ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

View Poll Results: what type of cell phone do you use?
Blackberry 8 3.96%
Iphone 56 27.72%
Android 101 50.00%
basic phone, nothing fancy 37 18.32%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 10th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #121
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
ok whatever dude. look, the hardware difference between an ipad and an equiv android is not really that far off. the only thing the ipads have thats actually better is they spend more on their screens, but in turn their screens are more delicate than the queen of england (though, i hear shes a dirty bitch so that might not be accurate) go look at how ios is built, then go look at how android is built. oh look they are the same thing! a posix base with a VM carrier to run sandboxed apps. only difference is the gui top layer and security permissions handling. the reason people get the idea that android is "less" of a stable platform is... surprise surprise, ITS FREE! you can download android, install it on your computer or tons of other devices, and develop and PUBLISH DIRECTLY TO THE MARKET FOR FREE. this means that google/android does not control content like a bunch of dictators like apple does. whats ****ed is 99% of the apps on iOS are still pieces of **** even thoough they rule with an iron fist and charge an assload of money to start, not to mention the huge percentage they take per sale. what this also means is that **** tons of phone device manufacturers use it as well. surprise surprise, most of them are cheap assholes and install adware and bloat ware on the devices they sell. you dont blame microsoft for the AOL install that HP put on the computer you bought from them, you get mad at HP for installing the stupid ****.

ok. im ranting. im done with this thread.

Old February 10th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #122
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
ok whatever dude. look, the hardware difference between an ipad and an equiv android is not really that far off. the only thing the ipads have thats actually better is they spend more on their screens, but in turn their screens are more delicate than the queen of england (though, i hear shes a dirty bitch so that might not be accurate) go look at how ios is built, then go look at how android is built. oh look they are the same thing! a posix base with a VM carrier to run sandboxed apps. only difference is the gui top layer and security permissions handling. the reason people get the idea that android is "less" of a stable platform is... surprise surprise, ITS FREE! you can download android, install it on your computer or tons of other devices, and develop and PUBLISH DIRECTLY TO THE MARKET FOR FREE. this means that google/android does not control content like a bunch of dictators like apple does. whats ****ed is 99% of the apps on iOS are still pieces of **** even thoough they rule with an iron fist and charge an assload of money to start, not to mention the huge percentage they take per sale. what this also means is that **** tons of phone device manufacturers use it as well. surprise surprise, most of them are cheap assholes and install adware and bloat ware on the devices they sell. you dont blame microsoft for the AOL install that HP put on the computer you bought from them, you get mad at HP for installing the stupid ****.

ok. im ranting. im done with this thread.
Hey dude I totally get it. I bought an HTC Jetstream instead of an iPad because the ipad is over priced for what you get. Android is awesome, as I've said before I love my Android phone and my Android tablet (for the record I don't personally own an iPad) Both systems have their faults and neither can be declared the undeniable winner. iOS is USELESS to me without jailbreaking. Honestly, I hate apple I hate the way the company is run. During training we were given sheets that compared all the OS's except for iOS. Why? Because apple refused to allow their OS to be compared to other OS's for the purpose of training sales people on how they perform. Apple sucks, and if I couldn't hack the device I wouldn't use it. Android has it's faults too as you've listed above. Maybe not a fault with the OS itself but with the distribution methods.

Anyway, Windows phones are really cool too.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #123
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Anyway, Windows phones are really cool too.
haha, ok... i laughed at that.

Old February 11th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #124
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
haha, ok... i laughed at that.
What you don't like them? I sell them to old people that can't work an iPhone lol
AFM #676

Old September 20th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #125
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Smart Phone discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Do you have 1 in your phone? They have a track app for that.
Posted via Mobile Device
nope. No smart phone for this kid I still have a year on my contract for my dumbphone. Then i'll look at smart phones
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #126
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
nope. No smart phone for this kid I still have a year on my contract for my dumbphone. Then i'll look at smart phones
That's why I never do contracts like that. I can switch anytime I want. I just picked up a Samsung Android smartphone a few months back. Love it. They are getting very reasonable now. Its basically an iphone 5 without the dogged apple DOS on it. They have a free track app that uses the GPS. Maybe someone with an actual 300 will give it a try.

Old September 20th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #127
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
That's why I never do contracts like that. I can switch anytime I want.
Yea! More power to you! Freedom! I on the other hand will take the free $450 from AT&T since why the hell would I need to switch anyway. Oh also the termination fee is at max $375 so even if I did want to switch after one month I'd actually save $75 by having gone with the contract.

Quote:
I just picked up a Samsung Android smartphone a few months back. Love it. They are getting very reasonable now. Its basically an iphone 5 without the dogged apple DOS on it.
Uhm no
AFM #676

Old September 20th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #128
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Name: Katherine

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
I just picked up a Samsung Android smartphone a few months back. Love it. They are getting very reasonable now. Its basically an iphone 5 without the dogged apple DOS on it.
Do you have the Galaxy SIII? That's what I just got and it's AMAZING! I love it.

Quote:

Uhm no
Uhm yes!
Kstorm21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #129
n4mwd

Quote:
Yea! More power to you! Freedom! I on the other hand will take the free $450 from AT&T since why the hell would I need to switch anyway. Oh also the termination fee is at max $375 so even if I did want to switch after one month I'd actually save $75 by having gone with the contract.

Uhm no
You sound like an AT&T cell phone salesman. I have T-Mobile. I spend about $100 / YEAR on cell phone service with no contract. You probably spend that in a month. I win. My phone has built in VOIP which means I can make calls for free using wifi hotspots and surf threads on ninjette.com at the same time. The only down side is that I have to pay cash for my phones. The last one only cost me $200 at Walmart.

Anyhow, do they have a free track app for the iphone?

Old September 20th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #130
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstorm21 View Post
Do you have the Galaxy SIII? That's what I just got and it's AMAZING! I love it.

Uhm yes!
I think so. To be honest, I haven't looked at the box recently. Its a good phone for sure.

I hear that the apple iphone 6 will finally have a replaceable battery - then they will claim that they invented that too. Along with the rectangle....

I think my next smart phone will be a dual sim phone. Its starting to be something that would be convenient.

Fits nice in the tank bag under the clear plastic top. That way I can see the GPS stuff while I'm riding.

Old September 20th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #131
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
You sound like an AT&T cell phone salesman. I have T-Mobile. I spend about $100 / YEAR on cell phone service with no contract. You probably spend that in a month. I win. My phone has built in VOIP which means I can make calls for free using wifi hotspots and surf threads on ninjette.com at the same time. The only down side is that I have to pay cash for my phones. The last one only cost me $200 at Walmart.

Anyhow, do they have a free track app for the iphone?
I am an att cell phone salesman (on disability ) I spend (in the family plan) $50/mo and what does that get me? Well, unlimited everything on a phone that doesn't suck. Saying your budget android phone is as good as an iphone is like saying your 250 is as fast as a 1000 (its not) sure maybe the 250 can catch up to the 1k in the twisties (zomg your phone can make phone calls!) but no, your phone is no where near the quality nor does it have the longevity of an iphone.

And if you are capable of selling things on craigslist you can upgrade your iphone every two years for ***FREE***, I've been doing that since the iphone 3g. Your phone was $200? Yea, I haven't paid for a phone in 4 years.

Free tracking app? I'm not sure, haven't looked. But if you jailbreak your phone every app is free. I only pay for apps that are worth the money the developer is charging, if they make a good app, then I want to support them. If their app is gimmicky, they ain't gettin a penny
AFM #676

Old September 20th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #132
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Name: Katherine

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
I think so. To be honest, I haven't looked at the box recently. Its a good phone for sure.

I hear that the apple iphone 6 will finally have a replaceable battery - then they will claim that they invented that too. Along with the rectangle....

I think my next smart phone will be a dual sim phone. Its starting to be something that would be convenient.

Fits nice in the tank bag under the clear plastic top. That way I can see the GPS stuff while I'm riding.
Do you watch Weeds? The final episode they had was looked like a futuristic iPhone. It looked glass/see through and when you touched it or got a call it would light up. Very cool! I'm sure they'll steal that too.
Kstorm21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #133
n4mwd

Quote:
I am an att cell phone salesman (on disability ) I spend (in the family plan) $50/mo and what does that get me? Well, unlimited everything on a phone that doesn't suck. Saying your budget android phone is as good as an iphone is like saying your 250 is as fast as a 1000 (its not) sure maybe the 250 can catch up to the 1k in the twisties (zomg your phone can make phone calls!) but no, your phone is no where near the quality nor does it have the longevity of an iphone.

And if you are capable of selling things on craigslist you can upgrade your iphone every two years for ***FREE***, I've been doing that since the iphone 3g. Your phone was $200? Yea, I haven't paid for a phone in 4 years.

Free tracking app? I'm not sure, haven't looked. But if you jailbreak your phone every app is free. I only pay for apps that are worth the money the developer is charging, if they make a good app, then I want to support them. If their app is gimmicky, they ain't gettin a penny
The current samsung phone that I have doesn't come close to sucking. You pay $50/month on a family plan. That's $1200 in two years. If I got a new phone every two years my total cost would be $400 for those same two years.

Prior to the samsung, I had a smart phone with a front facing camera running Windows Mobile (pre-dated android). It was years later that apple decided that a front facing camera was a good idea (so they invented that too).

But you do realize that apple hasn't just turned their lawyers against samsung, they also turned their lawyers against their own customers. It seems that they don't appreciate it when people jailbreak their phones so they can run "unauthorized" apps. They had their lawyers bribe the appropriate government officials so that its now illegal to jailbreak or possess a jailbroken phone. That's 5 years real jail for people that get caught. And you WANT to be an apple customer?

With android you can do anything. Heck, even the OS is open source.

Old September 20th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #134
n4mwd

Hey Alex, maybe you can move all the cell phone stuff to the off topic area.

Old September 20th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #135
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
The current samsung phone that I have doesn't come close to sucking. You pay $50/month on a family plan. That's $1200 in two years. If I got a new phone every two years my total cost would be $400 for those same two years.
Lightning fast internet everywhere? kthxbai

Quote:
Prior to the samsung, I had a smart phone with a front facing camera running Windows Mobile (pre-dated android). It was years later that apple decided that a front facing camera was a good idea (so they invented that too).
I too once had a samsung phone with a camera that faced forward! Wait, hows this relevant? It isn't

Quote:
But you do realize that apple hasn't just turned their lawyers against samsung, they also turned their lawyers against their own customers. It seems that they don't appreciate it when people jailbreak their phones so they can run "unauthorized" apps. They had their lawyers bribe the appropriate government officials so that its now illegal to jailbreak or possess a jailbroken phone. That's 5 years real jail for people that get caught. And you WANT to be an apple customer?
You, are misinformed

Quote:
With android you can do anything. Heck, even the OS is open source.
I know what you can do with android, I have one as well, its also leagues ahead of your $200 walmart smartphone. Simply put, androids are not as polished as iphones. HTC gets close but the amount of quality control put into iphones far exceeds that of any other manufacturer. Ever wonder why the hell people still buy outdated iphones that were released 3 years ago? Quality control. If you buy a new iphone you can be damn sure that apple is going to support it for the next three years. You are lucky to get that kind of commitment from an android maker for 1 year.

Ah yes, apples tight grasp around the iphone is as uncomfortting as if it were around your nuts. Thank goodness a swift kick to apples nuts forces them to release their grasp. Yep, I'm talking about jailbreaking. My jailbroken iphone can do anything that my android can do, and it does it better. However, if apple is ever able to defeat the jailbreak process, that would suck major nuts because I'd have to switch to an android. And while it will be able to do everything I want, it'll never do it as well, as smooth, or as polished as the iphone did.

Edit: saw alexs post, oopsies
AFM #676

Old September 21st, 2012, 06:55 AM   #136
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Ive had a few smart phones in my day. iphones included. I probably wont go back to the iphone.

You keep talking about your jailbroken iphone. Surely then you have rooted your android? And have a top end one? You cant compare unless they are both open and have similar hardware. Obviously.

I have a google Nexus (Samsung) Rooted, running CM9 with the cobalt theme (favorite free theme) I will probably go to CM10 when its stable, or flash stock jellybean perhaps when it comes out for verizon. Being rooted I cant accept over the air updates. Of course since I flashed CM9 I dont think I get them anymore anyways.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2012, 06:56 AM   #137
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

also I guess mine isnt top end anymore. It would be comparable hardware wise to a 4S

Old September 21st, 2012, 07:57 AM   #138
n4mwd

Quote:
Lightning fast internet everywhere? kthxbai

I too once had a samsung phone with a camera that faced forward! Wait, hows this relevant? It isn't

You, are misinformed

I know what you can do with android, I have one as well, its also leagues ahead of your $200 walmart smartphone. Simply put, androids are not as polished as iphones. HTC gets close but the amount of quality control put into iphones far exceeds that of any other manufacturer. Ever wonder why the hell people still buy outdated iphones that were released 3 years ago? Quality control. If you buy a new iphone you can be damn sure that apple is going to support it for the next three years. You are lucky to get that kind of commitment from an android maker for 1 year.

Ah yes, apples tight grasp around the iphone is as uncomfortting as if it were around your nuts. Thank goodness a swift kick to apples nuts forces them to release their grasp. Yep, I'm talking about jailbreaking. My jailbroken iphone can do anything that my android can do, and it does it better. However, if apple is ever able to defeat the jailbreak process, that would suck major nuts because I'd have to switch to an android. And while it will be able to do everything I want, it'll never do it as well, as smooth, or as polished as the iphone did.

Edit: saw alexs post, oopsies

Yes my cell phone is 4 G.

And yes, apple got the government to make jailbreaking a crime under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act DMCA.
Posted via Mobile Device
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2012, 07:59 AM   #139
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
Ive had a few smart phones in my day. iphones included. I probably wont go back to the iphone.

You keep talking about your jailbroken iphone. Surely then you have rooted your android? And have a top end one? You cant compare unless they are both open and have similar hardware. Obviously.

I have a google Nexus (Samsung) Rooted, running CM9 with the cobalt theme (favorite free theme) I will probably go to CM10 when its stable, or flash stock jellybean perhaps when it comes out for verizon. Being rooted I cant accept over the air updates. Of course since I flashed CM9 I dont think I get them anymore anyways.
I haven't rooted my phone yet, but it may be coming soon. T Mobile charges an extra 15 dollars to tether your phone to make it into a mobile hotspot. By rooting it you don't have to pay the 15 dollars.
Posted via Mobile Device
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2012, 08:28 AM   #140
bbonds007
The Bonds

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 06 Yellow Ninja

+1 On unlocked phone/contract free service

I am still rocking a Nokia 5800, running Symbian 60v5. Even though it is almost 5 years old, it still has the best gps navigation app available (except for perhaps the newer nokias). I have an HP touchpad running CM9 (android ICS) and no other navigation app can compete with nokia map's offline mode. Plus being Nokia, they are tougher than Chuck Norris's balls.
bbonds007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2012, 09:14 AM   #141
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

I guess its better because maps works in offline mode? yeah Gmaps isnt going to work very well if you dont have a data connection.

Quote:
I haven't rooted my phone yet, but it may be coming soon. T Mobile charges an extra 15 dollars to tether your phone to make it into a mobile hotspot. By rooting it you don't have to pay the 15 dollars.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, its free now on Verizon since they changed from unlimited to a data cap...

But yeah it does make that a possibility. I still have unlimited data on verizon because I havent upgraded since they required the new tiered data plan. And I used my 4G wifi teather app and it worked beautifully. So fast even on my computer. I was impressed.

Old September 21st, 2012, 09:53 AM   #142
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Except that it'd still be locked to AT&T.

Reading the terms, I don't think paying the ETF will convince them to unlock it.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2012, 10:13 AM   #143
rabies
time is running out....

Name: jesse

Motorcycle(s): pregen ninjari

motorolla droid 2 then droid x now droid 4...all disapoint me...
not sure what brand and model to move to....

Old September 21st, 2012, 11:11 AM   #144
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Cool, I started a thread!

werd.

Old September 21st, 2012, 11:15 AM   #145
rabies
time is running out....

wait...you started a thread? but you quoted some1..i dont gets it

Old September 21st, 2012, 11:16 AM   #146
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
no, Alex made my post into it's own thread because the thread it was in turned into an OT discussion about phones.

Old September 21st, 2012, 11:28 AM   #147
rabies
time is running out....

i see. jus a flip fone eh?
i remember those days.....the simple stuff is better anyways. now im a slave to my droid. check this and check that...ok il shut up now

Old September 21st, 2012, 11:46 AM   #148
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Wait, what's a flip phone???

Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2012, 12:38 PM   #149
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

@rabies

I am not a huge fan of motorolla anymore. Try Samsung. So far I like them.

Old September 21st, 2012, 12:41 PM   #150
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
And yes, apple got the government to make jailbreaking a crime under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act DMCA.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry, that's not accurate. I'm a happy Galaxy SIII user, and bash Apple whenever it suits my mood, but your statement isn't correct. A few years back there were discussions about all sorts of exemptions from the DMCA. DMCA as written is quite broad, and many people doing many things that would perhaps be seen as non-criminal would then be classified as criminal. One of the proposed exemptions back then (2010), was jailbreaking a smartphone. Apple did submit briefs asking for there not to be an exemption. But - the exemption went through anyway, and jailbreaking a phone has not been a violation of the DMCA since.

That exemption was only good for 2 years, and came up again for renewal this year. There were comments sent in early in the year, and the official ruling is expected some time in October. This time, Apple sat on the sidelines, and didn't come out against or in favor of the exemption:

Quote:
Surprisingly Apple did not submit their comments on Jailbreaking to the U.S. copyright office as pointed out by both Saurik and Musclenerd. This is a very big position change from the last time the exception of Jailbreaking was proposed and Apple harshly opposed it. Signifying that Apple could be taking an indifferent position on Jailbreaking due to the innovation that comes from developers in the Jailbreaking Community.
More info in these links, but the net-net is that no, jailbreaking a smartphone is not currently illegal, and no, Apple is not eager to make it so.

http://www.ijailbreak.com/jailbreak/...tion-comments/
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/26/j...eff-would-rat/
https://www.eff.org/pages/jailbreaki...e-your-devices

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2012, 12:51 PM   #151
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Apple should be happy about jailbreaking, it shows the flaws in their code
AFM #676

Old September 21st, 2012, 12:55 PM   #152
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
flaws?? but Apple is perfect!

Old September 21st, 2012, 01:21 PM   #153
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:

I have not messed with my android since my accident, I rarely even touch it anymore. I mean its my work phone, I'm not currently working, why bother carrying around a second phone? The first android they gave me was the motorola atrix, I rooted it so that it would do that pc laptop mode without the dock (which is ****ing awesome, I wish they would continue that on phones) What was funny was that in the "pc" mode the web browser was firefox and not chrome. I thought it was odd.

Then they gave me the HTC vivid which is a really cool phone. Huge ass ****ing screen oh and 37mbps download speeds on LTE I rooted it way back, didn't install a custom version and haven't messed with it since (have barely touched it since ) You can see it in my crash video, otterbox held up quite well.

Anyway, through using both phones I slowly drifted back to using my iphone for everything (except videos ) because it did everything smoother. Customizing the android is easier since it can already do a lot of things that a regular iphone cannot but when jailbroken my iphone does everything and it carries over that smoothness from iOS. Anytime I say "hmm I want to be able to do this" I search cydia or google what I'm trying to do and find a mod that does it. The uniformity of iPhones helps with this alot to. Have you ever downloaded an app on your phone and you get a popup message thhat says this app is not fully tested on your device blah blah blah, and then it runs like ****? That doesn't happen on the iphone (ARGGH WHEN IT HAPPENS ON MY ANDROID AND TABLET THOUGH!)

I was going to trade my android in for one of those new windows phones back before I crashed (I know, comparing a windows phone to androids and iphones is like comparing a $200 android from walmart to a good smartphone ) And while windows phones are like the polar opposite of androids in the customizable department, one thing they do offer is a fantastically smooth experience on par with the iphone and simplicity. I wanted to learn the system better so I could better recommend it to customers.

In case you are wondering how I sell, to people who are undecided, if they are not tech smart they end up with an iphone or windows phone. People who like to customize things, make it their own, I show them androids. One of the things I tell people when they don't know what they want is if you get an iphone, your iphone will look like my iphone (lie ), will look like everyone elses iphone. The only difference will be your background image, thats it. Plenty of people don't like that, they get androids. No one gets a blackberry unless they ask for it

Quote:
also I guess mine isnt top end anymore. It would be comparable hardware wise to a 4S
Iphones strong suit has never been hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Except that it'd still be locked to AT&T.

Reading the terms, I don't think paying the ETF will convince them to unlock it.
They will unlock most phones (if they can) so long as you are not in a contract, just call customer service. If you have an android or iphone, stop being lazy and unlock it yourself

Off to PT!
AFM #676

Old September 21st, 2012, 01:23 PM   #154
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

I know the Nexus was quite a bit better than the 4S...

flash some custom ROMs then come back and talk to me. rooting and then keeping the stock OS is a different experience. This is the first phone Ive flashed ROMs on... I wont go back to a stock OS for awhile...if ever

Old September 21st, 2012, 02:29 PM   #155
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Quote:
Iphones strong suit has never been hardware
Really? I always thought the iPhones had strong specs hardware wise when they are released. They seemed to really market the Retina display on the iPhone 4 and the quality of the camera. Obviously when compared to the latest smartphones now, the iPhone 4 looks a bit long in the tooth.

One of the main selling points Apple is making for the 5 is how much lighter and sleeker the hardware is now. Apple takes a real custom approach to their hardware and they pumped in a lot of money into the design of the new A6 chip in the iPhone 5.

Old September 21st, 2012, 02:32 PM   #156
n4mwd

Quote:
However, if apple is ever able to defeat the jailbreak process, that would suck major nuts because I'd have to switch to an android. And while it will be able to do everything I want, it'll never do it as well, as smooth, or as polished as the iphone did.
Polished like poop. They showed how that's done on Mythbusters one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
... jailbreaking a smartphone is not currently illegal, and no, Apple is not eager to make it so.
You have a way of confusing things with the facts. Yes, it looks like I misread the comments online about apple successfully making it illegal - but they did try. Nevertheless, this still doesn't mean that apple is going to just sit there and let people do it. Personally, given apple's history, I would expect trojans in their firmware that would shut down phones permanently if it detects a jailbroken status. So one day you might go to itunes and then the phone suddenly goes pfiffft and stops working.

Quote:
I was going to trade my android in for one of those new windows phones back before I crashed (I know, comparing a windows phone to androids and iphones is like comparing a $200 android from walmart to a good smartphone ) And while windows phones are like the polar opposite of androids in the customizable department, one thing they do offer is a fantastically smooth experience on par with the iphone and simplicity.
I have a windows smart phone and it sucks big time. It runs Windows Mobile. Hardware wise its OK, but its junk and its apparently a big deal to scrub the windows junk off it and run android. I used it for about a week and then went back to my $20 nokia bar phone because it was so hard to use and lacked about every feature you'd think would be standard on a smart phone -- and No way to upgrade it either as far as I could see. There are a few apps out there for windows mobile, but very few. The ones I could find usually didn't work right.

So regarding my $200 android, exactly what feature does the iphone have that it doesn't?

1. Can the iphone make free voip calls from hotspots without using any minutes?

2. Can you remove your sim card and still have a functioning phone?

3. Can you transfer files from your phone to another PC via wifi?

4. Can you sync multiple bluetooth headsets together to make an intercom?

I'm not saying the iphone is complete junk, but the strangle hold apple puts on their customers is unreasonable. Jailbreaking is a temporary solution, but apple will soon stop it one way or another.

Old September 21st, 2012, 02:32 PM   #157
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I meant like processor, they sell a 1ghz dual core while Samsung sells a 1.5ghz dual core. The Samsung is obviously faster right? Not quite. And that is what I meant
AFM #676

Old September 21st, 2012, 02:43 PM   #158
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Polished like poop. They showed how that's done on Mythbusters one time.

You have a way of confusing things with the facts. Yes, it looks like I misread the comments online about apple successfully making it illegal - but they did try. Nevertheless, this still doesn't mean that apple is going to just sit there and let people do it. Personally, given apple's history, I would expect trojans in their firmware that would shut down phones permanently if it detects a jailbroken status. So one day you might go to itunes and then the phone suddenly goes pfiffft and stops working.

I have a windows smart phone and it sucks big time. It runs Windows Mobile. Hardware wise its OK, but its junk and its apparently a big deal to scrub the windows junk off it and run android. I used it for about a week and then went back to my $20 nokia bar phone because it was so hard to use and lacked about every feature you'd think would be standard on a smart phone -- and No way to upgrade it either as far as I could see. There are a few apps out there for windows mobile, but very few. The ones I could find usually didn't work right.

So regarding my $200 android, exactly what feature does the iphone have that it doesn't?

1. Can the iphone make free voip calls from hotspots without using any minutes?

2. Can you remove your sim card and still have a functioning phone?

3. Can you transfer files from your phone to another PC via wifi?

4. Can you sync multiple bluetooth headsets together to make an intercom?

I'm not saying the iphone is complete junk, but the strangle hold apple puts on their customers is unreasonable. Jailbreaking is a temporary solution, but apple will soon stop it one way or another.
Yes you can (and I have) do all of those things on an iPhone. Apple has been fighting jailbreaking for 6 years and every year they fail. They have never once made a phone unjailbreakable.

Also dude, really? Windows mobile? Is that what you think I'm talking about? Those aren't even made anymore. Touch a windows 7 phone, they are fantastic, very simple, but fantastic nonetheless
AFM #676

Old September 21st, 2012, 03:11 PM   #159
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

The A6 chip looks very impressive. The S3 though should reclaim top spot in Geekbench scores once it gets the official Jelly Bean update sometime in October.

Old September 21st, 2012, 03:39 PM   #160
n4mwd

Quote:
Yes you can (and I have) do all of those things on an iPhone. Apple has been fighting jailbreaking for 6 years and every year they fail. They have never once made a phone unjailbreakable.

Also dude, really? Windows mobile? Is that what you think I'm talking about? Those aren't even made anymore. Touch a windows 7 phone, they are fantastic, very simple, but fantastic nonetheless
But you didn't say what the iphone does that my little $200 android doesn't?

I can't say I've seen a windows 7 phone before. Nor have I seen their play store either. I suppose they must have one somewhere though. I would however bet that its better than windows mobile.

Obviously there is a guy at apple that is deliberately making the iphones jailbreakable in spite of the fact that jailbreaking is clearly forbidden by the company. They make their own phones and recently they even make their own processors. I can tell you, as a software engineer, that making it impossible to be jailbroken would be trivial. All they would have to do would be to put the IPL in ROM and include an nonmaskable check for jailbroken-ness - then loop the phone if it is. Anyhow, if apple ever figures out who that guy was, they could eliminate jailbreaking forever.

Then you would either have to toe the apple line or switch to android (or win 7).