ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 25th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #1
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Is a JIS screwdriver a necessity?

I'm planning on shimming my carb needles this week but don't have a JIS screwdriver. I've heard some horror stories of people stripping out their screws with the standard phillips and would rather not deal with that nonsense.

I could run to Sears tonight and get a 12" phillips, or order a 12" JIS on amazon and wait a week. I'm not in a real rush to get this done but it would be nice if I could get by without spending $17 on a screwdriver. What do you think?
slickt0mmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #2
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickt0mmy View Post
I'm planning on shimming my carb needles this week but don't have a JIS screwdriver. I've heard some horror stories of people stripping out their screws with the standard phillips and would rather not deal with that nonsense.

I could run to Sears tonight and get a 12" phillips, or order a 12" JIS on amazon and wait a week. I'm not in a real rush to get this done but it would be nice if I could get by without spending $17 on a screwdriver. What do you think?
Its real... very real.

I've had good luck using an impact driver to remove the screws.

Also, are you going to replace them with allen head bolts?
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #3
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
Also, are you going to replace them with allen head bolts?
I wasn't planning to, provided I don't strip the original screws too badly. I was hoping a JIS could help me get them out without taking the carbs off the bike.

Old June 25th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Do yourself a favor and replace OEM JIS screws with allen/hex. Makes life so easy.

Use allen wrench to lightly torque them down or loosen them up, then use a hex bit in an off set screw driver to just twist them the rest of the way out, or in until they get snug.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #5
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Looks like I'm going to have to replace them whether I want to or not

I just worked on it a little and discovered that two of the screws are already stripped out. Apparently a previous owner had a failed attempt at shimming already. I used a mixture of screwdrivers and vice grips to get the others loose. The only one I couldn't get was the one right behind the throttle linkage area. That one will take some more doing than I have time for tonight.

Old June 25th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickt0mmy View Post
.........That one will take some more doing than I have time for tonight.
http://www.instructables.com/id/When...rial-Standard/
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #7
voidrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

After stripping out some screws early on, I realized something was not right. Research came up with the JIS style screw drivers.

I ended up ordering a 4 piece Hozan set through Amazon - the ones I got was a 2nd generation, which was the newest at the time. My only complaint is that the handles are a bit odd, and sometimes it feels difficult to really apply the torque to loosen a really right screw...but it looks like the 3rd gen handles are different.

OMG yes, they DO make a difference. I have about 4-5 guys now who occasionally ask if I could bring my "special screwdrivers" over for a bike work session. Bribes of soda, beer, and other spirits have been offered to make it worth my time.

I have read on a couple other forums that a couple brands of replaceable sheet rock screwdriver tips work WONDERFULLY, and "may" actually be copies of the JIS style tip. I don't know, I haven't mic'd and compared them myself.
voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #8
soggybottom
Aimless

Name: rory

Motorcycle(s): 01 ninja 250

I've worked on a lot of Japanese bikes over the years. Some as old as the 70's. I have never used JIS screwdrivers and have never had a problem.