ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old June 25th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #41
jschatte
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe the Ant View Post
I just gotta say your drawing looks like a 3 legged boxer of some sort with his arms up after a match
hahaha, glad someone finally found the hidden picture. jk.
jschatte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #42
jschatte
ninjette.org member

Ok, since I couldn't edit the first post here is the final wiring diagram. To reiterate:

This mod enables all three lights to be taillights and brake lights. The signal lights are still integrated into the corner pods.

Besides some solder and heatshrink the materials needed are a 5 to 4 automotive trailer light converter and a automotive 2 pole flasher. The flasher needs to be replaced as the stock one is too wimpy (thats the conclusion I came to haha)

Attached is the final wiring diagram!
Attached Images
File Type: png Taillights.png (49.1 KB, 11 views)

Old June 25th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #43
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschatte View Post
Ok, since I couldn't edit the first post here is the final wiring diagram. To reiterate:

This mod enables all three lights to be taillights and brake lights. The signal lights are still integrated into the corner pods.

Besides some solder and heatshrink the materials needed are a 5 to 4 automotive trailer light converter and a automotive 2 pole flasher. The flasher needs to be replaced as the stock one is too wimpy (thats the conclusion I came to haha)

Attached is the final wiring diagram!
I think I see a problem. The second filament of the brake/running light is not connected to anything. Connect to blue?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #44
jschatte
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I think I see a problem. The second filament of the brake/running light is not connected to anything. Connect to blue?
You are very quick! I noticed that after I posted and cursing ensued. Fixed now.

Old July 10th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #45
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I got some Volar Motorsports sockets and smoke pod lenses from D2moto so that I could have amber signals there and match my Clear Alternatives smoke brake light lens. I already expected to be replacing the sockets so that I could do this mod, but I was still interested in what was included because I bought a second of everything to sell (CA lens is very hard to find and I got the last two from my source). Strangely, the sockets fit 1157 bulbs (BAY15D) but only have one contact inside (BAY15S). I looked it up and found that it was a that there is pretty much no way to get an appropriate amber bulb for this socket, but I did find dual-contact pigtails which seem like they will convert it to a BAY15D for amber 1157 bulbs, so I don't have to buy new sockets after all. I bought eight pigtails, two for me, two for my buyer, and four for anyone else who needs it (found at least one other complaining about the sockets).

So, if anyone here is planning to order a cheap lens kit for the pods, you might want to go ahead and do this mod and use a couple of my pigtails (free). The sockets have rubber boots and fit the stock tail light assembly perfectly.

That said, I'm ordering a second of everything so that I can then sell a complete smoke tail light. Because I have to sell it with converted BAY15D sockets, it makes sense to go ahead and sell it with jschatte's complete mod. Before anyone says anything about me profiting off his work, I did send him a PayPal gift and it's not like I have too many other options for recouping my costs on all this. Also, I'm not selling more than one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Only reason I stated that initially is because I know that here, cars are allowed to have red turn signals on the rear, but motorcycles must have amber turn signals front and rear.
First time I've heard that. My 250 had the integrated signals, and as with 95% of pregens with that mod, the covers were still red. Never had any issues with it either.
maybe it's just Ohio then...

it's still more visible as a turn signal if it's amber
US Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Part 571, Standard 108 states that turn signals must be amber or red and must be at least 9" apart, center-to-center. If signals are red, their edges must be at least 4" away from the edge of the tail light.

In other words, this law is why we have ugly stalks.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:45 AM   #46
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschatte View Post
I am planning on doing the integrated tail light modification on my bike, however I did not like the fact that the outer lights (signals) were not functional as brake lights as well. I think having these extra lights as park lights would help for night time visibility as well as having a larger brake light (three bulbs instead of one). So I did some brainstorming and all lights can be fully functional with the utilization of a trailer light convertor. Here's what I came up with, what do you guys think? I have yet to do this to my bike as I am dealing with some engine issues first.
I can't find anything for 40-6807 Reese. Would the 119176 / 55-1196 do the trick?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CE0Q8wIwAA

I'm pretty sure Reese counts each cable with hot + ground wires as one "wire."

Old July 25th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #47
jschatte
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I can't find anything for 40-6807 Reese. Would the 119176 / 55-1196 do the trick?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CE0Q8wIwAA

I'm pretty sure Reese counts each cable with hot + ground wires as one "wire."
any five to four wire adapter should work. I ended up using a different unit cause canadian tire didnt have it in stock (figures)