ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 9th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #1
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Ordering OEM parts?

So, I know of a ton of places that I can order the OEM parts I need, but they all want anywhere from $7-20 to ship it. I could understand if I was ordering a large/heavy item, or if I wanted it next day air, but it's just a nut that I need, and seems that it could easily be mailed for less than a dollar. They don't really weigh anything! Is there a particular place I can order what I need and pay based on weight or at least get a less expensive option?
goldfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #2
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Which part are you looking for specifically? There are plenty of places that sell replacement hardware that isn't necessarily intended for use on motorcycles but is a heck of a lot stronger than the soft OEM hardware kawasaki uses.

I've even gotten nuts and bolts from the local TrueValue or Lowes and have never had problems.
slickt0mmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #3
tc.young
ninjette.org member

Name: tom

Motorcycle(s): '89 klr 650, '00 250r

home depot has a decent metric selection.

so does pep-boys. autozone is hit or miss. advance autoparts isn't bad either.
tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #4
goldfox
ninjette.org member

It's part number 92015-1180. It's a flanged nut which holds the two lower engine mounting bolts on.

Old July 9th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #5
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

I actually had to replace one of those myself when I first bought my bike. That's one that I bought from TrueValue, but I'm sure HomeDepot would have it as well. If you're unsure of the size, take the bolt off the bike and bring it with you to the store.

Old July 9th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #6
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Yeah, I suppose that can't hurt to do, though I'll have to take the shifter and front sprocket cover off again, hah!

Just found a quote regarding doing exactly this over on that 250 wiki, which will help a lot.

"Should you be looking for one at your local hardware store, you need size M10-1.25, which is 10mm with a pitch of 1.25."

Old July 9th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #7
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Haha that 250 wiki page has saved my tail many times when working on my bike. That and youtube videos

Old July 10th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #8
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the suggestion to check a hardware store instead of just blindly ordering OEM. I don't mind OEM part pricing, but that shipping was killer for such a small order!

I found the nuts that I needed, the M10-1.25's and picked a couple up. They're silver instead of black, but the more important thing is the bike is being held together now, hah! Thank god the bolts are unable to fall out without removing other parts of the bike!

I also picked up a tube of red thread locker that the wiki page I got the nut measurements off of mentioned.

It was a pain in the butt to get the bolts back in place. The top bolt only slid through the mounting holes when the bike was on the center stand and the bottom one only if it was not on a stand at all and I was sitting in the seat (that was a fun one to ratchet, hah!). I ended up having to remove the lower fairing, the side stand, the lower fairing mounting arms, the front sprocket cover, the shift armature, and the right side fairing in order to get the ratchet on both sides of the nut and bolt, but it wasn't too difficult.

I noticed when removing the side stand bolts that there was a lot of red gunk that came out with the threads, which indicated that the red thread sealer was used on those previously. The engine mount bolt threads had absolutely zero red blue or green anything on them, which makes me think that whoever last put those nuts on there (at some point before I bought the bike) didn't use any at all - but I'm not sure how long the nuts were missing, so I guess it could have all worn away over time.

Video of my discovery, just before I went and found out exactly what the bolts were (as a new cyclist, I guessed they were some kind of engine-to-frame mounts, but didn't know until I went looking at the fiche):

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 10th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #9
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfox View Post
It was a pain in the butt to get the bolts back in place. The top bolt only slid through the mounting holes when the bike was on the center stand and the bottom one only if it was not on a stand at all and I was sitting in the seat (that was a fun one to ratchet, hah!). I ended up having to remove the lower fairing, the side stand, the lower fairing mounting arms, the front sprocket cover, the shift armature, and the right side fairing in order to get the ratchet on both sides of the nut and bolt, but it wasn't too difficult.

I noticed when removing the side stand bolts that there was a lot of red gunk that came out with the threads, which indicated that the red thread sealer was used on those previously. The engine mount bolt threads had absolutely zero red blue or green anything on them, which makes me think that whoever last put those nuts on there (at some point before I bought the bike) didn't use any at all - but I'm not sure how long the nuts were missing, so I guess it could have all worn away over time.

Video of my discovery, just before I went and found out exactly what the bolts were (as a new rider, I guessed they were some kind of engine-to-frame mounts, but didn't know until I went looking at the fiche):
They don't put red loctite on the engine mount bolts, they save that expensive stuff for things like the bar ends!

As you know by now, the engine is very buzzy and will eventually dump the nuts unless you are vigilant about retightening them periodically. I would advise you to check the rest of the engine mounting bolts while you are at it. You could also use the nuts with the locking mechanisms from the center stand and a spare washer instead of the flanged nut that always gets vibrated off. Or just loctite.

A wobble extension or a universal might have saved you the trouble of removing the sprocket cover. And I have heard Partzilla.com will send small things really cheaply. I just ordered some knick knacks from them so I will see if that is actually true.

Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #10
corralhollowkid
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 07' Ninja 250r

am i the only one who noticed the ninjette in the video seems to have no oil visible in the sight window?
corralhollowkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2013, 03:30 AM   #11
goldfox
ninjette.org member

@corralhollowkid I know it appears that way, but when it's on the ground, it's exactly between the tick marks. Up on the center stand, it drops just below the bottom mark.

Old July 11th, 2013, 05:10 AM   #12
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Yeah, shipping is always a bear when you just need some bolts/washers/nuts and such

Glad you worked it out, for anyone who stumbles across this thread later my usual source list is:
1. Hardware Store
2. Local Dealer (gag)
3. partzilla for small orders (they're the best I've found for shipping cost)
4. Mrcycles for big orders (best prices)
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #13
goldfox
ninjette.org member

My nearest dealer is a good 45 minute highway drive away, sadly. I haven't heard of Mr Cycles. I'll add it to my list of places too, thanks.