ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old February 11th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #1
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2013 600RR, 2009 250r

Pants Input

I'm having some trouble finding some riding pants. Most people, me included, get the jacket, gloves and boots as their first gear purchase. (helmet should be a given.) What I have thought about since beginning to ride last year is that pants are probably more important because like skateboarding or bike riding, the knee is what hits first. Shoulder armor in my leather jacket isn't gonna do a darn thing to help that. Therefore, after being lucky to not hit the ground yet I decided that I will not ride again until I have proper pants.
The problem;
I am an internet searcher to the max. I look up every option and try to make the best decision from that. Pants have really been a big issue. My needs are to absolutely without any question have knee armor. Period. Hip armor is usually associated with knee and I want that too. I know leather is better, but I would be okay with a high quality textile. Mesh is out. The issue is that I find full on race pants with knee pucks and the whole deal or I find textile overpants that are basically just for abrasion resistance. Kinda extreme or nothing.
I have seen some pants like the Spidi Hurricane, A* A-10 and Dianese Drake Airs that seem okay but I have no personal input. I'm looking at approximately $300 or so.
Thanks for any input. Not looking for a direct answer, but maybe just a push in the right direction.
Spring is almost here!
Mike
Dredgshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #2
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

In the what's everyone wearing for pants thread the AGV Sport Willow are a fairly popular, relatively low cost, leather pant. They're less than $200, and come in perforated or non-perforated versions. I have a pair myself. Like you, I don't find the knee pucks necessary at this point. I decided having the pucks wasn't a big deal, even though I'm not planning to use them any time soon.

If you're extremely anti knee puck you could just remove them; usually they're stuck on with velcro. I think the more protective leather pants are going to be more race oriented, so finding a nice protective pair of leather pants without pucks might not be very easy (as you've discovered).
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #3
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2013 600RR, 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb502 View Post
In the what's everyone wearing for pants thread the AGV Sport Willow are a fairly popular, relatively low cost, leather pant. They're less than $200, and come in perforated or non-perforated versions. I have a pair myself. Like you, I don't find the knee pucks necessary at this point. I decided having the pucks wasn't a big deal, even though I'm not planning to use them any time soon.

If you're extremely anti knee puck you could just remove them; usually they're stuck on with velcro. I think the more protective leather pants are going to be more race oriented, so finding a nice protective pair of leather pants without pucks might not be very easy (as you've discovered).
I forgot about those from when I browsed previously. Great suggestion! I am not anti knee puck, it was just an example of how you have race pants or casuals and I'd like a middle ground. Off to look at those.
Thanks
Dredgshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #4
Yarhj
ninjette.org member

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (2001)

After a parking lot drop in which I was wearing jeans, I decided to get a used Aerositch Roadcrafter off of ebay, which has been fantastic. Aerostich also sells a two-piece version of the Roadcrafter, so you might be able to find some used Roadcrafter or Darien pants for (relatively) cheap!
Yarhj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #5
CaptainPlatypus
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '86 Honda VFR700

At this point I just use kevlar jeans and/or leather chaps, with separate knee armor to protect against impacts. Not an ideal solution, but an extremely budget-friendly one. Dunno if you're as willing to futz around with multiple pieces of gear as I am, but when I'm already putting on earplugs, helmet, jacket, and gloves, tossing on a couple of knee guards ain't the end of the world.
CaptainPlatypus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #6
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

I'm confused...you are looking for leathers (or textile) with knee and hip armor, but don't want "full on race pants." Do you see why that confuses me?

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #7
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I'd recommend RHOK jeans, from what I've heard they're super comfortable and convenient while still being protective. Currently I'm just using knee/shin guards which I leave in my backpack when I get places but down the line when the budget allows for it I'll be getting a pair or two of these jeans.

http://www.rhok.com.au/jeans.htm Reading it pretty much sells itself, made by motorcyclists for motorcyclists.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #8
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Icon hooligan overpants
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2014, 05:18 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
I'm confused...you are looking for leathers (or textile) with knee and hip armor, but don't want "full on race pants." Do you see why that confuses me?
Yeah, exactly.

Pants like the Willows (which are what I have) fall into that "full on race" category. They're snug, especially around the lower leg, and designed to fit inside your boots. They are definitely not styled like street clothes.

There's a reason for this. It's not fashion. It's so that the armor won't move if you go down. That's much of the point of wearing this stuff.

Street clothing (and motorcycle clothing styled to look like it) is relatively baggy. Assuming you don't wear armor on your body (e.g. strap-on knee protection, Bohn armored underwear) what's going to keep those pads in place?

You do know that the knee pucks come off right? They're just held on with Velcro.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote