30
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
That question is relative to how the bike was maintained. The older bike will probably need new brake lines, and other rubber parts. I'd probably get the ninja 300, don't buy new though.
Didn't you start on a 636 on the street?
I still remember that sweet vid of your bike sliding into the ditch an the awful sound of grinding fairings

Old August 25th, 2016, 04:45 PM   #31
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I bought my bike in 2005 and it's still going strong.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #32
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I bought my bike in 2005 and it's still going strong.
The fact that you bought a pregen brand new and are still riding it makes me smile Most people go through bikes faster than they really need to.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2016, 09:13 PM   #33
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Didn't you start on a 636 on the street?
I still remember that sweet vid of your bike sliding into the ditch an the awful sound of grinding fairings
Yes my first street bike was a 600*.

Old August 26th, 2016, 01:06 AM   #34
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Yes my first street bike
That's one sweet ride though

What's that stupid PSA results may vary something something something...

Old August 27th, 2016, 05:29 AM   #35
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Name: shinobi

Motorcycle(s): '13 ninja 300

there is no general rule of thumb for life expectancy on any engine, well there is, but the determining factors such as usage/abuse, maintenance, etc play a major roll. also, assembly is important. ask me hiw i know. my ninja 300 engine lasted me 1265miles(not a typo), then it went KABOOM.
3ØØ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2016, 11:47 AM   #36
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
The thing is...

I'm leaving now to go to a motorparts store to have that bike checked.
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=275529
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #37
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

OP, please sign your organ donor card (often found on the back of your driver's license) because your impatience to do this right will reward many others with the gift of life. Teenaged organs also last the longest when transplanted.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2016, 12:06 PM   #38
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
OP, please sign your organ donor card (often found on the back of your driver's license) because your impatience to do this right will reward many others with the gift of life. Teenaged organs also last the longest when transplanted.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote