ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:32 AM   #1
arbakken
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Clutch Sticks

I know it's a fairly common 'feature' of our bikes, but mine does it really badly. I can barely break the clutch loose without the help of the engine and 3000+ RPM. FWIW I have mobile 1 10w40 synthetic in it, and the bike has 4k miles.

How do I fix it? I took the clutch apart, cleaned it, and put it back together but it didn't help. Do I have to replace the clutch discs?

Thanks
arbakken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:25 PM   #2
kkim

how many miles since the last oil change and did you use a MC specific oil?

what's the ambient temp when you're having this problem? I assume once you "break" it free, it's good until the next cold start up?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:30 PM   #3
arbakken
ninjette.org newbie

i bought the bike at 2300 miles, and changed the oil at 3k miles. Its a little over 4k now. It has had the problem since I got it, and i heard synthetic would help, so I changed to mobile 1 10w40 synthetic (which is not energy conserving, so it should be good for MC use). In the past few weeks its been getting worse. Once it breaks free, it won't do it again until the next cold start (as soon as a couple hours) it does it at ambient temps from 50-95 (the only temps we've had)

Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:29 PM   #4
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

welcome to ninjette Alan! Did you notice anything funny about the oil when you changed it the first time?

Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:09 PM   #5
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Assuming you've checked at the end of the DIY for clutch cable replacement (how to adjust the cable http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16000) it's sounding like internal.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:20 PM   #6
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

My bike has a lot of trouble with this too. What I've found that fixes it (I think I read this on the other site ) is to hold in the clutch lever for about 10 to 15 seconds while it's running when you first start it. If that doesn't work, try a little longer. If it still doesn't work, I can't help you.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:48 PM   #7
krbreton
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): '97 Ninjette, '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbakken View Post
FWIW I have mobile 1 10w40 synthetic in it
If the clutch cable is adjusted, I would start suspecting that oil. Even non-energy conserving car oils contain things like moly, which may not be the greatest thing in a wet clutch system.

This is mostly anecdotal, but all of what I have read comes out against mobil 1 synthetics for wet clutch use. Most of what I read, however, suggests that the clutch will start slipping, not stick. Just to be on the safe side, and because it is so easy, try changing the oil again and put in a decent moto oil (Motul 10W40 Syn for example), to rule this out as the problem. I would suggest draining the current stuff, dumping about half a quart of the moto oil through the system to flush, and then refilling with the moto oil. Then see if the problem persists.

Good Luck.

-Kyle

Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:04 PM   #8
arbakken
ninjette.org newbie

it was doing it before the synthetic went it, I used synthetic to try and cure the problem, which didn't work. If replacing the clutch discs will fix the problem, i'd do that, but I'd hate to put $50 into it and not fix the problem.

BTW: this forum is WAY better than the "riders club"