ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 26th, 2016, 10:44 AM   #1
Cra1g
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS, 2007 Yamaha FZ6

Got the BCB Custom Mufflers..

After I replaced the stock mufflers with some Emgo Shorty mufflers a few weeks ago, I decided that the noise was just way too loud. It was pretty much straight piped with a little bit of baffling/packing, but not much. (Here's what it sounded like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LHoQgYI6p4)

So I ended up biting the bullet and spending $200 on Blue Collar Bobbers’ custom exhaust kit. They’re cheap Emgo mufflers, but with custom baffles installed on the inside by BCB.

Apparently they spent a lot of time and energy on the baffle design to make it louder and better sounding than the puny stock exhaust, but not so loud that it’s obnoxious. They also spent some time designing it to make sure that you wouldn’t need to rejet, although they mention that if you spend a lot of time on the highway at high RPMs, the stock exhaust might be better to stick to.

A peek inside the muffler at some of the baffling:

They also weld on new mounting points and even include custom mounting brackets that replace the rear pegs.

The kit comes with everything you need, aside from the tools, and the biggest thing you have to do is cut the pipe section off of the stock muffler. After that, though, installation takes 30 minutes tops.

My only gripe is that you definitely need some exhaust pipe sealer since the reducers don’t close up all the way. Unfortunately, the kit doesn’t come with it, so you’ll have to make a trip to the parts store to get some.

Also, the clearance on the right side comes really close to the swing arm. I’m not sure if the swing arm isn’t perfectly centered, or if the mounting bracket is just slightly bent inward. It clears the swing arm, but it’s really close.

As for the sound, it sounds exactly like the Emgo Shorties that I had on previously, but it’s significantly more muffled (thanks to the custom baffles). I’m no longer afraid of going over 7K RPMs out of fear that I’m pissing off everyone around me.

In the end, if you’re wanting the exhaust on the Ninja 250 to sound a bit meaner without spending a lot of money on aftermarket slip-ons, the BCB exhaust kit is one of the cheapest solutions to go. You could go with a full Muzzy exhaust, but you'd definitely have to rejet, and they're not really cheap unless you get lucky and find one for a great price.
Cra1g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2016, 08:38 PM   #2
Petrolh34d
ninjette.org member

Name: Kamil

Motorcycle(s): 2004 ninja ex250, 1996 Honda cbr900rr

Finally an actual review of these.
Petrolh34d is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2017, 12:44 AM   #3
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Name: Miguel

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX-250; several other years of the same

Great information - and write up!

Old July 14th, 2017, 06:29 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
My stock pregen's mufflers also come very close to the swing arm. The brackets are flimsy, and if they get bumped, I have to yank them back out where they belong so they don't rub. I suspect you can bend the bracket a little and get yours 1/4" or so away from the arm.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2017, 07:24 AM   #5
DirtyPelican
ninjette.org member

Name: Tiago

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Triumph Speed Triple

I just ordered their newer exhaust. The tips look like the Triumph Thruxton, I cant wait for them to come in and to hear them. Great review

Old July 14th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
BCB make top quality stuff, I have their Big Boy links, and they look amazing, easy to install, they even supplied the tool. Not only do they raise the rear up, it also helps the handling of the bike.

I'm always looking for a PreGen going dirt cheap so I can do the Cafe racer kit.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2017, 12:21 PM   #7
DirtyPelican
ninjette.org member

Name: Tiago

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
BCB make top quality stuff, I have their Big Boy links, and they look amazing, easy to install, they even supplied the tool. Not only do they raise the rear up, it also helps the handling of the bike.

I'm always looking for a PreGen going dirt cheap so I can do the Cafe racer kit.
I picked one up for $500, granted Ive put about $400 worth of parts and maintenance stuff. But I love having a bike I can take apart and learn. I took apart my forks yesterday and felt so accomplished. Now putting them back together will be another story.

Old July 14th, 2017, 05:58 PM   #8
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
BCB make top quality stuff, I have their Big Boy links, and they look amazing, easy to install, they even supplied the tool. Not only do they raise the rear up, it also helps the handling of the bike
Doesn't higher center of gravity = worse handling?
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2017, 06:21 PM   #9
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Doesn't higher center of gravity = worse handling?
No. It steepens the head angle and reduces trail. Aka, makes the bike quicker to respond to steering input so it feels sharper.

The rear only needs lifted 1/2" for noticeable change, 1" if you want to go a little higher. It's never been a stability issue for me at that height.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2017, 06:46 PM   #10
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
No. It steepens the head angle and reduces trail. Aka, makes the bike quicker to respond to steering input so it feels sharper.

The rear only needs lifted 1/2" for noticeable change, 1" if you want to go a little higher. It's never been a stability issue for me at that height.
Oh wow. I never knew about this stuff.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...explained.aspx

Very cool indeed
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #11
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
They raised the back of mine about 1 1/4" and it does make for better handling IMHO

They work similar to the FOG BONES for the EX500, custom made by a former racer, and a long time forum member(2006) of EX500.COM

Here is his explanation of them, taken from his classified as @ EX500.COM he has sold a lot of them, and no issues with any sold. I will be adding them to my EX500 very soon.

Quote:
I have been responding to inquires lately they ask "what FOGBONES do". So I thought this would be a Good place to put an explanation.

The Bones replace a suspension link and raise the rear of the bike about 1 1/2" at the grab handle. Why? These parts change the angle of the Swing Arm to put it more in line with the torque reaction of the tire, this reduces lift under hard drives,also they reduce the fork rake Angle and shorten the trail. these two changes quicken the steering and cause the bike to turn with less counter steering input. Finally braking is much improved by the greater weight shift to the front wheel (which does 90% of the braking). Ground clearance is improved as well allowing increased lean angle. I have added a slight bulge in the center to accommodate the slightly larger springs from the after market.
I developed this product during my long and successful race career (I quit before I was crippled ....too much)

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2017, 09:23 PM   #12
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
It's a common mod to Kawasaki H1s and H2s to go to longer shocks to raise the rear for the same reason. It's a good improvement in handling. Lowering the triple clamps on the fork tubes makes a similar change, so you can decide which you prefer based on ride height.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2017, 05:44 AM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Here is his explanation of them, taken from his classified as @ EX500.COM he has sold a lot of them, and no issues with any sold. I will be adding them to my EX500 very soon.
RE: torque reaction explanation from FOG.

I think he has explanations that correlate the wrong variables with the effect he's trying to explain. He's right about changing the head angle and trail and the effect that has on handling, but he's iffy on what he calls a "torque reaction". I'm guessing he's talking about a moment that's a combination of all the moments applied about the swingarm pivot during acceleration, but I've not heard someone talk about a "torque reaction" in a textbook.

Anti-squat/anti-lift properties of the rear end under drive power... if you aren't a giant nerd, I'm not going to go into crazy detail about how that all works. Just remember that lifting vs squatting under power is determined by 1) the relative positions of the chain vs the swingarm pivot and 2) the transition of weight to the rear and how the spring rate/damping/etc responds to that transient weight increase and chain force increase.

FOG seems to be the SME on Ninja 500 stuff. It says he's a racer but I don't remember reading anywhere about him saying he's an engineer. So my question is whether he math'd his way through those sales statements or whether he fabricated parts and has anecdotal unquantified testing under his belt from those years of racing experience. I'd love to pick his brain, but from reading his stuff, I challenge his physics explanations at times.

Old July 15th, 2017, 02:05 PM   #14
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I don't think we have to worry too much at torque-induced squat under acceleration on these bikes...
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2017, 05:17 PM   #15
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
I don't think we have to worry too much at torque-induced squat under acceleration on these bikes...
As humorous as you're trying to be, you're wrong.

Even full suspension bicycles squat under power and have to worry about anti-squat to cancel it out. It's about the suspension geometry/spring/damping vs the drivetrain geometry.

Old July 16th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #16
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
The main reason bicycles squat is due to poor pedaling styles with people continuing to push downwards when the pedal-stroke is at the bottom of its rotation. Expert riders who have more circular pedal-strokes and can pedal one-legged have much less issue with squat and bounce.

Yea it's in the geometry and easily compensated. Placing rear-axle too low below output-shaft & swing-arm pivot can cause issues as well with suspension suppleness over bumps and results in skipping rear tyre under power. Again, nothing we have to worry about on a 250.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2017, 03:13 PM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
The main reason
I disagree with this part of your statement but we're OT on a topic that really doesn't matter for anything other than dic... uh... ego! stroking, so I'm out.