ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 17th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Thief walking around with my keys.....

Some lowlife broke into my jeep and stole a handful of change and my motorcycle ignition/lock keys.

10 Blocks away from where the bike is parked overnight. Im so angry right now, I can barely type.

Anyone have any idea how expensive a new ignition is?

How much to have dealer do it anyone know?

Thanks any info will help.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #2
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

Might run out right quick and get some type of cable lock for wheels. Even with ignition key they wont be able to bypass chain/cable. My 2 cents.

I am assuming only 1 key for bike. If you have two keys *still have 1* you have more options. I would move bike inside...house, friends garage...etc till you can find a used ignition.

Old December 17th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #3
addy126
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

These "lowlifes" really do need to have their hands cut off and thrown to the wind.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #4
bigrodge8
Handsome Devil!!!

Name: Rodge

Motorcycle(s): 250R 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 Charcoal Silver

The suspect should have to watch as his children are dismembered in front of him and he is forced to cook and eat their shredded remains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bigrodge8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #5
Locksmiff
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrodge8 View Post
The suspect should have to watch as his children are dismembered in front of him and he is forced to cook and eat their shredded remains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats abit rediculous seeing as his children had nothing to do with it.

It would be like saying that if you cause a death from flakey driving that we should be able to watch your family be drawn and quatered from 4 x 4's because you drove like a flakey douchebag and got distracted while driving/riding for .5 of a second.

It doesn't take much to think before you type ????

I had my bike stolen which is a bit more then keys. I didn't wish anything as moronic as your reply on anyone. I thought:

"Every dog has their day, when their day comes I will be there"

not

"Feed me them littlerns nice and crispy"
Locksmiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2010, 02:08 AM   #6
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

haha... yeah, I think Rodge was a bit overly enthusiastic about his support for justice... Anyway, to answer your question...There are a few guys on here parting out their bike from what i remember... maybe you could snag that ignition and key for cheap...

Hope you speedily conclude this matter and get that peace of mind back ...
ninja3575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #7
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Are you worried about replacing the key or having the bike stolen?
If # 1 -Can't you get the key code from the dealer since this is a 2010 bike and have a new key made either by them or from a locksmith? And many a locksmith can "read" the lock tumblers and make a new key. On my 2006 the key code was stamped into the back of the helmet lock and I had no trouble with a locksmith making new keys.
If # 2 - you are worried about him coming back and stealing your bike, first off - he has to know who you are and where you live, and you can secure the bike with a heavy chain, and it would be cheaper to put in an alarm instead of changing the ignition switch. Maybe you could catch the guy then if he came back after the bike. And if the bike were stolen, that's why you have insurance.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #8
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrodge8 View Post
And recorded for my entertainment.

Old December 18th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #9
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

The key code is stamped on the ignition. Buy a new set (ignition and cowl).
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #10
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Im getting a new chain today, the keys were stolen late last night so I couldn't really do much but watch the bike all night.

The keys were taken about 10 blocks from were bike is, and I could easily be followed home (lots of traffic).

I'm thinking of just getting a new monster lock, Im super broke, cant afford new ignition right now.

As far as his children, my local south florida forum members had infinitely more creative solutions. (although that is pretty sick, get some therapy dude, lol)

Old December 18th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #11
chokne
I name everything

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Eva

Aw that sucks dude. sorry to hear... my car got broken into a few years ago and i just felt violated...

and now to worry about having something else taken, ugh. hopefully, the guy is not smart enough to realize what the key is for, although the big K doesn't help.

hope it gets resolved soon

Old December 18th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #12
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

If somebody wants to steal your bike, they can do it with or without the key. Having the key just makes it a little easier than picking it up and carting it away. If you are worried, get the monster lock and chain it up to something.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #13
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Least cost approach to getting it re-keyed is to remove the locks and take them to a lock smith and have him or her rekey the locks. The ignition will take some work to remove, the rest of the locks are fairly straightforward.

As to the risk of theft, it could be high if they were casing you to establish what bike the keys went to, or it would be very low unless yours was the only motorcycle in your city.

All the thefts I've heard about were just snatch and grabs, two guys hoist the bike into the back of a pickup or, around here, into a van. The thieves could care less about the keys.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #14
lotusseven
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 81 Yamaha 550 Maxim , 52 Allstate , 81 Kawasaki AR50, Kawasaki Ninja 250 , Honda 250 Nighthawk

Swap tumblers

Instead of buying a new lockset , Swap tumbers - Pretty easy . I've done it a couple of times to make the gascap seatlock and ignition all match . Blank keys were $4 from my dealer . If you can figure out how to adjust valves you can take apart the ignition lock. Catch is you do need to remove the cylinder . Either with your extra key or picking . Picking is pretty easy with a piece of piano wire with the very end bent at a 90 and a screwdriver . Applying torque in the clockwise direction and clicking the tumbers one at a time will free the cylinder then a eyeglass screwdriver releasing the retainer allows the tumber to pop out . Simply grab the tumbler and pull with tweezers or needle nose and swap be careful not to lose the spring !! . Recut/file your blank so the tumblers are flush with the master cylinder and reinsert the cylinder and snap the retainer in place .
lotusseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #15
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Frankly I wouldn't doubt if he thought those keys were infact for the Jeep. Broke in tried em then just ran off. He may have seen someone coming through deciding to run with what he had in hand. I doubt he would figure out the "letter K" had any significance what so ever.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #16
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Wow. You must be in a rough neighborhood. Didn't someone break your bike and steal your battery a couple of months ago? Whoever it is I hope they catch them.

The ignition switch by itself is a little over $101.00. The whole set is (ign., gas cap, seat lock) is about $250.00. replacement bolts and washers about $8.00.

You have to remove the top fork clamp and drill out the two screws that hold the switch in place. Left hand bits or and extractor will drill and unscrew the bolts. Then it is just a mater of replacing the switch.

The dealer will charge you whatever the labor rate is for a hour.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #17
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Yeah South Florida is notorious for bike thefts. Since i posted this. 2 complete bikes have been stolen on my local forum and my buddy had someone go under his cover and steal all the plastic from his R1 (didn't even notice till he took off cover)

Criminals are everywhere, please be careful and let the popos handle it. Vigilantes only live long in comic books.