ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 14th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #1
codestp202

Well I'm working at it again

So... like a week after removing the swingarm off my bike and getting it back to stock, the paint job from the original owner was pissing me off. Scratched up and had some bubbles and chips in them. I was looking at my k&n air filter and decided to just take the bike apart and get going.
I picked up mineral spirits, 80 grit,220,600,1500,2000 sand paper, plastic primer, metal primer with etch in it. and i've yet to get my main coat mixed up and my clear coat. Also draining the coolant because it was a little low and I'm not sure when it was done last. Also going to take a look at the cam chain because it may be loose.
The whole time I believed that my suspension had something wrong with it, because I would get a loud knock over large bumps, just to find that a rubber piece was missing and would allow the tank to travel and hit the frame... the person that painted it was a ****tard

Oh and by the way, I will be rattle can spraying all of this.
Sanded all of the pieces today and got to priming. I'll be taking a lot more pictures as the process goes on. Also, the person that put the bike together the first time left like half of the fasteners so I'll have to get more of them.

UPDATE:
Finished priming all the plastics and they are now drying. The plastic primer was clear so it was a little difficult to get completely even coats, which is okay because i'll sand it and that will be perfect. Just finished the tank with metal etch/primer combo. Wasn't sure as to how well the combo primer would work but it looks like I got some really good results. It filled in the 80 grit sand marks almost completely and after I sand it really well with wet 220 up to 600 it will be smooth and ready for my base coat. The colors don't do it justice, it looks a little light but it's going to look so good with the black frame and windscreen and other black accents.

Update 3:
Finished the tank and front cowling. The tank turned out really well after 1500,2000, rubbing compound and polishing compound. I'm going to do it one more time tomorrow when I go to do all of the plastics. I finished all the rest of the fairings and they all turned out really well. I wouldn't say this would pass as a completely professional job, but I think it looks amazing for rattle cans and well under $100. I'm very proud of this job and I think it's going to look great. I have a black tank protector coming in the mail and the black windscreen also. More pics tomorrow, I'll probably just finish all the plastics and put it back together wednesday.

Last futzed with by codestp202; July 16th, 2012 at 01:52 PM.

Old July 14th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Nice work! Can't wait to see how it turns out. I am planning on painting my tank in a few weeks. (Gas tank that is)
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #3
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Nice work! Can't wait to see how it turns out. I am planning on painting my tank in a few weeks. (Gas tank that is)
Good luck man, from what I hear, the plastics are easy, and the tank requires a much better job. Are you rattle can or spray gun painting it? I'm a little bit scared of doing the tank especially with a rattle can. My uncle owns a body shop so I may prep the parts with primer then go to his shop to spray gun the color coat and clear. But I also may do it with the rattle to prove to him that I can do a good job

Old July 14th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I plan on using the rattle can method. With a lot of sanding in between coats. If it ends up looking terrible I will sand it back down and try this method....http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Paintin...ith_Rust-Oleum

Old July 14th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #5
BFisher244
Ninja Noob

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

Good stuff! The stock swingarm looks much better! What color are you painting her?
BFisher244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #6
ninja_thresh_hold
ninjette.org *********

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (忍者 250r; sold!) 2001 zx6r

paint it lime green

Old July 15th, 2012, 01:26 AM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
I like where this is going.

Old July 15th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #8
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_thresh_hold View Post
paint it lime green
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFisher244 View Post
Good stuff! The stock swingarm looks much better! What color are you painting her?
Quote:
I plan on using the rattle can method. With a lot of sanding in between coats. If it ends up looking terrible I will sand it back down and try this method....http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Paintin...ith_Rust-Oleum
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
I like where this is going.
She's getting painted this color, but getting paint made is pretty expensive and i actually saw a color at lowes in spray cans for like 5 bucks that looks almost just like the color on the bmw but a tad darker so I MAY get that.

Old July 15th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Jono

I love that color!!!

Old July 15th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #10
codestp202

Quote:
I love that color!!!
I didn't do that exact color, but I found one that's pretty awesome and is a bit lighter. I'm uploading more in the original post

Old July 16th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #11
Jono

Eh it is purty close. I can just see it now. It is going to look really nice when it is complete.

Old July 16th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #12
codestp202

Quote:
Eh it is purty close. I can just see it now. It is going to look really nice when it is complete.
Thanks, i'm getting excited to get back to riding!

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #13
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

Weird, I thought I saw you out riding but guess not. I passed another bike that same color and at first glance thought it was a gsxr, but not sure. It also had a blue HID. Nice color, though.
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #14
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica View Post
Weird, I thought I saw you out riding but guess not. I passed another bike that same color and at first glance thought it was a gsxr, but not sure. It also had a blue HID. Nice color, though.
Thats crazy! Where are you located??

Old July 17th, 2012, 03:00 AM   #15
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by codestp202 View Post
Thats crazy! Where are you located??
I passed the guy near the stow/kent border.
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #16
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica View Post
I passed the guy near the stow/kent border.
Oh okay! Im in painesville for the summer but ill be living in kent year round starting august 15th, lets get some of the guys together and go riding next month before i start back at kent!!

Old July 17th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #17
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

Looks good.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #18
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
huh. Aqua gixxer. Come visit Hudson when it's done haha
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #19
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoD575 View Post
Looks good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
huh. Aqua gixxer. Come visit Hudson when it's done haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks guys. I'll be back in kent in less then a month so I'll be very close then!

Old July 17th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #20
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'll be heading out to Ada then and won't be able to ride the motorcycle at that point.

damn. I just realized that I literally have 4 weeks until classes start.

Old July 17th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #21
Jono

^
Haha it sucks to suck!

I don't start til August 27th! And I get to commute to campus on my ninjette 4 days a week! I love the fall!

Old July 17th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #22
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I'll be heading out to Ada then and won't be able to ride the motorcycle at that point.

damn. I just realized that I literally have 4 weeks until classes start.
Quote:
^
Haha it sucks to suck!

I don't start til August 27th! And I get to commute to campus on my ninjette 4 days a week! I love the fall!
SUCKS TO BE CHONE. I get to ride my bike everyday to class also wont be far... like not even 5 minutes lol.

Old July 17th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #23
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Wow, very nice color. I bet it would look even better when you get a couple clear coats on there.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #24
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytofu View Post
Wow, very nice color. I bet it would look even better when you get a couple clear coats on there.
I actually put clear on, and as of today, I redid almost all the plastics except for the gas tank which turned out awesome. I just wasn't happy with the job the clear did. I didn't put enough paint down and the rubbing compound and polishing compound would eat right through. I sanded all the plastics back down with 2000 grit and made it look butter smooth. So it was the blue color but a matte texture (probably 3-4 coats of blue underneath). And I put 1 heavy coat over that. It looks fabulous! I'm going to let it cure and it is has been so hot out so it probably shouldn't take long. I don't really plan on clear coating them again I am so happy with the shine they have I think I'll either leave them alone and buff them out a few days later. Then put a layer of wax when the paint is hard enough to take the wax (1 month). The paint looks 10x better today with no clear then it did yesterday with 4 coats of clear. I just didn't do a good enough job with the clear coat.

Old July 17th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #25
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Quote:
I actually put clear on, and as of today, I redid almost all the plastics except for the gas tank which turned out awesome. I just wasn't happy with the job the clear did. I didn't put enough paint down and the rubbing compound and polishing compound would eat right through. I sanded all the plastics back down with 2000 grit and made it look butter smooth. So it was the blue color but a matte texture (probably 3-4 coats of blue underneath). And I put 1 heavy coat over that. It looks fabulous! I'm going to let it cure and it is has been so hot out so it probably shouldn't take long. I don't really plan on clear coating them again I am so happy with the shine they have I think I'll either leave them alone and buff them out a few days later. Then put a layer of wax when the paint is hard enough to take the wax (1 month). The paint looks 10x better today with no clear then it did yesterday with 4 coats of clear. I just didn't do a good enough job with the clear coat.
How did you apply your clear? Aren't you supposed to clear coat, sand, clean, then another coat, lightly sand, then polish/buff out with a machine?

Edit: The issue with not using clear coat is if you drop any sort of brake fluid/ gas on to your tank, your paint job is just going to get ruined almost instantly.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #26
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytofu View Post
How did you apply your clear? Aren't you supposed to clear coat, sand, clean, then another coat, lightly sand, then polish/buff out with a machine?

Edit: The issue with not using clear coat is if you drop any sort of brake fluid/ gas on to your tank, your paint job is just going to get ruined almost instantly.
The tank has lots of clear on it. That is the only thing I didn't have to re-do. The tank has 3-4 coats of primer, 4 coats of blue, and 4 coats of clear. The plastics don't have clear anymore.

Old July 18th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #27
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
SUCKS TO BE CHONE. I get to ride my bike everyday to class also wont be far... like not even 5 minutes lol.
ride a bicycle if it's that short.

Seriously though, I have no use for a vehicle when I'm at school except of coming home, which I'd rather have a car to bring home a suitcase anyways. So the bike gets put in storage when I go to school.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 18th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #28
codestp202

Still to come are a black windscreen and black tank protector which are in the mail as we speak. Then i need to decide between black or white decals. Any opinions?

Old July 24th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #29
codestp202

You guys suck, no responses
Well here the bike with decals, still waiting on my black windscreen. theres a black tank protector on there, cant see it though

Old July 24th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #30
BFisher244
Ninja Noob

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

Looks amazing. Good job!
BFisher244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #31
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

The black decals give excellent contrast with the blue.

Good looking finished product.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #32
rawbert625
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): the cool ones

That looks awesome! those decals really ties it in good!
rawbert625 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #33
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

You HAVE to throw some tangerine one there for a classic Gulf livery.

What were you doing with the swingarm?

Old July 25th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #34
Jono

Turned out great!!!

Old July 25th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #35
codestp202

Quote:
Turned out great!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
You HAVE to throw some tangerine one there for a classic Gulf livery.

What were you doing with the swingarm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbert625 View Post
That looks awesome! those decals really ties it in good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoD575 View Post
The black decals give excellent contrast with the blue.

Good looking finished product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFisher244 View Post
Looks amazing. Good job!
Thanks guys! And when I bought the bike, it had an 8 inch swingarm extension. So i had to remove all of that, cut down the chain and bring everything back to stock. It was A LOT of work.
And What about tangerine? You lost me lol

Old July 25th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #36
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Old July 25th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #37
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Looks good man Don't see many bikes that color. I agree that some tangerine orange could look cool.

Glad you got rid of that stupid swingarm, don't think anyone can talk sh*t about your bike now.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote