ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old July 29th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #1
pinkard129
ninjette.org member

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 04' ninja matte black and naked

bruiser!

Welp, after riding off and on for about 10yrs, i laid mine down going to work a couple of weeks ago! I've had this particular bike for a lil over 5 yrs and its the only time its been down...smh!

I was on a particular curvy back road heading to work, 48 miles one way, and I've been known to ride hard especially in the twisties. Anyway, it was 0630 and great weather. I was half way to work fixin to enter a very sharp curvy part of the road headin up the mountain. I was setting myself up for the first curve, a progressive tight left, i gear down to forth as i top the bunny hill, what do i see.....a gravel wash out from a drive way that is 10ft long and is across both lanes. I've already geared down so i come completely out of the throttle and ride through it hopeing for the best, my tires slide, i get wobbly, as soon as i'm out of the gravel i get back into the trottle trying to regain control. Well I do regain control, but i'm in the beginning of the apex, so i hit the throttle harder and lean in as hard as i can. My front tire hits the white stripe on the shoulder of the road, thats all she wrote! Before i know it i'm face planting the ground, praying that i don't swallow my snuff, i landed about 30ft from where the bike did. The bike wound up against so trees in a yellow jacket's nest, while i land i an ant bed.
Fortunatly, I was okay just tweeked my lower bike a bit. The bike, well it got the worse of it. torxed fork, bent bar, curly Q'ed the shifter lever, broke the speedo, broke the choke, dented the right muffler, and bashed the tank.
It was a naked bike so repairs are minamal at least. Liability only, no property damage, no medical issues, so no police report. My wife came got my in the truck, loaded the bike and went to work. My only question looking back on it would be....would the property owner or the county be responsible for the washed out driveway?
pinkard129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #2
pinkard129
ninjette.org member

Does anyone have any sugestions as to how i could have handled this situation better? And also this bike is for sale as is all the extra factory parts i still have. the price is low as i have no title. the frame as been modified on the tail section, just fyi

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:07 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Sorry to read this , Michael.

It seems that you didn't get hurt.

Yes, I see at least some irresponsibility from the owner and the road maintenance people.
I believe that it is a common occurrence with so many hills that you have there.

Maybe staying on the gas would have saved the front tire from sliding.

Any close encounter with a deer in that area?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
At 6:30 heading to work, I'm guessing the road was cold. That's not helping you out at all with grip

Also, it appears you were riding a bit too aggressively for the street. Little surprises like gravel do have a tendency to make good riders go down. Coming hot over a crest into a blind turn entrance is a bad idea. Slow in and fast out is a good idea for twisties. Get to entry speed early and give yourself a chance to deal with surprises like this instead of being completely thrown off and being pushed to your limits.

Ride like a nut on the track, keep it sane on the streets. Im not saying ride like a granny, just be smart about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:20 AM   #5
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
You out rode the line of vision. Is sucks to slow down through a nice twisty bit . But that is what makes the street different from a track. Could have been a sleepy coffie drinking cager coming out of the drive way .

Glad you are OK . Live and learn.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #6
pinkard129
ninjette.org member

I agree, i was prooly riding too hard, just the false sense of security of riding this same road everyday and knowing every knuk and kranny. I kne that particular spot is common for gravel but i have never seen it that bad, i"m assuming a possible flash flood had hit the day before. I hadnt given the cold road any thought as it was mid 70's and i was bout 25 miles into the ride, but that could have played a role as well.

And DEER......OH YEAH esp right after hunting season is out! its not just the deer either, the turkey is pretty bad too

Old July 31st, 2012, 04:27 AM   #7
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Wild turkeys and motorcycles are like bowling balls and pins!!! just stick a leg out and hold it there
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote