ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:02 PM   #1
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

True Waterproof Boots & Gloves?

Hi guys,

Its riding season soon here in Michigan!

So that brings me to ask you guys, what are True "Waterproof" Boots & Gloves?

Im talking about riding up north on I-75 in Pooring Rain for 3 Hours ... my Feet & Hands Still being dry once i get to my Cousins house???

What Gloves and Boots Truely perform like that?

I have ...
Alpinestars Drystar Glove (red/black) "Waterproof" $59
Teknic Highway Glove (black) "Waterproof" $45
Icon Accelerant Riding Boot (red/black) "Waterproof" $90

and after riding in ALOT of Light, Med, Heavy Rain last Season. From 30mins up to 3 hours constant rain, with sleeves properly pulled over, zipped, etc.

Ive still gotten Wet Hands and Feet!!!

So besides wearing Latex Gloves to keep my hands & feet Dry.... what " GREAT RAIN GEAR " have you guys used and are they Truely Waterproof???

I DONT like those Rubber/plastic Rain Suits! Baggy, ****** fitting, etc... I CANT wear one of those type of suits!

Aside from a Rain Suit... what Works Truely Great in the Rain???

Reason for True Waterproof gear is, this season im going to be Riding my Ninja 99% of the time for Everything, No Matter the Weather (Spring,Summer,Fall)

As my Car is 16 years old, and i need too keep miles off it, so it will serve me as my Winter Vehicle! Im too Poor to afford a New or Newer Car, so...

- Thanks SN
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:14 PM   #2
jcgirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jenn

Motorcycle(s): Bot

Hey,
I have these boots and even after taking my bike to car wash, (the coin operated one) my toes are still completely dry.

http://www.bikersdirect.co.uk/TCX-Ex...Tex_AKGW6.aspx
jcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:09 PM   #3
ScorpionNinja

Those are nice boots, kinda pricey, like $199
So your only "Waterproof" Testing was getting water on your toes washing your bike?

I dont mean to sound like a dick for saying that, but im curious as to if you rode in them under pretty harsh rain conditions like i have, your Feet still BONE DRY?

by all means, update your rain-riding exp with them later on!

Im looking to buy a pair True "Waterproof" Motorcycle Boots & Gloves, Soon for this Season!

anyhow, i've asked the guys at STG.com for their exp in Rain, but lol.. most of them Dont ride in the rain,etc! their only the "Fair-weather" type riders.
Brain Van thought i was crazy for riding up there Late Oct. 09 to buy afew things! It was light rain, 39 degrees that day!

So yea... ive yet to find any real good reviews or such about the Gear i seek!

Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Have a friend who lives in Maryland and he swears by Tourmaster Boots--$119US and Tourmaster gloves--don`t know the price. Am looking into them because everytime it rains, I do a great impersonation of a drowned rat.

Last futzed with by Sailariel; March 3rd, 2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Had to correct punctuation.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM   #5
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Jenn, Checked out your link---Look very similar to the Tourmasters. Thanks. Will check them out.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:24 PM   #6
ScorpionNinja

Tourmaster... hmmm those guys make Tank bags, saddle bags too, if i remb?

Ill have to look into their boot/glove gear!!!

Oh, i didnt mention... but as for my Jacket, Scorpion Hat-Trick, great jacket!
It kept me warm, dry... love it!

If you noticed though, hat-trick doesnt have a 'storm-collar' so after 3 hours of highway riding in a med/heavy rain storm to my cousins house, once i got to her house my shirts neck collar was a Tad Damp. Thats due to the jackets collar being very low cut. Also for the same reason of the low cut collar on the jacket, it allows the COLD AIR to sting your neck/adams apple.

Thats where your "Cold killers Hoodie" comes into play! It did a awesome job of blocking the Wind, cut down wind noise in my Exo-700 Helm!

So back to the Storm collar thing... on Scorpions XDR heavy jackets... they have those high Storm collars, from what i could imagine, wouldnt allow NO water to mist down and around your Neck/shirts collar!

i forgot to mention a Budget Price. About $100 each pair, so about $200-$250 for New boots/gloves that totally are "waterproof"

Sidenote: My Teknic gloves & Alpinestar Drystar gloves, worked very well for keeping my Hands, Fingers, Wrists Warm!

Of the 2, i would have to place the Alpinestars BETTER!

Thing about riding in the cold 45-37 degree days, no matter how great the Grams of Thinsulte is (100g+)
Only Heated hand grips (BMWs) or plug in electric Heated Gear will Truely keep ya Warm in those temps!

(im just guessing on that, about the Heated gear, as ive rode in Michigan to the Coldest point, where temps,without snow, without icey glaze on the roads, i could ride warm and safest!)

Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:03 PM   #7
jcgirl
ninjette.org guru

you've obviously never seen me try to wash a bike with a power sprayer...

But i've riden in every kind of weather (not snow, cause thats just crazy) and all the great west coast rain. Toes still dry and just as important, warm too. They are a little pricey, but they are also super comfy. When I went to Vancouver last weekend, I wore these for 20 hours straight and walked all over the place, and my feet didn't hurt at all. AND.. they are plain enough that I can get away with wearing them to the office too.

Good luck in your seach!! If you can find these on clearance anywhere I would totally recommend.

Old March 4th, 2010, 06:46 AM   #8
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

jcgirl where did you get your boots? The link you gave is in the UK. I'm also in Canada and keeping an eye open for waterproof boots that are warm.

Old March 4th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #9
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Well...I'm not sure about actual "waterproof"...but the Dainese Torque's I have are pretty damn water resistant! I rode through a rain storm once and the only dry body part I had were my feet. I don't think this was an actual design feature that they implemented into the boot. More of an indirect consequence of how they put it together....but I was riding around in the torrential wet stuff for a good 40 minutes without getting my feet wet. I'm fairly confident they'll hold up to anything provided you don't go swimming in them.

Oh and don't get the perforated ones haha.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #10
jcgirl
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
jcgirl where did you get your boots? The link you gave is in the UK. I'm also in Canada and keeping an eye open for waterproof boots that are warm.
I got mine at a local shop.

http://www.adrenalinmotorcycle.com/

I'll keep an eye out if I see them online anywhere in North America.

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #11
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Joe rocket meteor are what I started with years ago, they're 100% waterproof, as are my current puma boots ^^
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #12
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I just found waterproof rain boot covers on motorcycle superstore for $28.79 with coupon code M340-RIGG. Looks goofy but for that price i would try them.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...vid=1587854414

Old March 14th, 2010, 01:37 AM   #13
tltb26
" T "

Name: Tina

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I have Speed and Strength Hell 'n Back gloves (Men's gloves). I've worn them in short downpours and light extended showers and my hands have stayed dry. What cracked me up is that I decided to wash them a few days ago so I dunked them in some water w/light & diluted Tide detergent & when I pulled them out, it was ballooned up & filled with water. I held it up for a couple minutes & it did not seem like the water was draining, maybe a real slight seep...I had to flip it over to spill the water out of it. It took several days for the inside liner to dry but it smells good again and it's clean!

Old March 14th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #14
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I've been using a pair of Rev'it! Unix H20 gloves for about 8 months and have been very pleased with their waterproofing. The thermal insulation isn't as awesome as I was hoping (does fine until you're riding about 38F for extended periods) but my hands haven't gotten wet yet, including several unexpected downpours and a couple of 80mi+ rain rides

Old March 14th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #15
Seanslides
Canyon Racer

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 09 GSXR600, 03 EX250

In short: Basically nothing you can buy off the shelf is waterproof. Well, cheesy rain suits are, but that's no fun.

My Astars Apex gloves are 99% waterproof, but the still end up weighing five pounds each, and they take forever to dry out. Same deal with my jackets and pants. After getting sick of riding home from work in gear that weighed a zillion pounds and didn't keep me warm, I decided to look for a solution.

Here's what you need: Nikwax is your friend. Buy a ton of it, and use it on everything. This **** works. TX direct on your jacket, then use Cotton Proof. Glove proof on the gloves, and their aqueous wax on your boots. If you so desired, you could even waterproof all your leather with this stuff. It's that good.
Seanslides is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #16
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

These boots are waterproof:

http://www.newenough.com/street/boot...cle_boots.html

g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote