ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 26th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #1
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Rear Shock Issues ....

After purchasing my bike and riding it around for the first few hundred miles did I begin noticing drops of oil beneath the bike... I looked underneath thinking it might be the engine oil and discovered that the rear shock was the culprit. I took it in for my 600 mile service and let them know about the leak.. They told me it was normal... Is it? it drips after each ride and these oil spots are each the size of your palm...
ninja3575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Doesn't sound normal; have never noticed anything of the sort on either of our ninjettes.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #3
GiGs
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Only time I have seen something like that (not specifically on a Ninja) was when the shock was f***'ed...the bike bounced like a bouncy ball. If that's the case, get your dealer to replace it and stir up a fuss (such an inconvenience, and so on - why not, they [most dealers] try to get away with doing as little work possible).

Better still, print off the page of the service manual where it says to replace it and bring that in and watch there face !
GiGs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2010, 02:19 AM   #4
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Thanks guys... Yeah, didnt make sense that any oil leakage of any kind would be considered normal... well... there is the chain... Now i'm beginning to question if anything at all was done to my bike during that first maintenance service.. To me it seemed I paid 200 bucks for essentially an oil change... which by the way is bugging me as well...

I was looking at the oil through the "looking glass" and noticed flecks of some kind in the oil... what the heck right ?!! gonna have to complain about that one as well, after which, I'll be doing most the maintenance myself...

Thanks again for the heads up... Gonna go get me a new shock ASAP

Old December 27th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #5
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja3575 View Post
I hope you mean a new shock through the warranty your bike has and not an aftermarket shock, correct?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #6
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I hope you mean a new shock through the warranty your bike has and not an aftermarket shock, correct?
Yup, gonna take advantage of my warranty and get it replaced today...

Old December 27th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #7
kkim

Quote:
Yup, gonna take advantage of my warranty and get it replaced today...

Old December 28th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #8
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Now i'm beginning to question if anything at all was done to my bike during that first maintenance service.. To me it seemed I paid 200 bucks for essentially an oil change...
Yes, yes you did. And you'll never know if they did what they were supposed to until you go over the list and do it yourself.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #9
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Natalie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 Special Edition Red/Black

Quote:
Thanks guys... Yeah, didnt make sense that any oil leakage of any kind would be considered normal... well... there is the chain... Now i'm beginning to question if anything at all was done to my bike during that first maintenance service.. To me it seemed I paid 200 bucks for essentially an oil change... which by the way is bugging me as well...

I was looking at the oil through the "looking glass" and noticed flecks of some kind in the oil... what the heck right ?!! gonna have to complain about that one as well, after which, I'll be doing most the maintenance myself...

Mind stating where you took your bike in for service?

Old December 31st, 2010, 01:41 AM   #10
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattygirl View Post
Mind stating where you took your bike in for service?
Hi Natalie... I took my bike in for service at the same place I purchased my ride... On the upside, they did give me a pretty good deal

Got my ride at Chaparral, here in San Bernardino...

Old December 31st, 2010, 02:56 PM   #11
kkim

what's the status on your shock problem?

Old December 31st, 2010, 04:05 PM   #12
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Quote:
what's the status on your shock problem?
The good news is after they re-inspected the rear shock they determined it was leaking... Funny thing though since the shock was in worse condition when i first brought it in... (I had cleaned off the grime and oil right after the 600 mile service inspection)...

The bad news... They say the bike will be in the shop for around a week while they wait for parts from Japan... So I threw out a little sarcastic jab and said "you mean i cant be riding on it till the part arrives?" and service guy didnt pick up on it and gave me this quizzical look and tells me that given the leaky condition it would be a pretty big liability issue... seriously... this coming from the same guy that said oil dripping from the rear shock was normal...

Anyway, thanks for the followup KKIM... I'll be keeping my fingers crossed

Old December 31st, 2010, 04:19 PM   #13
kkim

I would have taken the bike back and ask them to call me when the shock came in so it could be brought in for the new shock install.

They have no legal right to hold your bike unless their name is on the title.

Old January 1st, 2011, 05:43 PM   #14
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Quote:
I would have taken the bike back and ask them to call me when the shock came in so it could be brought in for the new shock install.

They have no legal right to hold your bike unless their name is on the title.
Hmm... so riding on a leaky shock isnt too big a deal ? other then comfort, if the shock were to fail the only problem i guess would be the rear would get all spongy and soft right? Gonna have to check in on monday and see about bringing the bike home...

Old January 1st, 2011, 08:37 PM   #15
kkim

Well, I would be careful how I rode it, but I doubt the shock would fall apart. It's leaking... meaning the oil is making it's way past a seal. It's ability to properly dampen will be greatly diminished (be very bouncy), but the shock should still function within limitation and should not fall part unless there is something totally wrong with it and ready to fall part due to construction.

Old January 2nd, 2011, 01:21 PM   #16
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Ever ridden a motorized pogo stick over bumps? I believe there is a thread around here about someone who wrecked after pogoing off the top of a set of ripples in the road.

The shock diagnosis could have been a sarcastic mechanic blowing it off as chain lube from a cold chain being collected in the area. Most likely, the seal didn't go on straight at the factory.