Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Notices

Old August 16th, 2020, 07:09 AM   #1
Badapplesrepair
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Post Greetings from Florida

Just got a 2009 ninja 250 a couple of months ago. I have mechanical knowledge as I did a 4year A&P course in high school. I never went to work in aviation but have rebuilt multiple car engines over the past 15 years, I also work with electronics so I feel like i am more than capable of rebuilding this bike. So this bike was purchased in running condition by my brother about 2 years ago, however it was full of ugly stickers ran like crap and had random bits and pieces missing from all over the place. It barely turned on but it ran pretty good considering conditions, fairings kept flying off while driving so bike had about half the fairings missing the rest where all in pretty rough shape. so bike was stolen and ditched a few blocks away probably after thieves realized they stole a pile of junk. It was found two days later a new ignition was purchased but bike never turned back on. I got the bike from him for about $500 and started reading around. This site truly has a ton of invaluable information which I am using in my journey to rebuilding, I have taken the bike apart and short of disassembling the entire engine I知 replacing all exterior seals (has huge oil leak) checking condition of parts and doing a few things here and there to make the bike sportier, I understand the limitations of the bike so I am not here expecting to make this into a super sport but if i can improve on some of its weaknesses why not if the bike is apart anyways right? Anyways I値l attach a picture of this mess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0C4397A9-F25B-4C1D-9E87-1FE458BBEAD3.jpg (143.3 KB, 1 views)
Badapplesrepair is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2020, 07:31 AM   #2
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Badapplesrepair! Glad to have you aboard...

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2020, 09:57 AM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi Carlos and welcome to Ninjette!

Don’t forget about 100-ohm resistor in ignition-switch. Not present in aftermaket ignitions and prevents bike from starting.

Also send carbs to ducatiman and bike will run like brand-new! Do search for “clean carbs ducatiman” for photos of what’s involved in restoring carbs to factory-fresh condition.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; August 20th, 2020 at 11:18 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2020, 05:20 PM   #4
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
ty for kind words @DannoXYZ

wanted to offer suggestion to badapple...prioritize...to get engine running tiptop first and foremost before spending time/effort on further mods.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2020, 05:31 PM   #5
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): 250

Welcome

Old August 18th, 2020, 06:07 PM   #6
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome

Old August 19th, 2020, 05:25 PM   #7
Badapplesrepair
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks everyone, @DannoXYZ thanks for the tip, I didn稚 know about that. I figured I would tackle electronics when I was done with the mechanical side of things. I see allot of badly spliced wires and corroded connectors. I see grounds that are barely attached and other things. My plan was to go through every circuit one by one checking and replacing all connectors And testing and cleaning sensors and such. My job consists of diagnosing and repairing failing, failed and catastrophically damaged complex electrical circuits. Even with all my experience I知 sure you saved me a head scratcher and needless time diagnosing a circuit I知 not too familiar with. I bought this because I enjoy fixing things, I love engines and tearing things apart, I had the carburetor completely in pieces the week after I bought it. I sit on my balcony smoke cigars and work on the bike, I知 already getting a ton of joy from this bike and I haven稚 gotten to ride it yet. That being said @ducatiman, I see your name allot. I have allot of respect for your work I知 sure you have mad skills, if I get overwhelmed I know you are the guy to turn to. it痴 been my plan from the start to get the bike running then I知 going to jet the carbs, I値l pull them a few times until I get everything running right. I知 replacing the cracked rusting muffler with one of those knockoffs for 50 on eBay. If the muffler is really that bad I値l look into something more expensive. I致e already budgeted enough on the bike, its going to be almost 1500 in total. I知 not trying to go too far Over that. I知 also removing the damaged airbox And replacing with some pod filters. I figure I値l have to pull the carbs several times in order to get it all running right but I知 prepared to do that. I知 draining and cleaning the tank and petcock. I知 replacing all fuel hoses, silicone hose kit for cooling system, new radiator, new chain and sprockets, new carb and throttle cables, new grips and assemblies for throttle and such, new disks and pads, steel braided brake lines, and a couple of other mostly cosmetic items like fairings. With the amount of information on this site alone I知 confident I can tackle this whole project.

Old August 19th, 2020, 05:33 PM   #8
Badapplesrepair
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, @DannoXYZ thanks for the tip, I didn稚 know about that. I figured I would tackle electronics when I was done with the mechanical side of things. I see allot of badly spliced wires and corroded connectors. I see grounds that are barely attached and other things. My plan was to go through every circuit one by one checking and replacing all connectors And testing and cleaning sensors and such. My job consists of diagnosing and repairing failing, failed and catastrophically damaged complex electrical circuits. Even with all my experience I知 sure you saved me a head scratcher and needless time diagnosing a circuit I知 not too familiar with. I bought this because I enjoy fixing things, I love engines and tearing things apart, I had the carburetor completely in pieces the week after I bought it. I sit on my balcony smoke cigars and work on the bike, I知 already getting a ton of joy from this bike and I haven稚 gotten to ride it yet. That being said @ducatiman, I see your name allot. I have allot of respect for your work I知 sure you have mad skills, if I get overwhelmed I know you are the guy to turn to. it痴 been my plan from the start to get the bike running then I知 going to jet the carbs, I値l pull them a few times until I get everything running right. I知 replacing the cracked rusting muffler with one of those knockoffs for 50 on eBay. If the muffler is really that bad I値l look into something more expensive. I致e already budgeted enough on the bike, its going to be almost 1500 in total. I知 not trying to go too far Over that. I知 also removing the damaged airbox And replacing with some pod filters. I figure I値l have to pull the carbs several times in order to get it all running right but I知 prepared to do that. I知 draining and cleaning the tank and petcock. I知 replacing all fuel hoses, silicone hose kit for cooling system, new radiator, new chain and sprockets, new carb and throttle cables, new grips and assemblies for throttle and such, new disks and pads, steel braided brake lines, and a couple of other mostly cosmetic items like fairings. With the amount of information on this site alone I知 confident I can tackle this whole project.

Old August 20th, 2020, 10:22 AM   #9
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Welcome!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2020, 10:48 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2020, 01:54 PM   #11
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Here's good supplier for electrical connectors. I think they have replacements for everything on bike. https://www.corsa-technic.com/

I wouldn't use silicone hose for coolant though. Coolant will "steam" itself through and you'll loose half your coolant within a week! It's really only good for intake-plumbing.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2020, 08:42 AM   #12
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I’m a little late but ....hello and welcome !
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote