All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[American Motorcyclist Association] - AMA Member Tested: Rox Speed FX

Two-Inch Street/Cruiser Pivoting HandleBar Risers

MSRP: $93
www.roxspeedfx.com

By Tom Berry

These Rox Speed FX pivoting handlebar risers certainly look good, carved out of polished billet aluminum, and just like a beautifully machined triple clamp, they are right where everyone can admire them.

There is nothing new about handlebar risers. What makes the Rox Speed FX risers different is they are designed to pivot where they mount to the upper triple clamp, offering options in height and proximity to the rider.

For installation on most bikes, the procedure is uncomplicated. If there’s tension or resistance, you will likely need to create some cable and wiring slack, which may include cutting wire ties or rerouting cables. Also, depending on your bike and access to the bolts that secure your handlebar clamps, snugging and torqueing can be a challenge because of clamp-to-riser clearances. This can be a pain, but it’s not the fault of the riser, but rather a function of working in confined spaces. A variety of angled hex-key wrenches are useful here.

The reward is sitting on your bike and rotating the risers and your handlebars up and down/back and forth and finding the sweet spot. You adjust for height, as well as for reach.

On my Triumph Tiger 1050, with the risers and a Fly Racing Aero Tapered 1-1/8 inch bar (CR high-bend), I gained a half-inch rise and a half-inch closer reach. That translated to relaxed elbows and a less-hunched back compared to stock. I ended up with more comfort and an upgrade in “tricked-out” appearance.

Another bike I had excellent results with was a KLR650. Not only did it make for more comfortable riding while seated, when it was time to stand up on the pegs for dirt riding, I just loosened some bolts and rotated the bars up.

If I like a bike enough to keep it for a while, I feel I should customize it to fit me, rather than adapt to an uncomfortable ride. Along with aftermarket seats, levers, etc., the risers from Rox Speed FX are an excellent way to make your bike your own.

Tom Berry is an independent AMA Member Tester.

Click here for full story...