ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 4th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #1
MustangGuy
ninjette.org member

Name: Roy

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650

exhaust sound

Based on my experience with car forums, very few other topics elicit more opinions than that of exhaust sound. I have yet to hear what a new-gen sounds like at idle. I am curious to know how the new-gen sounds compared to a pre-gen (like mine). When I was looking for a new system for my Mustang, I listened to lots of sound clips but to my ears they didn't really sound like they do in real life. Luckily, I knew a few people with different setups on their cars and that helped me pick out what I wanted. My pre-gen ninjette (stock mufflers) sounds good (but not loud... that's ok) when the rpms are up but kind of "putt-putt" at idle.... maybe it's me, but it makes me think "scooter!" Do the new-gens sound any better at idle?
MustangGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
No. Same same sounds, but the exhaust on the new gens is actually more muffled than the OEM cans on the pre-gen. My buddy's new-gen is quieter than my bike was when I had the OEM cans on it.

The "putt-putt"ing is because the bike is a 180 degree parallel twin engine. No matter what exhaust system you have on the bike, you're still going to get that basic pattern because of the firing pattern of the engine. Although, with an exhaust system, you do get a significantly lower pitched "brum-brum" instead of a "putt-putt"
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #3
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
The "putt-putt"ing is because the bike is a 180 degree parallel twin engine. No matter what exhaust system you have on the bike, you're still going to get that basic pattern because of the firing pattern of the engine.
Absolutely correct. If only everyone understood this fact.

Cylinder #1 fires, then cylinder #2 fires 180 degrees later, then nothing happens for the remaining 540 degrees of the four-stroke (720 degree total) engine rotation. Thus the "putt-putt" sound that no exhaust system can change.

That's the problem with building a parallel twin engine: the best, most mechanically efficient, lowest weight, highest revving, fastest-revving configuration is also the worst sounding one. This is definitely a case of life being a bitch.

Quote:
Based on my experience with car forums, very few other topics elicit more opinions than that of exhaust sound.
Other manufacturers of parallel twin engines have taken what I would call drastic measures against the "putt-putt". Avoiding the "putt-putt" means not using a flat-plane (180 degree) crankshaft.

For example, Triumph motorcycles has chosen to use a 360 degree crankshaft in some of their twins and a 270 degree crankshaft in the rest of their twins. Both of these configurations take a real hit in mechanical efficiency (performance) but they deliver better sound.

Just imagine a 360 degree crankshaft in a parallel twin. It's a hideous thing. Both of the pistons go up and down together, with one piston firing each time they reach the top. Makes a great sound, but you have huge rotating mass and reciprocating mass issues. You end up having to build a really beefy crankshaft that has giant counterweights on it. And this means you can't have a high-revving, free-revving engine.

Oddly enough, the flat-plane type of crankshaft delivers the best sound in almost any other cylinder count you can think of. All inline four engines are flat-plane, Ferrari V-8 engines are flat-plane, all the great old Kawasaki 2-stroke triples and the Triumph triples are flat-plane.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #4
MustangGuy
ninjette.org member

Actually, I do understand... and it's definitely true that different engine configurations produce different exhaust sounds. Thanks for the responses!

Old January 4th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #5
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGuy View Post
Actually, I do understand... and it's definitely true that different engine configurations produce different exhaust sounds. Thanks for the responses!
Sorry if you thought we were implying that you didn't understand. No offense was intended.

It's just that your post happened to walk right into the middle of an issue we have to deal with regularly here on the forum. You wouldn't believe the number of people who don't get the fact that it's the engine that "plays the tune" not the exhaust.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2012, 07:57 AM   #6
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

I didnt know thats why they made that noise... lol

Never really bugged me though
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #7
MustangGuy
ninjette.org member

LOL - no, it didn't even cross my mind to be offended! I've been on different forums where I've seen people go ballistic over the littlest things, though. I used to be on a V-6 Mustang forum (now I have a V-8 ) and the newbies where always looking for some magical combination of exhaust components and mufflers to get their 6's sounding like the gold standard OHV 5.0's. Of course, not possible because of the physical differences in the engines. The only thing you can do is find a setup that gives the best sound for YOUR engine. BTW, I don't really mind the ninj's idle note... the sound of the little engine at high revs makes up for it!

Old January 5th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #8
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

I had a car with a V6 once... of course it had two things attached to each manifold

I spanked V8's with it
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote