ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 18th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #1
snowman7
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Harold

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Front turn signal issues...

So, I'm sorry for my first post to be asking for help, but I don't know what else to do with my problem.

I recently bought an 05 ninja 250, for cheap. It has been down at least a few times. pretty much every fairing was busted in a few spots. Only had one turn signal(rear) needed a front tire and a battery, but did run, and didn't have a ton of miles.

I got most of it fixed, and now I am working on turn signals... I am still waiting on parts for the rears, putting them in the side pods of the tail, and I bought some ebay china flushmounts for the front.

They have 3 wires, red, black, and black/white. I figure the 3rd is for running lights, and they do have dual fil. bulbs. I wired the black/white into the red/blue stripe wire from the harness to the instrument cluster, and the black to the black/yellow(or whatever color that other wire is) and the red to the green for hot.

When I start the bike, both lights light up....but one is on the brighter filament, and the other is on the dimmer filament...and the turn signal switch doesn't do anything....

Anyone got any advice?
snowman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #2
MR2Aaron
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Can you take the lamps out and turn them around?

My parents had a car that had turn signal lamps that had a bright filament and a less bright filament, and you could fit the lamps in backwards, leading to symptoms as you describe.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Bump for more help.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #4
baxtc1
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): '92 GPX 250 (Gone and replaced with '08 V-Strom), 2005 Suzuki C50.

Front right turn signal, black/yellow goes to black/yellow,
Grey goes to grey.
The third wire would be your running light wire.
Left front turn signal, black/yellow goes to black/yellow,
Grey goes to green, the other wire would be your running light.
Being after market lights the colours may be different, so you will have to try different combinations to find the correct setting. We don't have running lights in Australia, but my guess is that the running light will be the duller of the two, the turn signal will be the brighter fillament. Also, make sure you have both bulbs in, front and back, otherwise the flasher will nor work, the light will just stay on.
Hope this helps.
baxtc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
You have the same eBay lights as me.

This diagram really helped understand the bulb. http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et107a.htm

Based on the pictures of endless experiments, I have mine wired like this:

Red to green (turn signal)
Black/white to black/yellow (ground)
Black tapped into taillight wire (running light)

To make it easier to disconnect when I remove the fairing, I went out and bought a three wire connector from the local hardware store, wired the male end to the flush mounts and the female end to the original stock wire with a third one to the tail light wire.

Edit: after doing that, the lights blink REALLY FAST. I had to go get an electronic flasher to return it to a normal pulse. But since I eventually want to go to LEDs on the rear, I needed that anyway.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #6
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Here is my video on installing the China Flushmounts on a Ninja.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old June 30th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #7
snowman7
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Harold

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Thanks for the help. I got a little impatient, and just started switching wires around. I had the constant power and intermittent(signal) power wires mixed up. Switched those and it works fine.

That video is pretty nice. Those are the exact same design as my signals. I might have to remount mine, they look pretty ugly right now. I just drilled extra holes and tried to cover the recessed area from the old signals as best I could. I didn't have the stock signal base to use for a template to cover the front. I may have to trace it out and do something like that video. I did cut a big piece of aluminum plate to go inside the faring for a little support though. I'll see if I can get a pic up later.
snowman7 is offline   Reply With Quote