Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old March 18th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #41
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Name: Robenson

Motorcycle(s): 05 F4i....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
"speed limit" depends on the bike. my 250 is limited to 105ishMPH. but my 600 isn't limited until 145.
I know the title could be a little confusing, but I didnt know how to edit it that's y I added "marked speed limit" hoping it would help clarify things a bit.

sorry but i was asking whether you follow the road speed limit or not
RJprod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #42
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

Alex was just being Alex.
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 18th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #43
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Got my 250 to read 115mph last weekend. So technically I guess that is my speed "limit". :P It's rare to have a clear straight long enough to accomplish that feat.

In all seriousness, I try to keep it no more than 15mph over the limit, 10 if I'm in an area with traffic and/or cops.

Edit: Just read through everyone's responses. Yep, what Alex said. :P

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #44
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Got my 250 to read 115mph last weekend. So technically I guess that is my speed "limit". :P It's rare to have a clear straight long enough to accomplish that feat.

In all seriousness, I try to keep it no more than 15mph over the limit, 10 if I'm in an area with traffic and/or cops.

Naughty girl!

Old March 18th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #45
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Naughty girl!

Hmmm...

Old March 18th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #46
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Quote:

What.... 115? km or mph??? My 6fiddy will only go 122mph.... you go girl!

Old March 18th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #47
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
What.... 115? km or mph??? My 6fiddy will only go 122mph.... you go girl!
I don't weigh much. And it was on a nice, LONG downhill straight with very good sight distance from all angles. So yeah, that one spot is where Little Ninj and I can hit records. LOL!

And yes, MPH. The wind was helping us this time.

Old March 18th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #48
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Wait, we're suppose to follow the speed limit like cars and trucks do.

I always go faster than the traffic around me. I hate being stuck behind other vehicles.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #49
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJprod View Post
ummm... If you read my other posts you'll notice that I've progressed much faster than most people probably would expect in just a month and a half. I am confident in the way in which I ride in the streets whether slow or fast. I've put 1500 miles on the bike.. now that's a lot of riding if you ask me. (including a trip from Tampa to Miami). I asked the question not because I'm scared to ride on the street (regardless of traffic conditions), but rather because I didnt wanna get pulled over for speeding.. so I wonder how others were doing?

in my own mind, I figured if you're doing slightly less than the speed limit you risk getting stuck behind cars all the time which is not good if everyone is doing the speed limit or above it.. at least over here In Tampa near the school.
Don't get cocky too soon, 1500 miles is a good weekend's spin. Come back when there's another zero on the end & you'll have a reasonable start

Learn when you can give it a good wind on & when to reign in the throttle.

Usually I behave myself in residential areas, give it around the speed limit or a bit over on larger roads & completely ignore speed limits on twisty roads or motorways. (That just means that I use my own judgement, but anything goes where I see fit, 150+ on a mate's bike on a clear stretch of poker straight good surfaced road for example, 130ish test riding a Ducati with a pro in front of me, I could keep track of anything that caused him to adjust his ride, so I was happy to push the pace above what I would do on that stretch by myself)
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #50
aeroblade
Doh!

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Where I'm from the speed limit for bikes is about 30mph everywhere!!

That is the speed limit that they set when the caveman invented the wheel and the authorities never really got around to changing it, go figure

So I keep it varying from 40 to 60 mph just so that I don't get run over from behind
aeroblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #51
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Well, I can't talk for everyone or every place but over here people drive like they have something against you. if you stay behind a car for too long you risk getting boxed in or rear-ended by other cars, or they drive behind you in such away that you have to switch lane whether you wanted to or not.
The reality is that you will be behind and in front of some car or truck most of the times.

Constantly switching lanes is not the best approach, in my experience.

The car or truck next to you has much more power to sweep you away that those in front and behind you (rear ends are only 2% of all the motorcycle's accidents).

You have control over the car in front, keeping distance and away from the center of the lane (from where debris will suddenly come to you).

Move over for tailgaters after a little time, or, if not possible, slow down progressively until the driver decides to go around.

Speed up or slowdown as needed to stay away from blind spots and never idle next to a car/truck, even if it is far from your side.

During the first months of riding, the newbie is the greatest danger to himself.

She/he is developing skills that are non-natural, and that takes time, more for some, less for others.

After the rider learns the basic skills, immediately becomes overconfident, speeds up and lowers the guard.

It always takes a dangerous or complicated situation to trigger one or more survival reactions and to make that rider wake up to the realm that her/his basic skills are less than enough to survive in traffic, and that the need for education continues.

You want that unavoidable complicated situation to happen after you have trained emergency braking and evasive maneuvers long enough to make them automatic (you are on your own practicing those, you don't learn those during track days).

You may be a gifted rider, but please, don't allow yourself to become overconfident while you are learning to become one with your machine and to eliminate the natural SRs (survival reactions).

"The rider is the wild card, the unpredictable and variable component in the package. And his problem is with the SRs that are triggered, nothing else." - Keith Code
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 19th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #52
TheDementedDrummer
Present. Somewhat.

Name: Neel

Motorcycle(s): 2012 KTM Duke 200, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2011 Ducati Monster 796, 2014 Kawasaki ZX10r

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I hope you do not pass cars going 30 MPH faster then them?
No, when overtaking, i slow down to like 5-10 over their speed, but our highways are practically empty most of the time

Old March 19th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #53
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
The reality is that you will be behind and in front of some car or truck most of the times.

The car or truck next to you has much more power to sweep you away that those in front and behind you (rear ends are only 2% of all the motorcycle's accidents).

You have control over the car in front, keeping distance and away from the center of the lane (from where debris will suddenly come to you).

Move over for tailgaters after a little time, or, if not possible, slow down progressively until the driver decides to go around.

Speed up or slowdown as needed to stay away from blind spots and never idle next to a car/truck, even if it is far from your side.

During the first months of riding, the newbie is the greatest danger to himself.

She/he is developing skills that are non-natural, and that takes time, more for some, less for others.

After the rider learns the basic skills, immediately becomes overconfident, speeds up and lowers the guard.

It always takes a dangerous or complicated situation to trigger one or more survival reactions and to make that rider wake up to the realm that her/his basic skills are less than enough to survive in traffic, and that the need for education continues.

You want that unavoidable complicated situation to happen after you have trained emergency braking and evasive maneuvers long enough to make them automatic (you are on your own practicing those, you don't learn those during track days).

You may be a gifted rider, but please, don't allow yourself to become overconfident while you are learning to become one with your machine and to eliminate the natural SRs (survival reactions).

"The rider is the wild card, the unpredictable and variable component in the package. And his problem is with the SRs that are triggered, nothing else." - Keith Code
it's not overconfidence when I mentioned my 1500 miles. I did it because I was annoyed with the fact that you were talking as if I just picked up a bike yesterday and decided to gun it down the road without knowing what the hell I was doing.

I classify myself as a newbie (again c my other posts you'll c a testament to that), and I don't think this label will be taken off anytime soon. I'm not that stupid to think after my long trip that I can do anything or I'm a pro. I still recognize my weaknesses every time I go for a ride, and I try to stay within the limit of my skills as much as possible..

I feel like I'm trying to convince you to concede with me with the way I ride. this was not the purpose of the thread, so I'm going to leave at that. you're right, am wrong. I'm right, you're wrong. it doesn't matter.

Old March 19th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #54
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Don't get cocky too soon, 1500 miles is a good weekend's spin. Come back when there's another zero on the end & you'll have a reasonable start

Learn when you can give it a good wind on & when to reign in the throttle.

Usually I behave myself in residential areas, give it around the speed limit or a bit over on larger roads & completely ignore speed limits on twisty roads or motorways. (That just means that I use my own judgement, but anything goes where I see fit, 150+ on a mate's bike on a clear stretch of poker straight good surfaced road for example, 130ish test riding a Ducati with a pro in front of me, I could keep track of anything that caused him to adjust his ride, so I was happy to push the pace above what I would do on that stretch by myself)
here's a little prayer I said every time I get on my bike.. " God please protect me, don't let me do anything stupid, or let me try to do stuff that are beyond my skill set.." I pray as such because I understand that cockiness is what will get you killed on these streets, regardless of your skills, or experience level...

so I'm not cocky. I don't think I ever will be. overconfidence is a safety hazard in my book. I mentioned the 1500 miles because I was annoyed with the guy's comment as I explained to him.

Old March 19th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #55
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
.......I was annoyed with the fact that you were talking as if I just picked up a bike yesterday.......

I feel like I'm trying to convince you to concede with me with the way I ride......
Please, excuse me for annoying you with my presumptuous posts and for making you feel that you or I must admit something.

I may very well be wrong, as many other times.

I respect everyone's posts and your thread and I promise I will stay out of it.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #56
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Please, excuse me for annoying you with my presumptuous posts and for making you feel that you or I must admit something.

I may very well be wrong, as many other times.

I respect everyone's posts and your thread and I promise I will stay out of it.
look man, I welcome everyone's advice, be it positive or negative. it's part of learning. I understand not everyone is going to agree with me. Even if I feel attacked and speak up, I value everyone's input.

Old March 19th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #57
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
ummm... If you read my other posts you'll notice that I've progressed much faster than most people probably would expect in just a month and a half. I am confident in the way in which I ride in the streets whether slow or fast. I've put 1500 miles on the bike.. now that's a lot of riding if you ask me. (including a trip from Tampa to Miami).
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #58
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

so just an ironic update of what i posted yesterday, i was following a cop for a couple miles and had to get over 2 lanes for my exit. Cars in both of those lanes and once a gap opened up i went over. Promptly got pulled over by said cop and he said i passed him like a bat out of hell. lol got the video if interested
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #59
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
so just an ironic update of what i posted yesterday, i was following a cop for a couple miles and had to get over 2 lanes for my exit. Cars in both of those lanes and once a gap opened up i went over. Promptly got pulled over by said cop and he said i passed him like a bat out of hell. lol got the video if interested
Lol... I wanna see it.. ah ah

Old March 19th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #60
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Bat outta hell, the only way 250's roll.

Old March 19th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #61
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Link to original page on YouTube.

it is still processing so you may or may not be able to watch it, the SUV in front of me is the cop and in heinsight i could have just went to the right behind the blue car but i didnt want to be behind that truck. And after he goes back into his car to run my stuff you can stop watching, im a lazy editor and its just me looking at the road until he gives me my stuff back and lets me go

Old March 19th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #62
sk1l1ne
ninjette.org member

Name: sk1l1ne

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250 2009 cbr600rr (rip)

Quote:
"speed limit" depends on the bike. my 250 is limited to 105ishMPH. but my 600 isn't limited until 145.
+1
sk1l1ne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #63
sk1l1ne
ninjette.org member

Name: sk1l1ne

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250 2009 cbr600rr (rip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post

uhh, you DID speed up
you passed the cop
what you expect?

I would have filed in behind the mazda.
Seems like there was plenty of room and traffic was flowing at a good pace.

Last futzed with by sk1l1ne; March 19th, 2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: gave two cents but wanted to give three more
sk1l1ne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #64
Old Lemon
Lays er down

i mean its not like i passed him going 85, was doing 70 - 73 and you cant pass someone without going faster than them

Old March 19th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #65
dave42
ninjette.org guru

He did say the speed limit was 55 and you were going a little faster than the cars in other lanes.

I'm gonna start yelling I'M DA BAT every time I pass somebody from now on.

Old March 19th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #66
sze5003
ninjette.org member

Name: Salim

Motorcycle(s): 2005 SV650S

I always find I'm doing the damn speed limit or 5 under for some reason. There's times where I don't even notice I'm going 60. Luckily I have not been pulled over yet because I still need to get the bike inspected. Although here around Philly very few friends have their bikes inspected for some reason.
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #67
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Be a "permanoob" and you'll be more likely to have a nice, long riding career. Always be willing to learn new skills and stay humble. They're right, overconfidence can be a bad move on 2-wheels. Just sayin'. 40,000 miles in 4 years plus about a dozen track weekends and I still consider myself a noob. There's always more to learn!

Old March 19th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #68
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Be a "permanoob"
It's decided, that's going in your user title.

ally99
"permanoob chick"

choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #69
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
LOL! It is on the Sportbike Tracktime forum. Yeah, it should be here too. I like it!

Old March 19th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #70
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
It's decided, that's going in your user title.

ally99
"permanoob chick"

@EternalNewb kind of already taken?
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #71
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Quote:

Awesome post
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #72
Corona
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R (Crashed/Unexistent) / 11 Ninja ZX6R

I go no more than 10 over at the highway because that's about the average speed everyone drives, in the city I go no over 5 because is easier for a cop to pull me over.
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #73
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Me: Depends mostly on whether I'm alone on the road. Speed of traffic for the most part. Alone, typically +5 to +10…. which is generally the speed of traffic anyway. If I'm truly alone on the highway, i might wind it up a bit… at 80+ I start to get worried about the police. I never open it up on side streets and definitely not in quiet neighborhoods.

Jiggles: Depends mostly on whether *crash*

adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #74
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

highest ive gone is 90-100. majority of the time im goin 50.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:41 AM   #75
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Jiggles: Depends mostly on whether *crash*
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #76
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
5-10 over or slightly faster then the flow of traffic.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #77
willk
ninjette.org member

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgentz View Post
just slightly faster than traffic. reasoning: reduces the risk of being rear-ended and keeps you out of people's blind spots since you are moving through them. I am also an offensive-defensive rider/driver.
+1
willk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #78
YunMing
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexander

Motorcycle(s): (Sold) 2007 Red Ninja 250r, 2003 Cbr 600 F4i

Usually 10 - 20 mph over but sometimes I'm just cruising at normal speeds.
YunMing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #79
Coolbpf
Limp Noodle

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, Fastest Red money can buy

wot
Coolbpf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #80
lgk

Name: Jason