ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 1st, 2009, 02:22 PM   #1
McLovin
ninjette.org member

Name: Johnny

Motorcycle(s): None yet

'08 or older ninjas?

I've been looking really hard for a '08 ninja 250 but after reading some comments left by others here and there I'm thinking that maybe I should get an older model of the 250 first before I get a newer one.

I'm a new rider... literally, never ridden yet, going to take class on April 16th. The comments say how new riders will drop the bike and mess up the clutch and I don't disagree with them, I'm sure it will bound to happen.

But I was wondering what everyone here thinks? Does it matter if I get an older or newer ('08) model? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2009, 02:49 PM   #2
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Johnny - have some faith in yourself. I know waiting two week to take the class will seem like an eternity but wait until after you have taken the class and demonstrated to yourself that you can do it before you make the big decision.

First I would suggest that you got to the MSF website and read all that you can find there so when you get to class it is a refresher and not a "what the hell did he just say?".

Next be thinking about your gear; helmet, shoes/boots, gloves, jacket at a minimum. Highly recommended are the pants.

How much money have you got? That would be a could first indicator of what you are going to buy. Last year you were on a wait list and had to leave your first male born child as a non-refundable deposit to get an '08. That's why I got a used '01 that had been dropped and had some fairing damage. In February I got an '09 OTD with everything except sales tax and tag (because I bought it out of state) for $4K. In this economy I think there are going to be some deals to be had.

I don't know if we've taken a poll on how people have "dropped" their bikes but my guess is the majority are dead stop/low speed "ah sh*t" moments; having the handle bars turned to tight and letting the clutch out, trying to move the bike and losing your balance and dropping it, trying to get it on a stand and not having things in place, wrenching with a pry bar, etc.

If you low side it as a newbee then you most likely got in over your head or were not paying attention to the road surface and it really wouldn't have made any difference what year was under you.

You will get a lot of input from the forum, but study, take the class and then sleep on it.

One thing I will guarantee you - you will never get the smile off your face after your first ride.

Old April 1st, 2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

i think you'll be fine getting either one. if you really want the new generation, then get it and put some frame sliders on it so that if you have a stupid newb drop you don't suffer too much damage.

as for clutch and stuff... don't worry about it. learn everyday and better yourself

Old April 1st, 2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Don't worry too much about it. The ninjettes are widely considered learning bikes for a simple reason: The repairs for them are inexpensive compared to a liter-bike. There are only a couple of things that are better for the pre-gen ninjettes that I would take into consideration: 1. It'll be cheaper and easier to find. There's a whole lot more pregen bikes out there for sale and you won't have to pay 4k to get them. They might come a little damaged, but if you're worried about that anyway it's not much of a problem. 2. There are a lot more used replacement parts available for the pregens. If you bust something like a clutch cable or a footpeg, check on ebay and you can probably find one for less than $10. Maybe even shipped for that much. I got my '07 with 1900 miles on it for $1900 (not including TT&L). Much cheaper than you could find an '08 model, unless you're really lucky or the bike is really badly damaged. But, in the end, it's up to you. The new ones do look really awesome, I'll admit. There's also much more for the new gen bikes in the form of mods. It's generally up to you. Don't rush into buying something until you're sure you want it though. Just my thoughts.

Have fun with the class. Riding is amazing. Can't wait to hear about how you do and what you decide to get. Keep us posted (no pun intended)!

Old April 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM   #5
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250R

If you're a DIY kinda guy and on a budget, pregen would be cheaper. Plus if you some how change your mind after 6 months, you won't take a big hit and probably would be able to sell it for the same price.

Old April 1st, 2009, 06:57 PM   #6
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

ahh... thats the beauty of used bikes and cars. you can usually sell them for about the same price you bought it for

Old April 1st, 2009, 09:44 PM   #7
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

And if you decide to throw in some extra little things, you might be able to get a few bucks more!

Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:12 AM   #8
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

My friends are doing the same thing. I told them you could always get an older ninja and just make it a streetfighter paint everything black but you may need to keep some instruments to become familiar to engine speed sounds and such.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM   #9
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Johnny - have some faith in yourself. I know waiting two week to take the class will seem like an eternity but wait until after you have taken the class and demonstrated to yourself that you can do it before you make the big decision.

First I would suggest that you got to the MSF website and read all that you can find there so when you get to class it is a refresher and not a "what the hell did he just say?".

Next be thinking about your gear; helmet, shoes/boots, gloves, jacket at a minimum. Highly recommended are the pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom View Post
as for clutch and stuff... don't worry about it. learn everyday and better yourself
IMO, I think these two comments put together are the perfect advice!

TAKE A SAFETY COURSE!! Probably the best decision you'll make as a beginner rider. I, myself, had little experience with street bikes and took this course before I bought my first bike last summer. The MSF course was an awesome experience!

Try riding to make sure it's something you enjoy before making a decision.

BUY SOME GEAR! <--An absolute must!

Practice, practice, practice! You only get better with experience. So, before you head out into traffic, you may want to get yourself used to quick brake stops, clutch/throttle control, evasive maneuvers, etc.

Good luck in your quest Johnny! (LOL, Johnny Quest ... awesome). Ask any question, and don't feel ashamed, you're in good company and a lot of these guys have a lot of experience and input!

Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:57 AM   #10
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

both are great bikes to learn on

if you're not worried about looks and don't mind the more vintage looking 250r then go with the pre-gen, plus it's not as expensive to buy. both will teach you how to ride and hone your skills for if get a bigger bike.

The pre-gen does have a little less power and as I recall, the seat isn't as high. hope this helped
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:59 AM   #11
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I love the newer ninja. To the point that I'm thinking about getting one.

I have put almost 2k on my '07 since I purchased it earlier this year. I plan on doing a fork spring upgrade and an '08 shock upgrade. That with some Sport Demons should make this bike a riot. If I start to get into track days, I may get an '08 for daily use and use the '07 for track duty with racing plastics. Or I may switch them up and use the newer one for track duty (more tire selection).

FYI: My first bike was a GS500 that I purchased and drove off the showroom floor. It lived just fine.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:07 AM   #12
OldGuy
Live Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterick4o8 View Post
both are great bikes to learn on
Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterick4o8 View Post
The pre-gen does have a little less power and as I recall, the seat isn't as high. hope this helped
Not really. From the Shop Manual of PreGen and '08

Seat Height - PreGen 745mm (29.3"), '08-'09 775mm (30.5")
HP - PreGen 27.9KW, '08-'09 23.4KW

Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:24 AM   #13
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

pregen 0-60: 5.75
newgen 0-60: 7.7

Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:36 AM   #14
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10111
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:25 AM   #15
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

haha i was told wrong I guess. I trusted that info since that person had a pre-gen and moved over to the new-gen
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:05 PM   #16
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Does it matter if I get an older or newer ('08) model? Any suggestions?

either way, ya better brush up on the latest moves for next winter's events.

instructional vid here

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2009, 02:08 PM   #17
OldGuy
Live Life

Steve that is cruel to subject Tor to that humiliation again ( I love it )

Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:21 PM   #18
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by komohana View Post

either way, ya better brush up on the latest moves for next winter's events.

instructional vid here
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA How did I miss this!!!

Thanks for the laughs man.