ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 17th, 2016, 08:34 AM   #1
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250

Question about stock exhaust

My 2007 ninja 250 came with a 2 brothers slip on exhaust. I think it's too loud, so I want to trade it for a stock exhaust. How is the stock exhaust mounted on the bike? Is it welded on so you just cut it off then slip in the aftermarket? The guy who wants to trade has a concourse 1000 and said those pipes will work, but I dont want to have to fabricate mounts for it. I wouldnt mind welding on some pipes, but dont want to have to reloate mounts. Also, IDK if the header pipes are stock or not. They look to be stainlees steel all the way from the head with an H pipe linking them right after the heads. Anybody know if the concourse 1000 exhaust is similar to the 250 stock exhaust? Any info would be greatly appreciated...
sickopsycho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2016, 09:18 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I can't imagine the tube diameters and length being the same between the two bikes, and those both matter a lot for tuning.

But the obvious answer might be that if your pregen came with a 2-1 exhaust system, nothing is stock. Maybe a quiet slip-on or modifications to the Two Brothers muffler would do what you want. You might even try calling them to see if they offer anything like a "dB Killer" as on option that can be added to your muffler.

Stock head pipes have a crossover in front of the engine below crankshaft level, and they extend to about the oil sight glass, where the two mufflers clamp on to them. The head pipe assembly is one welded piece.

If you want quiet and go to a stock system, be aware that the mufflers have four rivets in the rear plate, outside of the center exhaust hole. A common mod is to drill out these rivets, making the system louder. Mine came that way, and I hated the Briggs and Stratton lawn mower type sound it made at low speed, so I drilled and tapped the four holes, and put button-head stainless screws in them. I love the quietness.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2016, 09:21 AM   #3
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I can't imagine the tube diameters and length being the same between the two bikes, and those both matter a lot for tuning.

But the obvious answer might be that if your pregen came with a 2-1 exhaust system, nothing is stock. Maybe a quiet slip-on or modifications to the Two Brothers muffler would do what you want. You might even try calling them to see if they offer anything like a "dB Killer" as on option that can be added to your muffler.
Thats kind of what I was thinking. I have a dual exhaust with a small h pip connecting the two right at the headers. So its 2 mufflers. I was just wondering about the stock exhaust- you have to cut it off (and weld it on if you're putting it back) or what? My slip on 2 brothers exhaust has leakage at the front of the mufflers, so when I unbolt it from the chasis it seems like it would simply "slip off".

Old October 17th, 2016, 09:36 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

g
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickopsycho View Post
Thats kind of what I was thinking. I have a dual exhaust with a small h pip connecting the two right at the headers. So its 2 mufflers. I was just wondering about the stock exhaust- you have to cut it off (and weld it on if you're putting it back) or what? My slip on 2 brothers exhaust has leakage at the front of the mufflers, so when I unbolt it from the chasis it seems like it would simply "slip off".
Are you saying you have a dual system with Two Brothers mufflers? A good photo would help me understand what you have now.

As I said, the stock head pipes go back to about where the oil sight glass is. The stock mufflers clamp to the head pipes. They have some more exhaust pipe as part of their front ends, so the actual mufflers start back from their attachment point. To remove the mufflers, nothing has to be cut. That's not to say that no one cut your system, but you don't have to cut anything to get the mufflers off.

Old October 17th, 2016, 09:45 AM   #5
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
g

Are you saying you have a dual system with Two Brothers mufflers? A good photo would help me understand what you have now.

As I said, the stock head pipes go back to about where the oil sight glass is. The stock mufflers clamp to the head pipes. They have some more exhaust pipe as part of their front ends, so the actual mufflers start back from their attachment point. To remove the mufflers, nothing has to be cut. That's not to say that no one cut your system, but you don't have to cut anything to get the mufflers off.
http://www.revzilla.com/product/two-...fy7hoCYXfw_wcB

This is the setup that I have. I know these pipes will come right off, I just dont know how I'm gonna get the stock pipes back on. I wouldn't mind just buyng a used set of stock pipes, as I may want to put the 2 brothers back on after a while. Right now though, they are just too loud. An alternative would be if there was a silencer or something I can slide inside the pipes to give them some baffles or something...
I think you're right, though, the liter bike probably has larger pipes and I definately dont want to have to fabricate new mounts on the frame...
I had put a listing on craigslist for a straight trade for stock pipes, and the only response I've gotten so far was a guy with a concourse 1000...

Old October 17th, 2016, 10:49 AM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
@sickopsycho

I have a nice pair of OEM slip ons in black I never used, I went with chrome instead.

I can bring them with me and we can swap them out, if your game.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2016, 10:52 AM   #7
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
@sickopsycho

I have a nice pair of OEM slip ons in black I never used, I went with chrome instead.

I can bring them with me and we can swap them out, if your game.
Absolutely! When are you coming this way again? I'll go shoot some pics of the exhaust on my bike right now and post them here in a few.

Old October 17th, 2016, 10:56 AM   #8
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:
Absolutely! When are you coming this way again? I'll go shoot some pics of the exhaust on my bike right now and post them here in a few.
I'll be leaving ky sometime Saturday early morning, and I'll be in Bath for a week. Maybe I can,swing by on my way thru Saturday, or we can meet up during the week, my schedule is open.

I'll get some pictures of the slip ons tonight, and shoot you a PM.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old October 17th, 2016, 11:07 AM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

The Two Brothers photo and description makes it sound like they attach exactly like stock mufflers, so my guess is that Ghostt's stock mufflers will return you to a stock system.

Old October 17th, 2016, 03:12 PM   #10
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
The Two Brothers photo and description makes it sound like they attach exactly like stock mufflers, so my guess is that Ghostt's stock mufflers will return you to a stock system.
Yeah- it seems like the exhaust has 3 parts. The headers that do down under the bike, then a pair or downtubes that seem to have a compression fitting or something. This fitting is more or less under the pegs. That tube goes back to the cans, but in my bike the cans are mounted to the frame but not permenantly attached to the tubes. In other words, I can feel exhaust coming out of the front of the muffler and wiggle the muffler a bit without the exhaust pipe moving. The mufflers *seem* to mount on the frame in the same location as the stock exhaust.
I'm kind of on the fence about trading the mufflers. I honestly like the loud exhaust. It sounds pretty cool, but mostly I'm hoping that it'll make me more "visible" on the road if people can hear my bike. Anything helps, right? On the other hand, I have neighbors and with this going to be my daily driver- I dont want them to start hating me. I'm gonna have a chat with @Ghostt and figure it out. I can always come back to them later, I suppose.

Old October 17th, 2016, 03:43 PM   #11
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Yeah- it seems like the exhaust has 3 parts. The headers that do down under the bike, then a pair or downtubes that seem to have a compression fitting or something. This fitting is more or less under the pegs. That tube goes back to the cans, but in my bike the cans are mounted to the frame but not permenantly attached to the tubes. In other words, I can feel exhaust coming out of the front of the muffler and wiggle the muffler a bit without the exhaust pipe moving. The mufflers *seem* to mount on the frame in the same location as the stock exhaust.
I'm kind of on the fence about trading the mufflers. I honestly like the loud exhaust. It sounds pretty cool, but mostly I'm hoping that it'll make me more "visible" on the road if people can hear my bike. Anything helps, right? On the other hand, I have neighbors and with this going to be my daily driver- I dont want them to start hating me. I'm gonna have a chat with @Ghostt and figure it out. I can always come back to them later, I suppose.
PM reply with pictures.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old October 17th, 2016, 03:58 PM   #12
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I'm still not sure what your system looks like. The stock system has only two joints in it, and they are where the muffler assemblies clamp to the head pipe assembly. There is no joint at the front of the mufflers, but rather they weld to some pipes that curve inward under the foot peg area and meet the head pipe assembly. It's looking like the 2brs system makes you saw off the pipes at the front of the mufflers so theirs can clamp to it. But you'll be fine if you use Ghostt's mufflers because they'll be the welded assemblies that clamp to the head pipe assembly directly.

I think noise is overrated as a safety feature. The only time it helps cars know you're there is on a multi-lane highway when they're next to you. It doesn't help keep cars from turning left in front of you, or from pulling out of a driveway in front of you, or help any other time drivers don't see you. It does cause anti-noise legislation to be created and enforced. It also tends to cover up noises that might have let you know something on the bike needs attention.

Here's a photo of a left stock muffler I swiped off eBay:

Old October 17th, 2016, 04:01 PM   #13
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
I'm still not sure what your system looks like. The stock system has only two joints in it, and they are where the muffler assemblies clamp to the head pipe assembly. There is no joint at the front of the mufflers, but rather they weld to some pipes that curve inward under the foot peg area and meet the head pipe assembly. It's looking like the 2brs system makes you saw off the pipes at the front of the mufflers so theirs can clamp to it. But you'll be fine if you use Ghostt's mufflers because they'll be the welded assemblies that clamp to the head pipe assembly directly.

I think noise is overrated as a safety feature. The only time it helps cars know you're there is on a multi-lane highway when they're next to you. It doesn't help keep cars from turning left in front of you, or from pulling out of a driveway in front of you, or help any other time drivers don't see you. It does cause anti-noise legislation to be created and enforced. It also tends to cover up noises that might have let you know something on the bike needs attention.
See if this helps... Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly.

https://imgur.com/a/ZoK7H
The first joint is actually right under the lower front fairing, maybe 8" in front of the pegs. I think the cans came with a pipe to attach there because youre right, the stock pipes are welded where they connect to the muffler. The 2brs allows you to unbolt at the joint the put their "down tubes" then the cans, I think.

Old October 17th, 2016, 04:28 PM   #14
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Sure looks like the pieces of chrome plated exhaust pipe that were originally welded to the stock mufflers, complete with the patina of time.

Old October 17th, 2016, 04:35 PM   #15
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
Sure looks like the pieces of chrome plated exhaust pipe that were originally welded to the stock mufflers, complete with the patina of time.
And it sure could be- but what it looks like is if I get a stock set I can remove the cut pieces and it'll more or less bolt right up. That's what I was mostly curious about, I don't wanna fab up something cause my bike was modded. Thanks for the info, Jim!

Old October 17th, 2016, 04:43 PM   #16
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

OK, I just looked at the instructions on the 2bros site, and you're right, new tubes come with their mufflers.

http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/...904xD_Inst.pdf

But like I said, if you get two stock mufflers, they'll clamp to the stock head pipe assembly, so there's nothing to worry about.

Old October 17th, 2016, 05:39 PM   #17
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
OK, I just looked at the instructions on the 2bros site, and you're right, new tubes come with their mufflers.

http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/...904xD_Inst.pdf

But like I said, if you get two stock mufflers, they'll clamp to the stock head pipe assembly, so there's nothing to worry about.
Nice, that's kinda what I was thinking. Thanks again, Jim!

Old October 18th, 2016, 12:20 PM   #18
sp3ak
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Do you have plans for the Two Bro's after you take it off or you already have something locked up with Mr. Ghost? I know that this exhaust is really loud but I still may be interested in trying to work something out with you (I have a 2006 with a stock exhaust in chrome). I'm actually in South Durham so would you be interested in meeting up so I could hear it before you take it off?
sp3ak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2016, 06:38 PM   #19
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
......... I may want to put the 2 brothers back on after a while. Right now though, they are just too loud. An alternative would be if there was a silencer or something I can slide inside the pipes to give them some baffles or something......
Just an idea:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=252000
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2016, 06:54 PM   #20
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Excellent info, @Motofool! I was thinking of getting one of those cheap baffle inserts to put inside, as I'm not sure my muffler can be dismantled. I think it is riveted or welded shut, but I'll take a look tomorrow. Thanks for the link, it is making the wheels in my head turn

Old October 18th, 2016, 09:04 PM   #21
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

In post #2 of this thread, I mentioned calling Two Brothers Racing to see if they offer some sort of insert to make your system quieter. I don't know if they do, but I still think it's worth asking.

Old October 31st, 2016, 08:08 PM   #22
eulark
ninjette.org member

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Blue Ninja 250, 98 ZX6E, 06 ZX636

If you want to come down to wilmington, you can have my stock pipes. I've kept them thinking I may put them back on, but nah.
eulark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2016, 08:12 PM   #23
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulark View Post
If you want to come down to wilmington, you can have my stock pipes. I've kept them thinking I may put them back on, but nah.
Hey! That's perfect you are THE MAN! I am actually coming to Wilmington this weekend, I have family there and I used to live there. I'll be heading near Oleander and the mall there, but I can come meet you anywhere. That would be perfect and I would greatly appreciate it. Maybe I'll owe you a valve job or something... At the very least I'll buy you a beer.

Old November 20th, 2016, 08:55 PM   #24
Petrolh34d
ninjette.org member

Name: Kamil

Motorcycle(s): 2004 ninja ex250, 1996 Honda cbr900rr

Damn. I'd love the exhaust if I was closer. Hard to find a 2-1
Petrolh34d is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2016, 03:45 PM   #25
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

You can make your own DB killer insert or buy one off the bay.

As a point of reference, the stock headers are double walled mild steel, the OD is 31mm the ID is 26mm. You can fit any silencer that will fit in place, but you need to deal with the carburation changes that may result.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote