ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 12th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #1
speedgsx98
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja 2002, 2008 ZX10-R

just mounted Pirelli MT-75's

And like I thought, I am finally able to get the rear tire off the ground under hard braking on the right pavement. A feat unattainable with the OEM tires that were 8 years old, even though there was plenty of tread remaining. I never pushed the old tires. Never wanted to try. After mounting these today, I got out on the road and began to lean the bike over in the turns and actually accelerate a bit with the bike leaned over. I think this will be fun.

I'm too cheap, so I changed them myself with flathead screwdrivers using cut up pieces of plastic milk jug to protect the rims. I live in a condo, so there was a lot of up and down the stairs, and I had to take them to the gas station to seat the beads. But, I got it done in a couple hours time. If I had a garage it would've taken half the time. Oh, and balancing on jackstands using the axles sux. They prob aren't well balanced, but whatever. I rarely take this thing over 85 anyway.

A note about these tires...

Just the other day I changed from the stock 14t frt sprocket to a 15t.

That changed my RPM's from 8900 @75mph to 8175. Now with the smaller Pirelli rear mounted, the RPM is now 8550 @ 75mph. So, gained back half the RPM I had lost with the gear change. If I keep the bike long enough, I'll change the rear sprocket to one tooth smaller when the time comes.

Also, the Pirelli looks NOTICEABLY skinnier on the rear. But, as long as it grips, who cares?

That's it!
speedgsx98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Congadulations on the new tires.
I just changed over from OEM to Pirelli Sport Demons and noticed improvement in handling as well. I haven't tried to lift the rear tire though and probably won't. I'm too old for that.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #3
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Congadulations on the new tires.
I just changed over from OEM to Pirelli Sport Demons and noticed improvement in handling as well. I haven't tried to lift the rear tire though and probably won't. I'm too old for that.
Same here. Swapped them, but haven't been on the bike yet. Found out my chain (clip style) was missing the clip. So I had to order another chain (Rivet style). Waiting for that to come in. So th earliest I can ride would be Thursday evening, maybe Friday.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2009, 03:35 PM   #4
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

got it mounted today im spining 9000 @75 , i like the tire so far and i plan on getting the 15 tooth front to knock it down a bit

Last futzed with by nate-bama; June 8th, 2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: i ordered a mt75 rear last week cant wait to try it out
nate-bama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #5
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

mt75

my rears been on a few weeks now and my stock front scares me so i ordered a mt front last night. grip is great on the rear , wind can cause the rear to feel loose at high speed but no biggie

Old June 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I've been on my PSD's for a while now, WOW. Dunlop's are pieces of, well, you know... lol

I love the sport demons. I think I have found a favorite tyre. I'm ready for a track day now!

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #7
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

mounted my mt 75 front

now that the bike has no dunrocks it feels great. my rear mt has been on a few weeks and when cornering hard i could feel the fronts lack of grip ive only put 50 or so miles on it so far but wow big diff..oh and i dont think theres a much cheaper tire that can be used