ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 11th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #1
tanghonglai
ninjette.org member

Name: Tang

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Right front turn signal not working

Hi all,

I hope someone in the forum can help me out. My bike's right front turn signal isn't working anymore, and the turn signal indicator on the dash flashes really fast. The bulb isn't blown, and I don't think the fuse is either or else the left wouldn't still have been working. So what else should I check?

Thanks,
Tang
tanghonglai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #2
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

The connectors are little bullet connectors that pull out really easy. They are right next to the radiator cap. Check those.

Old February 12th, 2014, 06:09 AM   #3
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
The connectors are little bullet connectors that pull out really easy. They are right next to the radiator cap. Check those.
what he said,

Connection issue, if the bullb is still good, the reason the turn signal indicator is blinking quickly is due to the lack of a load from the bulb.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 06:25 AM   #4
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanghonglai View Post
the turn signal indicator on the dash flashes really fast.
That's what it's designed to do when a bulb burns out and the load drops. If you only visually inspected the bulb, try actually replacing it (or just swap sides to see if the problem moves with the bulb). It might be bad but still look good. If the bulb really is good, then check the connections as stated. The circuit appears broken to the flasher - just need to find where it's broken.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #5
tanghonglai
ninjette.org member

Name: Tang

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Thank you all! It was indeed a connection problem.
tanghonglai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2014, 01:52 AM   #6
RBN
ninjette.org member

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): Frankenstein

Incase anyone else comes across this thread looking for answers there's a bit on these that has caused problems on all my bikes that have this holder (albeit I do live an a very wet country so a lot of stuff rots like crazy).

The bullet connectors on mine have always been fine as has the connector that goes to the middle pin on the bulb. But it's where the wire connects to the metal part of the bulb holder that fails. It fails because all they did was to strip the end of the cable and fit it so it gets mashed between the plastic and metal parts of the bulb holder, there is no actual crimped/soldered connection.

To remedy this I have:

For a quick fix as I'm about to go for a ride:
Held the plastic part firmly in my left hand, then CAREFULLY used pliers to twist the metal bulb holder back and fourth a few times.

For a more permanent fix:
Held the plastic part fo the bulb holder in my left hand and then CAREFULLY used pliers to pull the metal part right out, it's just an interference fit but requires a strong pull to remove it. With it removed you will now be able to remove the wire that connects to it. Assuming both are rotten you can either fit a new wire or clean the rot off the old one with a knife blade, clean the bulb holder too. Then apply a little vaseline to the end of the wire and reassemble.

Hope that helps someone
RBN is offline   Reply With Quote