ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old December 10th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #1
cal95050
ninjette.org member

Name: C---

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Seat Cowl Redux

Anyone get so pissed at their solo seat cowl that they just went back to the OEM seat? I must have played with that thing for an hour yesterday, trying all the fixes I read about here, and while it locks just fine, and the gaps are just fine, I cannot get the rear to lock into place. You can just lift it up and fish around in there; not that I care about someone taking my registration or insurance, big deal, they're just copies, but one day I might want to put something there while I go shopping. Like my helmet. Why does the cowl simply not lock like the OEM seat? What gives?
cal95050 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal95050 View Post
Anyone get so pissed at their solo seat cowl that they just went back to the OEM seat? I must have played with that thing for an hour yesterday, trying all the fixes I read about here, and while it locks just fine, and the gaps are just fine, I cannot get the rear to lock into place. You can just lift it up and fish around in there; not that I care about someone taking my registration or insurance, big deal, they're just copies, but one day I might want to put something there while I go shopping. Like my helmet. Why does the cowl simply not lock like the OEM seat? What gives?
You could always get and paint one of these. It fits over your original seat.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #3
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02XCxWm06PU

Old December 10th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #4
cal95050
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Thanks, but that was useless. I guess I'll just keep playing with this until it locks down. Or I'll put the seat back on and live with it. Or maybe I'll just go with the Air-Tech model.

Old December 10th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #5
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Do you have the rubber grommet that the back part goes into? It sometims falls out. Thats what locks that into place.

Old December 10th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #6
cal95050
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Do you have the rubber grommet that the back part goes into? It sometims falls out. Thats what locks that into place.
Grommet is there. It stays in place. Everything fits in snugly, it just doesn't lock into place.

Maybe I'll try an A-Tech one piece, because it looks pretty cool, and it will give me an excuse to order something from Japan.

Old December 10th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #7
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Quote:
The rear seat cowl is purely for cosmetic purposes... makes the bike look cool anyway, if there comes a time when you want to carry something valuable, why not just take the time to swap it out? if your out just to ride... seat cowl... if you gotta make some stops and need to hang your helmet.. OEM rear seat...

as far as locking is concerned, if someone wants to get into the rear seat compartment, OEM or cowl, its not gonna matter... its just too easy to get in there.... so enjoy the cowl for what it is...

As far as the A-tech one piece is concerned... your solution to being aggravated over a non-locking rear seat cowl is to just not have a compartment in the back at all.... hmmm.... interesting....
ninja3575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #8
cal95050
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja3575 View Post
As far as the A-tech one piece is concerned... your solution to being aggravated over a non-locking rear seat cowl is to just not have a compartment in the back at all.... hmmm.... interesting....
Exactly. If it is not going to be functional, then might as well have something cool.

Old December 10th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #9
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Exactly. If it is not going to be functional, then might as well have something cool.
Ok... I see your point now ... I recently ordered a partial tank cover/pad made, I believe, of Carbon fiber from A-tech... the guy makes good stuff and the delivery time was pretty damn quick !

If you do get around to ordering it... be sure to post your results...
ninja3575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #10
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Name: Saint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 KAW Ninja250r

Quote:
Ok... I see your point now ... I recently ordered a partial tank cover/pad made, I believe, of Carbon fiber from A-tech... the guy makes good stuff and the delivery time was pretty damn quick !

I've got a Carbon Fiber 1/2 Tank cover...it's not made by A Tech but it's made in Japan by some custom shop here in Japan. My wife ordered it for me and even had it delivered to my doorstep the next day. 100% Carbon Fiber...not a sticker so you got to use double back adhesive. Looks beautiful. I think mine cost me $80. I'll post picks later.

As for the cowl not locking in the rear....sometimes it helps to find out where the problem is if you just a normal sheet of notebook paper and place it under the seat then try and lock it down. Note where the paper is creased and where it's been penetrated. Sometimes it'll give you an idea of what the problem is. I'd like to repete myself: sometimes it helps. No promises.
SaintJPN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #11
cal95050
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Right now we're emailing back-and-forth about the a-tech hugger, and the rear cowl as a one piece. Some of the japanese I cannot understand and the pictures are not helpful. A-Tech is very prompt in replying, though, and very helpful.

Old December 29th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #12
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Name: Saint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 KAW Ninja250r

Quote:
Right now we're emailing back-and-forth about the a-tech hugger, and the rear cowl as a one piece. Some of the japanese I cannot understand and the pictures are not helpful. A-Tech is very prompt in replying, though, and very helpful.
For the carbon fiber rear hugger and a lot of other carbon fiber options like mirrors, signal lights, and gauges (these are all covers that replace stock covers). You can order them through Kawasaki Japan. In fact, when you buy a bike from here in Japan...they give you a catalog that has all sorts of parts for most of their bikes they make. I can almost guarantee you can talk to someone that speaks english pretty decently if you say, "Do you speak English?" and "I need to speak to someone that speaks English" or See-ma-say, go-minnow-sai....knee-hung-O.. DA-may... Go-min-ay. English Oni-ga-she-moss. Translates to: Excuse me, I'm sorry but Japanese language is bad. Sorry. I need English please.
SaintJPN is offline   Reply With Quote