ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

View Poll Results: So, should it be legalized or not?
Yup. 40 75.47%
Nope. 13 24.53%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 25th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #41
Blackwidow
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Wow, this is great! I appreciate all your feedbacks...and those of you that are against it, thanks for speaking up. I respect all your opinions.

You all have very great points...like some of you said about it being a gate way drug...i agree and disagree, it can be, but its dependent on the person. some people have an addictive personality and those are the ones that tend to abuse the drug.

As for legalizing other drugs, i'm totally against it. MJ is a natural herb..its grown from a tree, where as heroin and meth and all the other nasty stuff is all chemical bound. There is a huge difference in these two drugs. Keep in mind, MJ is considered a drug because it is ILLEGAL, if it weren't illegal, it wouldn't be considered a drug. Unlike alcohol, weed tends to relax people, i've seen so many bar fights because of drunken idiots. I have yet to see any one who is high get in any type of fight or arguement. I really believe people would be so much happier if we all just toked up. lol

We have abusers, thats no doubt....so the people that will spend all their money to buy weed will do so if its legal or not. those are the one that are irresponsible. so no government can help those people become responsible by not legalizing weed, they'll find it elsewhere in more dangerous situations. I for one, don't want to meet any weirdo in a dark alley to get a little bit of weed....not saying i do, but if i were to, at this point thats how i would get my hands on it. that in itself is more dangerous then the actual drug itself.

keep the opinions coming.
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #42
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Paulette,
I might be off a bit here, but while meth is chemical bound isn't heroin natural (opiates from poppy) and coke (coca plant)? Agree that I have seen more incidents tied to alcohol than pot.
My biggest addiction is mountain dew (and posting here).
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #43
Blackwidow

well Greg...lol i haven't made any heroin so i'm not sure how its made. yes poppy seeds is one of the ingrediants, but what else is in it? i'm sure it has to be mixed with bleach or something...lol

mmmmm mountain dew. high 5

Old August 25th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #44
Blackwidow

here is something to think about. lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w33d.jpg (3.2 KB, 95 views)

Old August 25th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #45
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
well Greg...lol i haven't made any heroin so i'm not sure how its made. yes poppy seeds is one of the ingrediants, but what else is in it? i'm sure it has to be mixed with bleach or something...lol

mmmmm mountain dew. high 5
Oh sorry I must have had you confused with someone else on the smack production - haha. Maybe too many mountain dews have made me all sugared up.

Old August 25th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #46
Yoda
ninjette.org member

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Oh sorry I must have had you confused with someone else on the smack production - haha. Maybe too many mountain dews have made me all sugared up.
Back away from the Dew and no one gets hurt!

Personally I think whatever goes on in someones home is their business till it or the effects of it come out their front door.

Old August 25th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #47
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Back away from the Dew and no one gets hurt!

Personally I think whatever goes on in someones home is their business till it or the effects of it come out their front door.
Good case for domestic violence.

Old August 25th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #48
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Quote:
here is something to think about. lol
So God made Cocaine and Opium, does that mean that they should be legalized too?

It should remain illegal, period. I can see that it could have some medical use but it should not be accessible to the public. There are countless articles out there that show all the negative effects of marijuana. I think my favorite one was done on BBC called Should I Smoke Dope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zurElIUyrdU

I did watch recently a very interesting series on the History Channel called Hooked: Illegal Drugs and How They Became That Way. Was pretty interesting how all of these drugs used to be legal and how the federal government made them illegal.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #49
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie View Post
So God made Cocaine and Opium, does that mean that they should be legalized too?

It should remain illegal, period. I can see that it could have some medical use but it should not be accessible to the public. There are countless articles out there that show all the negative effects of marijuana. I think my favorite one was done on BBC called Should I Smoke Dope

I did watch recently a very interesting series on the History Channel called Hooked: Illegal Drugs and How They Became That Way. Was pretty interesting how all of these drugs used to be legal and how the federal government made them illegal.
saw that history channel show - pretty interesting.

Old August 25th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #50
Blackwidow

Quote:

lol is cocaine and heroin as natural? can you go to a poppy field and pick poppy seeds eat it and get the same affect as an actual produced heroin? I'm asking because i don't know.... same with cocain...don't they mix it with other chemicals to give it the affect that the drug actually produces? With weed, you grow the plant...pick the leaves and smoke it, no added chemicals. As far as reseach is concerned, there is nothing that proves the affects of weed. sure smoking anything is bad for you...but the affects of THC have not been proven, yet. thats not saying it doesn't have side affects in the long run, but there is no documents (that i know of) that says weed is in fact bad for you.

i'll check out the youtube video when i get home.

Old August 25th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #51
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

I don't like defining legality based on what's "natural" because that word can be manipulated to mean different things. I'd rather base it on something concrete and measurable, like the amount of deaths substance 'x' causes per user...or whatever.

Science is useful like that haha. It can quantify things and draw lines where they need to be drawn. Sure, alcohol kills people, but how many people does it kill vs. how many people "drink"? That's the defining point for me, and why cocaine shouldn't be legal while weed should be.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #52
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
lol is cocaine and heroin as natural? can you go to a poppy field and pick poppy seeds eat it and get the same affect as an actual produced heroin? I'm asking because i don't know.... same with cocain...don't they mix it with other chemicals to give it the affect that the drug actually produces? With weed, you grow the plant...pick the leaves and smoke it, no added chemicals. As far as reseach is concerned, there is nothing that proves the affects of weed. sure smoking anything is bad for you...but the affects of THC have not been proven, yet. thats not saying it doesn't have side affects in the long run, but there is no documents (that i know of) that says weed is in fact bad for you.

The coca leaf can actually be chewed (and is still done by many indigenous peoples in South America) and does give the effects of cocaine. Cocaine is the purified drug from the coca leaf and does take some chemistry.

Opium is the dried latex from poppy plants, no further purification done. Heroin is processed from opium. Opium was mixed with tobacco and smoked in China for a long period of time and pretty much destroyed China in the 15th or 16th century (can't remember) and also sparked 2 wars.

There is some evidence that long term use of marijuana is detrimental to people's health. You can suffer lung disease because you are still breathing in smoke. There are group of people called Sadhus in Nepal that smoke hashish as part of their rituals and one of them confessed that he is addicted to it.

Old August 25th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #53
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

I'll take on some of these questions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
According to whom?

There are many studies which show that marijuana use is strongly associated with later illicit drug use.

People that "move on to other drugs" would likely have done this with or without marijuana. If pot doesn't cut it for you, pot doesn't cut it for you.
As above, there are many studies which show that illicit drug users got their start with marijuana before seeking out stronger drugs.

There's no evidence of this, but it's frequently brought up in anti-marijuana arguments. While you're under the influence of it, yes. While at baseline, no.
Again, studies show that long term users of marijuana are more likely to develop mental health issues such as anxiety and depression. Teenagers who use marijuana are 3 times more likely to consider suicide.

It's the strongest pain reliever there is that doesn't have physically addictive qualities. It slows the growth of cancerous tumors. If it weren't for marijuana, I'm pretty sure my grandmother would be dead (skin cancer and lupus).
Heavy users have been known to suffer withdrawal symptoms when they stop using the drug. More teens have entered into treatment programs for marijuana dependency than for all other illicit drugs combined. As for treating health issues, there are legal forms of THC (the active ingredient) made in both natural and synthetic forms.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #54
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

Cocaine is an isolated alkaloid from the leaves of the Coca plant. Natives to where this plant is grown (South America) first discovered its effects by chewing on the leaves. As for the effects of THC, both long term and short, there are a lot of studies which show this. Granted, there are a lot of drugs which are much worse, but I wouldn't exactly say there is no effect.

Old August 25th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #55
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
There are many studies which show that marijuana use is strongly associated with later illicit drug use.
Please provide a link to an unbiased study.

Quote:
As above, there are many studies which show that illicit drug users got their start with marijuana before seeking out stronger drugs.
This doesn't mean marijuana was the cause. If marijuana didn't exist, do you think people who would be meth addicts would still be meth addicts? The only logic I see in the claim of marijuana being a gateway drug is people having dealers who want to push something harder on them. This has little to do with marijuana itself.

Quote:
Again, studies show that long term users of marijuana are more likely to develop mental health issues such as anxiety and depression. Teenagers who use marijuana are 3 times more likely to consider suicide.
Studies show that I'm richer than Carlos Slim Helu. See what I did?

Quote:
Heavy users have been known to suffer withdrawal symptoms when they stop using the drug.
Partially correct. These were not physical withdrawal symptoms, more likely symptoms brought on by anxiety from a psychological addiction. This quickly subsides. You can have a psychological addiction to anything. Just ask that 3-year-old at the park with his teddy.

Quote:
More teens have entered into treatment programs for marijuana dependency than for all other illicit drugs combined.
Now you're just being silly.

Quote:
As for treating health issues, there are legal forms of THC (the active ingredient) made in both natural and synthetic forms.
This is certainly correct, but I never claimed health issues as my sole argument for legality. Furthermore, marinol, JWH-018, JWH-073, HU-210, JWH-081 and the WIN series are all fantastic substitutes. You just can't grow them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midknight View Post
I know from personal experience that pot impairs your senses. Like I stated in my original post...I used it in high school.
You didn't function any worse sober after you tried than you did before unless something else was involved, with or without your knowledge or consent. While sober, THC has no effects whatsoever on the senses. Does it have negative long-term effects? Certainly. Are those long-term effects remotely noticeable? No. The only sense I could think to be remotely diminished is taste. If you smoke a lot, a film will develop over your tongue covering the taste buds. This is a fault of smoke, not marijuana. Fortunately, there are healthier alternatives to smoking such as vaporizing, eating and even drinking (green dragon).

Quote:
I cannot disagree with the medical aspect of the drug. But there are many many many drugs that you can buy at a pharmacy for legitimit reasons, but if you go out and buy it without a prescription or use what you have for recreational purposes it is still illegal.
I'm not sure what your point is here or what relevance it holds.

Quote:
Other drugs do more damage to the body than good. Drugs that are snorted rot the nasal cavities and deteriorate teeth.
This doesn't change the fact that it's the individual's choice to use drugs and they should be allowed to make it. Drugs that are snorted have other methods of ingestion. Not all drugs do damage to the body; a prime example would be opiates. IV heroin causes no damage to the body, other than the veins from bad technique.

Quote:
I couldn't disagree with you more. Have you been into walmart lately? Compare their shoes to a pair of nike's or adidas...the quality is no where near the same. My point to this is, there will always be someone who tries to cut cost by making a lesser product to make a larger profit.
Irrelevant. The dosage will be right there on the bottle. You know what to expect.

You might consider avoiding generalizing drugs as "bad" and instead get a more educated opinion on them. Erowid.org is a good start.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #56
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
More teens have entered into treatment programs for marijuana dependency than for all other illicit drugs combined.
That's because when they get caught with it it's either prison time or going into a treatment program and have a less severe fine. Pretty easy for law enforcement to flaunt this when they are practically forcing them into treatment, whether they have a psychological addiction or not.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #57
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
saw that history channel show - pretty interesting.
Always be careful what you believe on tv. The history channel is full of propaganda. Not saying the show you saw is false, just take things with a grain of salt that you see on the tube.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #58
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

Quote:
why do you think its annoying?
Local shops down here sell it, all you need is the medical card (5$)

same price as on the streets
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #59
Blackwidow

you're right monkey....i think it may be better to base it on fatalities rather then natural. I haven't heard anyone overdosing on MJ, but you hear so many stories of overdose with other drugs.

there is a difference between the two. Yes, weed is bad on the lungs, you're smoking it...so it does hurt your lungs...the THC slows down your brain cells, which is why so many people sound slow that have been doing it for years and years. But it also depends on the person, one of my closest friends smokes ALL THE TIME, he IS addicted...so addiction is possible, but you can get addicted to cigarettes and alcohol. why aren't those illegal? I just think that with something like weed, it should be an individuals choice to smoke it or not, makign it illegal doesn't make sense...at least not in my book

Old August 25th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #60
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Always be careful what you believe on tv. The history channel is full of propaganda. Not saying the show you saw is false, just take things with a grain of salt that you see on the tube.
Did you watch that series? I'm assuming not. Nothing I remembered was propaganda, they went through the history of how a particular drug was created, how it became popular in the public and then how it became illegal.

Besides, everything is filled with propaganda. History books in grade school pretty much say Hitler was the worst man on the planet, when in fact he was a genius and a great leader (prior to WWII). He pulled Germany together and united the country, he made the country boom economically, unfortunately when there is genius... people tend to go insane.

Regardless, you have to look at all the facts, pros and cons of each and make your own decision. I hate the pot issue because I think most people want it legalized purely because they want to get stoned without having to worry about getting arrested.

Old August 25th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #61
Blackwidow

Quote:
I think most people want it legalized purely because they want to get stoned without having to worry about getting arrested.
um...yaaaa. lol

i see your point Cindy, and i respect it. But think about it this way for a second. i'm an average person living an average life. I have a great job and have had a good education. I live in a great city, in a great apartment. I work 8-5 every day and pay my bills on time. I pay my taxes and donate to charity where I can. over all, I can say i'm a well rounded person. now on friday, on my way home, I decide to stop at the dudes house and pick up some greens for the weekend, cuz my friends are coming over and we want to smoke and watch a funny movie and relax. Well after i pick up, on my way home i get pulled over...the cop smells it and arrests me. From there, it goes on my record as a misderminer (sp?) and now i have a record. In addition, I have to do community service which will make me take time off work (if I still have work) and will be forced to go to some drug addiction program which i don't need cuz i'm not an addict! See my point? there are very normal average people that smoke weed, yes there are the losers that do it to and make the rest of us look like morons...this is sounding like the squids vrs the smart riders. If they legalize it, normal people will continue buying it and not risk everything just to chill and enjoy it, and the retards will continue buying it and of course, abusing it.

Old August 25th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #62
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Did you watch that series? I'm assuming not. Nothing I remembered was propaganda, they went through the history of how a particular drug was created, how it became popular in the public and then how it became illegal.
Propaganda and rewritten history are ubiquitous, just as your blurb about Hitler stated. Your opinion is respected 100%! Guess we can agree to disagree, but the tube is not always a great source of educational or historical information. Then again, as you stated, accurate sources are hard to find.
Like Paulette, I'm a normal, active person, and no one who knows me would call me lazy or dumb (common stereotypes). That 70s show certainly did a lot to encourage the common pot-smokers stereotypes, but not all fit into that mold. Not all get addicted. Not all move on to other drugs. Not all get lazy, fat, or stupid. Just some thoughts to consider.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #63
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

The whole pot issue has its pros and cons. I remember quite a few years ago when my father went through chemotherapy for his cancer. The treatments took their toll. He was so skinny, that if he drank tomato juice he would look like a thermometer. I did, at that time, score for some pot from a friend, and we proceeded to make brownies, cookies, etc. The turnaround was unbelievable! He gained weight, went into remission, and lived another seven years. A patient I worked with had severe PTSD from his service in Vietnam. He went to mumerous psychiatrists, tried all sorts of therapies--some pretty bizzare, and took a truckload of pills--antidepressants, Lithium, Phenothiazines, and the list goes on. He, at some point decided that enough was enough, took himself off all meds, and smoked two joints a day. He leads a normal life--and has to break the law to do so. We all have different body chemistries and react differently to different things. Legalizing Medical Cannabis seems like a step in the right direction. People prone to addiction will continue to be addicted, whether it is alcohol, prescription drugs, or whatever. The two cases I mentioned are two that I knew well. I guess it is a decision that will probably be made for economic reasons, e.g. The Lottery--gambling, for sure. I think in the poorer parts of cities it is called "playing the numbers"--against the law! When the government does it, it is OK. Go figure.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #64
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

Name: Michelle

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R "Passion Red"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadyn View Post
Stoners fixated on nothing but the next time they can smoke, blaming the government and the police and their dead-end jobs for all their problems. Then they go drop $60 on a bag of weed, sit around with their stoner friends and complain some more, all the while smoking away all of the income they're not using to barely pay their bills. Those are the same guys who sport marijuana leaf tattoos and the Bob Marley shirts and will argue to the death with you about the merits of marijuana and how it's such a beneficial, natural drug with no drawbacks. That's what I find annoying.

Not to mention the entire culture is kinda grimy. Trust me, I lived it for two years.

+1

I don't think it should be legalized. Only because people are constantly looking for something "illegal" to do. If not something that simple....they will surely do something stronger. Also, with our broke ass society...we don't need to give money to the non-working drug dealers that sit at home and wait for their phone to ring all day and live off the government because according to the government...they don't have a job....so they get tons of money and yet I work my ass off daily and don't have half of what they have.....then the people that buy the weed, turn around and hop on state aide because they don't have any money for food and what not....well....if they weren't buying bags all week...they might be able to live check to check like a normal american.

I don't have problems with weed...and in fact have some friends that have smoked for YEARS....but they aren't the pot head kind. I just know what I see from times that I have been around a dealer or even people buying....and eventually....for most....the high isn't enough anymore and they move on to something else. Something worse.....I like beer and it is legal! lol
meeshee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #65
Blackwidow

so what are you saying? That if they legalize weed these so called drug dealers will look for something else illegal to do?

Old August 25th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #66
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Please provide a link to an unbiased study.

This doesn't mean marijuana was the cause. If marijuana didn't exist, do you think people who would be meth addicts would still be meth addicts? The only logic I see in the claim of marijuana being a gateway drug is people having dealers who want to push something harder on them. This has little to do with marijuana itself.

Studies show that I'm richer than Carlos Slim Helu. See what I did?

Partially correct. These were not physical withdrawal symptoms, more likely symptoms brought on by anxiety from a psychological addiction. This quickly subsides. You can have a psychological addiction to anything. Just ask that 3-year-old at the park with his teddy.

Now you're just being silly.

This is certainly correct, but I never claimed health issues as my sole argument for legality. Furthermore, marinol, JWH-018, JWH-073, HU-210, JWH-081 and the WIN series are all fantastic substitutes. You just can't grow them.
I'm not going to get into a point by point debate with you, as we obviously see things differently. But there are plenty of studies out there (google is your friend) that you can look up which document their findings. For starters, here is a fact sheet on marijuana abuse by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (government entity):

http://drugabuse.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html

Old August 25th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #67
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

hum?

Link to original page on YouTube.

People drive better on weed! According to the BBC.

Not better than drunk, better than straight!

That is hilarious. I'm a graphic designer too. LOL (technically art director)

Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #68
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab305 View Post

Link to original page on YouTube.

People drive better on weed! According to the BBC.

Not better than drunk, better than straight!

That is hilarious. I'm a graphic designer too. LOL (technically art director)

Say that to Ryan's dead friend that got killed by a driver that was under the influence of marijuana. (I know it was probably a joke... didn't watch the video, but it hit home a little too hard)

If they do legalize it, it will probably be as a prescription drug. I can't see them legalizing it for recreation. I don't see the thrill in taking something to alter your mental state. I don't smoke, or drink and if I do have a drink it's 1 only because I enjoy the taste not because I want to get drunk or tipsy.

Again I don't see the argument that legalizing it will make it easily controlled. What about people who abuse Xanax, ritalin, oxycodone or the hundreds of other prescription drugs? I don't see those drugs easily controlled since addicts can still buy those drugs from a dealer. People in the drug trade will find a way to still make money on marijuana.

I honestly hate the whole argument. Mexican gangs illegally come to California, to Federal forests, clear out sections of the forest, set up their farms that end up polluting the area, they are heavily armed and have killed tourists because of their precious plant that makes them billions of dollars. It sickens me, and buying that sh*t is supporting them just so someone can get stoned. I was planning a camping trip to Sequoia National Forest and it totally freaked me out when I saw they had warnings on what to do if you encounter a marijuana farm... not something I wanted to see.

Anyways to each his own... btw how in the world do you pot smokers stand the smell, gawd it makes me want to puke.

Old August 25th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #69
Flow
ninjette.org guru

I don't believe even for a second that being under the influence of anything but a mild stimulant (ew) can make you drive better. More cautiously, certainly, but not better. You're just as much of a danger going 15 on the freeway thinking you're doing the speed limit than you are with a few drinks.

Don't toke and drive.

Quote:
If they do legalize it, it will probably be as a prescription drug.
No problems here, I personally have several legitimate medical reasons for use, but that doesn't mean I can't also enjoy it.

Quote:
Again I don't see the argument that legalizing it will make it easily controlled. What about people who abuse Xanax, ritalin, oxycodone or the hundreds of other prescription drugs?
These are all physically addicting drugs. You develop an ACTUAL dependency. If you go off them, you can get sick enough to die from withdrawals.

Quote:
I don't see those drugs easily controlled since addicts can still buy those drugs from a dealer.
Your average Joe can't grow his own xanax bars.

Quote:
IPeople in the drug trade will find a way to still make money on marijuana.
This would be the case if they had a superior product. Fortunately, you can grow something just as potent as anything else. It usually really comes down to how the curing is done.

Quote:
I honestly hate the whole argument. Mexican gangs illegally come to California, to Federal forests, clear out sections of the forest, set up their farms that end up polluting the area, they are heavily armed and have killed tourists because of their precious plant that makes them billions of dollars. It sickens me, and buying that sh*t is supporting them just so someone can get stoned.
This wouldn't be the case if it was legal. How can they make money with their garbage brick weed when perfectly-cured bud is available at their local dispensary?

Quote:
Anyways to each his own... btw how in the world do you pot smokers stand the smell, gawd it makes me want to puke.
It's a personal thing. You either love the smell or hate the smell. There's no in-between.

Quote:
This study is highly biased and riddled with misinformation. Yes, I actually read it.

Old August 25th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #70
Flashmonkey

Quote:
I honestly hate the whole argument. Mexican gangs illegally come to California, to Federal forests, clear out sections of the forest, set up their farms that end up polluting the area, they are heavily armed and have killed tourists because of their precious plant that makes them billions of dollars. It sickens me, and buying that sh*t is supporting them just so someone can get stoned. I was planning a camping trip to Sequoia National Forest and it totally freaked me out when I saw they had warnings on what to do if you encounter a marijuana farm... not something I wanted to see.
Quote:
This wouldn't be the case if it was legal. How can they make money with their garbage brick weed when perfectly-cured bud is available at their local dispensary?
This. See...there's the mentality out there that supporting the legalization of hemp supports crime and funds drug dealers. How the hell would that ever be the case if the hemp became a legal substance, and was subsidized and heavily taxed by the government? We would essentially be taking this industry out of the hands of the criminals and into the hands of our governments (criminal or friend?...debate for another thread). Once in the hands of the government they can put whatever insane regulations they want on it, tax the crap out of it, and enforce it's importation as they see fit. This "war on drugs" would virtually disappear. SWAT teams all over North American will no longer be storming people's houses and shooting up their dogs for dimebags.

Cigarettes are legal up here in Toronto, but nobody, anywhere, is allowed to smoke in any building of any kind. Yet it's legal. Some people smoke...others don't. To say that legalizing weed would result in some kind of orgy of anarchous results is freakin' ridiculous. It's not like I walk to work swigging alcohol and chain smoking 50 packs in the face of babies. I'm not a moron....most people aren't.

I think the base fear of a lot of people is that once weed becomes legal, people who previously would've avoided it would now jump head-long into it. Sure there may be a rise in people who try it...but weed, like smoking, won't be for everybody. I've tried it before. I hang out with pot heads. I don't do it...mostly because I'm cheap. Odds are, if you're not the kind of person to be a regular weed head, then you won't pick it up when it becomes legal. Likewise, if you're of the 'pothead' variety, odds are you're already doing it (and possibly high right now). I doubt there's very many potential potheads left out there waiting for the day for pot to become legal so that they can finally get into it. Weed flows like water around these parts...I can probably get weed faster than I can get a cigarette right now...yet not everybody does it. Free will is weird like that....and when it's exercised in the favor of getting high, I'd rather that money go to my government rather than some idiot renting out a downtown penthouse with my goddamn money!!

Old August 25th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #71
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

Quote:
so what are you saying? That if they legalize weed these so called drug dealers will look for something else illegal to do?
No...not the dealers....they would still sell and have a better job than most people. lol The users...and not ALL users...but many users would use something else. The price of Weed would drop...because you could get it anywhere....causing the price of harder drugs to drop because dealers still need to make the money....so people who couldn't afford crack or whatever, will be able to afford it now and still get weed when they need a cheaper drug.

I honestly don't care either way....but I just know I wouldn't want my kid smoking it....just cause it's legal.

Old August 25th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #72
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

So... if marijuana is as safe and relatively non-toxic as so many of you say... then why isn't it legal anywhere in the world?

Old August 25th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #73
Flashmonkey

Quote:
So... if marijuana is as safe and relatively non-toxic as so many of you say... then why isn't it legal anywhere in the world?
First...amsterdam.

Second...my theory is that the governments are making more money by enforcing it as an illegal substance (special task forces, law enforcement budgets, agencies, etc)...but I'm cynical like that.

Old August 25th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #74
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
First...amsterdam.

Second...my theory is that the governments are making more money by enforcing it as an illegal substance (special task forces, law enforcement budgets, agencies, etc)...but I'm cynical like that.
LOL it's not legal in Amsterdam, it's an illegal drug there.

Old August 25th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #75
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Well whatever...see reason number 2 haha.

I honestly do not know why it isn't legal. It boggles the freakin' mind. Whatever studies they've tried to do on this stuff hasn't yielded anything consistent. I'm pretty sure it's just an "I don't know what this crap is so i'll just keep it illegal" kind of mentality.

And besides, it may be illegal in amsterdam but they allow it to be used with heavy restrictions. Why THEY don't legalize it is beyond me.

Old August 25th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #76
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Have you been to Amsterdam? Calling it illegal there is like calling lane-splitting illegal in California.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #77
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Have you been to Amsterdam? Calling it illegal there is like calling lane-splitting illegal in California.
This, although there are several restrictions as James says. You can't smoke out in public and shops selling it can't directly advertise that they're selling it (nothing saying it short of a Bob Marley picture). I personally support the former restriction, though the latter is a bit silly. You also can't use drugs until age 16.

Holland has "soft" drugs legalized and "hard" drugs illegal or prescription.

Old August 25th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #78
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Lane splitting isn't illegal in CA.

It states that pot is illegal in Amsterdam... but it's not a punishable offense. Pretty sure that cops there would arrest you if you smoke outside of a coffeeshop

Old August 25th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #79
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Pretty sure that cops there would arrest you if you smoke outside of a coffeeshop
A few old friends of mine live there. Though smoking outside is illegal, you're not likely to be arrested for it.

Old August 25th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #80
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

man! This turned into a heated discussion! lol wow..... this is more heated than the religion topic.