ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old November 10th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #1
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Cornering

Most of crashes (rider's fault) occurs in corner. Mostly hitting them too fast. So when you enter a corner a little too fast, what do you do?

Lean more?
Rear brake?
Engine brake?
Soft front brake?
Abandon bike and bail?
Pray?
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #2
areifel
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Don't quote me. But, I believe you lean more and accelerate a little. You'd be surprised how far the bike will lean. Make sure to look through the turn and not at the ground.
areifel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #3
kkim

I typically trust the bike and hope it's capabilities are greater than mine. Complete the turn as planned. By the time you realize you're in trouble, you usually are.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #4
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
Most of crashes (rider's fault) occurs in corner. Mostly hitting them too fast. So when you enter a corner a little too fast, what do you do?

Lean more?
Rear brake?
Engine brake?
Soft front brake?
Abandon bike and bail?
Pray?
I think it's more of people THINK they entered the corner too fast and so they panic. If you do enter a corner a little too fast, just ride the corner like you're supposed to and you're probably gonna be fine. Steady in, roll on your throttle from your apex, etc. If you enter the corner a lot too fast, do the same thing but pray too!

Old November 10th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #5
SVBS
ninjette.org member

Name: KT

Motorcycle(s): 1 of them Big Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
If you enter the corner a lot too fast, do the same thing but pray too!
yup yup, praying definitely help you lean smoother
SVBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #6
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Sometimes it's not really your fault. LOL

Vid here

Around 2:48 mark is when it happens.

For me, it's mostly I'm not entering the turn/corner fast enough.

If you're mind is telling you you're entering the turn/corner too fast just stand the bike up (assuming you're in mid-turn) and get on the brakes. But what most people don't understand is they think the speed you're entering the corner/turn is the speed you're be cornering which is not true. In other words, your "Oh shiet!" moment will most likely turn into a "Oh?" moment.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #7
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I typically trust the bike and hope it's capabilities are greater than mine. Complete the turn as planned. By the time you realize you're in trouble, you usually are.
+1

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

I push the bars a bit more, give a tad bit of throttle to get stable and trust the bike will hold.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #9
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
I think it's more of people THINK they entered the corner too fast and so they panic. If you do enter a corner a little too fast, just ride the corner like you're supposed to and you're probably gonna be fine. Steady in, roll on your throttle from your apex, etc. If you enter the corner a lot too fast, do the same thing but pray too!
+1

If you think you're going in too hot, the only thing you can really do is either lean more or bail (or do all kinds of weird crap with the brakes). I'm willing to bet most noobs will bail first...or do things with the brakes.

All in all, my emergency plan consists of falling back to maintenance throttle and leaning my brains out. I'd rather low side than touch the brakes and high side. My days of flying for the hell of it are well behind me.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #10
8gauge
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Limited Edition - R.I.P. 12/2/2010

I just clench my buttcheeks and hope i didnt ruin a pair of good underwear.

Old November 11th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #11
vince_2149
ninjette.org member

Name: Vincent

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Quote:
Pretty much. If you panic you end up like this (note the bar angle vs. the forks. I hit a rock/small boulder and did a front flip w/ the bike. That's where the dirt/dents came from on the upper parts of the bike.)

The turn (I was going the opposite way the bike was facing.)

I could have made the turn at my speed too, more than likely. Just got overconfident and out rode my ability. Lesson learned and 10k clean miles since.
vince_2149 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #12
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:

Lean more?
Rear brake?
Engine brake?
Soft front brake?
Abandon bike and bail?
Pray?
You forgot the most important option: ROLL ON THE GAS!

Quote:
I totally agree that most riders THINK they have entered the corner too fast so they panic and make several mistakes. Unfortunately, most of the options listed above, lean more, rear brake, engine brake, soft front brake, abandon bike and bail and pray are only going to make the situation WORSE and not better.

I agree with what rockNroll says about continuing to ride through the corner like you're supposed to and rolling on the throttle, though I would advocate doing so asap once the bike is turned and not necessarily waiting until the apex to do so.

So, how will rolling on the gas help ensure that you make it through the corner safely?

How might the above suggestions (lean more, rear brake, engine brake, soft front brake, abandon bike and bail.....) make the situation worse?

Misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #13
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
So, how will rolling on the gas help ensure that you make it through the corner safely?
How might the above suggestions (lean more, rear brake, engine brake, soft front brake, abandon bike and bail.....) make the situation worse?

Misti
I believe rolling on the gas makes the bike more stable by taking the slack out of the drive line and providing traction and pulls the bike through the turn. Too much front brake and rear brake will cause the bike to stand up and also can cause a lock up, resulting in less control. Engine braking in too low of a gear can cause the bike to dive and lose traction at the rear wheel. Engine braking in the right gear should be done before the lean into the turn.

Light-moderate braking on the rear brake will cause the bike to squat slightly, it lowers the center of gravity thus helping with traction but still allows the bike to power through the turn. The trick is knowing how much rear brake too apply. The rear brake can control or modulate your speed much better than the front brake and abrupt (sudden) throttle input.

All that put together is; Practice (practice is a confidence builder) and Pray before you get on the bike, prior to hitting a turn, set yourself and the bike up (engine braking, proper line and approach, looking through the turn) if you can prior to entering a turn, if you find yourself entering a curve too fast, stay calm and focus, continue to ride through the corner like you're supposed to, rolling on the throttle, doing so asap once the bike is turned and not waiting until the apex to do so, lean the bike a little more while applying some moderate rear brake and staying steady on the throttle. Stay on the bike. If you do lose it or you do lowside, having on good or proper gear, you will be able to in most cases walk away with little or no injury. Bailing or abandoning unnecessarily can cause injuries to you, not to mention damage to the bike, your wallet and ego. Most importantly is ride to your skill level and be safe.

whew..
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #14
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

I've been there before.., that feeling like you're entering a turn too fast. Just lean! (and apply gas to keep her stable!)

You'll be amazed at what the ninja will do, no panicking. Moderate braking works just fine as long as you don't freak out and grab a handful of brake (or rear for that matter, in a turn I NEVER use the rear brake.. I won't risk locking it up like that).
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #15
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Never brake in a corner! The advice given so far is great, and there are tons of other cornering threads with a wealth of information if you want to read more. Your bike will lean a LOT further than you will be comfortable leaning it the first few times. Trust the bike.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #16
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Ok, look at the last picture of Vince's post. See those oil spots in the right lane? Those scare the hell out of me. Am I over-reacting, or are do those typically have significantly-reduced traction?

Old November 13th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #17
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Someone enlighten me: I was under the impression that a whiff of rear brake will settle the bike mid turn. Not saying you let off the throttle or not continue the turn but just add at touch of brake to tighten the turn.

Old November 13th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #18
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

When I hit a corner too fast, I usually am thinking two things. GAS and LOOK THRU!

Sometime I am thinking a third thing....am I wearing clean underwear?...or am I STILL wearing clean underwear???!!! I think if I ever lowside my buttcheeks will tear of vinyl seat cover as bike slides across road.

Old November 14th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #19
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

I can't agree with those who say accelerate if you get into a corner too fast. That makes no sense to me. If a person is entering a corner too fast, then accelerating obviously makes the problem worse. On the other hand, abruptly getting off of the throttle is a bad idea because that upsets the balance of the bike. So I believe committing to the turn and leaning over more while maintaining some throttle would probably be the way to go. Since you are sitting down and reading this then you have the ability to make sure you don't head into a turn too fast so that you can accelerate through the turn. Doing the braking prior to the turn is the way to go. I think we can all agree about that.
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #20
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Really depends on body position - riding like every corner is on the track puts your body in more of a position to have better control of the outcome, regardless of the actions that are taken (i.e. more throttle, minor use of rear, even slowing during a turn if needed).

The one time I high-sided, I would have been able to make a better choice rather than just quickly letting go of the throttle and using both brakes - which caused me to drift wide and hit gravel and then the fun started. I know for a fact, had I been in a more "racing state of mind" instead of just out enjoying the twisties, my reaction to a sudden red light from the bike in front would have been different because my body position would have been more aggressive; which lends itself to a variety of possible corrections.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #21
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer View Post
I can't agree with those who say accelerate if you get into a corner too fast. That makes no sense to me.
People aren't saying accelerate. People are saying get on the gas. The problem with rolling off the gas or even adding more brake while in the turn is it causes the bike to do exactly what you don't want it to do. Run wide, and or lessen the available traction. Getting back on the gas better balances the the bike from the front to rear, and helps keep both ends of the bike well within their traction limits.

Quote:
Doing the braking prior to the turn is the way to go. I think we can all agree about that.
If the bike is slowed down to the appropriate entry speed well before the turn, then no problem. It's a reasonable idea to keep a safety margin well below the bike's and rider's limits on the street.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #22
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
People aren't saying accelerate. People are saying get on the gas. The problem with rolling off the gas or even adding more brake while in the turn is it causes the bike to do exactly what you don't want it to do. Run wide, and or lessen the available traction. Getting back on the gas better balances the the bike from the front to rear, and helps keep both ends of the bike well within their traction limits.

If the bike is slowed down to the appropriate entry speed well before the turn, then no problem. It's a reasonable idea to keep a safety margin well below the bike's and rider's limits on the street.
+1 on this, well stated. That is exactly what we are saying. It doesn't take much gas to stabilize the bike and get the weight off the front. Instead of coasting through a turn when you enter it too fast and certainly instead of getting on the brakes we are saying give a slight roll on with the throttle. Rolling on the gas will transfer the weight of the bike off the front and onto the back. This allows the suspension to work properly and allows the bike to maintain a predictable line.

Now, there are the occasional times when you might need to emergency brake in the middle of a corner to avoid hitting something unexpected. This is different from getting on the brakes in order to simply slow down (due to perceived too high entry speed). When these situations arise what is the safest method of doing so? How can you safely apply the brakes mid turn in an emergency situation?

Misti

Old November 16th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #23
vince_2149
ninjette.org member

Name: Vincent

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Quote:
I can't agree with those who say accelerate if you get into a corner too fast. That makes no sense to me. If a person is entering a corner too fast, then accelerating obviously makes the problem worse. On the other hand, abruptly getting off of the throttle is a bad idea because that upsets the balance of the bike. So I believe committing to the turn and leaning over more while maintaining some throttle would probably be the way to go. Since you are sitting down and reading this then you have the ability to make sure you don't head into a turn too fast so that you can accelerate through the turn. Doing the braking prior to the turn is the way to go. I think we can all agree about that.
I didn't see anyone else post this site yet, so I'll do it. Here's an answer to you question and is a good read on this topic
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Entering_a_turn_too_fast

Regarding the accelerating:
"Accelerate slightly through the turn. This is to balance the bike, not to speed up. Don’t grab a handful of throttle; just use slightly more than constant throttle. And don't do the opposite: Letting off the throttle will upset the bike’s suspension nearly as much as using the brakes. It overloads the front suspension and means more risk of a lowside."

Notice the "slightly" part. Like stated, it's to balance the bike, not to speed up and making the problem worse.
vince_2149 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #24
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
Really depends on body position - riding like every corner is on the track puts your body in more of a position to have better control of the outcome, regardless of the actions that are taken (i.e. more throttle, minor use of rear, even slowing during a turn if needed).

The one time I high-sided, I would have been able to make a better choice rather than just quickly letting go of the throttle and using both brakes - which caused me to drift wide and hit gravel and then the fun started. I know for a fact, had I been in a more "racing state of mind" instead of just out enjoying the twisties, my reaction to a sudden red light from the bike in front would have been different because my body position would have been more aggressive; which lends itself to a variety of possible corrections.
+1
If you havent rode the bike on the track. DO IT. Go, enjoy, learn. Riding over your own ability is easy if you have never done a trackday. riding over the bikes ability is hard with just "street skills".
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #25
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I slow down while entering the corner, as soon as im in my turn i lean and roll the throttle as if i'm accelerating from a red light (slowly and smoothly)

Old November 17th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #26
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Never ever break! Lean lean lean, a low side is ALWAYS better than a high side.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2010, 04:47 PM   #27
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab305 View Post
Never ever break!
Don't break is probably good advice for more than motorcycling

I think you meant "brake" but it is a common mistake

To lean and commit and look where you want to go and not to panic is the key I think.
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:56 PM   #28
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

I've been surprised how hard I can be turning and then still brake or just roll off the throttle without any slippage. Granted, this is largely me trying to keep away from the absolute limits since this is all on the street, but it is definitely nothing like the "touch the brakes and die!" :P .

Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM   #29
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

"I think you meant "brake" but it is a common mistake "
How embarrassing, I is usually a good speller. Cause I is an ex college student.

"I've been surprised how hard I can be turning and then still brake or just roll off the throttle"
You are practicing, bad technique SR#1(Keith said so). For whatever reason you felt you needed to "brake" or roll off, there was a better solution. You will eventually find the point where you can't brake or just roll off anymore.

I personally still have trouble not doing it. SR#1 is hard to overcome.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:57 PM   #30
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

put your foot down like they do on motards
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2010, 07:50 PM   #31
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Oh I know it's bad, but the solution to every possible mid-turn situation cannot always be "more throttle and lean harder." For example, in one of my cases I looked up to see I was headed strait for a large piece of cardboard. I did not want to risk going around it, because in approaching the edge of the road I could have hit some gravel or even dust. So, between the options of hitting the piece of cardboard at nearly full-lean and KNOWING I will crash, or rolling off the throttle to go over it as vertically as possible, I chose the latter (and survived). I am not saying this is correct or anything, but I think as long as you are being at least reasonably sane it is not a guaranteed crash to do anything but get on the gas and lean harder. But, like I said, this could very well be because I try to stay away from my absolute traction limits since this is all street riding, which gives me more fudge room.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 07:53 PM   #32
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrish View Post
put your foot down like they do on motards
That always seems crazy to me. My uncle tore all the ligaments in his knee (like, all the 'CLs) when he put his foot down to keep from falling sideways when doing a wheely on a dirtbike at maybe 15MPH. Like, most all of the tendons are some kind of rope now. I can't understand the logic in trying to brace a 300lb machine at 50mph with your human leg, lol.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:20 PM   #33
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I have saved 2 low sides by putting a foot down. Once was I was crossed up like a flat tracker when my rear tire hit wet pine needles, the other was a rear wheel slipping on a cold morning on the center painted line. I didn't so much slam it down as just kind of dab, and it was my last resort. I think dirt bike riding helps alot in these situations where you are often putting your inside foot down in the turns. J - many people hurt their knees dirtbiking like your uncle did when they catch their foot in a rut and the knee gets twisted. MX boots often have smooth soles so that the riders foot doesn't get too much traction in the dirt and put stress on the knee. I have friends who are expert level MX racers who have blown out their ACL in such ruts. Terrible injury, my daughter has had a torn ACL over a year now from a HS sport injury. She will probably get it fixed at the end of this school year. She continued to play sports with the injury and lots of leg lifting - bit I digress, LOL.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:46 PM   #34
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by highpsiguy View Post
When I hit a corner too fast, I usually am thinking two things. GAS and LOOK THRU!
Lol, when I do go into a corner too fast I'm thinking OH CRAP OH CRAP OH CRAP OH CRAP..... Somehow my right wrist twists a bit more and I make it out OK...

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:13 PM   #35
backinthesaddleagain

^^^ oh yeah me too, well the oh crap part

Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:57 PM   #36
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
That always seems crazy to me. My uncle tore all the ligaments in his knee (like, all the 'CLs) when he put his foot down to keep from falling sideways when doing a wheely on a dirtbike at maybe 15MPH. Like, most all of the tendons are some kind of rope now. I can't understand the logic in trying to brace a 300lb machine at 50mph with your human leg, lol.
the first time I did put my foot down to corner faster was just yesterday and almost purely out of reflex. i took the bike out around the block for a very small ride. the tires were cold and the temp was around 3degC. i wanted to take a right turn at an residential intersection. i was coming in too fast and i was already in a lean for the turn and knew front brake would wipe me out. same with lean too much because tyres were no where close to approaching leanable temps. there was a car stopped on the other lane of the street i wanted to turn onto. but it somehow worked out. so, putting your inside foot down and dragging it does make for a tighter corner w/o as much lean.

instinct told me that my foot would dislocate and rip out seeing how i was wearing sneakers w/o ankle support. i need to get some riding boots and try this more often though.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:26 AM   #37
backinthesaddleagain

One reason I avoided the Hypermotard - I would be riding the bumpy backroads of Rhode Island with one foot down in every corner. When I first started riding the road I made a conscious effort to keep my feet on the pegs at all times (hard to do after riding dirtbikes since age 10 and now being in my forties), however I have only put foot out twice, in the situations above.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:23 AM   #38
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Quote:

Lean more?
Rear brake?
Engine brake?
Soft front brake?
Abandon bike and bail?
Pray?
Think all the above has worked, at one time or another
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM   #39
Listerineteeth
ninjette.org member

Name: Brendon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008

I remember when I was just starting out I had a 'enter corner too fast - going to hit a house' moment. Being so brand new to riding at the time I did the stupidest thing in the world and grabbed a handful of front brake. I wasn't too leaned over (I was just starting the turn) but enough to make me think 'STUPID STUPID STUPID'. Amazingly, no trouble, no locking up, the bike just slowed down and I made the turn.

Afterwards, I went through it a thousand times, and didn't ride for a week (knowing I could do something so stupid). Obviously it's the only time I've grabbed the front brake during a turn, (and now I know much better, thanks ninjette.org!) but am still amazed that the bike just slowed down, no fuss, no problem. It still puzzles the hell out of me. (in a 'oh look, I didn't crash. Now lets NEVER do that again!).

All the advice here is great, but just wanted to share my cornering 'moment' (and if anyone can explain why I didn't launch into the air or low/highside, it would be appreciated)
Listerineteeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:46 PM   #40
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab305 View Post
Never ever break! Lean lean lean, a low side is ALWAYS better than a high side.
It is ideal to not have to brake in the middle of a turn though sometimes it is unavoidable and there is a better way to do it than what most people do. However I have a question about your comment, you say never ever brake because a lowside is always better than a highside. How does a highside occur? Do you think that if you just get on the brakes mid corner you are going to highside the bike? Can you clarify please? Thanks!

Misti