ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old October 19th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #1
Zyconic17
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Track bike, Honda CRF250r Dirt bike

Tire Warmers For 250s?

So i was looking into buying some tire warmers for my track bike and i couldn't find any warmers from well known brand names (chicken Hawk, Woodcraft, etc) that would fit my 140 rear and 110 front tires. I don't want to pay $400+ on a decent set of warmers that are too big and end up burning them up. Any suggestions? What kind of warmers do you use on your trackbikes? Will they actually burn up or am i just paranoid? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Zyconic17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #2
SPG
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninjette

Chicken Hawk makes a set specially for the Ninja 250. They are sized for the 110/140 and work great. You will need to call and ask for them specifically, but I have a pair so I know they exist.
SPG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

Paranoid. I use my Chicken Hawk Pole Position warmers on my 250. 110/140 tires. I've never had any problems with them burning up.

Old October 19th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #4
Zyconic17
ninjette.org member

Alright cool. I will look into the specific 250r warmers... if they turn out to be too expensive i will try regular ones. Thanks for all the help

Old October 19th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #5
KazMan
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyconic17 View Post
Alright cool. I will look into the specific 250r warmers... if they turn out to be too expensive i will try regular ones. Thanks for all the help
Try contacting Brian Bartlow at Feel Like a Pro. We used tire warmers for the first part of the year when we were at Sears Point. I believe he had a pretty smoking deal if my old memory serves correct
KazMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2011, 07:10 AM   #6
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

TBH i've never had a problem warming up the tires to full temp in one lap, and even without warmers race tires will last half a season before starting to degrade a whole lot. Might save you a good chunk of change if you don't really need them.

Of course it helps that the air temp is usually 90+ degrees and the track is closer to 110 where we race...
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #7
Jiggyfly
ninjette.org member

Name: Shon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki ninja 250

Biketek

541-687-6400
A biketek distributor
Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:43 PM   #8
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Biketek is the best deal mjmotogear makes some too which is used by myself and feellikeapro

Old October 24th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #9
S.P.Rocket
Racer Girl

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250 racebike, yz250f supermoto, crf150r supermoto, ktm 200 xcw, daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazMan View Post
Try contacting Brian Bartlow at Feel Like a Pro. We used tire warmers for the first part of the year when we were at Sears Point. I believe he had a pretty smoking deal if my old memory serves correct
+1

I use them on my Supermoto bike as well. I can go out and ride hard instead of spending a lap skating around waiting for tires to warm up.

Don't really need them in hot weather.
S.P.Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #10
Zyconic17
ninjette.org member

Thanks everyone for all the help. I ended up buying a set of the biketek 250gp warmers and they were a lot cheaper than any other warmers i had seen. Ive never used warmers before so im eager to find out if there is a really noticable difference with the tires being hotter.

Old December 29th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #11
abhijitz
ninjette.org sage

Name: Abhijit

Motorcycle(s): Many Two Wheels ..

How are these warmers? Have you used them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyconic17 View Post
Thanks everyone for all the help. I ended up buying a set of the biketek 250gp warmers and they were a lot cheaper than any other warmers i had seen. Ive never used warmers before so im eager to find out if there is a really noticable difference with the tires being hotter.
abhijitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2012, 05:47 PM   #12
Zyconic17
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitz View Post
How are these warmers? Have you used them?
Yes i have used them, and they work fine. The rear seems a little big but i think it might actually help because the wider warmer covers up the sides which helps keep the wind from stealing the heat.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 05:51 PM   #13
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

I bought the exact same warmers 2 or 3 yrs ago and the front's really tight/short. The back is right on the money.

Now, here's what I noticed...cold patches/spots. Takes forever for the tires to warm up.

For the money, they're a great buy (I think I paid like $150 for the set) but I'd paid up to $200 for some used Woodcraft tire warmers next time around. That is if you could find a such a great deal...and I do believe I can...heehee.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:26 PM   #14
TGRIFF
ninjette.org member

Name: Tyson

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Chicken Hawk makes a set specially for the Ninja 250. They are sized for the 110/140 and work great. You will need to call and ask for them specifically, but I have a pair so I know they exist.
How much was your chicken hawks? Do they come in the standard warmer or all 3 options like the others?
TGRIFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:22 PM   #15
SPG
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninjette

I think they come in all 3 options. I got the pole position (3 temp) warmers and they have been great. Don't remember the price but they were not cheap.
-Sean
SPG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:00 PM   #16
icbm
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2006 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R, 2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, 1985 Kawasaki 750 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I bought the exact same warmers 2 or 3 yrs ago and the front's really tight/short. The back is right on the money.

Now, here's what I noticed...cold patches/spots. Takes forever for the tires to warm up.

For the money, they're a great buy (I think I paid like $150 for the set) but I'd paid up to $200 for some used Woodcraft tire warmers next time around. That is if you could find a such a great deal...and I do believe I can...heehee.
I bought the MJMotogear ones. I got them for $130 shipped. Yes they were cheap and yes they work but they do take awhile to warm up. As soon as I get to the track the bike comes off the trailer and I slap them on immediately. Depending on the outside weather, I leave mine in the sun to help keep them warm until I am back from running laps. Depending on how many races you run or how spaced out the classes are you might need to keep these on or in the sun.

I only bought these cause I didn't want to spend $400 plus just to watch them fail after one full season which I have seen many racers experience. I real shame IMHO. Especially the digital ones from Chicken Hawk costing $750.
icbm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:06 PM   #17
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Yeah, you really do get what you pay for. For my 600 I have the chickhawk pole position ones and OMGosh those things are the shizzle! 3 different settings (low, med, hot) and I just leave them on the lowest setting then adjust them to hot 10 minutes before race or track time.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:56 PM   #18
icbm
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2006 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R, 2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, 1985 Kawasaki 750 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Yeah, you really do get what you pay for. For my 600 I have the chickhawk pole position ones and OMGosh those things are the shizzle! 3 different settings (low, med, hot) and I just leave them on the lowest setting then adjust them to hot 10 minutes before race or track time.
Well I used them on my Busa for a few track days when I ran the Pirelli SBK slicks. They worked as intended so no bitching from me. I think these are more suited for a casual track day rider who isn't pressed for time to have warm tires before a race. I am using for the 250R as I am only allowed to use street tires in the races I am running. Therefore just a nice added benefit for preheating where a street tire is not going to need to be all cozy like a slick needs to be.
icbm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #19
TGRIFF
ninjette.org member

Name: Tyson

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

Thanks for all the input. I'll let you all know what I get and how they work.
TGRIFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #20
SlowBoyRacing
ninjette.org member

Name: Mani

Motorcycle(s): ZX6-R and etc.

Don't buy Chinese crap. LOok up the wera x forums, see what people have to say about the cheaper ones out there. Don't mke a mistake and waste your money.
SlowBoyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #21
chacbalam
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Tripple, Ninja 250r, and a bunch of dirt bikes

Check the max temp on any set of Warner's you buy. A 250 can't generated or maintain more than 135 degrees during riding. The bike just isn't powerful enough to get the friction rates up.

Many Warner's bring the tire temp up to around 180 degrees. That means you will either go out with high tire pressures or come off with low pressure as the tires cool down to 135 degrees. At Vegas we could only run our Chickenhawk Warner's for about 30 minutes before the temp and tire pressure started to get too high.

We will now be investing in an adjustable set to get the temps right. Remember tire temps don't just affect grip, tire pressure also varies as the tires heat up and cool down.
chacbalam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #22
Jiggyfly
ninjette.org member

Name: Shon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki ninja 250

I agree with all but the 135 degree part.
I've gone out on a tire I pulled off of warmers set at 135 degrees & came in with a tire that was considerably hotter than when I went out
Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #23
chacbalam
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Tripple, Ninja 250r, and a bunch of dirt bikes

The 135 was the temP that Pirelli gave us. It was backed up by Brandon Kye on the track. He set multiple track records at Vegas and his tires clocked in at a consistant 135 degrees core temp all day.
chacbalam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #24
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

haha its forecast to be around 100 this weekend at CVMA. Looks like half a warmup lap will get the tires up to temp!
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #25
675Raisinator
ninjette.org member

Name: Zander the Expander

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki 250 (Track scooter) 2012 Triumph Daytona 675

i save money time and energy i just pit in the direct sunlight and ride like a maniac on my first lap works 50% of the time all the time
675Raisinator is offline   Reply With Quote