Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Notices

Old April 25th, 2019, 10:50 AM   #1
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

Couldn't stay away

So I sold my bike about a year ago. I thought getting a cool car would fill the void left by leaving the track but it turns out, it didn't.

So I will be getting another bike solely for track use. Haven't decided on what to get yet. I was aiming for an SV650S so I could experience at least some straight line speed. But I left the track not even close to mastering anything on my 250 so I am starting to lean towards another 250, 300, r3, rc390 etc.

To the point, my concern right now is how to live with a bike with no side stand but assuming I will be going to and from the track alone. Mainly just getting on and off in the paddock. How can one deal with this without having to hassle someone else near you for help to put it on a rear stand?

I would really like any of those mentioned bikes but with clip ons, stiffer fork springs, and rear sets. And most of those come on race bikes with no side stand.
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old April 25th, 2019, 11:54 AM   #2
Kowalski
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

It can be awkward at first but you’ll get it down quickly. The biggest thing is just trusting the bike at its balance point. It doesn’t take much pressure at all to keep there. If you’re not using tire warmers you could use a wheel chock stand instead of a swing arm stand.
Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2019, 12:13 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi and welcome back!!!

no problems with getting bike on rearstand by yourself. Here's what I do:

1. while bike still on trailer/truck, put stand where you want to park bike

2. roll bike off and towards and past stand so stand is behind rear-tyre

3. hold bike's rear seat with one hand, keep it balanced vertically (might want to practice this lots in garage)

4. reach over with other hand grab stand and position under rear spools. Lift slightly so bike is evenly supported

5. remove hand from back seat while keep pressure on stand.

6. use both hands to push down on stand.

Practice #2-4 with placing stand on right of bike or on left of bike. Along with using left or right hand to hold bike while reaching for stand with right or left hand. Certain combos will be more comfortable and easier for you. Have fun!

BTW - Ninja 400 is faster than SV650 on track.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2019, 01:17 PM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I have a front wheel chock that I find very quick and easy to use for maintenance, and once in the chock putting the bike up on the rear stand is a snap by yourself.

I have a Trackside Roll On Wheel Chock from Cycle Gear (https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...on-wheel-chock). I think it was $79 on sale, and it's made pretty well. There are less expensive ones out there also.

I rarely do any work on the cycle without it.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2019, 02:02 PM   #5
Kowalski
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

One other thing, make sure the handlebars are straight ahead. If the theyre turned the bike will want to fall towards that side. Honestly just practice balancing the bike with one hand if you’re worried about it.
Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2019, 02:07 PM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Are you racing or just doing track days?

If not racing, you don't need to take the side stand off. I BOUGHT one for my R6.

Pretty much every bike I see at track days has a side stand.

The issue with the 250 side stand mount limiting lean angle is long gone.

Add the Ninja 400 to your list. It's in the sweet spot of power vs. economy.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2019, 03:30 PM   #7
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

Thanks for the replies. Did some reading and I think the wheel chock would be the safest bet.

And ideally I would find a small bike with upgraded clip ons, rear sets, and suspension with a side stand. But most small bikes with those upgrades remove the side stand for racing. I will not be doing any racing. Maybe I can just cut some of the race body work and put the side stand back on if I get a bike without one.
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2019, 04:50 PM   #8
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Used track bikes are best deal ever! They typically will have upgrades you want for track anyway: clip-ons, rear-sets, fork-springs, emulators, rear-shock, etc.

With Ninja 400 gaining popularity, used 250/300 track bikes are falling out of sky at rock-bottom price! Luckily you might find one with just side-stand removed. Mine had the side-stand and its mounting-bracket chopped off (saves another 2-lbs). I've actually saw bike with bicycle kickstand attached.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2019, 01:32 PM   #9
GregS
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, GSXR-750, Ducati M1100

Get a dirt bike stand and stuff it in the footpeg, works great on my Ninja 300. It is basically a removable side stand. It takes 2 seconds, and is much easier than having to balance the bike when using a rear stand.

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...triangle-stand

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/WW...=w1227-h920-no
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2019, 02:12 PM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
Did some reading and I think the wheel chock would be the safest bet.
Yes...wheel chock

But honestly, it's absolutely no big deal to put the rear stand on solo. This is where a quality rear stand will outshine a cheap stand.

Think big picture too. Do you have an open trailer without a restraint system? How about in the garage? A wheel chock could help in the paddock AND other areas.

Food for thought....

Good luck with your bike search!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2019, 08:42 AM   #11
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Are you racing or just doing track days?

If not racing, you don't need to take the side stand off. I BOUGHT one for my R6.

Pretty much every bike I see at track days has a side stand.

The issue with the 250 side stand mount limiting lean angle is long gone.

Add the Ninja 400 to your list. It's in the sweet spot of power vs. economy.
You do NOT want a sidestand if you get another 250 Ninja. In fact you'll want to cut off the sidestand bracket because it can easily drag and out you on your head.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote