ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old August 31st, 2015, 09:14 PM   #1
JohnnyH
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Johnny

Motorcycle(s): 1995 EX250,1978 XS650, 2008 FZ6, 1977 CB550f

Two Stroke Ninjette!

Ninjette purists be warned!

Hey all, I'm new to this forum and also to ninjette ownership. I registered here so I can get some insight and hopefully give you guys access to any solidworks files I create. To start things off, here's my plan.

I recently bought a '95 250f and am planning to put a kx250 two stroke motor in it, along with doing some performance upgrades and modifications to the suspension and brakes. I'm going for an ultra light, high power/weight ratio city ripper that's built for the track and not very street legal. Some things I've started on is removing anything that is not absolutely essential for the build, which basically left me with the frame, suspension, brakes, tank, and wheels. I'm currently working on a CNC top yoke, which looks doooope and should be done this week. Here's some photos of the build thus far!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File Aug 08, 12 54 25 PM.jpg (134.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg EX250 Top Yoke preview.JPG (40.8 KB, 16 views)
JohnnyH is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old August 31st, 2015, 09:15 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Johnny!

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2015, 09:26 PM   #3
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Welcome and good luck!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2015, 11:58 PM   #4
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

Sub'd, i need to see this happen for myself, good luck with the build and post alotta pics!!! (i like pics....alot)
xXecuterXx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2015, 06:02 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

@TheDuck started to put one of these together awhile back...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2015, 06:27 AM   #6
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

can't wait to see it turn out ..... howdy and welcome!!!!!
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2015, 06:33 AM   #7
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
As a purest of the 250 ninja. I am so offended by this blasphemy. The ninja is like a vintage Car. They should be restored to factory condition.
I for shame. ��

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 1st, 2015, 06:42 AM   #8
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
gearing is going to be tight. Not sure if any of the various kawi trannies would swap into the kx? sprocket changes alone will only get you so far. Would be fun around town at least.

With the narrow engine, how off center will the engine have to be mounted to get sprockets aligned?

assume you will fabricate a cradle, well and lots of other things?

There was a similar bike posted up a while back, it was a cr250 motor though... I think.
I will hunt for it later.

Found it. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=187632

Well enjoy the build, good luck, look forward to see what you end up doing

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2015, 06:51 AM   #9
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I have seen a number of land speed racers try to use dirt bike engines. The gearing is not good for top speed that's for sure. Rebel gears can make any gear you want for sprocket changes so you will be close. It seems like there is little difference between first and third.

Do you have the engine yet?

Old September 1st, 2015, 07:06 AM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Go for it!

I love the idea of having a street 2-stroke (I've had RDs, RZs, and have a Derbi). My dream bike/ultimate project is a 125 or 250 2-stroke street bike in a trick chassis (aluminum frame, inverted forks etc)

The issue that I see is the lack of reasonable engine mounting points availabe with the Ninja's frame. Not saying it can't be done, but there isn't a lot to work with for mounts for the smaller 2-stroke engine.

Keep us informed.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2015, 07:39 AM   #11
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
If I was to do a project bike with a 2t dirtbike thumper I would go as big of a bore as I could get my hands on. 300 or higher, preferably or maybe a 250 with a BB kit, so 295 or something of the likes. But not for the power, the rebuild intervals for the top end get way longer the larger bore you go.

A 125 mxer top end screaming on the street wouldn't last 20hrs, you could probably get over 50hrs on a 300 if you were screaming on it a good bit. Hard to say.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old September 1st, 2015, 11:31 AM   #12
JohnnyH
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Johnny

Motorcycle(s): 1995 EX250,1978 XS650, 2008 FZ6, 1977 CB550f

Today I almost finished the top yoke. I have a bit of drilling, tapping and bead blasting to do, but other than that I'm really happy with it! Gotta love engineering schools, CNC = the cats PJ's. Anybody interested in the .SLDPRT files let me know.

As far as engine mounts go...
I will probably use the lower part of the frame from my donor MX bike (that I'm about to buy) so that I know the stock exhaust will fit. From there i'll mill out some new mounts, do some welding and eventually I think I'll get a pretty good fit.

Gearing-
I know I'll be pushing the limits of what rear sprockets are available for ninjas and what front sprockets are available for kx's, but I think I can get pretty close. At least they both run the same chain! Also, I don't plan on taking it above, say, 75 mph so I think shorter gearing will be okay for around town.

Tires-
What do you track guys run? I'll be sticking with the 110 and 130 16's, I just need sticky tires that don't necessarily have to wear well. I know the Avon scooter tires are cool looking, anybody ever run those?

Suspension-
Here is where I need plenty of info. What do you guys use? I think I'm going to install valve emulators and new springs, but as far as rear suspension swaps go, whats the inside scoop?

Thanks so much for your input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File Sep 01, 12 13 06 PM.jpg (68.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg File Sep 01, 12 13 45 PM.jpg (140.3 KB, 9 views)
JohnnyH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2015, 07:55 PM   #13
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyH View Post
Suspension-
Here is where I need plenty of info. What do you guys use? I think I'm going to install valve emulators and new springs, but as far as rear suspension swaps go, whats the inside scoop?
The stock fork springs are really soft, like to the point of being useless for any adult. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231171 Keep in mind any significant weight changes due to the engine transplant.

Check out Ricor Intiminators too. They cost a little more than emulators, but I think they're a much more sophisticated solution. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=186192

I haven't seen a whole lot of detail on rear spring rates. With a bit of DIY work, you can swap in a GSX-R shock. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=170747 I'm not sure how similar/interchangeable the shocks/springs are, but there are a variety of spring rates available on different years/sizes. The shock itself, while not designed for the Ninja, seems to work well for a lot of people and provides a lot of adjustment options, for quite cheap.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2015, 11:48 AM   #14
ninjunk
Lostcause enthusiast

Name: Graham

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250F

This is an awesome project, i've had the same thought and might go the same direction if I pop my motor.

The KDX or WR enduro motors have wider ratio transmissions than their motorcross brethren, if you don't already have an engine look for one of them. Also torquier porting and better service interval.

The other option for an engine swap would be the banshee motor, the 350cc two stroke twin descended from the RD350, 50-60 hp, that would be a blast, although it might be too much power for the ninja's suspension.
ninjunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2015, 06:33 AM   #15
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjunk View Post
This is an awesome project, i've had the same thought and might go the same direction if I pop my motor.

The KDX or WR enduro motors have wider ratio transmissions than their motorcross brethren, if you don't already have an engine look for one of them. Also torquier porting and better service interval.

The other option for an engine swap would be the banshee motor, the 350cc two stroke twin descended from the RD350, 50-60 hp, that would be a blast, although it might be too much power for the ninja's suspension.
As evidenced by my username, I was/still am (a little anyway) looking at a kx500 swap. But taking the kx chassis and setting it up as a supermoto seems like a simpler process and would still net an awesome canyon carver.

Old September 18th, 2015, 07:59 AM   #16
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxpower? View Post
As evidenced by my username, I was/still am (a little anyway) looking at a kx500 swap. But taking the kx chassis and setting it up as a supermoto seems like a simpler process and would still net an awesome canyon carver.
The problem would be plating it.

Old September 18th, 2015, 09:03 AM   #17
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
The problem would be plating it.
Actually we looked into that, at least in the state of MI you have to get lights, horn, etc all working (steal the charging system and harness off a KLX?), then make an appointment to have it inspected to make sure it meets all the requirements to be street legal. My brother was looking at tagging his kx500 to make a trip out of taking trails from lake Huron to lake Michigan a couple years ago. It'd be an undertaking but not too bad.

Old September 21st, 2015, 05:30 PM   #18
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
plating custom 2smoke conversion bikes can be pretty easy, it really depends on the state you plan on plating it more than anything. Here in PA i could plate just about any bike with out much fuss, plating a homemade trailer or even a store bought trailer with out proper documentation on the other hand... forget it. lol

@kxpower? I would definitely go the sumo route with any 500cc 2t over throwing the engine in a sport bike frame. It is just so much easier and would be more rewarding fun wise. Those BB 2ts have a great hit with the stock short gearing which is what makes them so much fun doing what they do best and that is being hooligan machines. Put the motor in a much heavier frame it just wouldnt be quite the same and you would have to drop some different gears in the tranny to make it feel right in that kind of setup IMO Plus those motors alone even in not the best shape go for $1k+ all day long and most people think a whole bike is worth a small fortune when it is actually only worth the motor for the most part unless it is mint original. Parts can be tricky to find as well

Like someone else mentioned, a banshee motor is a much better option for a sport bike conversions. So much aftermarket stuff available for them and again like someone mentioned they are damn near identical to the rz350's of the mid 80's which means there are lots of parts available to make it comfortable on the street, gearing, tranny, ect... yet still has that 2t hit. Banshee motors can be had for around $1k give or take, even some built ones for a little more, they can be a little costly to build as you are buying double everything, pipes, carbs, reeds ect... ask me how i know

i am curious to what a 250 2t would feel like in a ninja?? they are great for dirtbikes, but the entire bike only weighs 210lbs add another 100 easy and i am not sure if it would still be the arm ripper they are in the dirtbike frame. + again the whole gearing thing, you would run through the gears really quick on any road. Even with a wr wide ratio tranny

Old September 22nd, 2015, 08:48 AM   #19
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
As a purest of the 250 ninja. I am so offended by this blasphemy. The ninja is like a vintage Car. They should be restored to factory condition.
I for shame. ��
your sarcasm is strong!

Sub'd for the build!

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2016, 06:04 PM   #20
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

So what ever happened to this? @JohnnyH

Old April 25th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #21
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
He has not been around since late September. I do hope he is still working on the project. I was hoping to see it.

Old May 23rd, 2016, 05:56 AM   #22
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Me as well!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #23
omnivore
ninjette.org member

Name: Scotty

Motorcycle(s): CBR Fireblade, KTM 950SM, YZF750 (x2), R6, ZZR250, XR200, KTM 50SX Sr.Pro, Honda Spree

I clicked this thread hoping to see someone try to stuff an RZ 350 motor into a Ninjette
KTM 950 SM,YZF 750 Street, CBR929 EnduranceBike,YZF 750 vintage racer, R6 racebike , SOAR #22
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2016, 04:25 AM   #24
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I poked around to see if that would work.
Basicly I found a couple things. First there are a very small number of real RZ or TZ engines around. The Banshee engine is the same but the internal gearing is very different.
The exhaust would a big deal to make and fit. At least a proper tune pipe system from a banshee would be.
The basic thing is to build a cradle to fit the engine and hold it in place in the ninja frame. Then fit the rest. It is another buy a 600 moment when you add it up. But the bark of the banshee is very cool.

Old June 13th, 2016, 02:46 PM   #25
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Thought I'd toss this in here -

Saw it this weekend at Road America. Appears to be a RD 350 engine in a YSR. A bit beat, but I heard it go by a couple of times and it sounded great! Hang on tight!

Old June 14th, 2016, 04:16 AM   #26
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
When I looked into building a race bike. I looked for a ZZR250 frame . I wanted to build a ninja 250 turbo and wanted the aluminum frame. The other day I spotted a Suzuki SV 650 with the tank off.
If you want to build somthing using a twin cylinder engine . I would suggest looking at that frame. Because it's a V twin it is narrow. But if you are tall like 6 foot. It will fit nice. Or if you want to mount a turbo charger with an intercooler or long expansion chambers like a 350 two stroke engine there is plenty of room. I can see a banshee engine with twin chambers under the seat. Vintage road race fairings working out very well.

Old June 14th, 2016, 06:37 PM   #27
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
I clicked this thread hoping to see someone try to stuff an RZ 350 motor into a Ninjette
Last year Roger Allen of Wicked motorsports atv in CA was supposed to start on an r3 rz350 hybrid haven't heard anything about it since. He has already done more than most with those engines.

Most people wouldn't waste their time putting an rz350 engine in an n250, people do far more interesting things to the stock rz frame for less work and $

Old June 14th, 2016, 07:21 PM   #28
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Last year Roger Allen of Wicked motorsports atv in CA was supposed to start on an r3 rz350 hybrid haven't heard anything about it since. He has already done more than most with those engines.

Most people wouldn't waste their time putting an rz350 engine in an n250, people do far more interesting things to the stock rz frame for less work and $
I thought it was extremely rare to get a rz350. I thought the best bet to get a "rz350" is a banshee motor, r6 frame, custom exhaust and intake, and there is a lot to stuff wide ratio gears into it.

Old June 15th, 2016, 05:04 AM   #29
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ Just gotta keep an eye out and also know where to look, they are around. If you live close to Canada you could probably get a nice Canadian one for a good price, they are not uncommon up North, some rz hoarders in them there parts as well lol