ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 18th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #1
mikedabike64
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

Question Is E 10% ok?

I saw on the news for the first time the gasoline that you put in your cars can be detrimental to small engines lawnmowers weed wacker, I think small engine manufacturers are starting a campaign look before you pump and that you cannot put anything greater than e10 in your small engines.
I am always skeptical as to the political reasons behind things like this.
IDK?
mikedabike64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
In a lot of areas, you don't have any choice - it's E10 in all grades. Currently they are trying to get E15 into production, which is just more bad news...

If you have the option to avoid E10 I would (and do). Ethanol does nothing good for gas. It contains and hold moisture, which promotes rust in a steel tank. It will also attack certain types of rubber and gaskets, mostly on older engines. Newer engines use ethanol-safe materials.

The problem with using E10 in small engines is the fact that it leans the mixture. Small 2-strokes have always had emissions issues, so they were tuned lean from the factory. Add E10 to that and you get a leaner mixture. Newer small engines are most likely tuned on E10, so that's not as big of an issue.

Ethanol in gas also contributes to how quickly it will "go bad".

Running E10 fuel in anything with a carb will make it run leaner - and most likely worse. It will also drop your mileage by 3-7% normally. Fuel Injection will compensate for it, but your mileage will still be lower than gas without it.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #3
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I haven't really kept abreast with this topic but it sounds like E15 is already here and slowly making its way into mass US fuel supply. I think the EPA has been trying to push a bill that would slow the introduction of E15 into the retail markets.

Old December 18th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #4
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

less gas more additives equals more profit.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #5
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
It's close to impossible to get ethanol-free gas here
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #6
stubshaft
Rode with the Dinosaurs..

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250

I use ethanol free gas here. It has an octane rating of 89 and runs $4.89@gal. I don't see any real advantage over the E=10 that I was using, but if nothing else, psychologically it works for me.
stubshaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
I use ethanol free gas here. It has an octane rating of 89 and runs $4.89@gal. I don't see any real advantage over the E=10 that I was using, but if nothing else, psychologically it works for me.
More power, better mileage, less chance of rust forming in the tank...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #8
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedabike64 View Post
...I saw on the news for the first time the gasoline that you put in your cars can be detrimental to small engines lawnmowers weed wacker, ...
I found out first hand that there is a bit of truth to this. After the first year of running my lawnmower and weed eater on E-10, they started to be come sluggish, start ups and idle were rough and overall performance was waning, even after seasonal tuning. I started using E-free and the performance returned to both. I try to use E-free as much as possible in all my power equipment and the Ninja 250. Most of the gas stations that sell E-free around here say they get a lot of their sales from landscapers. Go figure.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #9
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I go E-free as much as possible

Old December 30th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #10
Monstruo
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Been using E-20 for most of my bike's (FI) 16,000km odometer with no problems whatsoever, most other people here have been using it for longer and further without issues as well.
Monstruo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #11
mania
ninjette.org member

Name: mania

Motorcycle(s): 2013 250

I live in the same area as Monstruo & also use E10 what I use is called Gasohol 95 here
Which is E10 (10% ethanol mixed with 95 octane gas )
They also have Gasohol 91

As well as E20 & regular 95 octane straight gas
When comparing E10 91 & 95 I prefer 95.
When comparing E10/95 & regular gas 95 I see no performance difference.
I have never tried E20

I will say though that Shell sells a Gasohol 95 here called V-Power I do not know what snake oil they add to it But it is for some reason better. There is much less popping with an aftermarket pipe on deceleration & just a cleaner rpm feel to it.

Lastly I think it should be no worries as the Ninja is made in Thailand & the bike here comes with a 91 sticker stating E10/91 is fine
I think before on older bikes with certain rubber O rings & fuel lines suffered eventually from E blends but that has all been addressed on newer bikes
mania is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #12
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

@DaBlue1, my experience is the same like yours.
And before anybody's telling me I got a tank shooting an insect - yes I know about that when I tell you my point of view.
I own a Suzuki 125cc scooter and this is good for 91-E10, so after here in LoS they took away the 91 benzene (in America its 87 regular?) I'd go with 91 Gasohol, what's E10. My fuel usage went up from 2.2 ltr per 100km to 2.6 per 100km.
Now since they sell real 95 benzene here again (in USA 91 Superior?) I made a test to use this in my Suzuki and my usage went down again to 2.2 ltr per 100km.
But it was not only this, with the 95 benzene the engine is running much smoother and my speed is also much higher than with the E10-grap. To use 95 in a 91 ready engine is the point with the insect...
The only negative, it's more expensive and that's one reason what counts for many people here to use E10 instead of benzene.
With my Ninja I use the benzene also and what I can say with E10 the setup of my fuel mapping must be much more rich then with benzene.
The staff from the Kwaki-Centers here highly recommends to use real benzene and never E10.
When you have the chance to talk to an real engineer from engine development when he MUST NOT speak in a political correct way he will tell you the real truth about real benzene and E10, also about the waste of money with Shell V-Power (but the Shell-story you can read in german tests from the ADAC, TUV and others already).

Happy new year to you all
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 31st, 2013, 07:25 AM   #13
mikedabike64
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

ok thanks much for the information

Happy new year to the best website ever, now that I hear what you guys are running I'm not too concerned.
mikedabike64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2013, 08:55 AM   #14
Roca
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ex250f

I get real gas right around the corner from my house. Right now I think it is 3.07 gallon.
Roca is offline   Reply With Quote