ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old January 11th, 2019, 09:19 AM   #2281
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Good for you! Not only is cycling good for physical health, it's goog for mental health as well!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2019, 11:26 AM   #2282
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
It is, actually. Bicycling is a lot calmer than driving. It's weird. I got in the car one day and a wave of anger came over me at a moron driver. That didn't happen on the bike.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2019, 09:17 PM   #2283
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Eh? What happened to poster that said he just got bike?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2019, 04:21 AM   #2284
Berlinho
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Pedro

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Just yesterday was riding a bicycle on a sea road in Spain where I am trying to look for a property for sale in Alicante https://tranio.com/spain/valencia/alicante/. Right now here we have an amazing weather, around +23C and sunny which is perfect for riding or walking.
Berlinho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2019, 04:52 AM   #2285
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
FYI: if people need a headlight for their bicycles, check out Outbound Lighting. Likely a little pricier than the average non-enthusiast cyclist wants to spend, but their product is awesome and performs as well as or better than some of the much more premium priced options on the market.

I bought one of their products on the recommendation of someone from the MTB group I used to ride with and it's great. I got the road light and have been using it both on my gravel bike and on my MTB helmet for rides here in Pisgah and it's awesome.

I've been chatting with the guy who runs the company and he's a really sharp dude with some really strong knowledge, and he's cool to talk to.

no, I'm not paid, sponsored, or otherwise endorsed by them, I'm just really impressed with this light. The usable spread of light is legitimately better than my motorcycle was, except I can mount this one on my helmet and go ride chunky trails with it I went on a ride yesterday with some friends that went into dusk and all my fellow riders were really impressed with it as well.

https://www.outboundlighting.com/
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2019, 09:43 AM   #2286
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Had my first really big off on the MTB, earned myself a trip to the ER for 9 stitches and general wound care. In all seriousness I had a helmet on but no elbow or knee pads or anything at the impact split my elbows open like a watermelon rind. Bruised ribs and shoulders and serious road (trail) rash are other casualties. Gotta order some more protective gear if I am going to ride that thing hard.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 1st, 2019, 03:17 PM   #2287
CaliGrrl

Ouch! Heal up! Helmet is my main protective equipment on a bicycle, too.

Old April 1st, 2019, 05:00 PM   #2288
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Glad you're okay. I've been wearing only a helmet and gloves, some of my friends wear knee pads and/or elbow pads.

I'm thinking about it, but I've been doing really well riding a little more intelligently. Also I've been lucky.

Old April 2nd, 2019, 08:27 AM   #2289
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Glad you're okay. I've been wearing only a helmet and gloves, some of my friends wear knee pads and/or elbow pads.

I'm thinking about it, but I've been doing really well riding a little more intelligently. Also I've been lucky.
I kinda did a little reading on what to wear early on and got some pretty mixed bag answers. I tend to do more XC/Trail work vs Trail/Enduro/Down and most people that do XC said, ahh you don't need elbow/knee pads.

Well as I have gotten more and more comfortable, I have gotten faster and faster. I have been attacking more of the black diamond stuff and getting used to more difficult terrain. This off happened on an easier section of trail but this time I needed elbow and knee pads as the speed I was carrying and the aggressive attitude I had to the trail was much higher.

Do you need pads? Depends on how you are going to ride. I rode this section of trail 20 times before and did not need the pads then. But I also didn't make the mistake. Should the mistake I made have happened - no it was avoidable. But as we tend to do from time to time we get excited and adrenaline rushes as we push our comfort zone and mistakes become more likely.

This time I needed some more protection and didn't have it.

Old April 2nd, 2019, 03:38 PM   #2290
CaliGrrl

My last crash on the mountain bike was on a fire road, a flattish section, and a place there is no reason to crash. I think I stopped paying attention to balance or something and just tipped over. So yes, you can crash on the "bunny hill" portions of trails.

Old April 2nd, 2019, 04:18 PM   #2291
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
With motorcycles, it's ATGATT.

With bicycles, it's styrofoam hat, spandex shorts, and skimpy shirt.

Why is that?
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2019, 07:09 PM   #2292
CaliGrrl

The spandex is because I sweat a lot while bicycling. Other than that, it is kind of odd, isn't it?

Old April 2nd, 2019, 07:37 PM   #2293
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
With motorcycles, it's ATGATT.

With bicycles, it's styrofoam hat, spandex shorts, and skimpy shirt.

Why is that?
I've asked this too. Ironically, bicycles are collectively more dangerous to my health than the motorcycle ever was. I tend to take about one tumble per year that sets me off the bike with some bruises for a bit. You'd think I'd learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
I kinda did a little reading on what to wear early on and got some pretty mixed bag answers. I tend to do more XC/Trail work vs Trail/Enduro/Down and most people that do XC said, ahh you don't need elbow/knee pads.

Well as I have gotten more and more comfortable, I have gotten faster and faster. I have been attacking more of the black diamond stuff and getting used to more difficult terrain. This off happened on an easier section of trail but this time I needed elbow and knee pads as the speed I was carrying and the aggressive attitude I had to the trail was much higher.

Do you need pads? Depends on how you are going to ride. I rode this section of trail 20 times before and did not need the pads then. But I also didn't make the mistake. Should the mistake I made have happened - no it was avoidable. But as we tend to do from time to time we get excited and adrenaline rushes as we push our comfort zone and mistakes become more likely.

This time I needed some more protection and didn't have it.
Personally, I rode more XC/trail in OH, then I moved to western NC, and that's been turning solidly into trail/enduro. Realistically I should be bringing pads with me and putting them on quick at the top of the bigger descents, but the XC weenie in me still doesn't want to stop and wait. Stoppage time doesn't lend itself well to average speed.

As far as your issue... I've found that it's a lot like the motorcycle. Attitude and skill go a long way to determining your ride outcome before you've even started. If you're going out to be aggressive and rip a little, you're likely going to be a little more risky and that's not great for injury. But, if you're looking for a calm ride and happen to be a very skilled rider on a familiar trail, you're typically faster without trying. It's interesting to see as you build skill; your rides will be much more controlled and calm and will feel slow a few seasons in compared to what they were when you were new, but your segment times will also be much faster. It's funny how that works.

As for "black diamond", I'm not familiar with the trails you're riding, but that's very regional and subjective. The black diamond stuff in OH is all super techy slow man made stuff, but the black diamond stuff here is naturally chunky, steep, loose, and exposed. I've had to really change my riding attitude from "I want to go fast!" to "I'm going to focus on precision riding and clean this stretch of chunk". The end result is I'm getting better and better at successfully clearing big sections of trail that I never would have tried before. Give it a shot, it's pretty satisfying. There's definitely still fast days though.

Old April 3rd, 2019, 11:13 AM   #2294
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Yeah the advanced/difficult trails where I ride are more rocky, technical, with elevation and features (some man made but most natural). The problem was definitely between the ears on this crash. Because it was "easier" and I had "ran through it" alot I figured in my adrenaline induced arrogance that I could just hit it a good two or three mph faster and all would be well.

Well three miles an hour faster and it totally changed the topography of the launch point, landing zone, and elevation of a relatively benign drop - a change that I didn't account for and paid the price. But like anything, its about learning, adapting, and building the skills to accommodate it. Some lessons just hurt.

I am much better with the bruised ribs and contusions today but the rash all over is awful and the heavy laceration is threatening infection. Had to go back this morning and get check on.

Old April 5th, 2019, 05:28 PM   #2295
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Well three miles an hour faster and it totally changed the topography of the launch point, landing zone, and elevation of a relatively benign drop - a change that I didn't account for and paid the price. But like anything, its about learning, adapting, and building the skills to accommodate it. Some lessons just hurt.
It's fascinating how your line choice and method around a feature change with speed. In the same vein, it's fascinating how the relative scale of things on the trail changes with speed (and skill). What used to feel huge and scary at a shaky low speed seems tiny and insignificant. Suspension settings are the same way.

Heal up and get back out on a bike!! Have you had a crash like this before? Talk about getting in between your ears. When you get back on the bike, start working on drops of all speeds (slower is more difficult because of how long you have to loft the front wheel) to build that confidence back up without losing so much time. You should be able to take any drop at a slow jogging pace just as easily as you can rail it at full tilt, within reason obviously.

Old April 9th, 2019, 09:30 AM   #2296
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Hope to be fit enough to get back on the bike next week. Stitches are scheduled to come out in three days. Ribs are serviceable and bruises are fading. Jogged today for the first time since. I was pretty banged up. First real big crash on the MTB but have had big ones on the race bike before at the track and I’ll apply the same mentality in the bicycle- slow let and deliberate to get feeling and rhythm back. Def need to improve the technical skills to related to drops and jumps

Old April 24th, 2019, 11:04 AM   #2297
dodgerdad
ninjette.org guru

Name: Hector

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Went for a quick spin today and stopped to snap a picture of my steel stead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0979.jpg (133.4 KB, 5 views)

Old April 25th, 2019, 11:47 AM   #2298
CaliGrrl

Whoo! Nice day for a ride.

Old April 25th, 2019, 04:42 PM   #2299
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Nice! I got a little enthusiastic, signed up for a gravel race, and injured my knee So I'm taking a week or two off the bike.

Old April 25th, 2019, 07:14 PM   #2300
CaliGrrl

Ouch! Heal up before you get back on, for sure.

Old April 27th, 2019, 07:56 AM   #2301
cbreater
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 16' S1000RR, 04' CB919, CRF150/230, 07' 250R

Just got back from a weekend of Mtn Biking Bentonville, AR. If you live within 2 days drive of this place, go! Unbelievable what they have done with their trail systems. The trail builders know what they are doing there and have them built just top notch! Eureeka Springs is also worth every second of the 55 minute drive from Bentonville for Lake Leatherwood. Even the paved system that they have is quite remarkable. Beautiful area to bike around.
cbreater is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2019, 07:05 AM   #2302
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

any particular park or trail system there?

Old April 29th, 2019, 07:38 AM   #2303
cbreater
ninjette.org member

Quote:
any particular park or trail system there?
All of them. Lake Leatherwood worth the drive. Slaughter Pen will entertain you for hours (days) and is accessible from downtown straight away. Personally, I wasn't all that impressed with Coler Mountain Bike Preserve. I had high hopes for it but compared to all the other riding, it was ho hum.
Blowing Springs was a good ride. The Back 40 was OK, worth it to ride the Ledges trail but otherwise I'd skip it next time.

When I return, I will plan on more time in Slaughter Pen and Blowing Springs. Rode SP and BS for a whole day and barely scratched the surface.

Lots of 2 way trails, which was new to what i'm used to riding (most of ours are one way). The DH trails are marked well so you will not accidentally end up on one the wrong way.

Stop into Phat Tire Bike shop and start pedaling from there right onto Slaughter Pen and enjoy!

Old April 29th, 2019, 08:37 AM   #2304
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Awesome thanks. I don't get that way often but sometimes for work I have to travel into the area - or close enough to bring the bike.

Old April 29th, 2019, 08:48 AM   #2305
cbreater
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Awesome thanks. I don't get that way often but sometimes for work I have to travel into the area - or close enough to bring the bike.
I'm in the same boat. "Luckily" have a business trip down there first week of June for another crack at them. I'm confident that CC 5010 rental will slide under the expenses pretty easily.

Old April 29th, 2019, 05:11 PM   #2306
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
It's a cool place to keep in mind, but I think I'll stay here for now. Living 15 minutes from Pisgah has pretty much killed my desire to travel > 1-2 hours with a bike.

Old April 30th, 2019, 07:01 PM   #2307
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
https://cruzbike.com/blogs/blog/race...eid=9ad1a0295e
Yesterday, Jason Perez finished 2nd overall and beat his time from 3 years ago in the Devil Mountain Double Century, one of California's toughest road races.

This 206 mile race includes climbing Mt. Diablo, listed by BICYCLING magazine as one of the ten toughest climbs in America. If placing 2nd in a competitive field in a 206.2 mile race with 20,717 feet of climbing on a recumbent bicycle doesn't impress you that much, consider that 3 weeks ago, he was hit by a car while training for the race, his Cruzbike V20 was totaled, and he had to hastily build up another V20 to compete. This is what a cycling hero looks like. Congratulations, Jason. @rojoracing53

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99

Last futzed with by allanoue; May 13th, 2019 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Update
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2019, 10:02 PM   #2308
CaliGrrl

Dang! Dedication and a good rider!

Old September 24th, 2019, 12:44 PM   #2309
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): Current machines- 1992 SECA II 600, 2006 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250

I moved to Kingwood, in 1998, in my late 20's. Nobody interested in skateboards, but plenty of people into BMX dirt, and flatland. So I picked up a MOSH "DJ III" in 1999. Still have it today, and ride it often. Haven't done jumps in a few years, but I can still do the basics in flatland. I ride it at least every two weeks, just to keep active, with my two pre-teen kids (and myself) active.

Not sure if it's a compliment, or insult to hear kids say " look at the old, white bearded guy do tricks!" :/
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2019, 02:48 PM   #2310
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

My wife did a thing for me

Last futzed with by sharky nrk; September 25th, 2019 at 07:01 AM.

Old September 24th, 2019, 06:34 PM   #2311
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
I'm sure it's lovely, but I can't see the picture on my end
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2019, 07:00 AM   #2312
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Did it fix it?

Old October 16th, 2019, 09:59 AM   #2313
GreatGreedo
ninjette.org member

Name: Guarino

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, CBR 125R (My 1st bike was a 2001 ZX-6R)

I ride any bike I can get

Old January 2nd, 2023, 09:17 PM   #2314
Jimi4
ninjette.org newbie

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda

I wanna share my experience with you guys. I am not a pro. I bought a Cannondale Topstone (alloy) last year. Its geometry is fairly similar to the Synapse which I believe is on the racier end of endurance. It also happens to mirror my road bike (Canyon Endurace) very closely. So fit-wise these gravel/road bikes feel similar. On the road it rides a bit slower than my road bike but unless you're in the middle of a Hammerfest its not enough to matter.
I wouldn’t reasonably expect it to be much worse than my road bike. More frequent drivetrain cleaning is required due to the nature of the ride.

Lessons learned - get shoes/pedals for SPD. I tried one ride with my SPD-SL and after putting my foot down prior to a stream crossing and getting the cleat coated in sand/grit I learned my lesson. Also, watch your speed. While bombing down gravel roads at 30+ mph is exhilarating in more than one way; you really need to be able to read your line and anticipate what’s coming ahead. The handling is different, especially if any loose material is encountered. Also, gravel roads are generally not graded the same way a paved road is.
Jimi4 is offline   Reply With Quote