ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 5th, 2015, 06:49 PM   #1
Jphaxx
ninjette.org newbie

Name: jeremy

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2004

Gas Cap Vent Issue?!

Hey all I recently bought a 2004 EX250F with very very low miles. So needless to say it's been sitting forever. This thing has been a nightmare for me to try to get to a reliable condition.

Here's what I've done:
- Complete carb clean and rebuild (I've done the cleaning several times and the float valves kept flooding while I was riding due to failure)
- Idle Mixture screws set to 2.5 turns out
- Valve Adjustment to max dimension (0.005" on intake and 0.006" on the exhaust)
- New petcock as the previous one just had a slow drip regardless of vacuum or not
- New Air Filter
- Carbs Synced
- Cali EVAP removed. On the back of the tank I have 3 spaces where hoses used to connect. Left (red) was capped), middle has a hose that is routed to the hose cluster. Right (blue) is from what I understand a breather line and I also routed that to the hose cluster.

Today I was riding and it started sputtering going around 70 mph and would not respond appropriately to throttle. I backed off the rpms and noticed that gas was at a lower level than normal in my fuel filter. I figured that it is being starved of fuel. I got to the restaurant and parked it. After my meal I made it about 14 miles and it started sputtering really bad and I pulled over as it shut off. I noticed there was no fuel in the fuel filter so I pulled off the vacuum line and applied some until the filter filled back up about half way. I made it another mile and it died again. This time, I whipped out my phone to research a bit and I saw somewhere that I could try riding with the gas tank open as it could be a good indicator for the problem. I fired it up and made it another 3 miles back home. Upon arrival, I shut it down and opened the gas tank to a big "whoosh" sound. At home, I removed the petcock, thinking it might be clogged or something. Nope still looks brand new, I turned it to on and reserve and applied vacuum and whatever gas was in there came right out in one solid healthy looking stream. I pulled the vacuum line from the petcock and placed a piece of paper near the opening and started the bike. THere was definitely a strong vacuum present. This all makes me think it has something to do with the tank not being vented properly and thus, even with a strong vacuum present is not allowing fuel to flow to the carbs. I took off the gas cap to look for a smoking gun but didn't see anything crazy. If it is something with the gas cap, what could it be? What am I missing? How do I get this thing to run properly? Thank you
Jphaxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2015, 08:12 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jphaxx View Post
.......... If it is something with the gas cap, what could it be? What am I missing? How do I get this thing to run properly? Thank you
Welcome, Jeremy !!!

These are the guts of your gas cap:
http://forums.ninja250.org/posting.p...&t=81112&tro=1

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...alninja#790190
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #3
Jphaxx
ninjette.org newbie

I took that cap apart and sprayed some carb cleaner in there the vent put it back on the bike and it's still having the same issue

Old July 5th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
You need you to disassemble the gas cap and remove the two small red diaphragms, assuming this is your only problem.

The diaphragm gets hard and losses it's flexibility and gets stuck, and doesn't allow proper venting.

IMHO this modification should be done regardless to prevent future problems whatsoever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gascap3.jpg (37.3 KB, 1052 views)
File Type: jpg gascap2.jpg (42.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg gascap1.jpg (47.8 KB, 43 views)

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 5th, 2015, 08:32 PM   #5
Jphaxx
ninjette.org newbie

How so you get the 2 check valves out?

Old July 5th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

You need to remove the gas cap from the lid, then with a pair of needle noses pliers remove the plastic piece that holds the diaphragms as shown in the pictures.

If you need some more pictures let me know.

I would recommend removing the whole cap assembly from the tank to avoid dropping anything into the tank.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 5th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #7
Jphaxx
ninjette.org newbie

@Ghostt how do you get the black plastic plate off to reveal the vent paths? I don't have mine in front of me yet. Also you mentioned something regarding a modification. What modification is that? I must've missed it

Old July 5th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #8
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
@Ghostt how do you get the black plastic plate off to reveal the vent paths? I don't have mine in front of me yet. Also you mentioned something regarding a modification. What modification is that? I must've missed it
Okay so I'm guessing you need need some pictures then?

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 5th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #9
Jphaxx
ninjette.org newbie

@Ghostt lol. Yea I must. The thing just seems so delicate I don't want to damage anything.

Old July 5th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #10
Jphaxx
ninjette.org newbie

Oh I see what you're saying. Remove both of the check valves. But they're a one way valve, what are they sealing out?

Old July 5th, 2015, 10:05 PM   #11
Ghostt
in your machine

They are ment to vent the tank, but in the case of an accident not allow gas to leak out, but more often cause problems then they fix.

Here are some pictures to help you.

The plastic piece houses the two small red diaphragm pieces, this one being mine, they are already gone, and you can leave the plastic piece out all together, as I'm going to do now.

Some things to watch out for are, there are 5 small springs under the round collar, and a small round collar as well on the locking mechanism, don't lose any of them.

Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6168251608998059202.jpg (91.5 KB, 1039 views)
File Type: jpg 6168251542546782466.jpg (77.4 KB, 1029 views)
File Type: jpg 6168251509165010434.jpg (75.2 KB, 1031 views)
File Type: jpg 6168251416744547874.jpg (51.3 KB, 1035 views)
File Type: jpg 6168251385849082850.jpg (57.9 KB, 1041 views)
File Type: jpg 6168251214870138146.jpg (49.5 KB, 1032 views)
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (53.7 KB, 1029 views)

ZX-2R BLOG

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 5th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #12
Ghostt
in your machine

They are ment to vent the tank, but in the case of an accident not allow gas to leak out, but more often cause problems then they fix.

Here are some pictures to help you.

The plastic piece houses the two small red diaphragm pieces, this one being mine, they are already gone, and you can leave the plastic piece out all together, as I'm going to do now.

Some things to watch out for are, there are 5 small springs under the round collar, and a small round collar as well on the locking mechanism, don't lose any of them.

Good luck.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 5th, 2015, 10:56 PM   #13
Jphaxx
ninjette.org newbie

thanks ghostt. I just removed them and reinstalled the cap. Unfortunately, I've run out of time tonight so I can't test ride it till tomorrow

Old July 5th, 2015, 10:59 PM   #14
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
thanks ghostt. I just removed them and reinstalled the cap. Unfortunately, I've run out of time tonight so I can't test ride it till tomorrow
If it wasn't the issue now, at least it will never be in the future.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 5th, 2015, 11:10 PM   #15
Ghostt
in your machine

Something else to check is the drain line off the back off the tank itself, if you have access to an air compressor, blow air into the line coming off the back off the tank, to make sure it's not blocked, make sure you have the cap open, and you have something blocked the opening to make sure nothing falls into the tank, just in case.

If the tank drain becomes clogged it also leads to water in the tank issues as well, so make sure the drain stay clear, especially if you keep the bike outside a lot .

How do I know all this? Yup, I've had this happened to me with my EX500 which uses the same tank/gas cap setup.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 6th, 2015, 10:34 AM   #16
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

California gas cap system is a little different. On those, the cap vents through a rubber sealing grommet to one of the steel tubes that runs down through the inside of the tank and out the back under the seat. That tube used to be connected to the EVAP system, now that the EVAP is gone that tube needs to be connected to a rubber hose that runs down to the bottom of the bike and hangs free. That way if fuel winds up making it through the checkvalves in the bike, say from thermal expansion after filling the tank, the fuel will spill harmlessly onto the pavement instead of running out over the battery and other places under the seat. Make sure that the metal tube that runs from the filler cap recess drain is connected to a hose that also dumps out under the bike. The third tube at the back of the tank dumps out at the top inside of the tank, that was the liquid fuel return from the EVAP unit. The fuel that the EVAP unit used to catch and return is now dumping out under the bike.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2015, 04:23 PM   #17
Jphaxx
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks so much you guys! I think it's running properly now. I rode it around for about 10 miles and the fuel level in the filter seems to be good, if not full. I think it finally is good to go. Now I'm thinking about selling it lol

Old July 8th, 2015, 09:12 AM   #18
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

I'm curious does anyone make a vented keyless gas cap that would fit the pregen?
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #19
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentbad View Post
I'm curious does anyone make a vented keyless gas cap that would fit the pregen?
I have tried to look into this, but unfortunately I have no solid proof, just half ass promises from eBay sellers, and I'm not comfortable with those.

One of the "best" answers was "you can drill a very small hole in the cap"

WTF???!!!! LOL

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 8th, 2015, 10:40 AM   #20
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
We bought this one http://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-Bille...MWKT63JDPFTYHZ for our 1st gen project. $35.

Seems to be working fine.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2015, 03:26 PM   #21
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
We bought this one http://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-Bille...MWKT63JDPFTYHZ for our 1st gen project. $35.

Seems to be working fine.
I do like the second question,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-07-08-17-25-05.jpg (48.7 KB, 22 views)

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 9th, 2015, 06:29 AM   #22
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
I do like the second question,
We haven't added a vent, and my son has been riding it quite a bit without issue.

I'll ask him to open it after riding for a while and see if he gets any air rushing in, but I would think any lack of venting would have shown up by now.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2015, 01:07 PM   #23
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
We haven't added a vent, and my son has been riding it quite a bit without issue.

I'll ask him to open it after riding for a while and see if he gets any air rushing in, but I would think any lack of venting would have shown up by now.
As the famous saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 10th, 2015, 03:18 PM   #24
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
To make it keyless just remove the wafers and springs from the lock cylinder. You can either then use any key to turn it, or leave any old key in it as a turning handle.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2021, 01:45 PM   #25
bigBug
ninjette.org member

Name: rossi

Having Same issue

Did it fix the problem?

I painted my tank and now Im having fuel starvation issues. I may have blocked all vents how should I open them back up?
bigBug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2021, 01:58 PM   #26
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigBug View Post
Did it fix the problem?

I painted my tank and now Im having fuel starvation issues. I may have blocked all vents how should I open them back up?
Are you having issues?

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 12th, 2021, 08:52 PM   #27
bigBug
ninjette.org member

Name: rossi

My bike is I think starving fuel around 6.5k rpm, it stutters and seems like it will die. But when I throttle more or roll off the throttle it comes back. I was reading the thread in the morning and got to test the bike with fuel cap open and it made no difference.

Does that mean I have ruled out my gas tank problem?

The problem is still there but opening the gas didn't change anything.

I do think there is a lot to address so I'll make a separate post.
bigBug is offline   Reply With Quote