Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old July 14th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #1
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Leathers

Ok, I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger on a one or two piece tracksuit (leaning toward the one piece). I'd like to toss out a few questions:

Hump or no hump? I understand that the speed hump is more of a safety thing than for aerodynamics is it worth bothering about?

Do you wear your tracksuit for everyday commuting/riding, just canyon carving, or track only?

How much does a suit stretch out? When fitting (off the rack, not custom) should the suit be really snug to the point of being just slightly difficult to zip up?

Thanks.

Last futzed with by JeffM; July 15th, 2010 at 10:04 AM.
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2010, 04:53 AM   #2
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I have a 2-piece leather A-star suit. I wouldn't want the hump personally. Maybe I'm wrong, but it always looks like it makes people a bit hunched over and wouldn't be as comfy on the back, but I'm shooting in the dark there and really don't know. I'm comfy in my regular leathers. I have heard the hump is more for speed, and really you're talking tenths of a second. So if you're not racing, I wouldn't worry with it, personally.
I wear my mesh gear on daily rides and my leathers up to the mountains or on REALLY long rides.
Mine is tight, particularly when sweating during my runs through the mountains. It did stretch out after I wore it several days, however, when it gets wet (or sweaty), it does seem to tighten up a bit. I learned that the hard way this past weekend when taking the twisties of Hwy 28 in the Smokies and we encountered a torrential downpour!
I hope this helps some! Ally

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #3
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 CBR600RR

From the research I have done... I believe the hump is a safety device.

It's helps spread the load across your back instead of your neck when falling off your bike landing upside down on your head/neck/shoulders.

How much track riding do you plan on doing?

I bought a VERY expensive 1 piece suit.. that I have yet find purpose to use on the street.

I get MANY funny looks while wearing a race suit, riding a 250... on the street :P.

Just like a baseball glove, a suit needs to be broken in. I wouldn't say it stretches TOOOO much... but it defiantly gets easier to move in the more you use it.

My suit fits me like a glove(skin tight)... so it also gives me an excuse to hit the gym
2005 CBR600RR - 2:19 Calabogie Motorsports Park, Ontario, Canada
binlagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #4
JeffM
Mr. 988

Quote:
How much track riding do you plan on doing?
Thinking of track days. However, I canyon ride very often and after trying on some leathers, they felt night and day safer than my textile gear.

On one hand I think who cares what I look like commuting but on the other, I'm pretty sure snickers and stares will come from the pirate crowd that seems to make up most of the riders in my area

Old July 15th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #5
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

I'm so thankful after my crash that i wore leather head to toe even tho it was hot , uncomfortable ,and joked about at times.
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #6
2WheelGuy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

I've only owned one-piece suits. I wear them on the track only. I've got lighter gear for the street. If I were to get a double-duty suit I would go for a two-piece design.

I personally don't like the humps. They were originally put on to aid aerodynamics but are more of a Bling item. Most of the time they are just additional bulk that just gets in the way. Some unzip to allow you to fill them with ice which could be nice for a hot race. Most off-the-rack suits come with humps these days so you don't have much choice in the matter.

Before you go suit shopping pick out a good back protector and take it with you when you try on suits. Most European sized suits will only fit the average American WITHOUT a back protector on. Make sure the suit you pick fits with a back protector.

Suits will stretch a little with wear but not much. I'd rather wear a snug suit than a loose one. I find off-the-rack suits difficult to zip and I am not a big guy. Just make sure it isn't so snug that it restricts your movement or breathing. Look for suits with lots of stretch panels if you are a difficult to fit size. Arlen Ness suits are good this way.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #7
motor32
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 1987 Kawasaki Concours --- 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Go for the one piece. The hump also just kinda gets in the way if you ever wear a backpack or a camelback. Wear what you will wear when you try them on. I went one size up. I wear my one piece until it gets in the low 80's. Above that, I'll switch to leather track pants and a mesh jacket. This is how I dress everytime out.
Things to consider also:

1. I wear bike-shorts and amored shorts under my leathers. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...de-Shorts.aspx

2. I also wear a back and chest protector vest under my leathers.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...c-SP-Vest.aspx

3. They should fit snug without being constrictive.

4. Most are perforated which is great for temps above 65, below that you'll want some extra room for wind/thermal liners.

5. Who cares how people look at you or what they think. Phuk them! Full leathers are the best protection in a crash.
motor32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #8
illrational
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Black '11 ZX-6R

Just my .02

I wear back protector only for close proximity rides to store gym around the county, but throw on my jacket and back protector for longer rides. i dont have any pants though

Old July 16th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #9
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

From what I understand, a one piece suit is more comfortable for railing around the track all day, and a bit safer. Two piece suit is more practical for me as I use the jacket for street duty as well some times.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #10
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
My 2-piece zips together (maybe they all do??) and I haven't had any complaints during any of our mountain camping trips. I've never gone to a track, however. I do enjoy being able to just unzip and take my jacket off when we stop and sight see.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #11
JeffM
Mr. 988

Thanks for all the replies, they really do help.

Jeff

Old July 20th, 2010, 04:39 AM   #12
gaby
ninjette.org member

Name: gabriela

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ninja zx6r and KLX140

I say go for a one piece suit if you are going to be using it on the track, my friend had a two piece suit and crashed at the track and the zipper got ripped off from the suit.
gaby is offline   Reply With Quote