ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 27th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #1
Darling Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Annette

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 ABS

Wearing feminine colors. Too much attention?

I wear a scorpion helmet and jacket. Both are white, pink, and there is some purple on my helmet. I like wearing feminine gear, but I've noticed that when I ride I get a lot of hooting and hollering from drivers, male and female.

I think for a lot of people, women riders are perceived as a novelty and not taken as seriously. Sometimes the hooting and hollering is a huge distraction. Imagine trying to go out for a relaxing ride and having someone go out of their way to match your speed just so they can shout "Good job girl!" or "Wooo-hooo!" I appreciate the praise, I just don't want you to startle me like that!

Ladies, for those of you who wear feminine gear: how do you handle the attention? Just ride along? Speed up so you can lose the driver? I had a guy follow me from light to light. I sighed when I got a left turn and he went straight.

Old April 27th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #2
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darling Ninja View Post
I had a guy follow me from light to light.
It could have been Nemesis... My bad, he only goes for shirtless dudes on Ninjas
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Darling Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Annette

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 ABS

LOL. Well, I never go shirtless. But, the other day I saw a rather large guy lane-splitting and he was wearing a shirt with the sleeves cut off. As he passed me, he pointed at me. I don't know why he was pointing at me, he was the one wearing a shirt with no sleeves ha ha.

Old April 27th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #4
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I see nothing wrong with it. If you can see me, good.

Here I am in my pink leathers that I wear every where. Just got black and pink Sidi boots to match too!

Bike2.jpeg

I also plan on adding more pink to my bike. I never used to be a pink girl until I fell in love with two wheels.
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #5
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

My pink helmet gives me away. I've been hassled a couple times but most of the attention is positive. If it bothers you then wear neutral colors, otherwise you will get attention because of it.

I think I can speek for Ceezy and myself in saying that we like the attention and give the big ol bird to the naysayers. With that said, we aren't from LA so your mileage may vary with that response. :-)
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #6
rceezy
Lean Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
My pink helmet gives me away. I've been hassled a couple times but most of the attention is positive. If it bothers you then wear neutral colors, otherwise you will get attention because of it.

I think I can speek for Ceezy and myself in saying that we like the attention and give the big ol bird to the naysayers. With that said, we aren't from LA so your mileage may vary with that response. :-)
Attention is good when it comes to me and my bike. Visibility makes all of the difference in the world.

Old April 27th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #7
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

I never get any kind of attention, but I'm pretty sure it's because I look like a pregnant hobbit in my textiles. I should try on my old leathers again and see if they still fit.

Old April 27th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #8
rceezy
Lean Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
I never get any kind of attention, but I'm pretty sure it's because I look like a pregnant hobbit in my textiles. I should try on my old leathers again and see if they still fit.
My mama-in-law puts these things on her helmet (not black and pink, but blonde/brown/red), lol. Cracks me up every time!

Old April 27th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #9
killerkay3
=°°=

Name: Imran

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha R6 / 2008 Green Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rceezy View Post
My mama-in-law puts these things on her helmet (not black and pink, but blonde/brown/red), lol. Cracks me up every time!

LOL wow, I can just imagine those blowing in the wind

Old April 27th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #10
rceezy
Lean Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkay3 View Post
LOL wow, I can just imagine those blowing in the wind
One day some one asked if she had drilled a hole in her helmet to pull her hair through. HEHE

Old April 27th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #11
lumi
ninjette.org member

Name: Lumi

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 250

I don't even wear feminine colors and get honked and waived at all the time

The weirdest guy stopped on the next lane at a red light with 2 car lengths from the next car just to yell something to me and take a picture I had just gone to the store without my backpack and stuffed what I'd bought inside my jacket, so probably looked heavily pregnant...

But I'm with RC, if they notice me, they're probably at least paying attention.
lumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #12
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

I had that happen once.....turns out I wasn't wearing any pants. True story.

Lesson: always wear pants.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #13
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
I had that happen once.....turns out I wasn't wearing any pants. True story.

Lesson: always wear pants.
hence your user name??
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #14
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
All the Ninjette Ladies are gorgeous deserve our respect.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #15
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
hence your user name??
Well...I am pretty hairy

Old April 27th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #16
rceezy
Lean Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashmonkey View Post
i had that happen once.....turns out i wasn't wearing any pants. True story.

Lesson: Always wear pants.
Monkey!!!!

Old April 27th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #17
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Monkey!!!!
What? Don't like pants? Me neither....still gotta wear 'em, though.

Old April 27th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #18
rceezy
Lean Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
What? Don't like pants? Me neither....still gotta wear 'em, though.
I hate wearing pants so I usually don't.

Old April 27th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #19
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

Name: Franco

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2006 Ninja 636

I am male, I have long hair, and I wear skinny jeans. I was zipping my jacket up while warming my bike up one night after work, when I heard "DAMN that's a SEXY-ASS bike!" from behind me. With the deepest voice I could muster, I turned and said "Thanks, dude." He then tried to play it off like he was just walking by and complimenting my ride, but his buddy, who was also somewhat intoxicated (I work next to a bar, and that night was 'dollar beer night') called out, "Dude, where are you going? The car's back here." Which totally meant he walked over specifically to hit on me.

Morals of this story: 1) the idea of a girl on a bike is totally sexy, and drives most men to do or say something(s) stupid--So it doesn't matter what you wear. If there's half a chance you're female and ride, you're gonna get attention.
2) My ego would have been better served had the compliment come from a female.

Old April 27th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #20
rceezy
Lean Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookitsfranco View Post
I am male, I have long hair, and I wear skinny jeans. I was zipping my jacket up while warming my bike up one night after work, when I heard "DAMN that's a SEXY-ASS bike!" from behind me. With the deepest voice I could muster, I turned and said "Thanks, dude." He then tried to play it off like he was just walking by and complimenting my ride, but his buddy, who was also somewhat intoxicated (I work next to a bar, and that night was 'dollar beer night') called out, "Dude, where are you going? The car's back here." Which totally meant he walked over specifically to hit on me.

Morals of this story: 1) the idea of a girl on a bike is totally sexy, and drives most men to do or say something(s) stupid--So it doesn't matter what you wear. If there's half a chance you're female and ride, you're gonna get attention.

Nice ass, is what he meant to say.

Old April 27th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #21
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Haha, yeah, you'll get heckled no matter what. The fact that motorcycle gear fits decently tight to the body when it's sized right can be a bit of a dead giveaway in any color. I keep my gear strictly Black and White (I'm a "hate pink/swirls and butterflies/froofy girly stuff" kind of person) but while I'm sure it keeps at least a few people off my back, I still get more than my share of colorful pestering, for better or for worse. At the very least, unlike when some creepy guy hits on me at the grocery store or the atm or, oh my freaking god- the DMV, I've got lane splitting privileges and an unstoppable 27 ponies to get me out of there. And the fun attention makes up for the more obnoxious people.

One of my favorite instances though- made me laugh the rest of the ride home anyways- This chick and what I assume was her boyfriend drove up next to me at a stop light and yells over to me all excited and enthusiastic, asking me how tall I was, how long I've been riding, stuff like that- trying to gauge whether riding was something she could do too or something. The light turned, and we both took off. Then, at the next red light, she yelled over, this time in this hilariously annoyed tone "He wants to know if you're wearing a thong under your leathers." I couldn't stop laughing long enough to answer her before the light turned green again, but it made my day a little brighter

I don't know that that extra attention will ever get you out of being run off the road from inattentive drivers, but nothing wrong with having some fun with it. Random stop light conversations with strangers is one of the best parts of riding the street
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #22
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

Quote:

lol, at least you got mistaken while on the bike in gear

i get mistaken for a chick while walking in casuals
i have long hair......

even ppl who already know me thought i was a chick from behind

here's a preview
and just to be sure, im not gay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_842311618l.jpg (19.7 KB, 18 views)
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #23
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:

Were you perhaps riding shirtless in Sacramento a few weeks ago? I think Nemesis is looking for you .

Old April 28th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #24
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

There are plenty of female riders that enjoy themselves on a bike without making their gender obvious. Wearing a pink tracksuit is just screaming to the world "I'm a girl - come bother me."

It's no different from girls who post on forums with very obvious female handles, then complain about all the leghumpers who PM them.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #25
speedgsx98
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja 2002, 2008 ZX10-R

This is a funny but interesting thread. Useful too since I just bought a 2nd 250 ninja for my wife. I like the helmet pigtails btw. Also, poster above who says he looks like a chick and is not gay...yeah, you do look pretty emo. Haha.

I used to have long hair in high school and I'm skinny 5'10 150 lbs. I remember the moment I decided to cut my hair was on free T-Shirt night at the baseball game when the person handing me the shirt from behind said, "Ma'am, you forgot to get your shirt." It was then that I realized, "How am I going to get chix if I look like one?" Unless I wanted to start dating lesbians ;-)

Old April 28th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #26
rceezy
Lean Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
There are plenty of female riders that enjoy themselves on a bike without making their gender obvious. Wearing a pink tracksuit is just screaming to the world "I'm a girl - come bother me."

It's no different from girls who post on forums with very obvious female handles, then complain about all the leghumpers who PM them.
I'm a girl, come bother me.

Old April 28th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #27
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
I'm a girl, come bother me.
OMG Hai 2 u
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #28
rceezy
Lean Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
OMG Hai 2 u
Damn it, these leg humpers.

Old April 28th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #29
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

PM's inbound!

Old April 28th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #30
rceezy
Lean Me

Fortunately, one of the best things about this site is that everyone here has respect for all riders, girl or not. I don't think it should matter what color gear I wear. I am a rider and I ride because I love it. Wearing brighter colors means I have a greater chance of being seen on the bike. I have two beautiful kids that I have an obligation to, so anything I can do to increase my visibility for safety means I get to come home to them every day after a ride.

Old April 28th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #31
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Sorry girls, but if you're a girl on a bike....its just hot. Soooooo hot. Its not like we can resist.

You get extra hottness brownie points if:
1. Have a ponytail hanging out the back of your helmet
2. If ponytail is red.
3. If you are wearing savannah pants.
4. If you just took the last sweeper scraping pegs.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #32
Flashmonkey

Haha man some of you guys need to start lookin' less feminine.....it's awkwardly arousing in this thread.

Old April 28th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #33
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Back when I had long hair, I got mistaken for a girl once when I was riding my bicycle. I'm cruising along and as I make a right hand turn I see a couple of young guys coming from the left, maybe a 1/4 mile down the road. Next thing I know, one of those guys pulls up alongside me, looks over, and is like o_o "...Oh." and goes on by. He must have busted ass to catch up to me to. I also every once in a while would go to a restaurant with my girlfriend, and the waiter comes up from behind saying, "Can I get you ladies anything to drink?" and then they see me and, again, "...Oh. Sorry."

I'm too much of a wuss to hit on a girl on a motorcycle, but rest assured I appreciate all of you nonetheless!
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #34
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

I totally love seeing a girl on a bike in full gear. It's totally sexy and I give big props for being a smart rider. I'd never say anything to her, but I sure do look. If it's pink leathers, all the better.

Old April 29th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #35
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

What are savannah pants?

I rode a 600 for the first time last night and I got a lot more looks than I usually do riding my 250. The 600 was lime green vs my black Ninja 250. S0, I'm thinking bike color makes you stand out a bit more too.

On a side note, I now know why everyone moves up to the power of a 600. They are just so darn fat.....
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #36
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
"He wants to know if you're wearing a thong under your leathers." I couldn't stop laughing long enough to answer her before the light turned green again, but it made my day a little brighter
Well...? The suspense is killing me!

Old April 29th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #37
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

I think the attention women get on MC's is more common when they are on a sportbike than a cruiser. I could care less what the gear looks like cause Im just staring at ass.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #38
rceezy
Lean Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali619 View Post
I think the attention women get on MC's is more common when they are on a sportbike than a cruiser. I could care less what the gear looks like cause Im just staring at ass.
Giggity.

Old April 29th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #39
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

Quote:
What are savannah pants?

I rode a 600 for the first time last night and I got a lot more looks than I usually do riding my 250. The 600 was lime green vs my black Ninja 250. S0, I'm thinking bike color makes you stand out a bit more too.

On a side note, I now know why everyone moves up to the power of a 600. They are just so darn fat.....
The big ones need loving too... wait you meant bikes, sorry carry on...
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #40
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
What are savannah pants?
Snazzy, protective hip huggers:

I've got the leather version

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruevibe View Post
Well...? The suspense is killing me!
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote