ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 11th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #1
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Dropping into N after shifting to 2nd.

My gearbox will sometimes (as much as 10 times a week) drop from 2nd into N.

I first noticed it at about 1500 miles, where a particularly hard bump would knock it into N, but only if I didn't kick the shifter up hard enough to hear an audible click.

It started getting worse at about 2500 miles where it would drop into N if I didn't kick the shifter up hard enough to hear an audible click.

And now at about 4000 miles, it's getting even worse and dropping into N regardless of how hard I kicked the shifter up.

This sounds like the teeth on the gear are getting worn down, right (I'm not a mechanic and not exactly sure how it works in there)?

The parts will be covered by warranty, I know that for sure. But I stopped by my dealer and they said labor wasn't covered under warranty. Is that correct?

Old August 11th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #2
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
My gearbox will sometimes (as much as 10 times a week) drop from 2nd into N.

I first noticed it at about 1500 miles, where a particularly hard bump would knock it into N, but only if I didn't kick the shifter up hard enough to hear an audible click.

It started getting worse at about 2500 miles where it would drop into N if I didn't kick the shifter up hard enough to hear an audible click.

And now at about 4000 miles, it's getting even worse and dropping into N regardless of how hard I kicked the shifter up.

This sounds like the teeth on the gear are getting worn down, right (I'm not a mechanic and not exactly sure how it works in there)?

The parts will be covered by warranty, I know that for sure. But I stopped by my dealer and they said labor wasn't covered under warranty. Is that correct?
my friend who also has the 2011 SE has the exact same complaint. Never happens with my 2008
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

Make sure you are "fully" engaging 2nd. Happens sometimes to me, and I noticed that the times it fell out, it seemed not to click in as surely.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

That was happening to me on my 2010, I noticed it stopped when I started fully paying attention and kicking all the way in to second with good form. I wanted so badly to blame the bike too haha
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #5
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

It's been happening more recently even after kicking the shifter up and hearing an audible thunk. Sometimes it'll drop into N after a second, or after ten seconds. Before I wasn't too worried about it, but I've almost dropped my bike twice because of it :/

Old August 11th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #6
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
It's been happening more recently even after kicking the shifter up and hearing an audible thunk. Sometimes it'll drop into N after a second, or after ten seconds. Before I wasn't too worried about it, but I've almost dropped my bike twice because of it :/
why would it cause you to drop your bike?
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #7
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Adjust your shift lever, and make sure you're making a solid shift into 2nd.
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Bols
Norwegian dude

Name: Ole

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 748

Had the same problem, adjusted the shift lever with the boots i use for riding, and the problem is gone. The shift lever was simply too high. If i ride with my other lower boots, i get the same problem again, so adjust and test with the boots you use most!

Here's a nice guide:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Bols is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #9
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

My 2011 is at about 1800 now and I been noticing same thing.. it never has a problem w any other gear and I up shift the same way.
However, I will adjust my lever see how that helps (thanks for youtube vid).

Edit: All adjusted, I can now just slide my toes down instead of out and down, then back in
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #10
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Adjusting the shift lever generally solves the problem. If it's only happening from 2nd to N, I doubt it would be from worn teeth (esp on an '11).
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #11
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I'm glad we got this all sorted out. Now I won't have to post that he probably needs to adjust his shift linkage. Whew!

Old August 11th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Hm.. So the problem is likely caused by my shift lever being.. too high, or too low (I can't really picture it in my head)? And adjusting the lever should fix the problem of it dropping out of a fully engaged 2nd gear , even after it being in gear for 5-10 seconds? I'll try adjusting the lever next time I take it out for a ride.

I've almost dropped/fallen twice because I'll shift into 2nd, and start accelerating to get into 3rd, then it'll drop down into neutral. The force of that feels like downshifting without blipping the throttle, except twice as much because you also have the throttle open from acceleration. The last time it happened, I shifted forwards quite a bit and thought I was going to slip off the tank or go over the bars; that's how jerky it was.

Old August 11th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #13
TheJimmyEnglish
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Red

Mine does the same but only cause I didn't fully engage the gear...

Old August 11th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #14
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJimmyEnglish View Post
Mine does the same but only cause I didn't fully engage the gear...
The point of adjusting the shift lever is to make it easier/more comfortable to fully engage the gear.

As far as I know, the bike staying in 2nd for a few seconds before shifting generally means you're not fully engaging 2nd. Try the shift linkage/lever fix and give it a little extra oomph when shifting next time to see if your problem goes away. You'll want to move your lever down a bit (ie, you want to have to move your toe down a little further to get under the shift lever, so that you don't have to pull as far to reach the top of the travel).
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #15
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

i never noticed a issue with my 11, but when i swapped pegs to aftermarket ones they actually sat lower so i had to adjust the shifter down some, id say that sounds like the problem and you need to adjust the shifter down slighlty.
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
adjust the shift linkage? ... that would be convenient. i say adjust the rider.

Old August 11th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #17
Lou
ninjette.org member

Name: LOU

Motorcycle(s): GreenSE 09 250R

Use to have the same problem, personaly just needed to pay more attention on getting the shifter all the way up. And it did almost cause me to fall over, was going into a turn, shifted before i leaned, had it slip into neutral about a 1/3 into the turn felt scary and had to pick her up and redo shift!
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #18
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Well, I adjusted the shift lever, and it stopped it from dropping into N after not shifting up hard enough. But the problem still persisted, even when I did kick up hard enough. Since I don't really know too much about it, I've decided I'm going to take it in (not only for that, but my front fork seems very loose, front to back motion only, and makes a lot of noise on potholes, bumps, etc) and get my problems addressed.

My only concern right now seems to be the labor cost. I read on the Kawi warranty FAQ that it covers labor, but I asked my dealer and someone said it doesn't cover labor. I'm assuming I talked to the wrong person?

Old August 12th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

There's a year warranty that covers just about everything other than wear items. If there is a true mechanical problem with your bike, it will (should be) fully covered.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #20
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

heh heh

Old August 27th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #21
JA-Moo
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): many kawasaki 2 stroke triples and a 250R now. Well no more 250R, 2013 300 now

You either have worn gear dogs and or bent/burned shift forks. It only takes a few "kick outs" to do damage.

And when shifting a great habit to get into, is when you up shift, pull all the way up on the shifter, and hold it up with your foot until the clutch is out and you are back on the gas. This holds the gear fully engaged.
JA-Moo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #22
Timr
needs a bigger shed

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2x2009 ninja 250's, 1x2011 250 ninja, 1x1990 yamaha fzr 250 1x2006 yamaha R6 1x atomic quad, 1xZZR250

change to gp shift, wont have the problem of not engaging properly any more and once your used to it it makes more sence that way any way.

also i agree with ja-moo it doesn't take to many times doing this to cause damage, especially if it happens under heavy acceleration i have also done the dogs and second on my 08 track bike 3 times but thats using a manual activated quick shifter which can be pretty brutal on gears.

its probably worth noting also that second is the most likely gear to damage as it can slip to netural where as in other gears it needs to go into another gear to slip out the one it is in, and that basicly holds it in gear therefore damage is less likely but not impossible especially if you like to clutchless change.
Timr is offline   Reply With Quote