ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #1
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

250R Air Filter Cleaner???

I read the owners manual about cleaning the Air Filter element, but i know using gasoline or such is a No-No. Is Soaking it, using a 30W Oil really necessary after cleaning it?

What about using this?

http://www.magicracing.com/Maxima-Ai...oz_p_8465.html

Would this be worth the price, or No?

Im also thinking of buying and trying this stuff out!

http://www.magicracing.com/Maxima-Cl...oz_p_8463.html

Im curious to know if anyone out there has Used either of these products! What kinda results did you get?

Im gonna Ride up to Magic racing later today or Wed, as they have the Best Price for http://www.magicracing.com/Maxima-Ch...z41_p_504.html

also while im there im gonna pick up a Cable Lube Tool!

Ok ill check back here in 1 hour for your guys' 2 cents!

Im gonna pop out the Air filter element and have a look.

(i never looked at mine yet, just flipped 6,610 miles today after work)
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #2
kkim

Foam filter should be cleaned and then reoiled. It's the oil that traps the dust in the air that is being sucked through the filter.

I use gasoline to clean my foam filters, but only recommend it if you are fully aware of the dangers of doing so. Otherwise, use a low flash point solvent.

After I clean with the gas, I wash the filter using a strong detergent (simple green, full strength) and warm water to get all of the dirt out.

Air dry completely overnight, then oil the filter by putting in a plastic baggie and adding oil. Squish it around remove from bag and use a dry rag to get out as much of the oil from the filter. The idea is to coat the foam cells as lightly as possible, throughout the filter.

Reinstall and ride away happy.

The process takes a couple of days, so plan for it or have another preoiled filter handy so you can just switch it out.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #3
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Foam filter should be cleaned and then reoiled. It's the oil that traps the dust in the air that is being sucked through the filter.

I use gasoline to clean my foam filters, but only recommend it if you are fully aware of the dangers of doing so. Otherwise, use a low flash point solvent.

My car dont need taht done to its air filter.
Years ago i had a Monte Carlo SS, and i bought a K&N air filter for it. I had to clean then oil it.

Yea, i figured thats the reason for the oil, to trap fine dust/dirt, but wasnt sure if that was really neccessary for our 250s!

Gasoline, hmmm what about Diesel Fuel instead, to clean the element? I got that in hand atm... lol
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #4
kkim

use anything that will cut/dissolve the greasy oil/dust mixture. just be sure to wash it with warm soapy water later to insure the foam filter is clean.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #5
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
My car dont need taht done to its air filter.
Years ago i had a Monte Carlo SS, and i bought a K&N air filter for it. I had to clean then oil it.

Yea, i figured thats the reason for the oil, to trap fine dust/dirt, but wasnt sure if that was really neccessary for our 250s!

Gasoline, hmmm what about Diesel Fuel instead, to clean the element? I got that in hand atm... lol
3 different types of air filters in your post
1 - regular car (and some bikes) paper filter which you throw away and replace
2 - foam filter as on 250 which you wash and oil
3 - k&n which is like a guaze material and has its own chemical to put on it
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote