ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 28th, 2010, 12:38 AM   #1
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Gas Tank Question...

I was looking at some spare parts on ebay and came across a ninja 250r gas tank ... From what i remembered, from my research prior to purchasing the 250r, the ninja 250r's sold outside the states had some differences in function (fuel injection) and gas capacity (Larger Tank). Anyway, the tank offered was one of these larger tanks and my question was if there would be some issue with fitting if I were to try and replace my tank with this larger tank... If anyone has some idea, please feel free to enlighten me... Thanks !!
ninja3575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #2
kkim

according to the service manuals, the US models have a 4.8 gal capacity while the euro bikes have a 4.7 gal capacity.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2010, 01:58 AM   #3
llenta
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Daytona 675 SE

Also one thing to keep in mind is that the California bikes have 3 hoses that come off the tank on the left hand side and the 49 state bikes have only 1. I'm not 100% sure about this but I do believe the California bikes have more emission crap strapped to them then the rest of them. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
llenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2010, 02:25 AM   #4
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
according to the service manuals, the US models have a 4.8 gal capacity while the euro bikes have a 4.7 gal capacity.
So much for my research Hmm.. well i heard it somewhere on some review and the tanks that are on those bikes have a distinct rear "hump" where you place your tank pad... while the versions here in the states have a more sloped tank... or maybe my eyes are going bad... at this age things just start breaking down

Old November 28th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #5
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Honda, Buell, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha

Different tanks but would probably work. Both same size. Check the ZZR250 (EX250-H) against the EX250-F for the difference. Tank locking gas cap in a different position also.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #6
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

makes sense... i suppose kawasaki would have differences be minimal in terms of appearance and match fitting.. to make the manufacturing process more streamlined... So here are a couple of pictures with those 250r's with the "bigger" tanks... these photos were found in the photo's thread here on ninjette...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 714667621_ZdSJc-L.jpg (131.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 939013882_jZLmo-L.jpg (173.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 799638357_AtfjG-L.jpg (188.5 KB, 18 views)

Old November 28th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #7
kkim

those are tank covers (installed w/ double sided tape) to protect the tank in the same way people install tank pads. they do nothing for increased gas capacity.

Old November 28th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #8
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

I think he is referring to how the slope at the rear of the tank itself is much steeper, hoping that this is the result of increased internal volume.

Old November 28th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #9
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
I think he is referring to how the slope at the rear of the tank itself is much steeper, hoping that this is the result of increased internal volume.
that's what I'm referring to.

Old November 28th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #10
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
Yup Yup... I just assumed that the steeper almost vertical portion of the rear of the tank also translated into a bigger tank and more gas... I can see how the Red/black bike has the large black tank pad... but the other two bikes do have a tank that is distinctly different from the tanks sold here in the states... I actually like that steeper vertical look to the rear portion of the tank... Is it really just a cover that you place entirely over the whole tank? Doesnt appear to be .. looks like an entirely different tank altogether...

Old November 28th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #11
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Kelly, looking at that green bike the slope at the rear of the tank is definitely different (steeper), and there is just a standard tank pad on it.

Old November 30th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #12
Ken08Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja3575 View Post
makes sense... i suppose kawasaki would have differences be minimal in terms of appearance and match fitting.. to make the manufacturing process more streamlined... So here are a couple of pictures with those 250r's with the "bigger" tanks... these photos were found in the photo's thread here on ninjette...
Those are one piece tank covers they go over your original tank.
Forum member ztrack157 (Matt) @ Sportisimoto USA can get them for you. http://www.sportisimoto-usa.com/products.php
Ken08Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #13
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Ooooh, well then I stand corrected. Kkim, I didn't think you meant the whole tank was covered, but rather something was stuck onto the rear of the tank, in place of a standard tank pad. My mistake!

Old December 1st, 2010, 01:07 PM   #14
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken08Ninja View Post
Those are one piece tank covers they go over your original tank.
Forum member ztrack157 (Matt) @ Sportisimoto USA can get them for you. http://www.sportisimoto-usa.com/products.php
Shame on me for slightly doubting kkim... Thanks Ken.. I'll go to their website and check it out !!

Old December 1st, 2010, 01:41 PM   #15
kkim

I looked on Matt's site and couldn't find the covers that he used to sell at one time. You might want to PM him and ask if they still bring those in.

Old December 1st, 2010, 01:50 PM   #16
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by llenta View Post
Also one thing to keep in mind is that the California bikes have 3 hoses that come off the tank on the left hand side and the 49 state bikes have only 1. I'm not 100% sure about this but I do believe the California bikes have more emission crap strapped to them then the rest of them. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
CA model has 3 hoses on the side. But that is unimportant if you are removing the Klein Air and other emissions equipment.

Old December 1st, 2010, 02:02 PM   #17
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Honda, Buell, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha

Google Targa motorcycle tank covers. There was a EX250 one available
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images-2.jpeg (6.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpeg images-1.jpeg (1.6 KB, 92 views)
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2010, 03:25 PM   #18
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
I looked on Matt's site and couldn't find the covers that he used to sell at one time. You might want to PM him and ask if they still bring those in.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...6&postcount=17
Pictures directly above the caption:
"KONDOM TANGKI w:535gram
fuel tank cover"

These aren't necessarily the same as Matt's, but there's a picture of the cover itself, and then one painted & installed on the bike. With that much cosmetic modification, I'd be very surprised to see the tank actually modified for increased capacity, which is more of a long-distance rider kind of mod, and an unusual one at that.

Regarding the Targa covers, all of the reviews I've seen said the ones for the new-gen 250s suck.

Old December 1st, 2010, 09:47 PM   #19
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...6&postcount=17
Pictures directly above the caption:
"KONDOM TANGKI w:535gram
fuel tank cover"

These aren't necessarily the same as Matt's, but there's a picture of the cover itself, and then one painted & installed on the bike. With that much cosmetic modification, I'd be very surprised to see the tank actually modified for increased capacity, which is more of a long-distance rider kind of mod, and an unusual one at that.

Regarding the Targa covers, all of the reviews I've seen said the ones for the new-gen 250s suck.
pic from linked thread...

Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:19 AM   #20
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Quote:
I'll definitely send him a PM and see if I cant get this itch scratched...

@ Momaru... I'll check out that thread and see if i can work something out there as well...

Thanks guys !!